Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Grandfather Tree & High Forest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  08:47:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont really have much use for any lore after 3rd edition. Im sure im not the only one either.

For me the grandfather tree is an arakhora, set down to guard the evils of vyshaantar. That is until i come up with something myself that i like better, but i cant see that ever happening. The arakhora is an inspired idea that perfectly explains what the grandfather tree is and which fits in perfectly with the character and history of the region.

WoTC can keep their cult of kewl. I prefer my realms to have a bit more depth.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  13:30:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that's why my Realms goes to 1385 DR. I flick through every new product and am uninspired. I find better inspiration in my own noggin'.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  14:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And that's why my Realms goes to 1385 DR. I flick through every new product and am uninspired. I find better inspiration in my own noggin'.

-- George Krashos

Pretty much agreed, George. I'm taking that notion floating around here of our own Realms and our own canon to heart; I'm using some post 3e-stuff these days, but not much. My last straw for taking the 5e Realms "straight" was marrying Araumycos off to Zuggtmoy. Ugh.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  15:26:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

There are nuggets here and there, but I otherwise agree. 3E is the cutoff point for me -- there was some good stuff in 3E, but there was also stuff I didn't like.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  15:39:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still wish George and Eric and Ed and Steven and the other greats would give us their realms.

I know its not going to happen because itd cost a fortune to get off the ground and might never work.

But first we need to let wizbro let the realms die so it can be reborn. That is before they kill it and disintegrate the remains and then cast wish so it can never be reincarnated.

Im going to work on my own rules and my own version of the realms in the hopes that one day wizbro screw up and forget to hire Ed to make that novel a year.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  01:12:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lumenbeing
Turns out it "isn't self-aware." Doesn't that go against the established lore that Grandfather Tree is an Arakhora?

When an Arakhora turns dormant is it permanent? I think it means it turns into a kind of tree, who isn't self-aware, no? Maybe it can wake up later, but it is not aware in its dormant state.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Aug 2016 12:55:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  18:10:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well id keep the arakhora dormant until it is threatened or awoken by one that knows how.

Given that an abyssal portal in its bowels did not awaken it id guess that very little can threaten this creature. Perhaps the forces of hellgate keep in its heydey could have done so. Perhaps the fall of sharrven did awaken it.

As for who could purposefully awaken it now. Id go for the treant in the highforest whose name i have foolishly forgotten. Consider it an ace up his sleeve when humanoids and demons think they can tame or defile the forest.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 29 Aug 2016 18:11:36
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  18:34:44  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turlang the Thoughtful

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  01:25:29  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can this "High Forest" product be released on DM's Guild? My lord I would give just about anything to see what's in it, I'd pay any price asked.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  03:54:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it will ever see the light of day now. Although you never know. It was not totally finished (the last version I saw at least) and was in 3.5E so would need a lot more work to be DMs Guild publishable. I wouldn't hold out any great hope.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  08:22:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 edition is still by far the best for me. I just cant get into this 5e game. I think i might just stick to my own version of the 3.5 rules and ignore the dms guild altoghether (the number of downloads just arent that big).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  07:34:13  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I doubt it will ever see the light of day now. Although you never know. It was not totally finished (the last version I saw at least) and was in 3.5E so would need a lot more work to be DMs Guild publishable. I wouldn't hold out any great hope.

-- George Krashos

What a freaking shame. I swear I recall Eric say he planned on sharing it here. Honestly, if he were to put it on the Guild, I think it would do better as 3.5. If the door for the product over at wotsee is closed, why not share it? I would never begrudge a man trying to make a buck off of his labors, but whats the harm?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 31 Aug 2016 07:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  15:45:53  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I agree with Fellfire. There is nothing to lose by putting it on the DM Guild for a reasonable price. I'll just come right out and say that I'd pay upwards of $50 even if it's not the same production quality or size as a hardback sourcebook.

I just love his work and I would pay alot for the content alone, even if it's all walls of text.

I think you grognards are sitting on a virtual goldmine of FR lore. Even though it's 3.5e there is a huge following here that would pay dearly to read what you've all created!

3.5e can be put on the guild. There is no mandate that it be 4th or 5th edition merely because of the setting. From what I'm seeing on the Guild overall there is a still a very strong preference for the 3.5e materials.

