Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  02:47:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Awesome podcast tonight. Hope I didn't ask too many questions. I can never decide what to choose out of the 20 some that I can always dig up.

There is no such thing as "too many questions" when it comes to that group. Questions keep them focused. Left to their own devices they inevitably start ranting about gnomes and Impiltur, and no one wants to hear about that

I do second the awesome podcast kudos, once again. Definitely looking forward to the next one, also!

But if Iyachtu Xvim is wandering Impiltur handing out girl scout cookies that turn people into evil gnomes, we might need to talk more about that don't we? At least I think I remember something about cookies and gnomes. :)

I heard it was cookies made OF gnomes. They were red velvet.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  11:12:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

In the Blackstaff novel, at the beginning there are a lot of interesting items/artifacts whom I'd love to know more about :

The Fanged Tome of Lykanthus Szar, Alaundo’s loop, Annals Adamarus, goblet made of glacial ice and embedded with rubies , its content steaming hot.

As much as I'd love to know everything about all of those items I'll try to be not too greedy XD . Is it possible to have a physical description of Alaundo's loop at least?

Steven, Eric and I were looking at doing a write-up of these items for a DMs Guild article. It's on the "to-do" list.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Apr 2021 11:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2021 :  16:29:07  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes!! Thank you so much, Blackstaff's novel had a lot of interesting items I'd have loved to know more about! Write-ups of artifacts-items in the novels sounds awesome!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  21:21:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like there will be a podcast on Friday, May 14, focused on magic item creation. If you've got a named but otherwise undetailed item from some obscure lore reference, put it here and we'll try to get it on the list.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:21:23  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Looks like there will be a podcast on Friday, May 14, focused on magic item creation. If you've got a named but otherwise undetailed item from some obscure lore reference, put it here and we'll try to get it on the list.

I would be interested in knowing a little bit about what you all think of the "hows" of magic item creation.

I was always interested by that moment in Silverfall where Mirt comes across Dove while she's dancing and letting herself be stabbed repeatedly by swords so that her silver fire will enhance/enchant them in response. The game-mechanics for item creation are a drudge at times, particularly in, for example, 3rd edition (use spell X, Y, Z, have the necessary item creation feat, spend some gold and XP and time, boom there's your item), but there are no end of campaigns where the player has wanted to craft a magic item and then have the DM institute a quest for a specific component. A timeless classic is a suit of dragonscale armour needing a dead dragon.

My apologies for a question so very open-ended, and which probably has myriad answers, but any thoughts would certainly be interesting to me. Assuming you aren't already going to be talking about all that!

For actual items that aren't already detailed, at risk of running into NDAs, there are still three Imaskarcana (Second, Fourth, and Sixth?) for which we don't know anything at all.

But the Imaskarcana that I really want to know about is the Seventh, which in an old Lost Empires of Faerun web enhancement resembled a large, golden key and contains all of the Imaskari knowledge on creating and maintaining permanent extradimensional spaces, plus additional powers beyond that.

Other than that, I would offer a question for an item not particularly obscure save for the where, namely where is the Artblade of Cormanthor? By the 15th century DR both the Crownblade and the Warblade have since resurfaced. The Crownblade is even wielded by Ilsevele. Is the location of the Artblade locked down under a long-held NDA? Does somebody not want it to be found?

(Is Josidiah secretly still alive and/or carrying it somewhere?)

I could ask about so much more relating to magic items, their creation, their hows and whys (for example, the Arcstaff of Khavoerm and the silver dragon produced from it, was that an actual dragon Khavoerm spelled to go into it when it was being made?), but I'll try and stop there.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:27:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the Firestaff of Aunagar the Black?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:30:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moon penguin of Boof.

I'm only joking, I will get an actual list together asap, but I couldnt resist

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  16:42:17  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question has actually come to mind, though again it's not on the creation of specific magic items so much as the number of them, and how the use of them plays into Realms fiction you write, either novels or sourcebooks.

In a given D&D setting there is what some gamers refer to as the Christmas Tree element, where an adventurer could end up wearing enough magic items to purchase a small kingdom (and might complain vociferously if the DM were to remove items from them as part of a plot).

