Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2019 :  06:00:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for collating all of these Wooly. For future reference, it might also assist if you noted the date of Ed's Twitter reply. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2019 :  23:25:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On equivalent terms to "black and white" - 13/01/2019:

@sno4wy:
Are there any sayings in the Realms that is analogous to the phase, "black and white" (involving clearly defined opposing principles or issues) in our world?

@TheEdVerse:
Oh, yes. "Clear before the gods" is the phrase, which is a corruption of a quote from Augathra the Mad: "Clear before all gods." The dwarves have an equivalent, now (rendered into Common) in common use among all trading races: "Edge and flat" [meaning any fool can FEEL the difference between the edge and flat of a blade [of an axe or a sword]. The elven equivalent is "sun and moon" [meaning anyone with eyesight can tell the difference between sunlight and moonlight]. #Realmslore

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 14 Jan 2019 11:14:23
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  11:32:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Neverwinter's layout - 9/01/2019

@Bluzpicker:
@TheEdVerse Dear Mr. Greenwood, I returned to play 5e after 32 years away from D&D. I want to run a 5e campaign in the city of Neverwinter and am seeking details. I'm frustrated I can't locate shops and streets mentioned in canonical materials on a city map. Can you please help?

@TheEdVerse:
Sure, but this is something I've answered a LOT, here on Twitter and on Facebook and at Candlekeep. (Where others have answered, too.) You do have the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book, and have looked at the Locations in Neverwinter on the FR wiki, yes?

@Bluzpicker:
Thanks for responding to my inquiry. Sorry for wasting your time. I have the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, but no maps of Neverwinter come with street names, only a few buildings identified unlike the Waterdeep maps I have seen. I'll look at Candlekeep. TY

@TheEdVerse:
No worries! Here's the first relevant previous tweet of mine: Dannar’s Mechanical Marvels (from Volo's GuidettNorth) stands in the Blacklake District, next door to Jaesor’s Fineware Porcelain Works. Jaesor’s is on the NE corner where The Street Of Storms (which runs along the inside of the NWern run of the city wall) meets Hantor’s Lane, which runs SE. Dannar’s fronts on Hantor’s Lane. Blackule Lane (which several schools and academies front on) is also in the Blacklake District. (I'll look for more.) The backlore is that past rulers of Neverwinter forbade publication of maps of the city "for security reasons." Which meant no maps with tags. When Lord Neverember relaxed this, we got maps with individual sites marked...but still no street names. So I've been directing traffic for gamers ever since. ;}

@Bluzpicker:
Thanks again. I collected enough fragments of information that I can proceed assigning locations on the excellent map I purchased from Mike Schley. I realize that my assignment of some businesses and shops will be somewhat arbitrary, but will suffice for my campaign purposes.

@TheEdVerse:
Great. Some of the shop/building locales are "fuzzy" even when we designers discuss things privately, I'm afraid, because the maps don't QUITE match what was said in fiction prose or in published adventures. The computer game locales don't exactly vie with the maps, either. If I were you, I'd put it down to businesses moving after fires or to upsize while enjoying successes or downsizing because trade is bad, plus the upheavals within the city, and site individual things where they work best for you.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  10:17:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Dodkong:

@newbiedm
i’m just going to go to the source. i love The Dodkong from the Grand History book. What is his goal? I want to make him the big bad guy in a campaign, what drives him, what would be a neat way to use him? How do you all envision using him in a game?

@TheEdVerse

I've always intended the Dodkong to be a guy who wants (very slowly and patiently, working "under the radar" for as long as possible to avoid interference from the likes of Larloch and the Srinshee and the Seven) to shatter the dominance of humans, and then elves and orcs after that so as to prevent their rising to fill the power vacuum, so he can "restore" giants to mastery over Faerûn. And at the same time, he would "reorder" the status quo among giants by humbling cloud giants and storm giants, to let the stone and fire giants have their chances to reign. And he would do this in part by manipulating dragons and dracoliches into personal fights with cloud and storm giants, to weaken and eliminate as many dragons as possible ere giants rose to ascendancy.

