Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Who is using PCGen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Murmur Maelstrom
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  02:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Murmur Maelstrom's Homepage Send Murmur Maelstrom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
This is a poll asking how many of you are using PCGen as a computer aid for your Forgotten Realms campaigns>

Choices:

Yes
No

(Anonymous Vote)

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  02:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted no. I used to use it, but I quit for multiple reasons. It's not a bad program, but at the time I was using it, (version 3.something) it had many glitches. Skills wouldn't always calculate correctly, attack bonuses would be messed up, etc.
It also took up a ton of memory and slowed down my computer.
It was just easier for me to use other methods.
Now, I'm running 5e, and I really don't need a computer to keep up with everything.
All that said, my father in law uses the latest version for his pathfinder game. He says most of the glitches have been ironed out, but that it still hogs your CPU or memory.
I still just prefer pencil & paper. Technology hates me, so I'd rather just stay in the stone age.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  22:56:01  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used it...I use Redblade 3.5e for my 3.5 characters, for all editions (which I include Pathfinder RPG) I use either spreadsheets or a auto-fill .pdf that do the calculations for me (as my math sucks most days and I can't even figure out all the numbers for bonuses and the like.)

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  23:11:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did use in in the past to see what it could do, however as already noted by another the processor demand was high.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  18:43:56  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No...
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  14:05:58  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave it a try, but having to scroll through all the books and reload them was too much of a pain.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  14:20:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when I ran my 3.5 game, I used etools, paying for all the add-ons from codemonkey, and I was very glad of it. I know they eventually took on pcgen, but by that time, I was hooked on etools (and personally, I found their interface better anyway).

However, everybody that I know of has either switched to pathfinder or 5e. I have used herolab for pathfinder, but I will say I'm not happy with it.... I've seen some very basic screw-ups with AC calculations and such where they didn't take into account max dex and such. I've only been playing 5e the past 2 years.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  05:18:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Notebook....

Literally its a notebook and a pencil for my 3.5, 4e, and 5e characters :-)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  18:33:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I use Notebook....

God help me, during 3.5.... no way in hell would I have wanted to do that given the builds I used to do..... 5e sure. But with a bunch of different bonus types, synergies, prestige classes and feat prerequisites, etc.... OMG I would have gone nuts. I'll give 3.5 one thing, it was thorough, and well thought through, BUT it did have too broad of a spectrum with its numbers such that the difference between a low level and a high level character became mathematically impossible AND it was so cumbersome that it became something that to me required a program to track all the requirements.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  19:18:56  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was like Diffan. I use paper most of the time when I'm GMing. I'm tracking stuff with Excel but not doing a very good job of it really. But for the few times I wasn't GMing if I'm not using paper my buddy gave me his extra licence to Herolab when we were playing 3.5. I still prefer paper.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  23:38:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I use Notebook....

God help me, during 3.5.... no way in hell would I have wanted to do that given the builds I used to do..... 5e sure. But with a bunch of different bonus types, synergies, prestige classes and feat prerequisites, etc.... OMG I would have gone nuts. I'll give 3.5 one thing, it was thorough, and well thought through, BUT it did have too broad of a spectrum with its numbers such that the difference between a low level and a high level character became mathematically impossible AND it was so cumbersome that it became something that to me required a program to track all the requirements.

Eh, it's not too bad. I just statted up an NPC from Unapproachable East with a CR 21. Its an Annis hag Sorcerer/Durthan. Hardest part is the skill ranks and figuring out feat placement based on BAB and prerequisites.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2017 :  15:12:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I use Notebook....

Eh, it's not too bad. I just statted up an NPC from Unapproachable East with a CR 21. Its an Annis hag Sorcerer/Durthan. Hardest part is the skill ranks and figuring out feat placement based on BAB and prerequisites.

Ok, NO FAIR, you spoke the magic words...Hag and Durthan... you are now required to post her history and story so that I can see what you're doing with her. I think its a bylaw around here.... yeah... I think Wooly will back me up on that (pssstttt, Wooly, just say yeah).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2017 :  15:30:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do have that NPC thread that could be utilized for sharing this particular NPC...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2017 :  18:53:10  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes when i need it

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  01:37:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We do have that NPC thread that could be utilized for sharing this particular NPC...

Thats where I posted her stats. Her backstory is better detailed in the Unapproachable East supplement. I just provided stats for her.
Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2017 :  06:14:57  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of using it for my 5th edition campaign, but I'm pretty satisfied with MPMB's automated character sheet from DM's Guild.

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  02:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had used PCGen a long while back I think it used to have an export to OpenRPG option which I liked. In the end I switched over to using an Excel sheet called HeroForge. It has to be the best 3.5 character stat sheet around, it has its problems and is missing a couple of books. But overall it is very complete, does 98% of calculations for you and best of all it is Excel you can customize it. I don't see the original sheet online anymore but I see HeroForge Anew which was a branch of it.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Also Wooly is this thread for any builds or is it for known/named realms figures?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 28 Sep 2017 03:14:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000