Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Trading and Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  06:06:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Icelander,

Fantastic idea on the use of portals! I am totally stealing that! I even remember reading somewhere from Ed that he commented on permanent gates, teleport-cirlces, etc. effectively going on the fritz on occasion and the people using it just not being seen or heard of anymore. Your idea seems to jive with that.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  07:11:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

Absolutely great information on those spells. I have to admit, I completely forgot about Item as a spell, and those others are awesome. If you can shrink them in size to 1/12th, then there is that much more that can go into a portable hole or bag of holding. That is the real deal with transportation for large scale economic development!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2020 :  00:13:43  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great topic! And something I think of often, both for the Forgotten Realms and also my various homebrew worlds.

In my muggle-life I am an economist, and perhaps I think about this stuff more than I should. One of my players is a trade economist and thinks about this stuff even more than I do!

I think the fundamental tension is as follows. On the one hand Forgotten Realms is full of trade which occurs on boats and, even more expensively, on overland caravans. On the other hand, the Forgotten Realms is full of magic, including magic allowing the instantaneous transportation of goods and people between one location and another. This begs the question, why not use this teleportation magic for trade instead of these old fashioned nonmagical methods?

So I think the first choice for every DM is whether teleportation-for-trade is something you want to embrace or to avoid. If you're embracing the use of teleportation magic to facilitate trade, probably the teleportation activity and network will grow until the opportunity costs of casting Teleport and/or maintaining Teleportation Circles are equal to the profit made from buying low in one region and selling high in another. This will standardize the prices of goods across the world, creating a 'world market', especially for high value-to-weight goods like magical items. Possibly low value-to-weight goods will still be transported in the old fashion nonmagical ways, but it is important not to underestimate how slow, expensive, and dangerous nonmagical methods of travel for trade are, especially overland trade.

Alternatively, you could try to cook things up somehow to make it so teleportation magic doesn't get used for trade. This is what Ed Greenwood tries to do yes? I think this is also the camp I'm in, largely because trade caravans and overseas boats are (1) cool and (2) great grist for adventure. So the challenge here is coming up with ways to make teleportation either too costly or too risky for it to be used profitably and sustainably for trade.

You could also split the difference -- having trade for high value-to-weight goods like magic items occurring via teleport, and low value-to-weight goods like grain occurring via boat.

TheIriaeban, do you agree with this way of analyzing things? And if so you're more in the embracing teleportation-for-trade camp?
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2020 :  03:36:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Wendolyn,

You are an economist?! :) I worked on cluster economics in my MBA. Not the biggest field of economics, but I found it interesting. You are the only other person on this site who I know of who has worked in the same field!

So....please....delve in and let's go crazy here! I also have another scroll that I created months ago about this, back in March. I'd love to discuss the Realms through that lens with you more! Below is the url to it:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23297&SearchTerms=economics

quote:
I think the fundamental tension is as follows. On the one hand Forgotten Realms is full of trade which occurs on boats and, even more expensively, on overland caravans. On the other hand, the Forgotten Realms is full of magic, including magic allowing the instantaneous transportation of goods and people between one location and another. This begs the question, why not use this teleportation magic for trade instead of these old fashioned nonmagical methods?

I commented another scroll I saw earlier about this! I have the URL below! I'd absolutely love to discuss this stuff with you. I saw you commented and apparently you responded here from that.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21439&SearchTerms=trade,teleportation

quote:
So I think the first choice for every DM is whether teleportation-for-trade is something you want to embrace or to avoid. If you're embracing the use of teleportation magic to facilitate trade, probably the teleportation activity and network will grow until the opportunity costs of casting Teleport and/or maintaining Teleportation Circles are equal to the profit made from buying low in one region and selling high in another. This will standardize the prices of goods across the world, creating a 'world market', especially for high value-to-weight goods like magical items. Possibly low value-to-weight goods will still be transported in the old fashion nonmagical ways, but it is important not to underestimate how slow, expensive, and dangerous nonmagical methods of travel for trade are, especially overland trade.

I agree with you, but to delve into it further, I feel the issue is that the few nations that could afford to create and maintain such a delivery system would facilitate either a monopolistic or oligopolistic response that would create significant deadweight loss. That loss might be good over a longer period for market entrants to leverage competitive advantage through disparate technologies of their own (other forms of magic perhaps) or more efficient and creative offerings.

