Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What was your longest D&D Quest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  03:24:27  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Share some details from that memorable time!

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  05:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About two years ago now (still feels like yesterday) I wrapped up a campaign that had lasted for 5 years real-world time. We went from level 1 all the way to epic levels. It was a blast. It was my first time DMing, and I made many mistakes along the way that I learned from and moved on. Some memorable stories from that campaign were as follows.

The party was travelling across a field when a blue dragon showed up. It was appropriate size to their level, but they were totally unprepared for it. As a DM, my plan was to scare them into thinking I was going to kill them and have the dragon fly off, leaving them thankful they were still alive.
Everyone in the party headed for what little cover they could find; a few conveniently located boulders, a solitary tree, etc.
Everyone except the Kender.
The Kender with a pistol.
He stood in the middle of the field and taunted the dragon, like the complete nutcase he was. The dragon decided to strafe him. As the dragon swooped low, the little madman runs, jumps, grabs the dragon's tail, and proceeds to crawl up the beast's back towards its head. Try as it might, the dragon can't shake the little flea off.
The Kender then climbs all the way up the length of the dragon as it soars back up into the sky and shoots the wyrm in the eye. He crits. At the time I was running with the "three Nat 20's in a row is insta kill" rule.

It happened.
The Kender was about 600 feet in the air when he ended the dragon's life, but he climbed into the beast's dead maw and rode the carcass to the ground like a carnival ride, managing to walk away with about one hit point left.
And thus did the Kender named Smiling Jack make his first grand impression on the world of Faerun.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  06:29:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

And thus did the Kender named Smiling Jack make his first grand impression on the world of Faerun.

OK that was pretty awesome.

I ran a campaign for some friends that lasted about eight and a half years, give or take.

There were lots of awesome moments, but what I remember most are the funny quotes from players, spoken in and out of character.

To wit:

"Fourtyballs have a fire foot radius."

"I run into the cave and start elfing the walls."

"Please don't kill the [other] Balor!"
--Spoken by one player in a whimpering voice to another player, after the party slew a Balor and got hit by its death throes ability.

"...well, it works on dwarf women."

"OK then, which part of your keep can you afford to lose?"

"You'll have to make this quick. I'm turning into a dragon in fifteen minutes."

"I know I know about this errata, but does my character know?"

And so on.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  11:13:24  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While you're at it companions, do share your favorite Dnd snack or meal. Pre made or cooked to perfection by one of the matrons

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  12:01:19  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two really long campaigns that are still ongoing at the time of writing. Both groups are less than half way though the plotlines I've had in mind. However, there is always an interesting dynamic in the group made up entirely out of pirates:

* Captain Dragomir: A half-vampire infected with a magical disease that causes megalomania. Every time he has a chance to cure himself of it (he can easily beat the DC), he elects to voluntarily fail the save.
* Rupert: A small-sized tiefling. Chaotic Evil but always ends up as the voice of reason. Has a personal butler and doesn't get on with...
* Kelbor: A very charismatic Blackguard who has been trying to create a lizard cult among the crew (essentially promoting the worship of Bokrug from the Cthulhu Mythos). Supported by the captain as he thinks a single religion would be good for the crew. ATTENDANCE TO MORNING PRAYERS IS MANDATORY.
* Eldea: an elven magic user so full of bluster, one might think she could take on the campaign by herself...except that she's never won a single fight without help.
* Josef: A typical dwarven berzerker, however, he's also the only member of the crew who is actually qualified to sail the ship.
* Yu: A human healer with a very confusing name. The only good-aligned officer on board ship. Player is new to the game and still quite quiet. The others leave him alone as long as he keeps healing their wounds.

A small selection of quotes:
"This is gonna sound crazy but we have a ballista..."
"He won't put up a fight...well, he might but it'll be fine."
"Hmm. Tetanus will stop him from talking if I can infect him with it....But peace!"
*after going out looking for diseases to harvest* "Are you looking forward to the feast?"
"That's discrimination against lizard-worshipers."
"Are you a poisoner?" "Not professionally but I've done a lot of poisoning." "Oh dear...but very good as well!"

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  13:32:02  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloody 9 Hells. Your quests are quite long and seemingly full of adventure.

I've only been at it 2 years now,and have faced a few orcs and a dragon.