Edited by - Cards77 on 31 Aug 2016 15:49:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  19:08:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

What a freaking shame. I swear I recall Eric say he planned on sharing it here. Honestly, if he were to put it on the Guild, I think it would do better as 3.5. If the door for the product over at wotsee is closed, why not share it? I would never begrudge a man trying to make a buck off of his labors, but whats the harm?
I did work on both of his fan-products. Some of the first one - the Daggerford one - made it into a 4e product some time after he showed it around at Gencon 2012. Whether he was ever compensated for that I do not know (I KNOW the map was completely based off the one I did). THAT was that 'product' that he was planning on sharing, in one form or another. I believe it was right around that time when EG started to go his own route with his website, and there were some tentative plans to do some stuff over there (I believe Krash had a couple of articles there). That morphed into The Ed Greenwood Group, which was supposed to have a section for that sort of thing (non-cannon FR lore produced outside of WotC). The section was there for a time, with Krash's articles, and then the site was upgraded, and that stuff wasn't there anymore. It has been upgraded several more times since then, but since I've been banned from that site I couldn't tell you if that material is back. For whatever reason, AFAIK, Eric's amazing Daggerford material never made it onto that page.

The High Forest was ANOTHER product, significantly more ambitious (if that can even be imagined, if you've ever had the opportunity to see the Daggerford one), and that tied together a LOT of loose-ends, with input from such other luminaries as EG and Steven Schend (he fielded a couple of questions we had for him about the High Moor - YES, it get THAT broad). And, of course, with lots of help from George Krashos (who all the 'greats' go to for his timeline of the North). The last I seen of it, it was HUGE, and still a 'work in progress'. He and I mapped-out 12 additional projects moving forward, encompassing the entirety of the Western Realms, right up to the border of Amn. For whatever reason, we never got back to that.

From what I recall, there was never any plan to share that - it was a work of love, between 'old school' designers, to perfect the old Realms that they loved so dearly. He actually started it because his home campaign for his kids went from the Daggerford area into the High Forest, and thats what it seems to remain - his home campaign. I feel blessed to have been a part of all that.

Now, here's the problem, as I see it (thus, this is opinion). The released Daggerford product was a hack-job on the one Eric did, to shoe-horn it into the 4e realms, and it was missing about 90% of what made that labor-of-love so amazing (all the background/history). Imagine getting a Filet Mignon cooked by Gordon Ramsey, and someone throws it into a grinder, makes a hamburger out of it, and smothers it in ketchup. That would be a crime, would it not? Yeah... kinda like that.

Thus, AFAIK, unlike the Daggerford product, the High Forest was never communally shared (beyond the very few people who helped with it). I don't know this for a fact, but my best guess is that he just doesn't want any more of his masterpieces turned into fast-food hamburger.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Sep 2016 21:05:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  00:59:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77
I think you grognards are sitting on a virtual goldmine of FR lore. Even though it's 3.5e there is a huge following here that would pay dearly to read what you've all created!

For every "finished" piece of work on my HD, there are 5 or 6 unfinished pieces of work. In between juggling work and a family, the Realms gets the lion's share of my spare time, but Ed I am not. If I have something that I think can be shared, I share it. But in all seriousness, you have to understand that you are sharing stuff with a community of interested individuals that is far smaller than you think. It's not like you are feverishly working on the next Game of Thrones installment. Sometimes real life intervenes and things go on the back burner. Sometimes for a long, long time. That's what has happened here. None of us do this to make money and let me tell you as a resident of Adelaide, Australia, there is no fame involved in being a grognard/lorelord of the Realms! So we do what we can, how we can, when we can. The Realms has room for everyone. Create and build your own goldmine.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  20:14:53  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

For every "finished" piece of work on my HD, there are 5 or 6 unfinished pieces of work. In between juggling work and a family, the Realms gets the lion's share of my spare time, but Ed I am not. If I have something that I think can be shared, I share it. But in all seriousness, you have to understand that you are sharing stuff with a community of interested individuals that is far smaller than you think. It's not like you are feverishly working on the next Game of Thrones installment. Sometimes real life intervenes and things go on the back burner. Sometimes for a long, long time. That's what has happened here. None of us do this to make money and let me tell you as a resident of Adelaide, Australia, there is no fame involved in being a grognard/lorelord of the Realms! So we do what we can, how we can, when we can. The Realms has room for everyone. Create and build your own goldmine.

-- George Krashos

I try. I'm just not as good as you guys. It's also duplication of effort. I'll never have the mind or imaginations that you guys do. So I do what I can and rely on you grognards for the rest!

I create in the hopes that someone else can enjoy what I've made. Not just to keep it for myself.

Edited by - Cards77 on 01 Sep 2016 20:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  20:43:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well reading between the lines it seems that Eric's work may see the light of day. But not now because its not finished and Eric is busy with other things that life throw his way.

I'm happy to wait and I wish Eric well in the hopes that one day the work sees the light of day.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be a blast to see a almost-official take on High Forest "the old way". If Eric could finish it some day it would be a very bright day indeed.

For GF Tree I woud say he is either sleeping or doing some other activity that needs his focus. That is why he do not respond to his surroundings (and few holes in it's body).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000