Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Netheril: The Nether Age
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  16:01:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This will be the next title in my Netheril series, focusing on the Nether Age.

Its a long way from completion but im starting to get into the fleshing out stage and moving on from formative themes.

So if there is anything you would like to see or think needs addressing about the history of Netheril during the Nether Age then please say so.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  16:10:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really getting into the Rengarth now.

Working on the ancestor, place, and other spirits of rengarth religion (not that it could be called a religion).

So far ive got The Old Crone who helps defeat ones terrible enemies but requires a living infant as her price. She gave advice to Rengar before he left on his final quest to save the Rengarth from some unknown enemy.

Then there is the Giant Reaper who has power over earthquakes, landslides, and volcanoes. He is often called upon to destroy enemies as well. He has many names among the Rengarth such as Targosd, and is depicted as a huge many armed human.

Next there is the Storm Wolf, a great black wolf who lives in the Far Horns Forest and has power over storms. He is called upon to make it rain and destroy ones enemies.

Pretty much all the Rengarth spirits are called upon to destroy ones enemies.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  17:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see that you are still writing. I will happily avaits your musing. We have already talked about some themes for this era in previous threads but I will keep you in mind for any querries about this age.
Good work man :-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  18:12:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ive been doing musing and writing aplenty.

Ive moved the big cranes at harbourage into the nether age to better develop the rust monster theme in that settlement.

Ive figured out what olostin had that the phaerimm wanted (it wasnt knowledge) and what they gave him in return.
Ive figured out a lot of history of the rengarth and tied it to the present.

I think i might have added in a primordial and i think i know who it is as well.

Lots to gel together.

Right know im trying to work out low level detail to bring some life to the region. Rengarth are first. Ill do the religion, the tribes, the leaders, the heroes, the history, the favourite places.

Then its on to Thaeravel and then Seventon again.

Ive got a new magic ubiversity in the nether age. It will rival the arcanus magere and eventually cause the collapse of both.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  11:15:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rengarth religion done.

In addition to the above is Nalla the Lake Spirit, which is based on an actual creature that was created by the sarrukh and will be plaguing the netherese ships.

Then there are the ancestor spirits which includes anything from ones deceased father to the tribe founder or great chiefs of the past.

Then there is the great father who represents rengar himself and his spirit ground is the sky column mountains. He requires a sacrifice of a magic item to invoke his aid.

Finally are the nature spirits which include any random phenomena. The rengarth mark their place with a circle with 5 or more arms arranged around its outside, bent in a clockwise directions. These spirits are believed malevolent and benevolent so are placated as often as called on for aid.

I might add a few more as i think of special animals but thats the basis.

The nature spirits actually represent baddies from the rengarth past (and netherils very near future)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  12:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Rengarth religion done.

Finally are the nature spirits which include any random phenomena. The rengarth mark their place with a circle with 5 or more arms arranged around its outside, bent in a clockwise directions. These spirits are believed malevolent and benevolent so are placated as often as called on for aid.

That sound a lot like garagos :-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  13:29:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its not, although there is no reason why that symbol cannot bleed into the netherese worship of targus which later influences garagos worship. The netherese get their name for Targus from the Rengarth initially so why not borrow a symbol or two as well

The symbol is actually a reference to the phaerimm. They are a recurring villain and i am having them plague the rengarth in the past before netheril. Rengar, the Sky Path, the Sky Column Mountains, Bloodrazor (his sword) are all connected to the phaerimm.

Im attempting to sow subtle clues and hints into the regions history and geography before i gradually reveal them from the mythallar age onwards. Im trying to give the phaerimm some meaning and identity and motives beyond just being a big bad. They want things, they try to acquire them. Once they have them they craft the magic drain and life drain spells and then proceed to wipe out netheril.

Oh and the new primordial i am inserting will be called Uumm, which is a corruption of the name of a primordial that is actually documented. It looks like he stepped on quite a few beings by accident, including Moander. Something taken from the legend surrounding Moander's footstep which will account for later events.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  15:43:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a few Rengarth tribes.
The Angardt, descended from Angar, Rengar's monstrously deformed son (theres a clue there as to why the angardt are a bit more magical than others).
The Vandaldt, descended from Vandalla the Raveness.
The Akordt, ultra devout tribe that rabidly destroy magic (an origin for a race of creatures in the Ride).
The Spyrgardt, descended from Spyrgar. Wander the frozen tundra in the north.
The Redgardt, descended from Redgar.
The Maddogdt, descended from Maddog who slew one of Rengar's children and was outcast for it. Ventured into the eastern lands and claimed a lush valley. The whole tribe went mad and killed each other. No Rengar go east now because of their fate. (My reinterpretation of a bit in the original netheril boxed set i didnt like).

Im sure i will come up with a few more

Alternate Realms Site