Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Set in the Forgotten Realms [HeroQuest]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  10:02:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Howdy!

Now this isn't a "true" RPG per-se but HeroQuest (for those who don't know) is a lite and enjoyable fantasy boardgame with VERY strong roots based on your standard RPG. It has classes, magical items, quests, monsters, a DM, combat, and dice. It does lack genuine role-play as its more tailored to a boardgame than an open-ended RPG but most of the components are there.

With that said, I was wondering if anyone has ever played the game and used the outside setting as the Forgotten Realms? I was able to procure a used copy of the game (at a mere $85!) and it's currently being the game of choice these past 2 weeks. The game has a setting of sorts buts it's just a mere backdrop to give references for the game and has zero relevance to the game-play. So by adding more setting intensive things it might create more depth than just a boardgame.

And if all else fails cosnider this tread a sort of all-purpose location to talk about HeroQuest and the fun times it can foster!!

-Happy gaming

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  02:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Diffan,
I have played HeroQuest, and it really works as a dungeon crawl. I may recommend, if you're going to go that route, is to use the physical and mental skills to try for interactions.

I have run the beginning of the dungeon a couple of times for my kids, they seem to enjoy it. It's a great stepping stone into RPG's.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  10:16:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. We've played a few times, on and off, and so far they're through the 4th adventure. I've allowed advanced characters at the expense of gold and items and that has seemed to work pretty well. We currently have a Cleric, Paladin, Assassin, and Barbarian. Not much magic but healing everywhere. The Elf is a lot of fun too.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  19:48:08  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that may interest you is a custom HeroQuest game, with the option of making your own adveturess/campaigns:
http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/hquest.htm

And another free HeroQuest game, with better(Baldur's Gate level) graphics, but without the option of making custom maps/adventures:
http://members.westnet.com.au/brick27/compgame.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000