Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New short story by Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  09:40:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing stuff. Cant wait for Eds first game supplement.

Hopefully we can see all those articles Ed sent to WoTC but were never published.

Ive been waiting for the realms announcements on onder librum but username problems have prevented that.

Sounds like the twitter feed may have some secret history of the realms updates coming soon.

Exciting stuff.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  15:40:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh...came trying to get Ed to take my money but the link won't work. In the words of Futurama...SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  15:52:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Ugh...came trying to get Ed to take my money but the link won't work. In the words of Futurama...SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

From Ed:

"Mirt story on DM's Guild temporarily down; Wizards wants it wearing the full glory of its game Realmslore! Stitching glitter, back up soon!"

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/804775397716033536

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  21:39:21  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh sweet. I wonder if this means he's putting a city write-up in with the story. Found this link too:

http://realms.theedgreenwoodgroup.com/mirt-is-getting-a-makeover/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  22:03:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be neat. Although I though that Ed was going to publish a Volo's Guide to Ormpur on the DMGuild, after Mirt's tale. Maybe he's going to release everything in a single product.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  23:26:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

That would be neat. Although I though that Ed was going to publish a Volo's Guide to Ormpur on the DMGuild, after Mirt's tale. Maybe he's going to release everything in a single product.

That's what I thought too. I'm not exactly clear on what the plan is, but I assume some glitter stitching is a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  14:28:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he does a Volo's Guide to the High Forest and Moonsea I will wet myself.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  22:28:36  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I guess this will be enough to fulfill Ed's "one FR product per year" clause... sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  23:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He already released DEATH MASKS this year so for 2016, it was already fulfilled.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  23:14:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a bonus story.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2016 :  02:26:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

If he does a Volo's Guide to the High Forest and Moonsea I will wet myself.

He's told me he'll be concentrating on smaller-in-scope stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2016 :  04:44:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So instead of doing the whole Moon Sea, maybe Phlan for example.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  01:15:52  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All Thing Through The Bright Flames is back up!
It's still got the "fan fiction" bit at the front, but it now has an added appendix with game relevant info!
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/199519/ALL-THINGS-THROUGH-THE-BRIGHT-FLAMES--The-First-Tale-of-Mirt-In-the-Time-After-The-Sundering

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  13:09:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. I'm bummed that they didn't do away with the fanfic thing, tho.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  14:49:55  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what does this mean? That it isn't official canon? :(
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  14:59:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, it isn't. Granted, as others have said, canon has lost much of its value now, but WotC deciding to acknowledge Ed's work on the DMGuild as canon, maybe even support/publicize it, would be a (much needed) reason to remain hopeful about the future of the Realms.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Dec 2016 14:59:34
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  16:13:36  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calling Ed's writing "fan fic" is a damn slap in the face. I don't get this company at ALL. That said, I'll of course buy anything Ed puts out there on DM Guild in order to get more of it and encourage said behavior.

Edited by - Seravin on 06 Dec 2016 16:23:02
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  16:19:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Calling Ed's writing "fan fic" is a damn slap in the face.

This. It doesn't diminish the value of Ed's work or my desire to support him, but it makes me more and more jaded towards WotC.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  16:23:23  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed with the above two posts. Why, WotC, why? :(
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  17:25:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHRISTOPHER PERKINS MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!1!1!

Feeling nostalgic...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  18:38:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sigh* Here we go again...

It's not that WotC specifically declared Ed's writing to be fan fiction. It's that Ed is writing and publishing something thru a site that since day 1 was declared to contain non-canon material. It's not the same thing, and I'm getting really, really tired of this constant negativity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  19:11:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was being sarcastic with the Chris Perkins comment. I was feeling nostalgic for 2008.

