Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  21:42:04  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/35311.All_Forgotten_Realms_Books

It appears there are 167 or more Forgotten Realms novels.

I pray that they're just shifting fiction to DMGuild and not crushing it to nothingness.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  21:59:34  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber
I doubt that a high profile author like RAS would accept such a thin deal though, so I guess it remains to be seen if it's true that they aren't offering any more contracts. If that's the case, they could be technically telling the truth when they say they aren't cancelling the novel line... it just disappears, because none of their authors can come to terms with them.

They already kinda did that with Paul Kemp.

They have been culling the novel line for awhile. They relegated several newer authors to Ebooks only to see if it would be profitable(My guess is it wasn't), then cancelled a lot of them altogether.

Realistically, we have gone from having dozens of authors to having 3 Authors in the past few years.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  22:15:53  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't know who currently runs WOTC, but it is plain they want FR to fail and slowly fade into obscurity and have for years.

Yes, someone at WotC has decided the company doesn't need to make money and to entirely kill off a revenue stream, causing the property to be lost to them as it reverts to Ed per the original sale agreement. This is perfectly logical; businesses exist to piss away money.

For the love of Lurue, can we please stop assuming malicious intent behind every decision we don't agree with? That routine was old years ago, when the Spellplague was still new.

It is actually not uncommon in corporate politics Wooly. Especially a corporation the size of Hasbro.

Time Warner executives intentionally sabotaged the products of many subsidiaries during their hidden executive power struggles before and during the AOL merger, up to and including one of the most watched cable shows that was garnering ratings in the high 4.5-6 on the Nielsen ratings regularly. They literally and intentionally killed the shows ability to function by employing standards and practices that made it near impossible to put out good product and within 3 years it was reduced to a 2.5 on nielsen ratings. They then put the show's company up for sale, and had an offer on the table for $48 million dollars(If they got the time slot. no reason not to since 2.5 is still a great rating for a TV show) and destroyed THE OFFER because the executive in charge of TNT programming was on one side of the political infighting and removed it's time slot on his programming and so they had to take the only other of $2.5 million dollars.

It only came out years later in detail from dozens of sources who worked under time warner at the time. When executives want to sabotage other executives, it is done in circumventing ways. The corporate suits worry about their stock options going up and down and play the game.

The same thing happened when Daimler and Chrysler merged.

Why didn't they just sell the subsidiary company? Why sabotage a good show?

Besides, sabotaging projects that people put a lot of effort into only to get at each other, is just puerile and stupid IMO.

They did sll the subsidiary company......for 2.5 million Dollars instead of 48 million dollars. The new president of the TV side of things new what he was doing though. By removing the primetime time slot, he killed the value of the deal. By arguing the show did not attract the demographics of more valuable advertisers looking to buy airtime.

When CEO's battle for complete control, people under them maneuver for position and advancement and do anything to make the others look bad.

Ted Turner was a genius and entrepreneurial visionary(This is the guy who created 24 hour news and CNN and channels like superstation and TNT). But merging with Warner effectively ruined him years later. under his leadership, Entrepreneurs and risk takers were welcome. But corporations are ruled by those terrified of losing a few points on their stock options, wanting predictable safe methods that don't offend their shareholders or make bumps. Entrepreneurial vision was slowly culled into corporate politics as "Standards and practices" severely limited, delayed and ruined the culture. What was once a team of people on the same page was now a giant office building filled with people undercutting each other and forming factions.

Turner kept fighting for what he believed in an the entrepreneurial spirit, so eventually he was ousted completely. A spectator in the company he created. The merger later with AOL is still the biggest disaster in corporate history.
They lost something like 100 Billion

Edited by - Firestorm on 21 Aug 2016 23:25:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  22:34:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
I doubt that a high profile author like RAS would accept such a thin deal though, so I guess it remains to be seen if it's true that they aren't offering any more contracts. If that's the case, they could be technically telling the truth when they say they aren't cancelling the novel line... it just disappears, because none of their authors can come to terms with them.

