Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Empire of Baldur's Gate?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  18:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading the campaign guide for the Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure and came across this snippet about the Trade Way.
"Nearest Baldur's Gate, the road is mostly gravel, but some crumbling, granite-paved segments remain from ancient attempts at empire building."

Made me wonder, when were these attempts made? Were they made by the City of Baldur's Gate as the text implies?

I searched GHotR for Baldur's Gate, and either missed it, or wasn't looking for the right thing.
I also checked Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast & my 2E boxed set. I read the Forgotten Realms Adventures entry on the Gate, same deal.
Any advice on where to look from here?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  19:05:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds more to me like a very generic statement regarding the Realms - someone, at some point in time, was trying to build an empire... EVERYWHERE.

Could have been any number of human civilizations (The Shoon Empire {Calimshan} was that far north), or even a short-lived kingdom (like that king who built the Tethir Road... which makes absolutely NO SENSE on the 3e maps). More likely it was the Elves or dwarves, or both together (like Illefarn). Or it could go back even further to the time of the Crown Wars.

If it did have to do with Baldur's Gate, I would assume it was from a time before the current city (I don't know much of its history, sadly - 'urban' stuff doesn't interest me as much).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2014 02:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  19:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It sounds more to me like a very generic statement regarding the Realms - someone, at some point in time, was trying to build an empire... EVRYWHERE.

Could have been any number of human civilizations (The Shoon Empire {Calimshan} was that far north), or even a short-lived kingdom (like that king who built the Tethir Road... which makes absolutely NO SENSE on the 3e maps). More likely it was the Elves or dwarves, or both together (like Illefarn). Or it could go back even further to the time of the Crown Wars.

If it did have to do with Baldur's Gate, I would assume it was from a time before the current city (I don't know much of its history, sadly - 'urban' stuff doesn't interest me as much).

That makes sense. Though it does make me curious as to who built the Trade Way. Did it come about as humans built cities and established trade, or was it something older? Various forest trails and deer runs tied together over time, and claimed by humans as the great forests receded?

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  11:47:55  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AHA! I knew I'd seen something related to this, I just couldn't remember where.

Cloak and Dagger p68 mentions that the trade routes linking Amn and Tethyr with Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep were built circa 1182 DR and that the Knights of the Shield are believed to have had a hand in their construction.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  12:18:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done a fair bit of research in the past on the western heartlands and following the fall of Netheril (-339 DR) there is a period of significant tumult in the western heartlands as various petty kingdoms rise and fall and try and conquer each other to build empires spanning the region.

This period ends in 376 DR and is one of the primary reasons i believe why people in the Western Heartlands are so resistant to being ruled by a lord from afar (i.e a king in his capital). There was just so much warfare and destruction that the people grew sick of it all. The final act came with the end of the war between Cormyr and Valashar/Shoon

So we have in the Western Heartlands during this time, the Emirate of Torsil, the Empire of Ebenfar, the kingdom of Najara, the Barony of Steeping Falls, Athalantar, the kingdom of Shavinar, Tavaray, the Duchy of Indoria, then finally Cormyr and Shoon.

The big attempt at empire building came between Ebenfar and Najara, and later Cormyr and Shoon.

The reference in murder in baldur's gate could be to either attempt at empire building although i theorised that Balduran himself attempted to purchase a kingdom from the four duchies between the winding water and the river chionthar (hence the four dukes as a title).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  15:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome news! Thanks for that bit of lore, that's exactly what I was looking for.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  15:57:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was actually a helluva lot more then that Dazzlerdal. Thats just 'a good week' in The North.
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Cloak and Dagger p68 mentions that the trade routes linking Amn and Tethyr with Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep were built circa 1182 DR and that the Knights of the Shield are believed to have had a hand in their construction.