(4TH EDITION)
However, The funniest thing i did on a quest was when we are actually getting the quest from a lord of a small village in a tavern. As the leader of our troop was getting the instructions I was outside. My alignment initially was neutral, but I decided to have a little fun. I set the chicken coop on fire. This in turn set the tavern on fire, i was an elf ranger. This gave the idea for my halfing companion to steal a decanter amidts the smoke and confusion.

The best part was when the town folk came rushing to the source of the fire, I was caught urinating on it as i had no water to put it out. after the fire was taken out, the towns folk regarded me suspiciously and the DM changed my alignment to chaotic good.

I SET chickens on fire so that people would find attempting TO TAKE out the fire so i would get on their good side. A diabolical plan haha!

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  15:15:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its strange but i tend not to have any funny moments on games that i run. I wonder does that mean the campaigns i run are boring?

At the moment the most memorable moment for me is a battle with a wandering cave troll which battered several party members unconscious. Unfortunately for the group, none of them thought to check what kind of monster they were facing and so none of them guessed the creature was a troll from its description (its a PBEM game so i quoted the description from the monster manual, with a little bit of elaboration added), ergo no one bothered to burn or dispose of the remains.

Several hours of rest later and the barbarian was clubbed unconscious in his sleep by a newly regenerated troll, followed by a few other party members.

It always makes me smile when the party forgets the little but incredibly important details, which then allows me to be incredibly mean shortly afterwards.

I do like being mean.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  15:46:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite campaign moments was when the two wizards polymorphed the entire party into fat little halflings for a raid on an evil temple the next town (Lachom, west of Nimpeth) over from their base. The wizards put two delayed blast fireballs through the temple doors followed by a pair of fireballs and the melee team mopped up what was left of the bad guys. We were laughing so hard as the group of fat little halflings blew out the windows on the building, wiped out the bad guys then ran outside and waved at a bunch of astonished and confused townsfolks before they teleported out.

Then there was that time we were camped out in a Daern's Instant Fortress and shooting wand and staff out the windows at the 40 some strong manscorpion raiding party that showed up while we were out hunting in the Anauroch.

Or one of the many times the gnome thief in our party got caught cheating at cards, which led to a tavern brawl, but in this instance it blew the cover of a Red Wizard who dumped a fireball and ended up burning the whole place down. Think that one got us kicked out of Cormyr if I remember right.

These all happened many years ago when I was a teenager when we all barely understood the rules of the game or what was in the Realms, but they're good memories. ;)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  17:27:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well being old and all and assuming you are only counting the campaign in the Forgotten realms, the current time for the ongoing campaign is 27 years this year, obviously if we count the pre Realms games that got moved to the Realms in 1987 we are talking 29 years.

Sure players have come and gone and characters have been retired with new PC's joining, but essentially it is still the same campaign for nearly the last 30 years

Too many good things to mention really however:
Blind wizard PC panicking and fireballing at random (needless to say the fighters were not amused)

lazy wizard not wanting to get wet uses up on dimension door spell to get across a small creek, sleeps in a tree that night which turns into a hangman tree and the wizard can't escape.....

The mystery of a important missing NPC from 1992, finally resolved by the party in 2014 and boy were they surprised at where he had been 'hiding'

The unveiling of the bard Greensleeves from way back at the dawn of the campaign in 84/85 into his proper form of a capricious copper dragon in 2012 was pretty spectacular (amazing what a somewhat ambiguous worded wish can conjure up!)

Having the harpers amongst the group going a longish 6 month side quest to rescue a prisoner, and finding it to be their mentor (played for 7 years real time) and having to kill him and burn his body as he had been taken over by dark magic infused into him by the Zhents really made for a sombre and sad game for them.

The players finally unmasking the nemesis of the campaign for 25 years, the God Loki who had plagued them all in various forms over the years, the excitement and self satisfaction the players felt was amazing. Unfortunately this was followed by the realisation that Loki was actually just a puppet for 'something' else, as yet still hidden, with only the obscure reference 'fifth season' as a clue. The high of a major victory was tempered by the knowledge that unravelling a major mystery of the ongoing campaign lead to yet another one (they are hoping it wont take another 25 years to unmask their real nemesis!)

plenty more fun stuff as well

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  20:11:10  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess is was something like 4 years... We had to retrieve a demon sword from a demon, funny enough, and that ended up possesing a whole lot of NPCs to the point where it became the main antagonist. I can say that more than once we thought we defeated it, but somehow it came back. I had the same effect as "the one ring" and had an ego score of 63, so people were just happy to do its bidding. The last thing we did was we had some dwarfs incase it in a stone table/alter... which at one point broke. We have not seen or heard from or about the sword since. It was aroun 4 years of real time and around 6-8 years ingame time. AFAIR...

