Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  23:52:28  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Hello all,
I'm de-lurking after a decade with a query.
I recall seeing some lore from Ed several years ago that mentions that repeated summoning spells can cause tears or rips in the planar boundaries - making it possible for monsters from other planes to "slip through" into Faerun. I've spent the last week scouring these forums and have rediscovered a ton of fantastic lore - but I can't find the above mentioned nugget.
Can anyone point me to it - or can THO or Ed please confirm I've not started to succumb to the inevitable mental deterioration that happens to wild-casting wizards and long-time DMs...

Thanks in advance,
Rory Weston
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  08:32:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
question onthe bedine goddess Atar the merciless....

who is she really? an aspect of amunator? lathander, someone else, her own entity?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  14:30:28  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message
I have a question about dealings between the Chosen of Mystra.

It is my understanding that the Chosen are not allowed to interfere with each other's projects, with the obvious exception of Sammaster. I am assuming, that this applies to Larloch.

In my campaign, the players are part of a task force, set by Khelben, to make another attempt to rebuild Dragonspear. This time, a temple to Mystra is being built, right in the middle. Khelben has assured the players that Larloch will not be allowed to interfere, because he is a worshiper of Mystra and is supernaturally constrained not to interfere. The fact that he and Larloch are both Chosen, and can't work against each other, was not explained to the players, but is the issue I want to clarify.

First, if the players decide to go to Warlock's Crypt, is Khelben required to restrain them, or would Larloch be allowed to deal with them as he sees fit?

Second, if one of Larloch's undead minions decided, on its own, to go to Dragonspear, (for example, a vampire in need of a feeding frenzy), would Larloch be expected to restrain his minion?

Finally, just how cooperative should Larloch and Khelben be, with each other?

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  14:52:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I would imagine that a lot of that is going to be "it depends" -- based largely on who knows what. For example, I don't see Khelben sending people in to Warlock's Crypt, but I also don't see him keeping an eye on the place to turn people away.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  22:40:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Agreeing with Wooly and tossing my two coppers in:

quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

It is my understanding that the Chosen are not allowed to interfere with each other's projects, with the obvious exception of Sammaster. I am assuming, that this applies to Larloch.

I think in this case the exception unmakes the rule. The Chosen who know about each other's efforts and feel favorably toward one another may reach arrangements with each other, just like any two friends/colleagues on speaking terms may cooperate with each other. I don't see Mystra making a rule about it though. Because Mystra is all about magic, and "independent discovery" is important. Pre-TOT Mystra had a clear tendency toward Neutrality rather than Good, and post-TOT Mystra followed that precedent -- hence Sammaster's and Larloch's continued survival/activity. She's got a bit of an "ends justify the means" mentality. Or at least "I don't care who you are, if you're furthering the use of magic." So she might have prohibited her other Chosen from completely destroying Sammaster, but I can't see her trying to keep them from opposing each other... necessity is the mother of invention, and opposition creates necessity.

quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

Khelben has assured the players that Larloch will not be allowed to interfere, because he is a worshiper of Mystra and is supernaturally constrained not to interfere.

It's your game, and your Khelben and Larloch are yours to use however you wish. If you want the Chosen of Mystra to be constrained in that way, then that's how it is.

That being said... "Chosen vs Chosen" opposition is one thing; "agents vs Chosen" is a different thing.
PCs who walk into Larloch's domain, particularly against Khelben's advice, are asking for trouble. I would expect Khelben to (1) ask them why they want to deliberately rouse Larloch's ire by knocking on his front door, and (2) inform them that if they choose to proceed down that road they will bear whatever consequences Larloch wishes to impose on them. And as for those consequences, I would think being stripped of all their gear, polymorphed into gelatinous cubes (slow movement and no spellcasting), and compelled by geas to retrieve certain items from the hoards of Klauth would be "very lucky indeed."

Khelben, meanwhile, "loses face" because the bothersome PCs are acting on Khelben's directive, and if Larloch has any response at all it will be annoyance with Khelben. An annoyed Larloch is a problem for anyone, including Khelben. So Khelben has reason to keep them away from Warlock's Crypt.

I don't think Larloch's servants/minions do anything on their own. It's not that they're mindless or impotent, but whatever magic binds them to Larloch's will does so very effectively. If the PCs are opposed by undead within Dragonspear, without the provocation of bothering Larloch first, then those undead are not loyal to Larloch. If they choose to "go ask Larloch" then they will undoubtedly be barred at some point by his minions, acting according to his wishes.