I would say (if it was my call) that the Knights of the shield (and others?) may have made extensive repairs on ancient roads that were already there. They were probably really bad for quite some time - perhaps even buried (or torn up?) in a lot of places. I would say the very first roads (in recorded history) were built by dwarves, since they seem to have built so many enormous bridges over all the rivers (because why build engineering marvels like them if you had no roads going to and from them? Hmmmmm?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2014 15:58:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  16:42:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An alternate possibility would be that someone else built the roads, but commissioned dwarves to build the bridges.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  18:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There was actually a helluva lot more then that Dazzlerdal. Thats just 'a good week' in The North.
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I would say (if it was my call) that the Knights of the shield (and others?) may have made extensive repairs on ancient roads that were already there. They were probably really bad for quite some time - perhaps even buried (or torn up?) in a lot of places. I would say the very first roads (in recorded history) were built by dwarves, since they seem to have built so many enormous bridges over all the rivers (because why build engineering marvels like them if you had no roads going to and from them? Hmmmmm?)

Hmm. Looking up the exact quote from Cloak & Dagger, it says the Knights of the Shield were "believed to have had a hand... in the creation of trade roads linking Amn and Tethyr to Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep (circa 1182 DR)."

So, if the Knights did have a hand in building the Trade Way, it's only necessary that they were responsible for making the road fit for Trade caravan travel. It could have been a footpath, fit for a person on foot, but not well kept enough for wagons and the like.

I like a blending of ideas. The Knights may have had a hand in it, but they hired out Dwarven craftsmen? Or did the Dwarves of yore build a road that fell into disuse before human kingdoms sprang up in the area, leaving the bridges as mere whispers of what once was?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  13:26:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further south, yes. I would agree that they probably built/improved the roads down in the Lands of intrigue (except for the Tethir road, built by king Dalagar 'Longwalker' of Andlath, completed around 240 DR).

The Boareskyr Bridge is the furthest south of the 'big bridges' that the Dwarves built, so anything north of the River Chionthar I would give them some credit for. There might have been older roads built during the Crown Wars, but I doubt very many (if any). Elves tend to travel cross-country (they don't like to 'despoil' stuff), and they have portal networks when they need to travel between realms.

And, of course, there may have been truly ancient (primordial) roads built by the Creator races, but I doubt even magically-augmented ones would have survived this long.

And if we want to throw in the ToT and the Spellplague (and any past 'magical weirdness'), roads may have even been built on other worlds and 'imported'. {UGH}

In the 'Candlekeep Magic Shop' thread I wrote up 'Return Portals', which seem to have been an actual thing used by several races. Basically, its a portal you don't even know is there, so people could be traveling to-and-from a place all the time, and not even realize its far away, or even on another world (I used this explanation in Elves of Faerūn for Erelhei-Cinlu - a drow city located on Oerth, but settled originally by Lloth extremists thousands of years ago). Its why we have several 'split cities' in The Realms, amongst other anomalies.

And BTW, they are a GREAT way to explain a LOT of lore discrepancies (like the precise location of Gauntlgrym).

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Nov 2014 13:30:15
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  14:03:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An even better way to explain discrepancies is to ignore 4e, its timeline, and the spellplague altogether (sorry its the old grognard in me fighting his way out again)

I'm with Markustay, the dwarf made roads in the Western Heartlands I would imagine are north of the Winding River or River Chionthar and around the Badlands area. We've got Ammarindar, Oghrann, and dwarven duchies from Illefarn, Delimbiyran etc as well as dwarven holds in the High Moor. I havent found any ancient dwarf holds in the Greenfields yet.

There is some evidence that in ages prior following the destruction of Keltormir as a forest, that the lands north of Amn were occupied by giants for some time before many of their number fell to Shanatar (depending upon how you read the history either the half the entire giant kingdom fell, or only half of the giants south of the cloudpeaks).

After that the history is relatively undocumented in the area but pockets of giants persisted in the Sunset Mountain region and the Talfir humans seem to have had a growing presence in the Western Heartlands for a while until Netheril ended and refugees swamped the region ushering a new age of human dominance in the region and probably resulted in the empire building mentioned at the start.

There are going to be plenty of trails abandoned rediscovered rebuilt etc. Netheril, Shoon, Amn, Illefarn, Athalantar, Tethyr Delimbiyran, Cormyr, Waterdeep. Over the ages all those major nations and settlements are going to be trading with each other and at least a portion of it is going to be overland and passing through the Western Heartlands region.