Yup. And I have a feeling that's what may have happened with Troy Denning as well. Time will tell if the same happens with Erin and even RAS. No announcements, just no contracts agreed upon, so no more books.

I personally don't assume that not having anything publicly announced right now means nothing can ever be done in the future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Aug 2016 22:35:37
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  23:19:17  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup. And I have a feeling that's what may have happened with Troy Denning as well. Time will tell if the same happens with Erin and even RAS. No announcements, just no contracts agreed upon, so no more books.

I personally don't assume that not having anything publicly announced right now means nothing can ever be done in the future.

Believe me, I tried staying positive for a long time. I am just at wits end with WOTC.

Its been 3 years since the Sundering release. They immediately after dropped and locked down to 3 authors(1 of whom they HAVE to allow 1 release per year) and have subsequently cancelled books from other authors that had been announced.

Paul Kemp, whose books were immensely popular, at least went public with his reasoning. Please pay us industry standard.

He explained personally on reddit that when he started, writing netted him $5000-$7000 per year and as his popularity grew, he averaged $35000-$45000, with his best year being $70000.

I found that eye opening considering he a sold over a million forgotten realms novels according to reliable sources and given the prices of both Paperback and Hardcover.
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  00:03:54  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my guess is that FR is suffering from unrealistic sales demands (even as early and 3rd edition, it was noted that WOTC expected toy line sales from D&D, unrealistic numbers) combined with likely reduced sales numbers since 4th edition drove off a lot of fans
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  01:16:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

quote:
I can state it, in this case, because if they deliberately kill the Realms -- or even just the novel line -- they lose the setting. It's not a case of screwing someone else or manipulating the sale price -- they don't publish, the setting reverts to Ed. No money changes hands, and the only losers are WotC themselves.

I'm sure that the legal position is not that simple, and at the end of the day it would be a legal battle between a huge, multinational company and a Canadian librarian. There's only going to be one loser there.

The Swordsage

Not much room for a legal battle when a contract says "Party A does this or the rights revert to Party B" -- and then Party A fails to meet their obligation.

There are also a fair number of lawyers that will take a case and only get paid if they win.

Also, all Ed would have to do is agree to license the setting to another company -- someone like Margaret Weis Productions, for example -- and there's more money for a legal battle.

I understand that there are other factors, too, which would make it more than just big company versus little guy.

And with lawyers' fees, the cost of fighting to defend their breach of contract could wind up costing WotC/Hasbro more than the property is worth.

Wading in here and putting on my lawyer hat, without looking at the original contract agreement and more importantly the contract of sale between TSR and WotC, it's hard to say what would happen. But as for your last statement Wooly, I think that as long as Hasbro think that a Hollywood film can come out of this IP, they'll be taking a very tough approach to simply losing it for nothing to Ed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  15:29:26  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Believe me, I tried staying positive for a long time. I am just at wits end with WOTC.

Its been 3 years since the Sundering release. They immediately after dropped and locked down to 3 authors(1 of whom they HAVE to allow 1 release per year) and have subsequently cancelled books from other authors that had been announced.

Paul Kemp, whose books were immensely popular, at least went public with his reasoning. Please pay us industry standard.

He explained personally on reddit that when he started, writing netted him $5000-$7000 per year and as his popularity grew, he averaged $35000-$45000, with his best year being $70000.

I found that eye opening considering he a sold over a million forgotten realms novels according to reliable sources and given the prices of both Paperback and Hardcover.