Not small goals, and not easily or swiftly achieved. But he's all about playing the Long Game. Like Larloch, remaking Toril the way he wants it to be. Fomenting wars amongst humans, widespread slaughter among the drow and all goblinkin, and tolerating only hin, gnomes, and dwarves as acceptable giant servitor races.

However, I defer to Tom Costa in this, a superb sage of Realmslore who's contributed much over the years yet remained largely unsung. If he has something different in mind, run with it...

(And BTW, what I've outlined here doesn't clash with Storm King's Thunder. Run both at once)

@jaa0109
Just once I want Ed to respond with a lore question with, "I was shitfaced when I wrote that, I have no idea."

Just one time!

@TheEdVerse
I have no idea. I was shitfaced when Tom Costa wrote that. ;}

@JuhlAagaard
Hot dang, that's awesome. Thanks, always wanted to use the dodkong in my own campaign ever since I first saw him in the Grand History of the Realms. This might make it happen, finally.

@TheEdVerse
The Dodkong has no interest in fighting adventurers; the "running under the radar" style means he's almost always going to work through intermediaries (like manipulated bands of NPC adventurers, orc tribes, drow, cloud and storm giants). YEARS of mayhem at the gaming table.

@JuhlAagaard
That's exactly what appeals to me, nothing is what it seems in my campaign. The players my think that they are fighting small time criminals, giblinoids etc, but behind those groups, there is almost always something more sinister going on. Be it the Zhents, Red Wizards or the Eldreth Veluuthra. Sometimes they don't discover that right away. So I shelve the idea or return to it at a later date. I like to surprise... and sometimes confuse my players a bit.

@TheEdVerse
Heh. The "home" Realms campaign is like that, too. And has been, for forty years. (Which is one of the reasons it's so hard to impart its feel in one-shot games at conventions.) Intrigues and subplots, intrigues and subplots. Great training for the real world, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  10:50:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Lliiran celebrations:

@jayeedgecliff
today being Christmas got me to wondering about my Lliiran cleric.
Has she got a calendar of holy days? Or is every day containing at least one vowel or consonant a festival day and requiring a grand celebration?

@TheEdVerse
Heh. You're welcome!
Lliiran clerics are all about spontaneous celebrations, made meaningful by links to personal meanings. So they celebrate things friends and acquaintances do, or achieve, or did (anniversaries). Unlike other faiths, it's about "all of us" (incl. commoners).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  10:52:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Hillfarian or Hillsfarian:

@Dvergr76
Hillfarian or Hillsfarian? I've seen both used.

@TheEdVerse
Folk in the Realms use both, but sages and scribes stick with "Hillsfarian."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  10:53:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On surfing in the Realms, 12/24/18:

@Welhaven1
Does anyone go surfing in the Realms? I kind of want to make a Point Break style adventure somewhere on the Sword Coast

@TheEdVerse
On the coast of Tethyr, right where it adjoins Calimshan, local folk fish for the small brown local crayfish by swimming out with a board that has a small parachute-shaped stone-weighted drag-net attached to it, then surfing the waves in, to fill the net. Some do it with style.;}

@Welhaven1
Awesome! Thank you so much

@TheEdVerse
A pleasure. I would think they'd have done the same in Ulgarth and Var the Golden, circa the 1350s, but haven't yet developed lore that far in those areas...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2019 10:54:52
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  23:40:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On Lliiran celebrations:

@jayeedgecliff
today being Christmas got me to wondering about my Lliiran cleric.
Has she got a calendar of holy days? Or is every day containing at least one vowel or consonant a festival day and requiring a grand celebration?

@TheEdVerse
Heh. You're welcome!
Lliiran clerics are all about spontaneous celebrations, made meaningful by links to personal meanings. So they celebrate things friends and acquaintances do, or achieve, or did (anniversaries). Unlike other faiths, it's about "all of us" (incl. commoners).