This all assumes that the Chosen are required to "work together" to some extent in your campaign. So the question of how much they would have to cooperate is up to you.

Me -- I think they're two very different individuals, with very different priorities, and even different reasons for honoring Mystra... in my campaigns they would only communicate with each other when they need something and can't get it from anyone else, and even then the cooperation would only extend as far as offering a gift (something of artifact power) as a token of gratitude in advance before making the case for a brief bit of cooperation. Their "shared" status as Chosen of Mystra is coincidental in my personal opinion.

Totally just my opinion. Good luck!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 03 May 2017 22:41:12
Go to Top of Page

theraphos
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2017 :  20:59:13  Show Profile Send theraphos a Private Message
Newbie here! I saw earlier in the thread that there are some NDAs in place now that limit what can be answered, so I'll try to keep this as basic as possible in case that helps.

Is slavery, of more or less the same sort as pre-Spellplague, still practiced in Calimshan?

(I would assume, if so, that a lot are genasi, who wouldn't have been very popular after the humans overthrew them.)
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  00:22:46  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Hello all,
I'm de-lurking after a decade with a query.
I recall seeing some lore from Ed several years ago that mentions that repeated summoning spells can cause tears or rips in the planar boundaries - making it possible for monsters from other planes to "slip through" into Faerun. I've spent the last week scouring these forums and have rediscovered a ton of fantastic lore - but I can't find the above mentioned nugget.
Can anyone point me to it - or can THO or Ed please confirm I've not started to succumb to the inevitable mental deterioration that happens to wild-casting wizards and long-time DMs...

Thanks in advance,
Rory Weston

Hah - Found what iw as looking for!
Way back in 2004 "Questiosn for Ed Greenwood"

quote:

On October 25, 2004 THO said: Hello, all. I can spin an answer of sorts for tauster, from my own experiences in the 'home' Realms campaign.

Ed always thought that gates (3e "portals") and battles for control of them, or battles against the activities of power groups who already controlled them, was a logical focus of high-level campaigning. If your PCs founded their kingdoms and their players wondered what to do with them next, and didn't rise to the bait of stumbling across strangely numerous and hitherto unnoticed gates, the users of said gates would start coming after the PCs.

That's where the "Forgotten" part of the name comes from: the idea that Faerun exists on a Prime Material Plane parallel to our own 'real world' (and that there are many other Prime planes, such as the fantasy settings of any fantasy authors a DM and group of players like, as well as the 'fabled' Planes of Existence such as the Abyss, Hell or the Nine Hells, and so on). This isn't a new idea; Michael Moorcock envisaged a Multiverse of parallel planes, and Philip José Farmer's World of Tiers series explored a battle between power groups for control of gates and the worlds connected to them.

Ed adapted some of these fictional concepts to the D&D game back in issue 37 of The Dragon (as the magazine was then called); I believe it was the first-ever DRAGON article with footnotes.

TSR, of course, didn't want the possible lawsuits a 'real-world connection' might invite, nor the design headaches of linking Oerth and Krynn to this new uber-setting, and so edited out almost all of the gates material from the early Realms products. Some of Ed's notes were later used (albeit in an almost unrecognizable form) in the Planescape line.

The Company of Crazed Venturers got into plane-hopping (it was the only way Ed could justify inclusion of some of the science-fictional elements he swiped from the Barrier Peaks adventure for those PCs to encounter) briefly, and so did we Knights (even more briefly).

Interestingly, Ed always discouraged creation of new gates (3e "portals") in the Realms by postulating that they weaken the planar fabric, so that the act of opening a new one often causes rifts, temporary (or even worse, persistent and widening, if you happen to create a gate too close to an unknown/forgotten pre-existing one) that "leak" predatory otherplanar beasts of great power. In other words, BEEG trouble on thy hands - - plus, of course, the immediate interest of all sorts of existing Realms power groups ("Oooh, a new gate! To where? We must control it, and slay all who learn of it so that 'tis our secret, and ours alone!").

I do know that Ed has suggested doing Realms novels that involve such concepts on several occasions, and been firmly turned down by the TSR book publishing editors on every occasion. This even came up in discussion (uttered by TSR staffers, not Ed) at a long-ago GenCon Realms panel.