If DMGuild starts to allow fiction/novels, and Kemp sells a million or even half a million copies of a new book, at what 40% profit for him? That would net him far more money then WotC would have offered him in a contract. WotC is run by idiots these days.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  15:31:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50% profit, actually. But the advantage is that they don't risk or invest anything. All the risk would be on Paul (or whoever for him).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  16:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DMsGuild also doesn't reach that kind of audience, nor does it allow for effective marketing like normal self-publishing (which also has a higher % profit ratio) would. Finally, it is a nonnegotiable contract. If he puts it up, they can take it down and publish it themselves without paying him anything. The 50% shared profit comes from the DMsGuild but you sign over the rights to put it up (imcluding publucation rights). They can publish it, and they don't need to pay a dime to the creator for any sale that happens outside the DMsGuild listing if I recall the contract correctly. So if they pull it so a $0.99 book isn't competing with a $5 ebook or print book, they don't have to pay anything 0% profit for the creator) because those sales happen outside of the DMsGuild listing.

I might be wrong (can't relook at the contract right now) but thats how I recall it.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 22 Aug 2016 16:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  00:57:28  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided to google search a few things based on my assumptions.

http://www.quietspeculation.com/2015/02/crushing-the-dream-of-working-at-wizards-of-the-coast/

Some insight on working for WOTC.

Another was a 4 parter. I skipped to part 4 here because he describes a lot of what happened when "Corporate America" stepped in to a situation he was dealing with and how limited he was.

http://daddyrolleda1.blogspot.ca/2011/11/my-time-working-with-wizards-of-coast.html

Edited by - Firestorm on 23 Aug 2016 01:14:35
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  06:38:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Paul Kemp to death, but the DMs Guild is not a place to "sell" anything IMO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  07:15:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does that mean you will be doing no more work on the dms guild (but hopefully still on these halls.

Would you care to elaborate on the reasons. Is it a legal thing, and expectations thing, or something else.

I myself have found downloads to be quite low and believe the lack of organisation on the guild to be a hindering factor.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  07:23:30  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's for sure. It's so hard to find diamonds in so much rough that I can't imagine it being worth any author's time to publish on there. Unless they decided to feature new novels on the front page, but even then I still doubt that being a great strategy - amongst the D&D players I see regularly, it's only the DMs that ever actually visit the site. I've bought a few tidbits on there, but the quality varies so greatly I look at every product on there with a very dubious eye, unless it's from an author I recognize. I doubt WotC will ever want to publish their own stuff on a site with that kind of rep - IMHO it diminishes the product, as compared to having the book available on more reputable sites like Amazon. The best thing about the DM's Guild to me is that it allows fans to share stuff they've made with each other, while generating a nice bit of profit for WotC, which hopefully they will channel into D&D (word is their team has recently grown, so that's a good sign).

As far as the novel line goes, I honestly can't imagine a situation where WotC would let their rights to it slip. I don't see any indication that anyone is trying to run D&D or the Forgotten Realms into the ground - D&D sales are up, and they're allegedly making a Hollywood-style FR movie! Maybe they've simply found that 4-6 novels a year gives them the best return for their investment, I can't see any reason to believe that they're dipping below that. That's still a new novel set in the Forgotten Realms coming out every 2-3 months, and I know I'm relatively new to the Realms, but that really doesn't seem that bad to me! I'm always extremely hungry for the next one. I know people are used to more, and more areas of the Realms being covered, but maybe the more obscure ones just don't cut the cheddar for them. The FR fans here are the hardcore ones, and maybe not enough other people are willing to pay for a new novel every month.

Long story short, I don't see any reason to believe anything malicious is going on here.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  23:47:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't see any indication that anyone is trying to run D&D or the Forgotten Realms into the ground"

Then no offence, you haven't been paying attention. The SCAG is scrawny, anorexic, poor substitute for a proper FRCG, the novels have turned into a trickled, they're down to three authors, soon to be two or less, and we have 1 adventure and Volo's Guide to Monsters, there really is no novel department any more, and the only think WotC/Hasbro cares now is synergy with video games and movies. Honestly I wish they'd sell WotC to a company that would support it, and nuture it, instead of drowning it in the bath.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  02:07:43  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offence taken! I just disagree. Their strategy is definitely different to how it has been in the past, and it's a strategy with less products per year, but I'm one consumer that's been happy with everything being put out there. I may be totally wrong, I'm new to the Realms having arrived properly with 5th edition, but I see their approach to FR being similar to their approach to D&D - involving less products per year, but seemingly greater interest and growth (just going off enworld reports). It's an approach that seems to be working for them as far as I can tell.

