Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Volo's Guide to ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  07:58:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Now that Ed has let the tarrasque out of the bag on social media, I can't wait for his first DMs Guild piece which will involve a visit by Mirt to Ormpur, a small "dungeon" set there and ... Volo's Guide to Ormpur. Sheer bliss.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great News!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  08:44:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is a nice early christmas present. I wonder what lore nuggets will be hidden within.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  13:17:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news indeed, I'm looking forward to it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  16:01:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did I miss?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  16:03:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What did I miss?

Ed's publishing short stories, mini Volo's guides and adventures on the DMGuild.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  16:07:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What did I miss?

Ed's publishing short stories, mini Volo's guides and adventures on the DMGuild.

SWEET!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  16:56:02  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do we convince him to do Volo's Guide to the Moonsea?! :)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  19:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Super excited for this.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  19:15:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

How do we convince him to do Volo's Guide to the Moonsea?! :)

Ed has said that he'd rather write many Volo's guide to small regions or single settlements, than fewer but larger guides to whole regions.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  20:08:18  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what era the guides will be set in. Praying the 1300s like the other guides.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  20:18:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I wonder what era the guides will be set in. Praying the 1300s like the other guides.

I have a feeling that they will be set in the modern era, tbh, judging from this comment:

quote:
I'm afraid there is no "Volo's Guide to Sword Coast 2." Volo is mentioned in passing in Death Masks and other recent novels. He is the author of the just-released Dungeonology (Matt Forbeck wrote that book and voiced Volo), and I wrote Elminster's introduction (it's in an envelope at the beginning of the book). Elminster and Volo spar in the margins throughout the forthcoming Volo's Guide To Monsters (I wrote them both; the Wizards staffers wrote the meaty monster lore they comment on). Also, coming soon from my pen and DM's Guild, Mirt the Moneylender visits Ormpur, the City of Saffron, is a short fiction tale and an associated "dungeon"...and soon to follow, also from DM's Guild, you'll see Volo's Guide to Ormpur.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  17:32:55  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is super exciting!

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but is anyone able to tell me how Volo is still alive? I couldn't find much information on the FR Wiki about the man himself, other than that he's a scholar and minor wizard. He appears to be human, is it by blessings of the gods and/or his association with Elminster that his life has been extended?

I realize that that tidbit fundamentally doesn't matter, as it's always been about the substance of his guides than the "man" himself. However, is there more information about the Volo behind the guides, at the very least, secrets into his longevity?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  17:37:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra made him a chosen. She did that as a contingency (since she had foreseen the Spellplague) and hid parts of her essence in the most unsuspectable people, Volo among them. Ed drops this tidbit, among many others, in Death Masks.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  18:20:09  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mystra made him a chosen. She did that as a contingency (since she had foreseen the Spellplague) and hid parts of her essence in the most unsuspectable people, Volo among them. Ed drops this tidbit, among many others, in Death Masks.

Thank you! I haven't read Death Masks yet. This is good to know. :D I guess although Volo is hardly unsuspectable to us, in the Realms he'd just be the equivalent of a wandering journalist who pens things that are perhaps most notable in his world as getting on Elminster's nerves. Sounds more like someone with a death wish than normal Chosen material, huh? XD

Edited by - sno4wy on 26 Oct 2016 18:21:10
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  19:46:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a bit convenient. There are countless anonymous people after all, so it could have been anyone. Volo just got lucky I guess. Although it does make sense, if you think about it, since his proven ability to survive and run away may have led Mystra to think that he would not only be an unsuspectable recipient, but also hard to kill. In any case, it brings Volo back and allows for more books, which is just so needed in this era of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  23:45:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this. I do love me some "Volo's Guides".

Maybe he and I can reconcile with Realmslore, since I am re-doing the FR maps based on the Fonstad ones, which he says are 'the closest thing to my originals'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  08:18:22  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news ! Thanks, George
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000