Compare that with classic sword and sorcery pulp fiction, where Conan doesn't even have a magic sword and sorcerers/wizards/warlocks in Howard's writing have little in the way of magic items. Hopping over to science fiction, Jedi have the Force but the "magic" is generally all them instead of stuff they carry; even though movies and books focus on the space-wizard-monks it doesn't feel like what they can do with the Force is defined by what they're wearing.

Or in The Lord of the Rings there is of course Narsil/Anduril, Glamdring, the Rings of Power, and so on, but these things are always rare and above all special, with history and story weight attached to them.

You see this approach in some Realms stories or sourcebooks:

- Drizzt had just two scimitars and Guenhwyvar's figurine for quite a while.
- Wulfgar carries a magic hammer and that's about it.
- Arilyn Moonblade has a moonblade and a Harper pin.
- Alias has just an enchanted chain shirt and longsword.
- Alusair has an enchanted signet ring and an amulet of proof against detection and location (but may have others).
- Elaith carries a ring of the ram and potion of healing, but rarely ever uses them.

On the other hand, you have Vangerdahast who in the Knights of Myth Drannor books had something like 8+ magic rings on him in one scene, or Larloch's swarm of ioun stones. Malchor Harpell has a staff of the magi plus a host of magic rings and other business on him whenever he leaves his tower.

I'm wondering what you all think of either style in relation to magic items, about a "minimalist" approach versus "Christmas tree" approach, and how you approach the use of either in your Realms fiction (or Realms writing more generally).

(Apologies again for a long question, and apologies as well if it's not really on theme for the podcast!)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  18:36:02  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oooh there are so many XD Besides the many many items in the Blackstaff novel, it comes to mind at the moment:

Some new Qysari rings?

Artstave of Alithair from the Impiltur supplement Dragon 346.

The Tripartite Orb from Realms of the Arcane. It only suggests it negates magic.

Some of the Imaskarcana? Both real and fake ones.

Also is it possible that the drow ever created something similar to a moonblade or the kiiras? Like their own twisted version of those? It'd be interesting how Lolth would deem someone worth it of a Drow Moonblade XD

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  20:06:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you asked.... figured I'd come up with some stuff that might produce something interesting. If you do provide some answers to any of the below, can you please give the responses to this thread?

Regarding Blueflame Magic items

Who were the "Imprisoners" that were working with Larloch to create the blueflame magic items, or was it just Larloch himself? If it was more than just Larloch, what percentage (if any) of the "Imprisoners" were simulacrums of Larloch himself?

Do any blueflame magic items still exist that were not used to fuel Mystra's return, and what might we know about them? What are the "fell powers" of the known (and unknown if any remain) blueflame magic items that can be used whenever the ghost is not released?

Besides the nine and Mirt, who else has been imprisoned in blueflame items and in what items?

Did Larloch ever "forcibly" or "aid" the conversion of living spellcasters into liches to fuel the creation of blueflame magic items (for instance, finding some aging living spellcaster of 11th level or higher and providing them the costly materials for a phylactery and recipe for the potion they must imbibe and either encourage them to change or use magic to coerce their conversion)?

Were the phylacteries of the liches that were used to empower blueflame magic items destroyed, or were the spirits of the creatures simply "detached" from them and then used to empower the ritual? By that, I mean, could he have "saved the cost" of creating a new lich's phylactery somewhat by tearing down a previous phylactery for "components"?

Were any blueflame magic items amongst the "several magic items" given to Szass Tam by Larloch in order that he might try to compel Tam?

On a separate topic "The Tome of Fastrin the Delver"

Was the Tome of Fastrin the Delver which contained "The Ritual of Unmaking" and its history a bit of a lie (we already have two different time references for when the kingdom existed, one "when Netheril was young" and the other "soon after the fall of Netheril")?

Is there any possibility to the rumor that the kingdom of Fastrin the Delver was secretly one of the first Ravenloft domains, and the sunrise mountains simply copied?

Is there any possibility to the other rumor that the Tome of Fastrin the Delver was planted by the "Zulkir of Transmutation in hiding" Talaskos Murthrond (see dragon 427) along with a coercion spell to have the Zulkir of Transmutation who found the tome show the book to Tam?