It's interesting to note, over the years, how strong the fascination of the idea is; it never really goes away.

love to all,
THO

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  00:28:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Breaking radio silence AT LONG LAST because I have a precious few minutes to do so: I just want to tell all scribes that xaeyruudh, in his May 3rd post above, "sees" Khelben and Larloch PRECISELY as Ed sees them. As Ed said: "Perfectly put."
:}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  04:31:56  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hey, get back here, young Lady... you can't just run off like that...

Damn. You can.

Hope you can stay longer, soon. It gets cold in here without you.

Edit: Great find rweston! I hunted a bit too, but couldn't find it. Glad your search paid off.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 May 2017 04:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  04:44:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@theraphos - I'm certainly not Ed, but in lieu of him (he is currently the busiest man in thirty-seven universes), from everything I've read or have been told (by people 'in the know'), just about everything has been 'reset' to its pre-3e status, and this would go for form of government, including its laws and customs, unless stated otherwise in newer sources. In other words, if there is no 5e canon specifically addressing something, then go with whatever 1e/2e said about the place (the sizes of settlements has even been reset - the only thing really different are the specific individuals... and even they might still be around).

And if Ed chimes in, I would love to hear his opinion as well.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

question on the bedine goddess At'ar the merciless....

who is she really? an aspect of Aumanator? Lathander, someone else, her own entity?
It says specifically in 2e's Faiths & Avatars that At'ar is an alias of Aumanator. While it IS true much has changed since that source was written, most especially in regards to Aumanator's 'dead' status, the source remains the canon until/unless it is overwritten by newer canon (which can easily be done now with so many changes in-place, but AFAIK hasn't). Not sure if that's what you were hoping for here - having Ed 'overwrite' written canon, and I don't think it works that way (his 'word' is canon unless contradicted by a printed source - only if they actually published something by him thats states otherwise would the old canon thus be overwritten).

At'ar being 'female' is neither here nor there, since gods can take whatever form they want, and Aumanator might be a truly ancient power that is not an ascended mortal (deity), THUS he/she/it may have no predisposition, in which case worshipers may see 'it' however they expect to see it (the whole thing with 'dogma'). And the way that works (in theory) is that most of his faithful will see the Aumanator they expect to see (older, stern-looking male), but any Bedine present at the same time would see the female version of the god... UNLESS the god is consciously trying to appear specifically as one aspect or the other (overwrites 'default' mode).

The one thing that wouldn't make much sense is for At'ar to be Lathander, because we already have a printed source for both gods, and that isn't mentioned as an alias of Lathander (but IS for Aumanator). They could probably do some crazy/kewl thing saying Lathander came from the East and is really Ushas, and was worshiped by the Bedine who may have known of her from before they were translocated, and once they became mixed with the Netherese she became confused/merged with Aumanator (I'd personally say she masqueraded as Aumanator until the actual Aumanator returned recently, and now she is just a demipower under him). That could work, but that goes well beyond speculation and deep into pure homebrew.

It would also mean Lathander is really a more ancient, female power who just 'puts on' a male aspect, for whatever reason (sprinkle in more speculation and you can come up with just about anything for why that would be). The gods are truly 'unknowable'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2017 04:46:14
Go to Top of Page

theraphos
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  07:17:27  Show Profile Send theraphos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

@theraphos - I'm certainly not Ed, but in lieu of him (he is currently the busiest man in thirty-seven universes), from everything I've read or have been told (by people 'in the know'), just about everything has been 'reset' to its pre-3e status, and this would go for form of government, including its laws and customs, unless stated otherwise in newer sources. In other words, if there is no 5e canon specifically addressing something, then go with whatever 1e/2e said about the place (the sizes of settlements has even been reset - the only thing really different are the specific individuals... and even they might still be around).

And if Ed chimes in, I would love to hear his opinion as well.

Thank you, that does seem to be the general trend from what little I know but I didn't know it was that official a policy. I've been away from D&D for a pretty long time.

Will keep an eye out for new books or a surprise Ed appearance, just in case.
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2017 :  16:28:58  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

I have a few questions about Bellas's Band from Calaunt. Were they your creation and did they feature prominently in your home campaign?They seem to be a fairly eclectic group of persons to band together. They seem to be split fairly evenly between Good, Neutral, and Evil alignments. Were they ever hard pressed to remain loyal to each other because of their different natures? Once they established rule in Calaunt and Bellas became seemingly on the tyrannical side of rule was it hard for Haldyn Stormkin and Halabankh Ormsarr who were good aligned to stay loyal? And what was the nature of Haldyn's 9' tall stature?