Not really caring what WotC does or doesn't do with the Realms is rather liberating. If I like the product, I buy it, if I don't like it, I pass. I have more than enough Realms "stuff" to last me a lifetime.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  19:13:09  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal disappointment stems not from the fact that Ed initially published the story as fanfiction. While disappointing, I could understand that, because of the nature of the DMGuild. However, looking back now, I think perhaps a number of us mistakenly believed from Ed's tweet that WotC was sanctioning it as official canonical material, when in reality, it appears that even Ed isn't an exception to the rule that fiction-only stuff aren't allowed on the DMGuild. I haven't gotten a copy of the new version yet, but is the added stuff just mechanics relevant to D&D gameplay?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  21:44:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed's tweet:

"Mirt story on DM's Guild temporarily down; Wizards wants it wearing the full glory of its game Realmslore! Stitching glitter, back up soon!"

WoTC specifically looked at Ed's post; asked him to modify it, and STILL required the creator of the Realms to declare his work as fan fiction. I guess my disappointment stems from that this company has a very easy chance to please fans by waiving the DM Guild = Not Canon rule for the creator, but STILL stubbornly chose not to because reasons. If I'm not allowed to express disappointment in WoTC's lack of ability to bend a policy for the creator of the Realms itself, I guess I'm not in the right place.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  22:56:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll point out that they made the its not cannon rule is a soft one, not a hard one, they reserved the right from the beginning to declare any work on DMS guild canon.

I'm tired of BS choices on the part of WotC.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  02:15:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I'll point out that they made the its not cannon rule is a soft one, not a hard one, they reserved the right from the beginning to declare any work on DMS guild canon.

Exactly. And it was Ed's choice to publish there, knowing that was the policy. No one forced him to publish there, and their policy on the site was stated quite clearly on day 1.

Again, this is not WotC deliberately making a statement about Ed's writing on the DM's Guild -- this is the policy that applies to every single person who decides to write for that site, whether they are prior published Realms authors or some random guy who thinks he's got a kewl idea.

It's not a deliberate slight against Ed or anyone else. WotC did nothing at all, here.

I've said more than once I'm happy to complain about WotC when I disagree with their actions -- but there was no action here.

And people are acting like there was, because we've gotten into this "WotC is evil!" schtick that makes us look at everything WotC does in the worst possible light.

The lack of support for the Realms is bad enough. Every other post here being about that same topic just makes it worse.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  03:08:19  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On reflection, what Wooly says makes a lot of sense. On twitter Ed has said he has "no idea" why the short story is considered fanfic, and my guess is that it is indeed simply due to the DM's Guild policy. More than likely, Ed just published the story there, and that's the policy. WotC probably didn't review it, make sure it fits in with their current canon, etc - so the fanfic default makes sense.

Admittedly, it would be great if the DM's Guild had it's own automatic "canon" tag for Ed's work, but that's not really how the site is set up. It's quite literally a site for fan works.

At the end of the day, for it to be canon, it would have to go through a WotC review process, and to be honest I'm just happy to get as much Ed-lore as I can get. It's still canon in many of our eyes, even if not in an official sense. Same goes for the works of Elaine or any other of the greats - fanfic label or no fanfic label, it's canon to me. So perhaps letting them post to the DM's Guild whatever they like, without an official "canonicity" review by the current powers that be, could even be a good thing.

Edit: I also have to agree that the constant WotC bashing here can't in any way help the situation. If I was WotC staff I'd be inclined to look here for lore and lore ideas, but if my work was constantly abused, I'd become less and less inclined to visit, and that would be a shame - and a loss for us.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 07 Dec 2016 03:12:57
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  13:57:14  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a question regarding something I genuinely don't know about: Is there any other means that Ed could publish Forgotten Realms related stuff without going through WotC or some WotC-affiliated platform like the DMGuild? Wouldn't he run into legal issues if he did that since WotC owns the intellectual property?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  14:11:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not that I know of.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2016 :  19:23:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This just occurred to me, and given my usual 'gloomy' outlook on things, I have to wonder why this hadn't occurred to me earlier...

What if WotC 'bought' the story merely to satisfy their contractual agreements with Ed?

Buying a tiny little short story by him every year may work-out cheaper/more efficient than a lawsuit, in the log-run. All they have to do now is wait until Jan. 1st to release it an WALLAH, they're good for 2017.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000