I find this very fitting. I see Lliiran clerics as the consummate "wedding and firstmorn planners" of the realms. Its not about celebrating in a massive festival, but simply celebrating individuals and the notable things that they make of their lives. They focus on the small achievements that show people that they matter, and in return the "small folk" give what they can to the church to help someone else celebrate down the line.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  02:56:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven bladesong:

@Jon_4L
was there a particular inspiration for the Bladesong that Elves have? And have you ever performed one or asked someone to perform one?

@TheEdVerse
One of my earliest daydreams of elves dancing in forests with drawn swords (age 5 or so, so about a decade before D&D) was the inspiration. Yes, I've performed several at early GenCons (when my knees still worked, and pre-throat surgery when I could still sing).

I've never asked someone to perform one, but have watched several performances of bladesongs by others at RenFaires and conventions.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2019 03:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  02:57:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Waterdhavian prisons:

@ethankillett
I'm having a hell of a time finding any information about an actual prison or dungeon in Waterdeep. I have a character that's murdered a citizen and a horse "in self defense." I'm even looking at the TSR books and can't find a solid answer.

@TheEdVerse
This was covered in my Wizards website articles on the Watch, some years back. Every wall-tower in the city serves as a Watch barracks/armory/patrol station, with before-sentencing lockup cells beneath it. Sentences increasingly tend towards fines, then exile and so on, but the "imprisonment" parts are served in the dungeons beneath Castle Waterdeep, with overflow cells more recently carved out of the chilled-by-sea-winds north face of Mount Waterdeep (which is extensively tunneled and holds many things). ;}
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2019 03:00:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  02:58:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(In response to a picture of a lawyer's office; Ed uses the lawyers names in his post)

@MileyMan1066
your take good sir?

@TheEdVerse
Elminster frowns on worldhopping legal shenanagins. Pretty sure Skadron the bandit leader and sometime pirate hasn’t the temperament for legal work; “Harps” is a half-elf exotic dancer known for her musical accompaniments to her own performances on stage; the “Slate” I know in Toril is Dannath Durslate, a wealthy and respected dwarf builder who’s been erecting ever-taller and -grander stone mansions and business premises in the cities of Sembia for two centuries; “Meager” was the nickname of a long-ago Lord of Sessrendale, Maryn Ameigrar (also known as “the Miser” and “Lord Starvation”) whose crackpot ideas that his people should live on handfuls of cheese, nuts, and bread eventually got him walled away and starved to death at their hands; and Amratha “Flom” Flombarr was a successful adventurer of the 1200s DR who had a hand in the slaying of at least one dragon, and retired rich to a well-hidden and modest country compound in the shade of the Wealdath where she died in 1296 DR. Perhaps Matt is mistaking them for the litigious half-orc roofers Skuddren and Halark Slates, Tiles, and Mareigur, active in the rural Vilhon (“mareigur” is rothe-dung-and-lime thatch used to roof homes cheaply throughout the north; half-orcs have some secret treatment, likely involving their own urine, that renders it resistant to flame, whereas the mareigur of others is notorious for being unquenchable, once something ignites it).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On translating the name "Willowcrest" to elven:

1/21/19
@dreamwisp
A rather specific query: how would the surname "Willowcrest" translate from Common to Elvish? Any guidance would be much appreciated if you have the time!

@TheEdVerse
Hi! In the Realms (as opposed to Middle Earth), “Willowcrest” is either Sarrbarand [from “sarr,” plural sarren = willow(s)] or Sarrasharl [“barand” is crest of avian, creature, or heraldic, “sharl” is a geographic ridge, and “asharl” is its top/edge/dropoff, or crest]. So, your choice of Sarrbarand or Sarrasharl. :}

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:01:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On deities claiming souls:

@True_Retwerd
Hi, Ed! Quick question. What canonically happens to souls that are contested between two powers? Like, if someone is a devoted follower of a good-aligned deity, but their line is cursed to be damned to the Hells. What would happen in this instance?

@TheEdVerse
Only priests, paladins, and fanatics are devoted to one deity in the Realms. Everyone believes in all deites, and worships (even if only lip-service, now and then) most of them. So if an individual is devoted to one deity, that deity would have the strongest claim on their soul.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:03:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Pennae and Florin Falconhand:

1/21/19
@SatanNinja198X
Pennae was one of my favorite characters in the Knights trilogy, so I was sad to learn that the only additional lore on her is a passing mention in FR7 about her dying at the hands of a weretiger. Could you elaborate on what happened to her in the home Realms?

