Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  14:06:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a continued collection of scrolls of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a master who needs no introduction, namely - Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.

Ed's works include MANY FR sourcebooks and numerous novels, such as Cormyr: A Novel, Spellfire, Silverfall, The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy and The Elminster Series, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

For previous entries of the many, many writings of lore by Ed, please see the 2016 entries in this collection of scrolls, the 2015 entries here, the 2014 entries here, the 2013 entries here, the 2012 entries here, the 2011 entries here, the 2010 entries here, the 2009 entries here the 2008 entries here, the 2007 entries here, the 2006 entries here, the 2005 entries here, and the 2004 entries here. 'ware, these run into over 80 pages, ye may be reading for some time. For a concise read of Ed's replies, visit the "So Saith Ed" page on the Candlekeep site.

Mod Edit: Given the continuing shorter length of this scroll, I’ve now altered its title once again to accomodate any particular Ed-brand content that may come our way in 2019.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2019 00:18:40

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  15:36:59  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
Dear Ed

I am very much interested in Athalantar and I was wondering if there is a map of Hastarl that you might have in your collection? I'm trying to get an image of the capital in my mind but I just can't seem to do so.

Cheers!

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 31 Dec 2016 15:37:23
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  18:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
I would love to see more hand drawn maps of the Realms from Ed!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  18:59:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
No question, just wishing Ed and THO a happy new year.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  20:46:44  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Yep, Happy new year to all! May it bring light and joy to every world.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  01:25:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed! Best wishes of health and prosperity for 2017 and beyond!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  01:29:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Happy new year! Best wishes for both you and all you love.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  03:14:08  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Happy new year Ed and Hooded One! I hope 2017 finds you both in good health and good cheer!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  08:00:45  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message
Does the fiend origin story from the 4e demonomicnon still apply to the 5e realms? I'd think it does, as the planes of existence are the sa.m in every game world and therefore the Points of Light planes would be the same as the 4e forgotten realms planes?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2017 :  18:28:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed & THO. Hope your up to your usual antics.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2017 :  18:30:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Spectralballoons

Does the fiend origin story from the 4e demonomicnon still apply to the 5e realms? I'd think it does, as the planes of existence are the sa.m in every game world and therefore the Points of Light planes would be the same as the 4e forgotten realms planes?

The World Axis (4e cosmology) was also in the 4e Realms. It surely isn't in the 5e Realms, tho (the Great Wheel is back in 5e).

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  19:54:18  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Well, we have to take into account that the default Great Wheel of 5e is pretty different from the earlier one, as has stuff of the World Axis (such as the Feywild and the Elemental Chaos).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  19:58:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Well, we have to take into account that the default Great Wheel of 5e is pretty different from the earlier one, as has stuff of the World Axis (such as the Feywild and the Elemental Chaos).

Feywild, Shadowfell and Elemental Chaos are pretty much the only things in common, aren't they? For ther rest, it's really close to the standard Great Whell. Or am I missing something here?

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Jan 2017 19:59:16
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  20:31:30  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
AFAIK, that and that the Positive and Negative Planes are "outside" the Great Wheel, instead of being part of the Inner planes.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  15:43:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

AFAIK, that and that the Positive and Negative Planes are "outside" the Great Wheel, instead of being part of the Inner planes.

If we're talking Planescape, Positive/Negative Energy planes are Inner, and there are Quasielemental planes touching both them and elemental planes (2 groups of 4).
If we're talking 3.5, mumble mumble something mumble - oh, you know just make it up yourself. If we're talking 4e, it's right between ShadowFell, FeyWild, DuckQuack and WikiHeadache.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  15:54:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I have an NPC who claims his tolerance of alcohol is due to time spent on the Quasielemental Plane of Ale, and he cheerfully disregards any statements about the non-existence of that plane.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  15:55:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

If we're talking Planescape, Positive/Negative Energy planes are Inner, and there are Quasielemental planes touching both them and elemental planes (2 groups of 4).

Yes, and in fact the Positive and Negative, being Inner Planes, are not part of the Great Wheel because the wheel is related to the Outer Planes.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Jan 2017 15:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  16:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Spectralballoons

Hello Spectralballoons. As the spinner of that history, I'm pleased to see Demonomicon mentioned. I made a strong effort to tie in 4E concepts (demon lords being corrupted primordials, for example) with preexisting lore on the subject. I do believe this history could play well with the 5E multiverse with some minor tweaking, but that would be up to WotC to decide.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 06 Jan 2017 16:35:36
Go to Top of Page

realmslore2000
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  03:01:41  Show Profile Send realmslore2000 a Private Message
Happy New Years everyone...this is for Mr. Greenwood or if anyone else that knows an answer...
What are the names and sizes of few of the farms outside of Waterdeep and what do they produce?