Was the ritual that was cast in any way tied to the concepts of Worldfire that Talaskos Murthrond was studying?

Is there any truth to the idea that Talaskos Murthrond's study of "magical mists" can be related to the mists of Ravenloft, and might he have had any involvement with Hazlik being transferred to Ravenloft as a domain lord?

Would the Ritual of Unmaking have truthfully transferred Tam to Ravenloft in a domain under his complete control?

FROM BURY ELMINSTER DEEP, just to cover what I can recall on blueflame magic items
El listened in thoughtful silence, and Manshoon in growing, eyestalk-quivering fury, as she added, “One archwizard was behind the enchanting of all the blueflame items, using many as his dupes. They were his bid to maintain his own existence, but he built into them the means to watch over all who used the items-for sport and amusement, as well as to effectively compel such wielders.”

“ ‘One archwizard’? Who?” Manshoon spat.

“The ‘Imprisoner’ is the one called Larloch. He bound all the magic and essence of three of his servant liches into each ghost-imprisoning item-sacrifices to empower the items.”

“Larloch?”

The Simbul ignored Manshoon’s angry disbelief. “The items are more than extra-dimensional prisons and ghost-controllers. Each possesses a fell power of its own, usable whenever the ghost is imprisoned, and dormant when the ghost is out.”

“And if a ghost is destroyed?” Elminster asked quietly.

“The item will crumble,” The Simbul replied. “Its magic discharged and forever lost.”

“No!” the beholder snarled. “You lie!”

“I do not lie, Manshoon. You lie, easily and often, as it suits your desires, and so have fallen into lazily thinking all others must, too. Consider how easy it would be for me to destroy you, rather than spend time telling you this. Consider further my strong temptation to do so. Yet, I refrain. Consider that I do so for this higher purpose, this necessity of saving the world we share. Now, will you hear the rest, or will I spell-scourge you until you are humbled and forced to yield?”

The beholder hung silently in the air for what seemed a very long time.

“I… I will listen,” it said at last.

“Wise of you. Mystra and Azuth allowed Larloch’s self-serving plan to succeed because they deemed it necessary. Like the lich lord, they saw it as a way of cheating the coming Spellplague, which they dared not try to prevent as the increasingly unstable Weave raced toward crashing ruin. It needed to be renewed or replaced, and Mystra knew either outcome would destroy her. She also knew she could preserve something of herself and the secrets of the Art she’d inherited-and Azuth could do the same-by insinuating it into the minds of Larloch’s liches, and so into the blueflame items.”

“Which means…” Storm said slowly.

Her sister smiled. “Which means the items contain seeds that could perhaps bring back Larloch, or even something… someone more… if used in the right manner.”

“Uh,” Arclath mumbled, “I’m not sure Rune or I should be hearing this…”

Ignoring him, The Simbul went on sternly, “It is imperative blueflame items must be wielded to close rifts and restore the balance of Toril, or the ancient Primordials will rise and rage unleashed across the lands… and inevitably, what will eventually be left will not be the world we know, the realms of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, and the rest. Dragons may survive, but probably as enslaved steeds, not conquering wyrms. Their time is past.”

She looked from one person to another, staring last up at the beholder, whose rays had faded away.

“El and Manshoon, will you both work to make sure the time of humans is not ended?”

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 May 2021 20:36:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  20:20:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh one other

Any info on this artifact Daarthos Koruna found in the sunrise mountains (i.e is it JUST seven circlets which hide their wearers or something more)

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070425

hile many Thayans look down on warmages as narrow-minded louts, they can't deny the usefulness of having a contingent of these casters in their armies. From the perspective of the Red Wizards, warmages make excellent subjects because they are powerful weapons but lack the magical protections to defend themselves against mental control. A band of politically neutral warmages has arisen in Thay in recent years under the leadership of Norano Reked (N Mulan male warmage 14). Calling itself Daarthos Koruna after a strange magical artifact the members discovered in the Sunrise Mountains, the band serves Thay as mercenaries for hire. The Daarthos Koruna are seven circlets that render their wearers undetectable by magical and psionic means. For the most part, the band clears out the ruins of the Sunrise Mountains and Delhumide, but they have been known to perform special missions for a number of zulkirs.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  20:52:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

