Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  18:32:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
Brimstone, I can tell you this much: Ed updated his Border Kingdoms write-ups to current Realms time (the 1490s DR) and completed them, A-Z, covering the entire BK in an overview that the GameholeCon adventure designers formatted into a handsome gazetteer that I hope will be available for sale at the DM's Guild eventually (proceeds to GameholeCon?)...
Ed crammed it full of adventure hooks, subplots, and the like.

And I believe Alex Kammer, the master gamer who runs GameholeCon, collaborated with Ed on an uberplot to underpin the GameholeCon Adventurers League adventures at this year's con, and for several years into the future. Alex came up to Canada a month or so back to spend a few days at Ed's house cooking up things.

(Ed's also at work on other things in the Realms, including his own annual Mirt story-and-lore plus companion adventure. He held a TEGG contest, and the winner, Clinton Cronk, has designed an Ormpur adventure that should go up at the Guild eventually. I'm hoping Ed will follow through on his plans to write "Volo mini-guides" for all the locales Mirt visits, too...)

Another reply tomorrow, I hope (have ferried everything to Ed for lore replies)...

Love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 May 2018 18:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  18:41:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Wow, this is amazing news! Can't wait to see more Realms from Ed, it's been far too long...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  19:12:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Oh, that sounds wonderful! I'm already ready to pay for that file, as soon as it's uploaded -- Edlore is always worthwhile.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  21:05:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Many thanks THO!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  21:23:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
Great news ! I hope you're doing well. Here are my questions :

1/ Will there be any way to buy the adventure A darkness in North Ward ? (I'm a fan of Waterdeep, have to ask ;)

2/ I was looking for few adventures written by Ed:
At the Sign of the Drowned Dragon
The Haunted Tomes of Derlusk
Rattle the Sabre and Shake the Spear
I'm looking for these adventures but can't find these anywhere. It would be to run them to my players. Onder Librum website is not availaible right now so i can't ask there if I can buy them in any way.

Thanks, and good game to all of you.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  01:56:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed tells me the formatted (not by him, by one of the talented creatives of the Gamehole writing team) Border Kingdoms runs to JUST under 100 pages. Just so you know. ;}

Marco Volo,
For now, A Darkness In North Ward is publicly unavailable, though there are copies “out there” that Ed has given away at conventions to lucky players. This is because it’s one of the adventures Ed still runs at conventions for fun (most recently, at CritCon in Toronto, four days ago). However, eventually, somehow, it will be made available, I suspect.
As for the other adventures, here we go…
At the DM’s Guild website, Ed has begun to do annual Mirt the Moneylender linked “tales” (short fiction with crunchy Realmslore included) and adventures (a 5e D&D adventure in the same locale that year’s story is set in).
The first set of these was “All Things Through The Bright Flames,” a story wherein Mirt was sent to Ormpur by Laeral, the Open Lord of Waterdeep, as a sort of James Bond-style secret agent (the story runs a little less than 20,000 words, and at its end you get Mirt’s stats, a writeup of another NPC who features in the story, a new spell, and other Realmslore). The adventure linked to that is a dungeon crawl (so, under a little bit of the city of Ormpur) entitled “At The Sign Of The Drowned Dragon.” The Ed Greenwood Group held a contest, and the winner was Clinton Cronk, who penned an entirely different D&D adventure set in Ormpur entitled “Rattle The Sabre, Shake The Spear” that Ed describes as “very Shakespearean, urban intrigue roleplaying, and VERY thorough, so a novice DM can readily run it.”
The second year of Mirt’s missions took him to Derlusk, the “bookish” northshore port of the Border Kingdoms, for another tale-with-crunchy-Realmslore entitled “The Book That Talked Back,” which is linked to a 5e D&D adventure entitled “The Haunted Tomes Of Derlusk.”
Ed is writing the third Mirt linked pair of tale and adventure right now. He tells me he has plans to eventually do “Volo’s mini-guides” to the locales Mirt visits, as well.
The first two pairs of Ed adventures have been up at the DM’s Guild, but have been taken down to revamp their layout, and will go back up in the fullness of time (this may take months), at which time they’ll be joined by Clinton’s adventure, so they can all be purchased at the Guild. Ed requests your patience; he is busier than ever, these days!
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  02:01:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again. I bring you the first of Ed’s promised direct lore replies, this one to Fineva, re. this: “Hello Hooded Lady and greetings to Ed:
After checking the forums awhile and obtaining great answers from Wooly, Slevas, etc, just one question remains.
Tiamat as Ed says is building power, and Rise of Tiamat had a lot to do with treasure. The Dragon masks especially were required. Does this mean her power is locked in the masks (like other gods use chosen) and when she utterly destroys a mask and wearer she gains a piece of it? (Severin was yummy)”