Thanks,

Sunderstone
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  05:51:51  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Hi THO,

A few years back a member here (Blueblade) posted this in the 2013 Ed thread, and you replied to it as below:
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I recall sitting in as an observer (the player spots were already taken) on an Ed-DM Realms adventure at a Milwaukee-era GenCon, where the PCs visited a location (an outdoors ruin somewhere in the Stonelands) where there were several large side-by-side gates (portals) into the same location on another Prime Material Plane.
So the always-open gates acted like a row of doors or windows you could look through into that "otherwhere" (which is what Ed called it, because the players knew it wasn't in the Realms, every opening being surrounded by that blue-white tinge Ed uses a lot to signal "magic at work."

Originally posted by The Hooded One

There are eight or nine such places that I know of from my play experience with Ed as DM, but he says he's going to hold off on a reply to that until mid-January, thanks to "publishing plans that might change in the meantime."
Other than to give me the okay to answer Blueblade: that spot in the northeastern Stonelands is known as Brendur's Pool, thanks to the fine-to-drink spring-fed pool at the bottom of the same little valley that holds the row of gates.
There's a still-secret back story to this place, involving who created those gates, and why. Secret from we Knights, that is; one of the many, many mysteries we haven't had time to delve into properly yet.

Were these gates portals to other worlds on the Prime Material (Krynn etc), or to alternate reflections of Toril? The wording of "another Prime Material Plane" from Blueblade has me a bit befuddled - I thought there was only one. He also talks of it being the "same location" on those other planes...

I was wondering if these might be alternate reflections of Toril in a manner similar to the alternate universes represented in the video-game Bioshock Infinite, which I thought might be a nice way to explain a multiverse where both our real world Earth and a Gothic Earth (a Ravenloft concept) might exist. In the case of Bioshock, if you haven't played it, they use a convoluted explanation of quantum mechanics and the Many World Interpretation to explain the existence of infinite realities, each slightly or dramatically different to the next.

Any insight you or Ed can give would be appreciated!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  03:52:22  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message
Hi THO,

Some weeks ago, I started a thread about some words that seem to share the same root. http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21664

In the case, Phandalin (the village) and Phandar (the tree) may share the same root. This would make me think that there are (or there were) many phandars in the area that Phandalin was built.

Other words I found that may have some wordplay is the Old Owl Well netherese name, Quesseer. It seems to me that it is a combination of the elven word for themselves (Tel'Quess) and the English word Seer, as it was a netherese outpost to spy on Illefarn.

Has Ed ever mentioned something about words that are related to each other, or wordplays he left for players to discover? Does he maintain a dictionary of Thorass, Loross or any other human language?

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  06:15:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

The wording of "another Prime Material Plane" from Blueblade has me a bit befuddled - I thought there was only one.

As far as I know, both Ed's design of the Realms and the overall design of D&D (though not necessarily the official cosmology diagrams) are friendly to the idea of an unknown number of parallel/alternative Primes.

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

I was wondering if these might be alternate reflections of Toril

This would be cool. It sounds like Ed already has a plan in mind for the specific location mentioned, but it's entirely possible that some of the gates which are known to connect different locations on Toril occasionally/often actually take travelers to parallel versions of Toril. The "return trip" (for 2-way portals) may return PCs to their original reality, or it might not. Lots of good storytelling possibilities there.

I look forward to Ed's responses. Just thought I'd encourage you to "run with it" in the meantime.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  06:20:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by killerasus

Does he maintain a dictionary of Thorass, Loross or any other human language?

In his head, along with elvish, dwarvish, several hin variants, abyssal and infernal, drow, draconic...