@TheEdVerse
Lune Lyrohar, resident of Shadowdale, was secretly a weretiger. Pennae did her "I'm a thief, I'll go out on my own stealthy stealthy" thing to try to find the big cat that was savagely mauling villagers to death...and found it, the hard way. :{ Vivid 1979 roleplaying session.

@SatanNinja198X
Ah, thanks so much for giving me a bit of closure. FR7 also mentions that Florin was "enamored" of her. So by the time of her death, had she and Florin moved beyond the casual flirting they did in the books?

@TheEdVerse
Yes. But Pennae was always a "wild spirit," not wanting marriage nor just one lover (or only lovers of one gender, for that matter). And by then, Mielikki was appearing in Florin's dreams and hinting to him that she had a mate in mind for him (Dove).

@SatanNinja198X
After the tragic loss of Narantha (assuming that occurred in the home Realms), then Pennae, I suppose the guy deserved a happy relationship with Dove. I know Florin "rescued" Dove from a Voonlar tavern. Was that their first real meeting in the home Realms?

@TheEdVerse
It was. Unbeknownst to Florin, an arrow that flashed to his aid in a forest fight a year earlier came from Dove's bow (as a Harper working against Zhent raiders), but The Whistling Wizard rescue was the first time Florin knowingly laid eyes on Dove.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:04:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Murdane:

12/23/17
@Madhatterhim
Tying itself a bit to my last question relating to Ancient Sune, I'm aware that the aspects of Murdane have been kept purposefully vague. I am however curious what her faith was like in the broader sense?
Like, do you have any thoughts on what her Symbol would have been like, or such?
Essentially things people of Toril might still know of the dead goddess?

@TheEdVerse
Murdane is still revered by some sages as the champion and most skilled proponent of what we real-world moderns call “the deductive method” (she could do the astound-Watson Holmesian “Ah, a retired potter, I perceive, but lately returned from X and now down on his luck”).

She was depicted as having a long mane (ponytail) of rich reddish-black hair, so a lock of hair in that rare hue is often used as a “touchstone”/keepsake by those who revere her (or want her aid when they have to “think something through”).

However, her holy/temple symbol was a chevron-shaped (like Superman’s chest shield) group of three side-on black interlocked cogs (“gears”/toothed wheels, big top wheel interlocked with medium middle wheel that’s interlocked with a small bottom wheel (on a field of gold).

1/21/19
@Madhatterhim
Over a year ago, I asked you about some information on the goddess Murdane, and you described her holy symbol. However, when I got back to it, I was struggling a bit with grasping the description, so I tried to design it.

@Madhatterhim
Is this visual design how the description is meant to be interpreted?
Additionally, there is no indication of what the Field-of-Gold is shaped like; is there a specific shape? Or is that unimportant?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxdbDbkWkAca7Lp.png

@TheEdVerse
You've nailed it. In heraldry, the "field" is the background. In this case, the shape of the field would depend on where and how the symbol was depicted. Temple door: entire door gold, black gears upper center. Breast badge on priest's tabard or very large on a temple wall behind/above an altar: the field would be chevron-shaped, echoing the gear arrangement (so, making a border of gold all around the gears, of the same chevron shape). Sometimes (cufflinks, pendant) an oval, but usually a chevron-shield-shape.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:05:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Vangey:

1/21/19
@ShanHaddock
@jayeedgecliff’s Cormyrean noble cleric talking about Vangey: He really *does* think every time he goes to the privy or washes his backside it’s in the service of the realm! #DND #ForgottenRealms @TheEdVerse is she right? #128512;

@TheEdVerse
Oh, yes! I've written scenes about this in published Realms fiction: both his very real and dedicated service to Cormyr, and his now-effortless habit of rationalizing that his every personal preference and druthers is what the realm truly needs. ;} That's what makes Vangey so effective...and scary. ;}