Fineva, Ed says yes, destroying a mask and wearer does gain Tiamat some power, but it’s a little more complicated than that. The masks are foci for far more power than they hold, but by their nature are “holds” (limits) on Tiamat, so as each one is eliminated, Tiamat gains back more freedom to access more power. (Ed cautions me that even this is an oversimplification, and that your DM may of course change this, subtly or otherwise. ;} As Elminster saith, “Subtly? Hah! With humans, ’tis almost always ‘otherwise.’”)

So there you have it. More from Ed soon.
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  07:01:27  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thanks THO, I was a little lost and you enmightened me.
I will patiently wait but I'm on tenderhooks too :)
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2018 :  09:35:41  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I found an old "D&D Lair Assault" of mine entitled "Temple of the Sky God". I had the surprise to see that Ed was credited as a designer on this.
I haven't seen that before because he is credited inside the book but not on the cover (it's Greg Bilsland and Doug Hyatt). Did Ed acted like a consultant on this adventure ?

Thanks and have a nice day.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2018 :  06:31:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Swords of Eveningstar makes reference to the Iron War Crown, also called the Arcrown. There's also a reference to the Iron War that might involve dwarves. Given the dwarven name Arcrown, the crown's mage killing abilities, and a possible Iron War, is there more that can be shared regarding any of this?

Thank you! :)
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2018 :  23:12:17  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message
Thanks to THO & Ed!

I get it. So helpful.

And Mirt as James Bond means there's hope for me yet!

-Fineva

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2018 :  08:28:54  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Well Met noble Ed and THO,

I working on a Cormyrean Noble's campaign. I've scoured these hallowed pages and my vast library of Faerunian lore but I am missing some vital pieces of flavour.

Have you at any stage put together family mottos and heraldry for the following Cormyrean noble houses -:
Emmarask, Huntcrown, Illance, Hawklin, Summerstar, Hardcastle, Hiloar & Evenhand

I'm hoping these are all your creations, these were the most fitting for my needs from the published houses I could find.

If you could find time in your enormously busy schedule to pen a response I would be greatly appreciative.

Of course if another scribe sees this and can point me in the direction of lore that I've missed, I'd be more than happy not to waste Ed's valuable time. :)

Thanks

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Neverwintan
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  02:50:27  Show Profile Send Neverwintan a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I have a question. What areas in the real-world are closest to the Baldur's Gate region, weather/climate-wise?

Thank you for your time!
Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

Spain
8 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  06:04:44  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Maybe this has been answered but here goes anyway.

Dear Ed.

Do you have a specific event that introduced vampirism to Faerun and the rest of the Realms?

Cheers!

And, another question to Ed, what about were creatures?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  01:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
I asked Eric Boyd this and he informed me that the pirates of Alkoth and the Banite adventuring bands of the Six Black Blades and the Crow Banners were from Ed and advised me to ask Ed. So, here goes:

On p. 39 of Faiths and Avatars, there is a mention of the widely feared pirate fleet of Alkoth and the Bane-worshipping adventuring groups of the Six Black Blades and the Crow Banners.