Written down? Bits of each, perhaps, but used as bookmarks and scratch paper, and thus hopelessly scattered throughout his house. But he remembers it, or spontaneously reinvents it, so no worries.
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  13:37:46  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message
Dear Ed Greenwood, dear Hooded One,
when did the elves of Faerūn invent the forging of mithral (or elven steel, if it exists...) for the first time? Was it invented in Tintageer and then brought to Toril? Or was it invented later in Faerūn, during the period of The First Flowering, or perhaps during the Crown Wars or even later in history? What did they use before? Was mithral or elven steel invented before or after the Sundering (c. –17600 DR)? In which elven realm was it forged for the first time?
Thank you very much! I would be very happy about an answer!
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  07:16:58  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
Is there a detailed image of Elminster's Tower in any of the books, or anywhere at all? I really want to use his tower for a campaign I'm running, but I'd love to be able to use something official if it's possible.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  13:00:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

Is there a detailed image of Elminster's Tower in any of the books, or anywhere at all? I really want to use his tower for a campaign I'm running, but I'd love to be able to use something official if it's possible.

Thanks!

No outside image, but check out the adventure in Dungeon #30 "Elminster's Back Door" for some information on entries into his tower. The very beginning of it gives a description. Also check out page 102 of the Forgotten Realms Atlas. It shows the layout of the interior as a sideview of the tower with the walls removed (i.e. you see tables, chairs, etc..).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  16:19:29  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
Thanks sleyvas, that's exactly the sort of info I am looking for!
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  20:50:36  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message
Also have a look in the Shadowdale book in the 2nd Edition Boxed Set. There is IIRC a full floor plan of the tower.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2017 :  05:10:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
For the pictures, the Dragonreach arc in Forgotten Realms comics: «The crew of the Realms Master travels to Shadowdale, seeking audience with Elminster».
No idea how good these comics are in sticking to the lore, however. Spelljammer comics have utterly ludicrous pages, so no bets.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2017 :  23:24:30  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

Thanks!

There's a foldup paper model of the tower here in Candlekeep.

http://www.candlekeep.com/gallery/gallery_12.htm

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2017 :  01:41:24  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
killerasus you're my hero. <3
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  04:59:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Reading through the old Maskyr's Eye Polyhedron #55 and a brief snippet in The City of Ravens Bluff and ran across a tall, beautiful half-elf by the name of Sshansalue "Wonderharp". Aside from a black leather wearing, traveling minstrel, I find no other entries on her. I'd love to know more about her. :)

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2017 :  08:48:20  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
strange question

I have a neverwinter character named Faeril.
fae mean 1 and faer means ma gic.
so what would the ril or il mean in the elven language.( closest thing with il as it self in the candlekeep elven dictionary, is with another would some something evening)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  20:29:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Found this one floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Ok - I had to look up those terms above before posting.

My question to Ed and/or the Hooded One is:

What are the "internal" names used by various races for themselves and or their languages- I'm asking from a home realms/Grey Box point of view.

We know the Elves call themselves the Tel'Quessir and I'm pretty sure we know the Halflings are the "Hin" - and we have several names for Halfling dialects (Gerult , Lurienal , Blaethur).
I know the names of the scripts for elven (Espruaur) and dwarven runes (Dethek). I've seen reference to beholder language names, so I can assume there is noe stuff we've not seen in print.

What I'd like to know are the "home realms" names races use for themselves and their languages.

I'm interested in what the following word is for these races in their own language, and what they CALL their own language (as per the hin above) as well as any regional languages - assuming as per the Grey box reference that the elven nations had a "common tongue" equivalent they used for trade between nations & with other races.

Gnomes
Dwarves
Goblins
Orcs
Elven languages

I'd really like to know what "home realms" human languages were called in the various regions (I've got Tom Costa's dragon article - I'm interested in the original names used in Ed's home game.)

I'm fully prepared for a heavily NDA'd response as I'm guessing some of this is included in materials Ed sold back in the day.

Thanks to THO & Ed in advance, and to anyone who has seen these answers elsewhere over the years.

:)
Rory

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  20:32:28  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Hi Woolly - I must have posted that oddly - Just put it up a few minutes ago - I think I entered "new Topic instead of using quick reply.
Sorry!

Thanks for posting it for me.
:)
Rory

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  21:24:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Hey, Ed and Tho!

This question comes from a conversation myself and other scribes were having in another thread.

During the Spellplague, it was implied that Mystra's realm of Dweamorheart was destroyed, but then with the Sundering, we find out Mystra is alive. My question is, what happened to Dweamorheart? Was it destroyed, and if so, what happened to the petitioners? If it wasn't destroyed, how was it sustained?

Thanks!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  05:33:53  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
How do Dragons fit into the Pantheon... If Ao is the Overgod and mandates which entities have which portfolios, does Ao also deal with the Dragon Gods, or even Goblinoid Gods?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000