@jayeedgecliff
Oh my ... and my Truesilver-replacement-family scion said this, aloud to herself & her goddess, while shouting at him, too #128579;
She loves cousin Azoun. War Wizards & Vangey she has rather sharp words for. To be fair she DOES feel that he’s endangered dear Daddy (bluedragon cmdr)

@TheEdVerse
Now here's the strange thing about Vangey: he'd be irked at hearing this, but NOT show it, and would think this Lady Truesilver would bear closer watching from now on (traitor? ALL nobles have the tendency!) BUT would respect her more...as someone who sees shrewdly ("no fool").

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:06:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On griffons:

1/16/19
@Shaherr9000
Hi Ed, long time listener first time caller. Just wondering where Griffons originated from? Being monstrosities, were they made? Or were they just always *there*?

@TheEdVerse
So far as everyone now alive (or sentiently undead) in the Realms knows (and that includes REALLY old folks), griffons have "always been there." They may well be older than humankind on Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:07:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One the pronunciation of "ffolk":

1/18/19
þ@webjr1981
How does one pronounce the "ffolk" of the Moonshaes. I've always just said "folk" but I'm listening to one of Doug's books on Audible, and they are doubling the f in the verbal pronunciation and it sounds... odd.

@TheEdVerse
From the early TSR "published Realms" days, as Doug's Albion campaign was eased into the Realms to replace my original Moonshaes, the TSR staff pronounced "Ffolk" with the double "f" so that's how it has always been to me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:09:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Phalorm, Neverwinter, and Castle Cragmaw:

1/17/19
@DysonLogos
Was Neverwinter ever part of Phalorm? Waterdeep rejected the alliance initially, but later joined, but Neverwinter had the assistance of Palarandusk during that era.

Phalorm claimed land in the region, but did they ever have dominion over the city itself?

@Aclippinger
Replying to @Aclippinger and 2 others
To HELPFULLY expand on that, the three participating kingdoms (Ardeep forest elves, Dardath dwarves, and Delimbiyran humans) were all closely centralized around the Delimbiyr River south/SE of the High Forest and east of modern day Secomber. (Dove in for an upcoming Guild thing)

@DysonLogos
Cool. They did have an unnamed castle in the woods near Neverwinter, so I was curious.

@TheEdVerse
Heh. That castle was not unnamed. I drew the original map for it in 1979, and named it. ;}
Alex hath the right of it. Neverwinter was never part of Phalorm. And there was a huge difference between Phalorm proper, the "wide patrol area" Phalorm maintained to give themselves advance warning of orc hordes and other armies on the move, and the "this is all ours, so keep off" claim made by waving at maps, but doing nothing beyond scouting on the ground. ;}

@DysonLogos
Awesome, thanks!

So, as the obvious follow-up question, what was the name of the castle that became Cragmaw castle in the modern era?

@TheEdVerse
It was one of three identical-layout "Castle Crag" fortresses, all built and designed by the same man, Konstal Cragar (whom very few humans knew was a mere front for a dwarf stronghold-building firm run by Clan Blackstone). TSR wanted all name duplications gone from the Realms to Dispel Confusion, so my "demon and devil both named Astaroth, so be VERY careful when summoning" went away, so did the Castle Crags, and all that survived was a handful of humans (Torm, Helm) sharing names with gods (there were many).

Postscript: The other two Castle Crags were in Cormyr (became Castle Kilgrave in the TSR-published Realms) and (ruined and overgrown) in Shadowdale.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:10:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On post-1385 Magisters:

1/7/19
@coolguy73360922
After Talatha's demise in 1385DR, was there a successor of Magister? Or that office was be defunct (because of Mystra's death)?