Where is Alkoth and is there anything worth telling about these pirates?

Did you have any more information in mind about these adventuring bands?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  00:25:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

AFAIK, that and that the Positive and Negative Planes are "outside" the Great Wheel, instead of being part of the Inner planes.

If we're talking Planescape, Positive/Negative Energy planes are Inner, and there are Quasielemental planes touching both them and elemental planes (2 groups of 4).
If we're talking 3.5, mumble mumble something mumble - oh, you know just make it up yourself. If we're talking 4e, it's right between ShadowFell, FeyWild, DuckQuack and WikiHeadache.

I'd say ShadowFell, FeyWild, DuckQuack etc. would all be classified as demiplanes in the Great Wheel system.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  02:36:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I consider the Shadowfell and the Feywild to be demiplanes that exist "between" Toril's Prime and between the actual planes of Shadow and Faerie. Both demiplanes are lesser versions of the originals, and kind of overlap Toril's Prime.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  13:23:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

AFAIK, that and that the Positive and Negative Planes are "outside" the Great Wheel, instead of being part of the Inner planes.

If we're talking Planescape, Positive/Negative Energy planes are Inner, and there are Quasielemental planes touching both them and elemental planes (2 groups of 4).
If we're talking 3.5, mumble mumble something mumble - oh, you know just make it up yourself. If we're talking 4e, it's right between ShadowFell, FeyWild, DuckQuack and WikiHeadache.

I'd say ShadowFell, FeyWild, DuckQuack etc. would all be classified as demiplanes in the Great Wheel system.

Isn't the plane of DuckQuack a transitive plane to the elemental plane of Sonic Damage?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  17:53:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I have an NPC that can easily outdrink a pack of dwarves. He claims it's because he spent time on the Quasielemental Plane of Ale, and cheerfully ignores anyone who says that plane doesn't exist.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  02:39:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I have an NPC that can easily outdrink a pack of dwarves. He claims it's because he spent time on the Quasielemental Plane of Ale, and cheerfully ignores anyone who says that plane doesn't exist.

And where might I find a gate to this plane?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  14:01:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

I just need a flagon with a small (say 2 inch radius) one-way, activatable portal. If you could only open it for an hour a day, how many barrels do you think could you fill? 2? 4? 10?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  16:04:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  18:02:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

quote:

Wisconsin

So, I gotta go through the Quasielemental Plane of Cheese? No wonder it is hard to find.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  19:08:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
<Homer Simpson>Mmmm, quasielemental cheese....</Homer Simpson>

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  11:45:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Either Cheese or Bratwurst.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  22:19:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
A quick "mechanics" question that I'm sure THO could answer; but may have been answered in the past (though I can't find the question so couldn't find the answer):

How does Ed award Experience Points to the effect that after years and years of play his player's characters are still in the single digit levels?

I LIKE that idea, just wondering if he awards xp for gold pieces or does story award or what?

Thank you so much!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

WERDNA
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  15:08:24  Show Profile Send WERDNA a Private Message
I was reading Elminster's Forgotten Realms the other day and saw a note referring to Thay as having been envisioned as a "Far-Eastern" empire suitable for Oriental Adventures play.

I suppose my question for Ed and THO is what the earlier home-game conception of Thay was like as well as what a more Far-East style of Thay would have been like according to Ed. Even though the official realms have moved past this, I find this early version of Thay very interesting as a concept.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2018 :  21:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed! I hope the autumn is treating you well.

I have a quick question about the Thayan slave trade in the 1300's DR. How frequent are slave ships in the Sea of Fallen Swords and the Alamber? How many of the ships are dedicated slavers (I'm thinking those that served the American/Caribbean slave trade), versus a general merchant ship that just happens to have some slaves in part of the hold?

I'm thinking about having a "good guy" pirate ship of escaped slaves that is trying to attack and free as many slave ships as they can. How common or infrequent are slave ships heading to Thay? Roughly what percentage of Thay's slaves come by sea, rather than overland from the south or west, or underground, or through gates?

