Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Repurposing 2nd edition metamagics to 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  23:39:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In another topic, I discussed the idea of possibly opening up certain 2nd edition spells to individuals who possess certain specific feats. Much like certain spell lists might only be available to a certain class or a certain prestige class, perhaps these spells would only be available to someone who possesses certain depths of knowledge in certain metamagics. This seems much more plausible to me than "this spell is only for the Simbul", as I can easily see other mages copying the Simbul's magic if it were just like any other spell (and it should be noted, that the spells I list below are all ones that are noted as being known outside of the Seven Sisters). If you put in a mechanic to drive why they can't learn it, then it makes those NPC's spellcasting much more defined. I'm thinking a good start to this would be to detail what those spells are from 2nd edition. I'd also say that this same system could be used for some other spells that maybe haven't even seen development as yet.

So, with that in mind, I'm requesting people to throw out ideas of spells that were broken in 2nd edition that could be rebuilt in 3.5 rules, but only available for people who have studied certain feats.

sash of spells (original source VGtatM)
prerequisites: spell mantle feat
(optional ideas: lesser version of the spell for around 6th lvl)

imbue undead with spell ability (original source FR Adventures)
prerequisites: destruction retribution (from Libris Mortis) AND one or more of the following: Attune Gem, Craft Contingent Spell
(optional ideas: have 3 versions of the spell, one at 4th lvl for imbuing 2nd lvl spells and under, one at 6th lvl for 5th lvl spells and under, and one at 9th lvl for 7th lvl spells and under)

Rainbow shield (original source Seven Sisters)
prerequisites: retributive spell (from Comp. Mage) AND Persistent Spell (from PGtF)
(optional ideas: First, there needs to be some text that the spell cannot be a spell that provides healing, is a non-instantaneous effect, or that is not intended to harm living beings. Secondly, there could be the 4th lvl version for spells of 3rd lvl and under and an 8th lvl version that stores say 5th lvl spells and under)

Algarth's Embattlement & Presper's Double Wizardry (original source Seven Sisters)
prerequisites: Spell Mantle and Quicken Spell
(options: make it so that the character can only have one of these effects on at a time. Also, any spells placed into an embattlement or a double wizardry should count against the maximum number of contingent spells that a spell mantle wielder can have. Also, reduce Double Wizardry to 7th lvl and only able to store 6th lvl spells and less. The damage the caster "contains" to himself should simply equal the spell level of the stored spells)

Laeral's Disrobement (original source Seven Sisters)
prerequisites: attune gem
(optional ideas: have different versions of the spell, the higher level able to store higher level spells, but also , the lower level spells being limited to WHAT can be enspelled. At lower levels, specifically just cloth. Later, cloth, jewelry, and/or weapon sheathes)

Sphere of Wonder (original source Seven Sisters)
prerequisites: (Sculpt Spell or Archmage's Class ability: Mastery of Shaping) and Spell Focus (abjuration)
(optional ideas: this spell as written is exceptionally powerful. However, the general idea would play well. There could be a version of a this spell that prevents only a single energy type to act within an area (example, negative, positive, force, fire, lightning, frost, electrical, sonic). Another variation might only allow spells of a specific school to work in an area (a good defensive affect might be to allow only divinations).)

ringweave (original source Seven Sisters)
prerequisites: forge ring, magical artisan (forge ring)
(optional ideas: there should be different levels of this spell. These different levels would allow for rings of different values. No spell should allow you to recreate the power of a ring of wishes though. Thinking a 6th lvl version that allows for rings of 15k gold or less and lasts 2 days/lvl, an 8th lvl version that allows for rings of 45k gold or less and lasts 1 day/lvl, and a 9th lvl version that goes up to 90k gold and lasts just a single day)

Are there any other spells that people would recommend of this sort to be recreated? Would you like to see this concept further developed?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  00:14:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another one that springs to mind as I relook through Seven Sisters:

Spell Mirror
prerequisites: attune gem & craft contingent spell
(optional ideas: in order to prevent the using of several very small mirrors all with defensive spells in them to get multiple wards up at once, the level of the spell contained should determine the size of the mirror (perhaps level of the spell cubed... thus a 1 inch by 1 inch mirror for a 1st lvl spell, a 2 inch by 4 inch mirror for a 2nd lvl spell, 27 inch by 27 inch mirror for a 9th lvl spell. Just to note, this would allow a caster to have a special closet with multiple mirrors in place that they could retreat to in desperation and come out with all kinds of defenses in play, and they could even transport such a thing in a portable hole or some other similar means where they access an extradimensional space and then return whence they came. As a result, perhaps some limits on number of spells stored should be placed. Maybe a lesser version that stores spells of 3rd level or less until released, and a greater version that the caster cannot replace the spell in memory until its released from the mirror.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  15:06:29  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread interests me, Sleyvas. I need to go research my books to get some more game-mechanic ideas for these spell transitions. 3.5 already has precedent for your excellent idea in a few of the FR sourcebooks (such as having access to certain deity-specific spells via a worshipper-specific feat).

Edited by - Snow on 24 Mar 2015 15:06:49
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  18:30:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

This thread interests me, Sleyvas. I need to go research my books to get some more game-mechanic ideas for these spell transitions. 3.5 already has precedent for your excellent idea in a few of the FR sourcebooks (such as having access to certain deity-specific spells via a worshipper-specific feat).

Exactly, same kind of mechanic. I've specialized in a certain way that makes my mind inclined to understand the mechanics of a certain spell that someone not so specialized simply won't understand. Gives a reason to develop certain feat paths beyond just the feat itself.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  18:36:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

Oh, and please list other ideas for spells. Since I see there's at least some interest, I may develop these spells for 3.5.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  03:17:07  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Phillip,

Sorry I haven't got back to you since my prior post - I'm overseas and will return to the US by the EOM. As a result, I'm away-from-books.

That said, I do love this idea for 3.5. From what I recall, Eric L. Boyd was heavily involved in these "Initiate of ...." feats (for clerics of specific deities). In fact, he may have some homebrew or cutting-room-floor Initiate Feats over in his Chamber of Sages forum. I also did a Candlekeep search of "initiate feat deity" and 3 pages of some interesting threads popped up that have some good chance of lore for you to glean.

One thing I recall as a rules quirk back in 3.5 ..... was if Archivists and Chameleons (the human-centric PrC from Races of Destiny) could acquire and cast Initiate spells.

Wish I could talk more. Ugh. Can't wait to get back home. :-/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000