I'm an idea maker, not a writer
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2017 :  03:08:03  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Hello to Ed and The Hooded One,

I was wondering if either of you could give any more info on the magical ways of multiplying crop yields mentioned in this quote from Ed, circa many years ago (the below was part of a discussion on how the land produces enough to feed a large population, plus dragons etc):
quote:
The multiply yields/purge blights/banish molds-and-infestations/slay vermin spells Chauntea has given her clergy. These have never been properly covered in print because of space reasons (the same reason you haven't seen Goldenfields properly). When we do have product space, food-growing and harvest lore just isn't as "adventure-exciting" as other material. My original players can tell you, though, from vivid play experience in the 'home' Realms campaign, of their power and of the influence wielding them gives Chauntean clergy in all frontier/newly/lightly settled areas...and hence, the behavior (nurturing gardens, aving seeds, establishing extensive root cellars, various methods of food preservation, etc.) Chauntean clergy can force on folks in areas like the Savage Frontier.

These magical expand-yields forces are in addition to the tinkerings of mages already established in the game (why we have the bulette, etc.). So the land provides plentiful bounty...hence all the monsters (they all had to grow up to be this big and that fearsome, after all).

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

SpiderReaver
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2017 :  07:05:41  Show Profile Send SpiderReaver a Private Message
I do not know if this has been brought up or asked. If so, could one point me in the direction, I would be most appreciative. If its a new question, then I look forward to a response.

The namesake of whom I am is a Character that I have played for over 32 years. I won't lie and say that he is probably an anomaly of the characters many have had over the years. He is a Ssri-Tel-Quessir and a vampire at that. He was born during the time of the 2nd Crown War of the Elves, and is still present in the current time line, which makes him pretty ancient. The question or questions that I have is there any more descriptions of Miyeritar, the Misty Forest before the Dark Disaster, and even after so, along with the changing to the Drow and the Descent. I have his history of said events, but its not canon, and currently I working on his own story and trying to keep to most events of the FR. I am fully aware that I could never really publish as it contains a lot of IP of WoTC, but its for my own and for my father to read and such.

I thank you in advance for any help

~SR
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2017 :  07:03:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
I'm being a bit cheeky here but I have another question for Ed.

Mr. Greenwood.

I have a lot of interest in Darkwatch and Tsornyl. Do you have any more indepth information that you won't find in the books?

Thank you

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  09:52:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Mr. Greenwood.

I have a lot of interest in Darkwatch and Tsornyl. Do you have any more indepth information that you won't find in the books?

Thank you

Ed provided information in 2010:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13186&whichpage=104

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  06:48:43  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Mr. Greenwood.

Thank you

Ed provided information in 2010:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13186&whichpage=104

-- George Krashos

Ahhh fair play George!

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  07:00:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
Maybe this has been answered but here goes anyway.

Dear Ed.

Do you have a specific event that introduced vampirism to Faerun and the rest of the Realms?

Cheers!

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2017 :  00:49:54  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
2016 thread is gone?
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2017 :  00:52:36  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Nah it's just not stickied like the other threads.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2017 :  20:55:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I found this one floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by tmcvicar2

It appears my OCD&D has kicked in hard. I recently picked up a copy of Dragon magazine #62, which bears one of my favorite covers of all time. My 14 year old self had probably first purchased issue #62 at The Compleat Strategist way back in 1982. Alas, it was destroyed in a house flood, along with a lot of other stuff around 1997. So when I saw a copy for sale recently, I snatched it up.

Anyway, my questions for Mr Greenwood are in relation to his Pages from the Mages article on this issue which is found on pages 16-20.

In reference to "Mhzentul's Runes"

1) it mentions the Mage Mhzentul's mountain abode. Where was this located? Was it in Featherdale, with whose forces he was fighting alongside at the Battle of the River Rising? I don't recall any mountains near Featherdale. Was it in the Thunder Peaks, where Aurglorossa, who orchestrated the Battle of the River Rising to rid herself of Mhzentul, has her abode? or was it elsewhere?

2) Greenstone Keep. Any information? Location? the priests of that place worship who?

In reference to "The Book of the Silver Talon"

1) Asmiak. Rumored to live in that direction (east, far across deserts and mountains). Anything more specific about Asmiak, his location of abilities etc.

Thanks in advance!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2017 :  21:40:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ohhhhhh... locations!
I really hope EG gets back to answering queries here.

The 'mountains' were most-likely The Dun Hills (which have a couple of very large hills, that some might term 'small mountains'. Still eagerly waiting Ed's response, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Feb 2017 21:44:51
Go to Top of Page

tmcvicar2
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2017 :  23:15:01  Show Profile Send tmcvicar2 a Private Message
Yeah, I don't know what happened when I posted that bunch pf questions, it seemed to go somewhere but didn't show up on the board.

Ancestors could hear
What is happening now
They would turn in their graves
They would all be ashamed
That the land of the free
Has been written in chains
And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I'll take what is mine
I am the clansman

Iron Maiden "The Clansman"
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2017 :  02:07:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
I thought asmiaks location would be somewhere in the moonsea north (like the abbey mountains or the galenas). Not quite sure why i assumed that but it would be nice to have a general region (if not a specific mountain range).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page