Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Oghrann
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2016 :  21:22:41  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone,

I am confuse on Oghrann history.

" -3770 DR
The dwarf realm of Oghrann falls. Beset on all sides by enemies - lizardfolk, nomadic human tribes, wemics, and the usual bugbears, trolls, and goblinkin races - the realm was swept away by disease and war even before the dwarves' more northerly kingdom fell. »"

"Ammarindar fell when Ascalhorn became
Hellgate Keep, and evil creatures
overran the surface lands and the underways
all down the valley of the Delimbiyr.
Most of its folk escaped to Oghrann, only
to be scattered when that realm fell soon
after"

And as we know Ammarindar fell after Ascalhorn (882DR).

Or may be they do a difference between the east part of Oghrann (Marshes of Tun) and the west part (Far Hills).

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  09:28:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would appear to be an 'error' in Cormanthyr (which provided hard dates for the dwarven kingdoms). I love Steven Schend to death but his 882 DR dating for the fall of Ascalhorn has caused no end of problems over the years. Dwarves remained in the environs of Oghrann even though it ceased to exist as an actual kingdom in the region. It is likely that dwarves from Ammarindar joined their kin in the Far Hills which is the only way to explain away this reference.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  14:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As dwarfs from Oghrann later (-145DR) settled Tethyamar it would support your theory.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  20:29:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it have been simpler all around to say it was a 'typo' and it was supposed to be -882 DR?

Too late now, but when it first became a problem...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  19:14:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, too much has been built around that 882 DR date now, and in doing so, the powers that be would have been deaf to any entreaties to change/ignore the North boxed set dating for lore-meshing/continuity reasons. There are a ton of lore gaffes in the published Realms, even by the most well regarded designers and amateurs. I found another one just last year but it's so obscure that no one would be too fussed. You gotta just roll with the punches.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  19:41:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please point them all out (especially the new one). I'd be intrigued to see how different the realms would be if the obvious date mistakes had been fixed (-2550 DR) plus I wouldn't mind seeing if I had spotted them myself

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  21:01:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the fun in that! It's good future thread fodder.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000