Thanks as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  12:56:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WERDNA

I was reading Elminster's Forgotten Realms the other day and saw a note referring to Thay as having been envisioned as a "Far-Eastern" empire suitable for Oriental Adventures play.

I suppose my question for Ed and THO is what the earlier home-game conception of Thay was like as well as what a more Far-East style of Thay would have been like according to Ed. Even though the official realms have moved past this, I find this early version of Thay very interesting as a concept.

I know that our dear THO is a busy gal and being off the radar has its disadvantages, so I passed on your question to Ed and he responded as follows:

Remember Moondragon from Marvel Comics (bald-headed woman, serene, standup collar)? That was a typical Tharchioness, in my early version of Thay. I saw it as a land of many economically-warring old-money merchant houses, each with their own tiny principalities (equivalent of baronies in the western Realms), having mutually retreated from open martial warfare with each other after almost mutually destroying each other. The Red Wizards arose out of this, and soon became a pox on all of these old-money, family-honor blood-related houses (because you either have or don’t have an aptitude for the Art; it has nothing to do with your wealth or heritage, so “anyone” can become a Red Wizard, not just members of the existing aristocracy).
What I wanted to avoid in my original Realms, pre-TSR publication, was ANY “too close to real world, or real-world history, or real-world Hollywood, or real-world legend” elements. So I didn’t want historical China, or Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc. or anything “too close” (no Great Wall, no Shinto or Buddism or Celestial Bureaucracy, and so on). I wanted to evoke the FLAVOUR of the East without full-on stereotypes or cultural trappings.
I thought then, and still think, that a polyglot, mixed-heritage region of many tiny principalities and vigorous trade and technological and magical advances, rather than warring lands or races and for that matter an organized, non-internally-feuding uberwizards, makes for better roleplaying opportunities, because visiting or resident PC adventurers can more easily find roles (be hired as hit teams, escorts, investigators, guards, etc.).
“My” Thay was a slaving empire with Red Wizards, but the monied AND “just plain folks” populace (very much including the various clergy) were quietly opposed to, and thwarting, what they saw as the growing power of the “upstart” Red Wizards.

There it is, root realmslore for us all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  12:58:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hey Ed! I hope the autumn is treating you well.

I have a quick question about the Thayan slave trade in the 1300's DR. How frequent are slave ships in the Sea of Fallen Swords and the Alamber? How many of the ships are dedicated slavers (I'm thinking those that served the American/Caribbean slave trade), versus a general merchant ship that just happens to have some slaves in part of the hold?

I'm thinking about having a "good guy" pirate ship of escaped slaves that is trying to attack and free as many slave ships as they can. How common or infrequent are slave ships heading to Thay? Roughly what percentage of Thay's slaves come by sea, rather than overland from the south or west, or underground, or through gates?

Thanks as always.

And one more because Ed is he coolest:

In the 1300s DR, slave ships aren’t frequent at all. Almost all of them are, as you describe, “a general merchant ship that just happens to have some slaves in part of the hold.” And the majority of the slave trade is overland, especially from Semphar and Raurin and parts beyond, in large part because slaves at sea suffer losses (ill health, seasickness, inability to get away from infections on a ship) and so lose strength and weight and therefore value, even if they don’t actually die. So slaving is generally done by land travel, often very slow “land coffles” of slaves chained to common timbers who carry their own sun protection (awnings attached to said timbers) and food and water, and are dedicated to foraging AND work along the route (e.g. carrying tons of nuts they shell as they trudge; they can eat as many as they like, but must keep shelling to avoid being lashed, so those tons of nuts get shelled ere they reach their destination).
So perhaps twenty percent, tops, of Thayan slaves come by sea. Which doesn’t mean your “good guy” ship can’t storm and board scores of other ships, searching for those few slaves chained in the hold of each (often, again, set to a drudge-task involving cargo, like the shelling of nuts).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000