More than said here?

https://www.realmshelps.net/npc/wyrms/balagos.shtml

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  21:08:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, what the hell.... kind of a magic item.... magical pits

There's several magical "pits" found in places where either drow are or where there might be other underdark elements. For instance

The Pit of Maleficence in the Cliffside City of Peleverai in the Shaar where Gargauth was trapped
The Dark Pit in Narathmault/Dun-Tharos
Athamault the Iron Pit (from Lost Empires of Faerun)
The Pit of Ghaunadar in Undermountain

Other than them being obvious places of great evil, is there any other commonality to these magical places? Any of them similar to the wells of darkness?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 May 2021 21:15:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  21:13:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and I guess one final ... kind of a magic item....

The various "portals" that have opened and dropped Illuskans/northmen/Rus into various places around the realms (i.e. Rashemen, the eastern Shaar, etc...).... song paths made by the elves that got triggered by some bard singing a song they find with the "triggering controls" of the elven portal system focusing on certain words or snippets only that might have gotten reused in human songs?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2021 :  00:30:53  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Snoring Shield of Antalassiter! (from The Temptation of Elminster)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2021 :  15:12:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

More than said here?

https://www.realmshelps.net/npc/wyrms/balagos.shtml

I was hoping to hear more about Aunagar and maybe how it ended up in Balagos' claws? Who was he? When was he?

Another one would be The Shadowstar. I know we have had discussions about it here on the forums but it would be nice if something "official" were to be done to clean up the lore on it. And to also say what it can do. I know that is asking a lot but if you are going to ask for submissions, I might as well shoot for the moon.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  18:03:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wyrms of the North thread made me realize I never posted what I came up with for Aunagar based on what Ed said during this podcast (thank you, Eric, for getting my question in). Here is the quick and dirty that I came up with for Aunagar and his wife:

Aunagar the Black and Princess Cyanacia
Aunagar was already a powerful mage in Tashalar when he met the second daughter of an influential merchant in the spring of 1235 (the merchant claimed to be the son of a merchant prince that survived the destruction of Procalith in 1142). The daughter, Princess Cyanacia, was not unlovely but had spurned all suitors until Aunagar came along. They both recognized a mutual desire for power and thus were soon married. While it was simply a marriage of convience with no romantic love, they did develop a feeling of “ownership” towards the other over the years (“that is MY wife”, “that is MY husband”).

As a means of seizing rulership of the area, Aunagar studied what happened during the Rage of Wizards of the previous century. It took years of research, but he believed he had spotted the weaknesses of that plan. He then spent more years planning what he came to believe was a foolproof plan to acquire the power that both he and his wife was looking for. Unfortunately, there was just a couple of things he needed to do first.

To provide both the protection and power the plan required for his wife, he created for her a dress that would allow her to absorb magic cast at her. She could then use that magic to power her other magic items so that they would not lose charges or uses per day. It would also stop her from physically aging (a must have feature as far as she was concerned).

The second part was discovered through his personal divination cards. He believed that Savras had granted his prayer by giving him a vision of an artifact that would allow him to easily sieze power. To be able to gain the item, he would have to kill the old red dragon Hulrundrar in his lair south of Iriaebor. It was then that he made his Firestaff. It would both provide protection from the dragon’s most powerful weapon while also being of use to kill his main rival on his path to power: the ice mage Menalbdos.

And so, it came time that in the mid-summer of 1258, Aunagar traveled to the lair of Hulrundrar. Unfortunately for him, between the divination and his arrival, Hulrandrar had been killed by Balagos, “The Flying Flame.” Unprepared for how Balagos behaved in battle, he was summarily killed with a single bite, leaving behind only his staff and a pair of boots containing his now skeletal feet.

Princess Cyanacia eventually grew furious at her husband’s apparent failure when he didn’t return. She then came up with and started her own plan for domination. However, almost immediately after she completed her first step, a rival successfully poisoned her food and she died that night. It was then that she discovered the final power of the dress: to grant her an undead existence similar to that of a lich but grantable to someone that isn’t a spellcaster (Aunagar had planned to go though the steps to become a lich and that way they could rule together, forever).

