Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dark Elven Migrations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2016 :  14:47:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A curious question appeared in my head that I remember thinking after the first time that I read GHotR. So, the Ilythiir of Clan Sethomiir, guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai, travel to the Riildath. They construct an underground fortress named Narathmault (located where "modern" day Dun-Tharos is) at a place of great evil. Four hundred years later, the descent is forced upon them, but they were already underground. From this, I can easily figure that any dark elves in the area comprising the bloodstone lands, unapproachable east, the old empires,and even around the moonsea/dalelands areas probably ultimately derive from this group. The ones further south probably ultimately derive from the Ilythiir tribes in the south.

Just wondering, the dark elves beneath the north though, or in Maztica, do we have any kind of "where they came from" relating back to the old Crown Wars era empires? I imagine some of them may have been from elves in the north who found themselves suddenly changed. The Maztica piece, I'm betting somewhere it was written up. Anyway, if the answer is, "no, nothing defined" that's ok... I was more curious than anything.

For that matter, are there any documented instances of dark elves in the other regions of Toril (hordelands/Anchorome/Zakhara/Kara-Tur or even any of the other really unknown regions such as Osse).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2016 :  15:46:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC The Drow that eventually founded Menzoberanzan, migrated from the Great Rift area.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2016 :  20:13:34  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I remember from the Maztica novel trilogy, the drow in Maztica got cut off from mainland Faerun, same as the dwarves they were battling, and turned to the worship of Zaltec. Lolth got revenge later by turning them into driders. Cordell's lover was also supposed to be an albino drow who passed herself off as a moon elf.

The only thing I could remember from Zakhara is the worship of Lotha(sp?) by a tribe of elves who were burned for their sins.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  01:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

From what I remember from the Maztica novel trilogy, the drow in Maztica got cut off from mainland Faerun, same as the dwarves they were battling, and turned to the worship of Zaltec. Lolth got revenge later by turning them into driders. Cordell's lover was also supposed to be an albino drow who passed herself off as a moon elf.

There's no evidence that there were any more than the small group mentioned in the novels, but I'd really like to assume there are. I've worked homebrew describing their interactions with the tlincalli that inhabit the Maztican underdark but other than that, we haven't heard anything else from the True World drow.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 01 Jul 2016 01:55:02
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  03:32:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

The only thing I could remember from Zakhara is the worship of Lotha(sp?) by a tribe of elves who were burned for their sins.

Where was this mentioned?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  11:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

A curious question appeared in my head that I remember thinking after the first time that I read GHotR. So, the Ilythiir of Clan Sethomiir, guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai, travel to the Riildath. They construct an underground fortress named Narathmault (located where "modern" day Dun-Tharos is) at a place of great evil. Four hundred years later, the descent is forced upon them, but they were already underground. From this, I can easily figure that any dark elves in the area comprising the bloodstone lands, unapproachable east, the old empires,and even around the moonsea/dalelands areas probably ultimately derive from this group. The ones further south probably ultimately derive from the Ilythiir tribes in the south.

Just wondering, the dark elves beneath the north though, or in Maztica, do we have any kind of "where they came from" relating back to the old Crown Wars era empires? I imagine some of them may have been from elves in the north who found themselves suddenly changed. The Maztica piece, I'm betting somewhere it was written up. Anyway, if the answer is, "no, nothing defined" that's ok... I was more curious than anything.

For that matter, are there any documented instances of dark elves in the other regions of Toril (hordelands/Anchorome/Zakhara/Kara-Tur or even any of the other really unknown regions such as Osse).

About Narathmault - I haven't found any clear evidence that anybody have known about this outpost and that it was defeated. Since it was a elven fortress in the heart of their forest it seems strange that it should be left by them if it was already underground for the purpose of Descent. I believe that it was not deep enough and that was a reason for abandoning it. Those drow then settled in two main areas: city of V'eldrinsshar (Qeen's Shadow) under Vaasa and under Thay.

Remaining dark elves from Myeritar should be all sharn and the rest of the Faerun seems to be settled later from South.
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  17:39:27  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Where was this mentioned?

Land of Fate boxed set - "Adventurer's Guide to Zakhara" pg. 55 under Forgotten Gods:

Lotha, a human-headed spider venerated by evil elves who were burned alive for their sins.

Also, Ajayib, City of Wonders contains another city built into the walls of cliffs looted and ruined generations ago. However, legends say there are original survivors of this dark race who dream of revenge in the caves.
This is in pg. 86

While in the book "Fortunes and Fates" on pg. 33 mentions that there are communities of drow and duergar. The drow worship Lolath and the duergar worship the elemental god Grome.
Of course this is up to the DM to determine whether this legend is true.

Edited by - Green Giant on 01 Jul 2016 17:41:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000