Of course I'd love a campaign guide and all the frills - I'm personally hoping that they're waiting until they move on to another setting (and thereby be done with the adventure RSEs), so that the Realms is stable when the next FRCG is released. As far as the novel lines slipping further than they already have, just because nothing's been announced for 2017 yet doesn't mean nothing will be - their current approach definitely seems to favour short notice (at least as far as D&D products go).

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see! Who knows, maybe the FR movie will actually be good, and bring in a whole new world of interest...if it's possible for someone to actually make a good D&D movie. This fan is, at least for now, remaining optimistic about the future of the Realms (as was Ed last time I checked).

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  02:41:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

"I don't see any indication that anyone is trying to run D&D or the Forgotten Realms into the ground"

Then no offence, you haven't been paying attention. The SCAG is scrawny, anorexic, poor substitute for a proper FRCG, the novels have turned into a trickled, they're down to three authors, soon to be two or less, and we have 1 adventure and Volo's Guide to Monsters, there really is no novel department any more, and the only think WotC/Hasbro cares now is synergy with video games and movies. Honestly I wish they'd sell WotC to a company that would support it, and nuture it, instead of drowning it in the bath.

They gave us source material that they didn't need to give us, including a book that was pure lore and no game stats -- and we have another coming soon. We've had more than one adventure. And for the video games and movies to synergize, they've got to have a supported setting.

How this constitutes a deliberate attempt to destroy the setting is beyond me. It's further beyond me how one can maintain that WotC wants to destroy the setting and keep making money off of it at the same time.

And in all of this, I still haven't seen one reason given for why supposedly want to destroy the setting that they are planning on continuing to make money from.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  10:50:15  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertNot much room for a legal battle when a contract says "Party A does this or the rights revert to Party B" -- and then Party A fails to meet their obligation
of course tranlated into "corporate legalese" that simple statement certainly fills a dozen paragraphs over just as many pages, leaving plenty of room to go to court for many years
Go to Top of Page

chibi_grazzt
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  04:05:27  Show Profile Send chibi_grazzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The topic came up at the Candlekeep seminar at GenCon. Obviously, a definitive answer could not be provided, but the authors/designers there didn't think the novel line was in imminent danger of being entirely removed.

hi Wooley!
I was there; maybe not entirely cancelled where RAS and Greenwood are concerned, (and WotC is willing to battle a lawsuit).

My Realms Drow Campaign for D&D 5e:
https://doomofthedrow.obsidianportal.com

Edited by - chibi_grazzt on 25 Aug 2016 04:07:01
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  04:54:59  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, as far as I know, Bob still has not been offered a new contract with WotC. Hero will be his last Drizzt book if no new contract is offered. Bob has indicated that he would gladly continue writing, so we know that the problem is not on his end. It really seems to me, if a new contract is not offered to Wizard's most profitable author by far, that they are going to let the novels die. Thats really sad, and I still have no clue why they are doing it, but it seems to be almost a fact now. Faridah ends this year, Byers book was cancelled, Drizzt will end this year, no new contracts being offered, and no news of a new Elminster book... I can just about hear the fat lady singing. I hope I am wrong, but the future looks bleak for Forgotten Realms novel.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  18:32:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

What you write here is very disturbing. :/ I know that RAS pointed that he typed "THE END" at the end of Hero, so it looks gloomy for Drizzt. If Drizzt dies then there is no point to continue FR. He was the main marketing point nowadays.