Cyanacia is still active to this day. She appears to be a handsome woman in her later 30’s with a commanding presence. Of course, she does what she needs to conceal her undead status so she can move around in the social circles she desires. She has also operated under several names over the years. Through it all, she is still searching for that perfect plan that will give her dominon over her homeland. And, naturally, any news about her husband’s remains and their location.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  23:03:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff is lame and forgot to post here, but we had another session last night.

Go to the twitch channel to watch the tape.

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2021 :  02:14:47  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jeff is lame and forgot to post here, but we had another session last night.

Go to the twitch channel to watch the tape.

Boo, Jeff. Yay, streamVOD! (if you haven't watched it yet, the Twitch link is, as always, twitch.tv/magesandsagespodcast – go down to the Videos tab to watch).

Excellent as always (and now new and improved with no early echoechoecho issues!). Regale yourselves to tales of how many Manshoons (and Volo) are wingless wonders, The Assassination of The Blackstaff by The (well-paid) Coward Steven Schend, SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED~!, the brief rise (and finger-lickin' fall) of The Cult of The Hand of Manshoon, and, uh, some rather unfortunate comparisons of George Krashos to gnomes (which shall of course remain unprinted here).

(oh and a bunch of other, actual "real" Realmslore, too)

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Greenwood, ~00:16:45 in
Because nobles have always had the money to indulge their eccentricities -- whatever those eccentricities are -- for some of them it's collecting boots...

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Greenwood, ~00:27:15 in
Though, as one of The [Silent] Nine put it, "that's not quite true -- I spat out his boots."

There's a short story here, and you will not convince me that Ed hasn't already written it

Also, someone please tell Steven to change his camera. I watched the 3-hour VOD over three days, and last night I woke up in a cold sweat from a nightmare of Steven standing over my bed, looking down at me like that

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2021 :  03:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Also, someone please tell Steven to change his camera. I watched the 3-hour VOD over three days, and last night I woke up in a cold sweat from a nightmare of Steven standing over my bed, looking down at me like that

Mea culpa, Aja. Was forced by circumstances of being away from home and joining in via iPhone, which refused to stay stable or at an agreeable angle.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2021 :  03:25:30  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Mea culpa, Aja. Was forced by circumstances of being away from home and joining in via iPhone, which refused to stay stable or at an agreeable angle.

Oh, no apologies needed, Steven. The technical issues were quite obvious (and unfortunate – and, also, obviously frustrating for you). The various Manshoon banter and the lore on Holyhands House made up for it in spades.

10/10, would trade a few night terrors for it any day!

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2021 :  13:07:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Question

Eric,

What is that background behind you that looks like the shelves of the library of Candlekeep? Is that just some poster/painting... or did you make wallpaper or something. That looks pretty cool on screen.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RationalRedneck
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  04:01:28  Show Profile Send RationalRedneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings sages! I've recently discovered the podcast on the recommendation of a youtuber named AJ Pickett. You should have him as a guest sometime! Here is my question.

In the city of Ankhapur on the lake of steam, in southern Faerun all the Tressym’s disappear for three days every year on the day before highsummer.

Part A: Where do they go and what do they do?

Part B: They have embedded themselves in nearly every noble family and wealthy merchant house on the continent; as well as established enclaves in major areas of agricultural production. Is Ed claiming NDA on the subject really just an admission that these creatures are secretly planning world domination?

Edited by - RationalRedneck on 23 Aug 2021 04:05:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  08:16:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RationalRedneck

Greetings sages! I've recently discovered the podcast on the recommendation of a youtuber named AJ Pickett. You should have him as a guest sometime! Here is my question.

In the city of Ankhapur on the lake of steam, in southern Faerun all the Tressym’s disappear for three days every year on the day before highsummer.

Part B: They have embedded themselves in nearly every noble family and wealthy merchant house on the continent; as well as established enclaves in major areas of agricultural production. Is Ed claiming NDA on the subject really just an admission that these creatures are secretly planning world domination?