I dont think the giants will have bothered with roads (they can just walk over any obstacles). The elves dont seem the kind to have built roads through their forests (they probably just used well worn trails). The first roads were probably built by humans, possibly around the time of Netheril, and they might have been little more than trails (only the less affluent would use something as mediocre as a road).

The Empire of Ebenfar might have tried road building, if only to move its armies more quickly (their positioning might not have been brilliant as a result). But real well made and maintained trade roads probably didnt exist until after the years of conflict so i'm thinking from 376 DR onwards.

But thats just my two cents

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  22:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

An even better way to explain discrepancies is to ignore 4e, its timeline, and the spellplague altogether (sorry its the old grognard in me fighting his way out again)

I'm with Markustay, the dwarf made roads in the Western Heartlands I would imagine are north of the Winding River or River Chionthar and around the Badlands area. We've got Ammarindar, Oghrann, and dwarven duchies from Illefarn, Delimbiyran etc as well as dwarven holds in the High Moor. I havent found any ancient dwarf holds in the Greenfields yet.

There is some evidence that in ages prior following the destruction of Keltormir as a forest, that the lands north of Amn were occupied by giants for some time before many of their number fell to Shanatar (depending upon how you read the history either the half the entire giant kingdom fell, or only half of the giants south of the cloudpeaks).

After that the history is relatively undocumented in the area but pockets of giants persisted in the Sunset Mountain region and the Talfir humans seem to have had a growing presence in the Western Heartlands for a while until Netheril ended and refugees swamped the region ushering a new age of human dominance in the region and probably resulted in the empire building mentioned at the start.

There are going to be plenty of trails abandoned rediscovered rebuilt etc. Netheril, Shoon, Amn, Illefarn, Athalantar, Tethyr Delimbiyran, Cormyr, Waterdeep. Over the ages all those major nations and settlements are going to be trading with each other and at least a portion of it is going to be overland and passing through the Western Heartlands region.

I dont think the giants will have bothered with roads (they can just walk over any obstacles). The elves dont seem the kind to have built roads through their forests (they probably just used well worn trails). The first roads were probably built by humans, possibly around the time of Netheril, and they might have been little more than trails (only the less affluent would use something as mediocre as a road).

The Empire of Ebenfar might have tried road building, if only to move its armies more quickly (their positioning might not have been brilliant as a result). But real well made and maintained trade roads probably didnt exist until after the years of conflict so i'm thinking from 376 DR onwards.

But thats just my two cents

Heh. We all have bits of lore we don't like, no worries.

Thanks both for helping refine my brainstorming. I do like Markustay's take on Return Portals. (linked here for reference.) I might have to steal that for this weekend's game. I was trying to figure out what to do with that cellar wall. :P

Thanks again for the help! I'm going back to encounter planning.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  23:20:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebenfar makes doing High Moor lore difficult - The High Moor itself is encircled by 'ruined keeps' on it southern flanks, built by some dwarf kingdom (they are mentioned in Dwarves Deep, and appear on the FRIA map).

So, if Ebenfar was in the High Moor, was it before or after the dwarves, who apparently also had something going on there (since their keeps surround the lower half of it)? Usually I would guess the dwarves came first, but the Talfir stuff goes back pretty damn far (but does Ebenfar? The people may have been indigenous, but their 'great kingdom' may have only come around the time of the fall of Netheril, when so many other 'little kingdoms' were springing-up all over the place). So I would place Ebenfar around the time of the Netherese survivor-states, but I have to check the novel (and certain timelines) to confirm that.

I also discovered something... interesting... while looking a the placement of those keeps... and Dragonspear. Now, that may not be what Ed intended in the DD product when he wrote them up, but whoever placed them left some interesting lore 'open for interpretation'. Hopefully more will be revealed soon.

As for Ebenfar, I think they built their capital on the moor, for security reasons (what sane army is going to march on the High moor?), but I would hazard to guess the larger portion of their domain was more around Sunset Vale (and Iriaebor, if you read Crypt of the shadowking). They also built their tombs in the Fields of the Dead (how appropriate). So the shadowking constructed his citadel/capital on the moor, which was itself on the northern edge of his kingdom. That would make the most sense, IMHO.

Of course, that also helps me tie the Talfir to Thaeravel... I always have an ulterior motive.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2014 23:24:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000