I hope this isn't the case! It can be "the end" without RAS killing Drizzt. While the Drizzt books aren't my favorite (they don't have the same feel of the Realms as other novels), I still love Drizzt as a character. I'm hoping the "end of the line" ends on a happy note. And, if this is the end of the FR novel line as a whole, then I don't want anymore of a bitter taste in my mouth than I will already have.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  21:32:48  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This just seems to be a foolish, if not completely bone headed, time for them to be considering cancelling the realms books. Assuming the movie does well, and that's not a forgone conclusion but I'm hopeful, they will be drawing in an entire new group of fans looking to find out more if the world the movie takes place in. I haven't seen the numbers but my understanding from talking to friends who follow it is that comic book sales have soared since the marvel universe has taken off. There is a renewed interest by people who dropped comics years ago and an entire new group of readers who loved the movies and wanted more. The realms movie, and hopefully that's movies instead of movie, could likely create an upswing in sales for wotc by drawing in movie fans. Maybe they are letting things sit as they are until they see if the movie works but at the very least I would keep my main authors under contract while making preparations to sign new authors and publish a book every six hours to accommodate the new fans. Put a shiny new book on the new release stand as often as possible and keep the interest of the movie goers who likely won't have the same type of interest as the current Fandom who read every scrap of lore not just the latest fun story. The length of the novels, 300 something pages instead of the door stoppers that most fantasy authors put out now, would appeal to that type of fan as well. This is an opportunity for growth and if they truly are letting the books die off I'd be utterly confused by their decision.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2016 :  00:03:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still think it means that they plan on moving the novels towards a DMSGuild like business model, at least I hope so, its better then nothing.
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  01:00:12  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a DMsguild model makes sense. it proably won't be the DMsguild itself, but by going with an online distribution they 1: cut out the cost of having to go through a publisher. 2: remove the overheard for materials.

I know Battletech/Mechwarrior has basicly adopted this approuch

Edited by - BrianDavion on 27 Aug 2016 01:00:57
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:03:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how a DMsGuild model would impact the income of the authors? I suppose a release date can be announced and preorders taken so that those of us who want actual books instead of files to read can get them. But, if the books aren't hitting the shelves after that won't this lower their overall income? What about libraries getting copies?

I can see where the overhead costs are lowered for WotC but I'm concerned Ed and others will make less money in the long run.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  17:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would need a LOT of convincing before I decided that a DMsGuild model for further Realms novels could actually turn out to be worth my while. I suspect many other former Realms novelists would view the situation similarly.

Sorry if that seems cold to anyone, but we pro writers have to balance our love of the setting against the need to have a real career.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  00:06:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I would need a LOT of convincing before I decided that a DMsGuild model for further Realms novels could actually turn out to be worth my while. I suspect many other former Realms novelists would view the situation similarly.

Sorry if that seems cold to anyone, but we pro writers have to balance our love of the setting against the need to have a real career.

That seems practical, not cold.

You could dip your toe in to test the waters with a short story.

Example maybe you put out a short story about character x, making a note in the short story that if you reach Y amount of sales you'll write a sequal novel.

Alternately you could do a kick starter, say a short story for x amount of dollars, with stretch goals that add in size, then add in new chapters, then a stretch goal to turn it into a full novel, then a stretch goal to turn it into a trilogy, and finally a stretch goal to turn it into a full fledge series.

Just a friendly suggestion on how to possibly make the system work for you.

I do know its worked for Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness writer, abit most of those are RPG books, but some of the stretch goals have included novels I think.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  05:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gyor: Assuming that the DMsGuild (or an analogue) opens up for Realms fiction, testing the water with a short story might be a reasonable thing to try.

Unfortunately, though, a freelance writer can't take the initiative to do a Kickstarter based on Wizards of the Coast's intellectual property, so that idea won't fly.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  12:31:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  14:41:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding the the DMsGuild is not open for fiction. Which is a tad confusing, since there's a Fiction section under RPG Media.

I have very mixed feelings about fiction on the DMG. Fan writers might be pissed off if "signature characters" were off limits to anyone but their creators, but that's the only scenario I'd be comfortable with. YMMV.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000