@TheEdVerse
There was no Magister while Msytra was "dead." There is a new one now. Identity: NDA. (Sorry.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:11:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On drow delicacies:

1/11/19
@djtigon
i am still curious, what types of exotic foods would be considered Drow delicacies? Things that can't be found coming anywhere but in the finest kitchens in Menzoberranzan and the likes? #Realmslore

@TheEdVerse
Moon worms: a species of glow-worms (think of real-world white grubs, but glistening white and "fat earthworm" shape, i.e. bulging segments) that taste like cashews raw, and can be fried, and if fried or jarred for long enough with honey make a sweet some drow nigh kill for.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:13:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Manshoon having some of Mystryl's silver fire:

10/29/18
@coolguy73360922
In "Spellstorm" El wrested a spark of Mystryl's divine fire from Manshoon. How did Manshoon get it?

@TheEdVerse
She instilled it into him. He (along with Volo, which is how Volo survived the Spellplague and the passage of nigh a century, and Mirt, and a host of others) was one of the many, many beings across Toril she infused with some of her divine fire so she could "come back" after the Sundering. In The Sage Of Shadowdale trilogy, you can read of M's refusal to obey Mystra (as a Chosen, or at all). Mystra foresaw the Sundering and knew her weakened Chosen would become targets for her foes, so she put "herself" into many (some unwitting).

@coolguy73360922
Mystra? But in novel, the divine fire belong to Mystryl not Mystra.

@TheEdVerse
It wasn't the first time Mystra had used that trick, with Manshoon (she did it during the Time of Troubles). The spindle of Mystryl's fire inside that particular Manshoon clone came from then. Mystra inherited or collected all of the silver fire that had been Mystryl's that other deities didn't ensnare. Mystra is unique among the deities of the Realms in that she is the Weave, and so is "everywhere" in Toril, and can feel and sense magic flows, spellfire, divine fire/silver fire--and readily gather it to herself because the Weave is HER. (If you want to grab something, you only have your two hands at the location you stand, whereas Mystra has millions of hands, all over the world.) Yes, Mystra could seize the spindle, but she would not only destroy Manshoon in the process, she'd damage herself (the Weave) by creating a localized rift (dead magic PLUS leakage into other planes in both directions, surrounded by a fringe of intense wild magic). Mystra is all about mortals using more and more magic, creating and innovating with magic, and therefore magic becoming ever more prevalent, so she is NOT going to just destroy powerful mages to get what she wants...but using a mortal mage who'll obey her (El, a Chosen) to get it from Manshoon (even if doing so will kill Manshoon) is okay with her. Not ideal, but if necessary... Each successive Mystra knows less about "being Mystra" than the previous one (like newly-awakened Manshoon clones lacking the recent experience/history of earlier Manshoons), but reacquire their memories and expertise from contact with Chosen (like El) and other long-lived mages and other wielders of the Art (e.g. Larloch, Saharel, the Srinshee) and "reading" what these mortals know/remember...so Mystra now has quite a few of Mystryl's memories and those of her earlier selves, as filtered through others (and so knows about Mystryl's doings, Manshoon's deeds, the spindle, etc.). Yes, it's confusing to us, in large part because most deities deliberately don't keep mortals fully informed, but also because most deities play a very "long game" (they are working against opposed deities and what is real that they ant altered to further their own aims and ideals with what to mortals is an impossibly long timeframe: aeons rather than ages or centuries, making tiny changes here and there and over there, too, that will bring about changes in reality they favour over MANY mortal lifetimes

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  03:14:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As with many of my projects, this one continues, in fits and starts, when time and whim coincide...

I'm trying to remember to add the dates to the Tweets, but I don't always recall to do that. And I'm not going back to redo older ones, sorry.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2019 03:15:03
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  12:52:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On drow delicacies:

1/11/19
@djtigon
i am still curious, what types of exotic foods would be considered Drow delicacies? Things that can't be found coming anywhere but in the finest kitchens in Menzoberranzan and the likes? #Realmslore

@TheEdVerse
Moon worms: a species of glow-worms (think of real-world white grubs, but glistening white and "fat earthworm" shape, i.e. bulging segments) that taste like cashews raw, and can be fried, and if fried or jarred for long enough with honey make a sweet some drow nigh kill for.

