Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Help me with this character concept
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  01:25:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I found some new pathfinder players in another department where I work. I'm still new to the pathfinder side v/s 3.5, so I'm looking for hooks that can fit in with this character concept.

So, the world they're running in is something of a homebrew, and I don't think its strongly fleshed out. However, the general idea is that its in our world but thousands of years in the future after our society collapsed somehow. So, my first question to him was "think Thundarr the Barbarian" and his response was "yeah, that's kind of apt". So, long story short, I'm making an eldritch knight, but with a twist of a story, and I'd like some input for how to bring out this character concept more.

The general idea is that the character (Beorn Thundarrson) is a child of a man named Thundarr who saved his mother about 20 years back. However, this Thundarr didn't stick around, so he was raised by his mother Frigh and his elder half-brother Loeckie. However, when he was in his early teens, his half-brother Loeckie betrayed the family somehow causing the death of Frigh and leaving Beorn behind to fend for himself. Years pass, in which Beorn discovers some ancient "lore" in the form of Marvel comics based on the superhero Thor. In these comics, Thor is often "reborn" into a mortal body and must prove himself to his father, Odin, in order to regain his powers and return to the other realm of Asgard. Beorn has become convinced that he is a re-mortalized version of Thor the Thunder god.

So far, I'm thinking of giving him a warhammer with some appropriate abilities, making him a paladin of the norse pantheon (admittedly the more noble comic book version), and then turning him wizard (probably invoker), then eldritch knight. I figured to give him an arcane bond to his weapon. I also saw some shield in the advanced class guide that will let me cast even with the shield on my offhand (clawhand shield or somesuch). I was thinking about giving him a dire goat to ride. Any other schticks that come to mind?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  04:33:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He always has a pair of Ravens following and watching him?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  17:41:25  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He has higher-than-normal strength so he can carry his warhammer and swing it with one hand?

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  12:42:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, you'll see in another thread where I was thinking about making "comic book Thor" into a spirit/vestige. If you were to give major (1) / minor (4) granted abilities to Thor as a 3rd lvl spirit (following the rules from pact magic unbound for pathfinder or the layout that the same group used in secrets of pact magic)..... what would those abilities be? Also, his signs and manifestion, vestigial companion (was thinking a dire goat, but also thinking maybe one of the warriors three appears, or some superhero that worked with Thor), and summoning ceremony.

So far, my thoughts are
gaining the ability to hurl a warhammer of any size, and any such hurled weapon gains the returning and thundering properties when hurled

an ability to hurl lightning bolts through a warhammer

any weapon held gains a variation of the transformative property, able to change into warhammer of comparable size OR its original shape

Thinking some cold/snow oriented abilities too. Also thinking stealing some concepts from other spirits like temporary strength bonuses, etc... Possibly gaining fly

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  12:30:41  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Any other schticks that come to mind?

Not so much regarding the character build, but a world based on our own is ripe with opportunities for background fluff.

- Your long term goal could be to find the legendary lost golden city of Las Vegas.

- You could claim to be a direct descendant of the mythical hero only known as "The Almighty Dollar".

- You could found a Paladin Order based on ancient ideals of nobility and honor called the "Oak Valley Country Club".

I'm sure there are plenty more.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  16:34:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been through a couple sessions so far. I've been talking with the DM about where I'd like to take it. Basically, I'm looking at how the pathfinder rules versions of pact magic unbound works with multi-class occultists (or other people who have bind spirit as a class ability), and they continue to increase their binder level at 1/2 their class level in other classes (thus eliminating the need for a theurge class). This along with practiced binder makes it easy to take a level of occultist at 9th lvl and be able to bind 5th lvl spirits. So, essentially, I want the being known as Thor and the comic book history to have been real (though there may be inaccuracies as to what exactly happened). Then, I'm developing Thor the Thunder God as an actual spirit/vestige, and essentially you learn to channel Thor's spirit into yourself. Thus, by tattooing the binding seal on themselves and finding the minor artifact of Doctor Donald Blake's cane (or Beta Ray Bill's stormbreaker hammer, or Eric Masterson's mace, or the Designate's hammer) someone "who is worthy" can bind the spirit of Thor. Thus, when they perform the "ritual" to bind the spirit of Thor, they must take on the signs of Thor (i.e. they suddenly look like a past version of Thor). I'm currently trying to catch up on a lot of the more recent comic book history of him (yes, I know, a woman picks up the hammer) to see if there's any twists I should make. Eventually, my thoughts are at the epic levels the person could eventually more permanently bind themselves to the spirit and begin down a path of divinity, but I don't see us going that far.

Anyway, this all means I have to develop Thor as a spirit, and one of the things that pact magic unbound added as opposed to the 3.5 tome of magic is vestigial companions that may come if you choose to give up a granted ability. I thought it might be interesting to offer different companions if you give up different abilities. I was thinking, why not see what people might come up with. For instance, Durkon Thundershield from the order of the stick is a cleric of Thor...... so maybe you can summon him. Then there's Volstagg the Mighty, Hogun the Grim, and Fandral the Dashing from the warriors three.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000