That's not Ed Greenwood lore, it's Steven Schend lore. And I suspect it's one of his standard dangling hooks to get people thinking. As always, he's succeeded.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

RationalRedneck
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  13:18:15  Show Profile Send RationalRedneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That's not Ed Greenwood lore, it's Steven Schend lore. And I suspect it's one of his standard dangling hooks to get people thinking. As always, he's succeeded.

-- George Krashos

The listed authors for the FR campaign setting are Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, and Rob Heinsoo. Was that guide citing another source? Or am I missing something about how contributor's are credited (Very Likely)? Or was this the sort of thing mentioned in passing at a pub or written as a footnote on notes that were shared around internally, that made it into print?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  14:35:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, I'm Calumni Prevaericaetur of Songfarla,

It's a little known or understood feature of the multiverse that the find familiar spell actually pulls familiars from somewhere else, and this location moves. For those 3 days, all tressym familiars summoned actually come from Ankhapur.

No, that's true... I am not lying to you... ::looks at the faerie floating beside her:: ..... stop with the giggling Mindasiti Faeblespeker, you'll give us away.

::glares at the giggling faerie Mindasiti, until she begins to cough and then take on a very sober look::

Well, in all seriousness, the truth behind this mystery can be linked to a portal which opens there periodically, summoning through the physical manifestation of Ishistu the Albino Rat, the Great Hairless One, Lord of Perfection (see the Al-Quadim product "Cities of Bone"). It's said that at this time, Ishistu is entrapped within the forest, but that he calls all rats and mice for miles to come to him in an attempt to free him from his prison. It is unknown who entrapped him thus, but the opening of this portal also sends out a silent-to-all-but-tressym call to come to the Ankhwood and hunt rodents, utilizing what appears to be an advanced form of pipes of the sewers made entirely of rodent bones. There are those who believe that it was Bastet who thus entrapped this lesser godling, whom some have mistakenly referred to as "Sneel" in the past. Others say it was the cat lord, Nobanion, Eldath, Lurue, and some even say it was simply a mortal wizardess who thus confined this godling and setup the "Call of the Tressym". It is rumored that after this wild hunt of rodents, most female tressym also experience another period of estrus or "heat", and afterwards many young tressym are born. It's said that the tressym often take personal names from their accomplishments in this rodent hunt, such as calling themselves "The Hundredshunter". And that is the gods' honest truth.

::at which point, the very serious looking faerie, Mindasiti, began to nod its head in the affirmative quite slowly, as if to emphasize just how true this is::

A few seconds later, a green portal opened beside the gnome, and the two of them stepped through and disappeared.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 23 Aug 2021 15:32:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  15:35:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

I'd wager it has something to do with the Cat Lord from the AD&D comics. Steven included the main characters in his published Realmslore, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to sneak in a Cat Lord bit with something like this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RationalRedneck
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2021 :  22:24:59  Show Profile Send RationalRedneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How often are constructs used for things like farm labor and construction? Among nations, municipalities, and organizations with resources to afford such things, where would their use be most and least prevalent? What social and economic forces are preventing their widespread adoption?

When is the next podcast? :)

Edited by - RationalRedneck on 04 Oct 2021 01:18:26
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2021 :  02:28:26  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RationalRedneck, The Mages & Sages are scallywags, layabouts, and ne'er-do-wells of the highest order, and expecting them to stick to a firm schedule is nothing less than folly. Over on their Facebook page they are currently soliciting suggestions for another [ ED VOICE ] DEEEP DIVE INTO WATERDEEP [ /ED VOICE ], but no dates thus far announced.

(and still working on getting those pre/GenCon videos up and attem on their YouTube page)

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 06 Oct 2021 02:30:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2021 :  15:11:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

RationalRedneck, The Mages & Sages are scallywags, layabouts, and ne'er-do-wells of the highest order, and expecting them to stick to a firm schedule is nothing less than folly. Over on their Facebook page they are currently soliciting suggestions for another [ ED VOICE ] DEEEP DIVE INTO WATERDEEP [ /ED VOICE ], but no dates thus far announced.

(and still working on getting those pre/GenCon videos up and attem on their YouTube page)

Wow, what spell is that... it's like you channeled the voice of Ed Greenwood for just a moment.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000