I like your outlook on low value-to-weight goods as that really, to me, is an opportunity for those weak in the market to leverage better integration methods in the supply chain to develop competitive offerings. The monopolistic/oligopolistic inefficiencies (assuming they do what most do) could be made not as valuable if the supply chain became valuable in a manner where time was not as relevant. A JIT system is awesome most of the time, but not always, depending on what is being sold.

Have you read also read the D&D scaled for play accessory, "A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe"? It's by Expeditious Retreat Press, and it gives a great layman's perspective on monetary systems, specie, financing, banking in medieval times, a bit on contracts, etc. It's a great book for the person who is not vested in economics.

I very much look forward to talking to you about it more!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2020 :  04:21:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Wendolyn,

I also created this scroll for discussion. Let me know what you think about the economics of the deceased!

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23300

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2020 :  00:17:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Wendolyn,

quote:
In my muggle-life I am an economist, and perhaps I think about this stuff more than I should. One of my players is a trade economist and thinks about this stuff even more than I do!

Just following up on this as you are the only other person on here who does economic work for a living. I am not an actual economist, as I do consulting in that field alongside other disciplines, predominantly marketing and operations management.

I'd love to hear more from you on this. A rare treat for sure to run across someone in the same'ish field of work!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  12:10:16  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone may have already mentioned this but Mystra actively tries to prevent any one person/group/nation from establishing and controlling too many portals. There are dangers involving them and she also wishes to prevent them from dominating other people/groups/nations through them. You can reference one of her former Magisters (in Secrets of the Magister) for a bit of info on this (I forget which Magister it was though).

That said, assuming no Spellplague (or similar incidents in the future) I believe it's only a matter of time before your hypothetical portal trade comes to fruition. It's happened with at least 3 nations before (Netheril, Imaskar and Myth Drannor) on some level. Methinks it will happen again.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  17:02:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wendolyn

Great topic! And something I think of often, both for the Forgotten Realms and also my various homebrew worlds.

Alternatively, you could try to cook things up somehow to make it so teleportation magic doesn't get used for trade. This is what Ed Greenwood tries to do yes? I think this is also the camp I'm in, largely because trade caravans and overseas boats are (1) cool and (2) great grist for adventure. So the challenge here is coming up with ways to make teleportation either too costly or too risky for it to be used profitably and sustainably for trade.

You could also split the difference -- having trade for high value-to-weight goods like magic items occurring via teleport, and low value-to-weight goods like grain occurring via boat.

TheIriaeban, do you agree with this way of analyzing things? And if so you're more in the embracing teleportation-for-trade camp?

Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this.

I would say that teleporting for trade would be limited to luxury items (which is basically what Aurora's Emporium is) since they tend to have both low volume and low weight. I don't really see bulk trade (high volume/low profit margin) using magic for a couple different reasons:

1. Magic is power and the wizards that come up with the spells necessary for bulk trade would not share them. Wizards simply do not trust each other.

2. If one group got this trade advantage, you can bet that every other trade organization would do everything and anything to get that capability for themselves while also figuring out a way to sabotage the other guy. There are already spells in existence that will re-direct a teleport so I could see those being used to "hijack" any location that is a known teleport destination (I have no idea how Aurora compensates for that but she must have).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 27 Nov 2020 17:04:35
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  17:18:43  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Someone may have already mentioned this but Mystra actively tries to prevent any one person/group/nation from establishing and controlling too many portals. There are dangers involving them and she also wishes to prevent them from dominating other people/groups/nations through them. You can reference one of her former Magisters (in Secrets of the Magister) for a bit of info on this (I forget which Magister it was though).

That said, assuming no Spellplague (or similar incidents in the future) I believe it's only a matter of time before your hypothetical portal trade comes to fruition. It's happened with at least 3 nations before (Netheril, Imaskar and Myth Drannor) on some level. Methinks it will happen again.

I am not sure how divine goals would affect the development of portal trade:

1. Gond would not want magic to dominate in such a basic societal function. I could see him doing what he can to delay it until he has a technological solution to match it.

2. Mystra would want this since it would make magic more common place and thus acceptable to the general public. She would likely encourage it.

3. Waukeen would probably support this since having portal trade would increase the amount of trade.

4. Shaundakul may not like it. If you don't have long-range trade or caravans, why would you need a god for it. Would he risk losing followers?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  17:21:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Arcanamach,

Yeah, that makes sense regarding the domination of people's, nations, etc. through their use. I would honestly think by now though, that Shar would have pushed a much stronger agenda to dominate that way using the Shadow Weave.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000