Hmmm, I never really thought about it, but what kind of insects actually live in the earth. The only thing coming to mind are ants, but I can see drow making use of various insects as food, and then the exoskeletons might be used for things like bowls for slaves, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2019 :  22:13:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone with Twitter able to copy down Eds tweet about Alaron and the ffolk made on 1st November 2018 at 9.57 pm

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  03:34:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Anyone with Twitter able to copy down Eds tweet about Alaron and the ffolk made on 1st November 2018 at 9.57 pm

The Ffolk and the Northlanders were traditional foes (the Northlanders regularly raided the Ffolk), but over time, increasing trade-ties and intermarriages (and the dwindling martial might of the Northlanders, that made raiding at will increasingly seem obviously foolish to them as it was clearly sailing to death) made raids fewer and fewer. That, coupled with a decade in the mid 1300s DR of harsh winter/shortened growing seasons and therefore food shortages and therefore starvation or cooperation to survive, made the two peoples increasingly live together and work together. So the peoples did merge. Northlanders fish and sail merchant voyages more than the Ffolk do, as the Ffolk remain more “tied to the land.” Yet the Ffolk dominate the shared culture because of their numbers, their close connections to the land, and their skills (they’re better at providing food and water, medicine, and shelter). The Ffolk still cringe at cities that pave and despoil and have no green growing things, and no wildlife. So, Caer Callidyrr is a city built around the original castle that, like their other and water, medicine, and shelter). The Ffolk still cringe at cities that pave and despoil and have no green growing things, and no wildlife. So, Caer Callidyrr is a city built around the original castle that, like their other citizens co-exist with (and kill for family stewpots). {Silverymoon on the mainland is a larger and more beautiful city that’s also green, growing, and “lies gently upon the land” rather than crowding and paving everything.} The Ffolk live WITH the land rather than “imposing upon it.” The Northlanders have no disagreement with that, because they’ve seen that it works. And as the years pass, Ffolk and Northlanders more and more become one. (EdVerse Twitter: 2/11/18)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2019 :  22:48:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On gods, the timeline, and Elminster stealing from Ed's kitchen (I'm going to post the full chain, for completeness sake):

@TacoRaptorJesus (21/01/19):
What prevents evil gods of one material plane from attacking any other? Racial gods (Moradin, Corellon, etc.) can cross over, so why don't/can't others? Is there only one Yondalla for all planes, or a a different Yondalla for each one?

@ChrisPerkinsDnD
There is one of each god, and most gods are drawn to worlds where they have worshipers. Asmodeus, for example, has worshipers on many worlds. Some gods, like Tiamat, adopt different names on different worlds. #wotcstaff

@LouAnders (27/01/19)
Hi @ChrisPerkinsDnD does Ehlonna have worshippers in Toril @TheEdVerse?

@TheEdVerse
Yes. Over the centuries, there's been enough traffic between the worlds/spheres that deities of Oerth and Krynn have followers in Toril (and Abeir), and vice versa.

@Jon_4L
At what time period was Earth temporarily reconnected to Toril? I could imagine Shakespeare gaining a following in Faerun.

@TheEdVerse
Judging by the frequency with which Elminster shows up at my various back doors, and drops casual comments about what he saw, experienced (and mainly drank and ate) at historical Earth times and events, I'd say Earth and Toril have been constantly connected for a long, long time. But perhaps those connections aren't so easily found and used if you aren't a veteran old archwizard with meddling tendencies. ;}

@Jon_4L
I love that the 5e books have "disclaimers". They mentioned you knew a great many archwizards in one, so I guess my question at this point is "does Elminster give autographs?" XD

@TheEdVerse
He does. However, some who've misused ther Art and earned his or Mystra's ire haven't much liked the way Elminster wrote his autograph upon them. ;}

@ZeromaruX
This begs a question. Is there any explanation for the time jump? I mean, one day Earth and Faerûn were conected at year 1372, the other day in Faerûn 100 years had passed. Was the speed of the... Um, "timeline conection" affected by the Spellplague as well?

@TheEdVerse
As Dr. Chandra said near the end of 2010: The Year We Make Contact: "I...I don't know."

In another thread of this same chain:

@RealWraith182
Elminister's Quintessential Earth: Travel and Restaurant Guidebook

Ooooh it'd be a blast to have the Old Mage as a tour guide!

@TheEdVerse
Oh, stop, stop! Before I have to beg Wizards for an expense account to dine my way across Ye Olde Earth as Elminster's "No, DON'T fireball these miscreants!" escort and long-suffering scribe. And start popping out endless travel guide volumes. And making bail.

@ZeromaruX
I know Elminster only shows up at your house because he wants to steal from your kitchen. Every time you lose a sweet, it was him.

@TheEdVerse
I think you've laid bare the truth. Modern-Earth desserts and drinkables. Pecan pie, pina coladas, tequila sunrises, Amaretto, pralines'n'cream ice cream...it never ends. He's the first person I've ever seen spray canned whipped cream onto crispy bacon, and SMILE at the result.

Added a few hours later:

@TheEdVerse
Butter tarts, I forgot to mention the Old Mage's love for butter tarts. Perhaps because there are never any in my house, starting about two seconds after I cross my threshold with any. (Even ANCIENT archmages work FAST.)

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 Jan 2019 03:04:57
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2019 :  23:04:48  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Palarandusk:

@ZeromaruX (26/01/19)
Hi @TheEdVerse how u been? I hope you're doing well.

What can you tell me about old Palarandusk? Is he still alive in 1490s Realms?

Thanks in advance :)

@TheEdVerse
The last I heard (from Elminster), he was very much still alive, but altered in some way by the Spellplague and Sundering that made him even more dangerous, when he wants to be. He prefers, of course to lurk.
#Realmslore

@ZeromaruX
Thank you again

@TheEdVerse
A pleasure! Someday I should delve more into the aims, hobbies, and meddlings of all surviving elder dragons in the Realms. They are more active kingpins and behind-the-scenes "prime movers" than liches and beholders, by far.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2019 :  00:26:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Clerics/Mystics/Specialty Priests/Knights of various gods:

@jayeedgecliff (27/01/19)
@TheEdVerse it occurs to me to wonder: Faiths & Avatars discusses Clerics/Mystics/Specialty Priests/Knights of various gods in excruciatingly mechanical detail but is less clear on the what this means to the people themselves. Are Sp Priests selected by the god vs clerics sort of elect themselves to service? Mystics, tbh, confuse me; and I mean the rest are, I suppose, variations on the concept of paladins (ie, Needles of Meiliki … which looks misspelt)

@TheEdVerse
It varies, but usually specialty priests are "appointed" from regular novice (or rising) clergy ranks by senior clerics who notice talent (the s-p candidate MUST willingly accept), and is ultimately approved/stripped of status by the deity (i.e. "constant performance review"). Paladins the same way, except that more of them personally appoint/pledge themselves directly to the deity (overnight vigil), and the deity speaks or sends visions/signs to them to indicate acceptance/rejection. The emphasis on deity avatars and avoidance of faith detail at that time, to avoid real-world religious backlash robbed us of much lore that should have been provided for ROLEPLAYING (daily rituals and prayers, do's and don'ts, secret and public secular aims of priesthoods. etc.).
#Realmslore

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 Jan 2019 00:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2019 :  00:42:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On nobles and reincarnation

@nbdyhome (27/01/19)
@TheEdVerse in Waterdeep, if a noble were killed and resurrected in a new form, do they need to go through any process to prove they really are who they say they are? I meant reincarnated...

@TheEdVerse
Oh, yes, because if not accepted, they "lose their place" in the lineage (lose titles, can't inherit any family property, etc.). In Cormyr, it's even the law for royalty, and established internal custom in many noble houses. Process varies, but always involves attempted mind-reading/detect lie (with hired clerical and/or mage assistance/scrutiny) as they're asked questions about their past that "only the real person would know correct answers to." Some families are narrow enough in views that it doesn't matter: they won't be accepted as a "true" family member in a new form...unless later on they're only one left standing of their generation, or otherwise have "earned" their status (akin to how Tyrion Lannister's father treated him).
#Realmslore

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 Jan 2019 00:57:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000