The campaign have been running for 12 years now... same characters albeit only two remain. They were started at level 1 and are now 29 and 30.

A couble of quotes:

In front of a white dragon: "white dragons are good aligned... right?"

Trying to sneak past some guard in a library, when the mage first got invisibility:

Mage: "over here at the stairs... I'm sick help help."

Guards: "were comming... dont worry"

Mage: "FOOLS!" (Meant to say it off game, as I succeded in getting the guard away from the door they were guarding - into the restricted section)

Guards: "WHAT?"

Mage: "ehh I mean OOL... OOL I.. am... ill!"

After blowning up a portion if the Lady's academy in silverrymoon as the result of some botched experiment, and facing trial, the procecuter had been twisting everything the mage had to say as an excuse and finally he(I) got so angry:

Mage: "If you think any of your mortal rules apply to me, you are sorely mistaken"

It didnt end well!

When entering a sewer:

DM: "Its smells of horrid puttid gas"

Dwarf: "I light a torch..."

Party: "NOOOOO!"

Paladin on board a ship:

Pala: "Is there any kids I can take care of?" (said in a very wrong voice)

Pary was on a quest to save a mayors doughter, who was taken by some bllywooks. Party enters the lair and finds a whole bunch of them in one room. The mage, having just gotten fireball, and chose to apply it. After the smoke subsided the party found a little cage in the middle of the room with the charred body of a little human girl. Lets just say that it took some quick thinking to get the reward from the mayor.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 28 Jul 2014 20:45:18
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  02:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

While you're at it companions, do share your favorite Dnd snack or meal. Pre made or cooked to perfection by one of the matrons

My wife makes this dessert I call Breakaway Bread, others have called it monkey bread. Roll biscuit dough in cinnamon and brown sugar, add lots of butter and bake in a bunt pan. It tastes like a cinnamon roll.

As far as stories go, I should probably stop while I'm ahead, but I have to share this one.

Same campaign, the party found themselves in a cave. They'd tracked down a long-lost Halruaan Sky Ship, and were trying to salvage it from this cave for themselves. Nobody checked the cave for the invisible Gargantuan Blue Dragon (Blues were kinda a recurring villain in this game.)

The party did notice the Nyth the Dragon kept as guards. Nyth are nasty little things, kind of like Will-O-Wisps, but they are healed by electrical and fire damage. Even better, they make more Nyth if they take enough fire or electrical damage.
The Blue Dragon used this fact to its advantage.
The combat was long, and by the end everyone kinda resembled Merry and Pippin after they got into Gandalf's fireworks. They managed to trap some of the Nyth into a magical container they'd acquired, which came in handy as a sort of grenade later, but they were very, very tattered.
Much grumbling against me for that one. I get evil looks from any of the players that survived that encounter if I so much as describe a street lamp in a way that reminds them of a Nyth.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  04:40:57  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What music do you listen to while questing?

I like stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIXILXBgRbs

or perhaps skyrim ost

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  05:06:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say my longest D&D quest time was about five to six years... but it stretched to around eight years at the end -- but there was a substantial 15 month delay after the sixth year of campaigning.

It was set in and around Waterdeep, for the most part, but, thanks to some nefariously placed portals and gateways, encompassed Tarsis on Krynn, Sigil, the Nightmare Lands of Ravenloft, and several forgotten worlds of the Phlogiston in SPELLJAMMER. About a year a piece for each subsequent world/setting beyond the Realms was set aside for adventuring.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  22:37:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*... well, it works on dwarf women* ?
This little quip is too juicy to leave without any context, JG.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  20:12:09  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you or any of your companions ever became a lich or were creature

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  16:32:40  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had one player who tried to turn himself into a troll wererat lich in an epic-scale campaign I ran. He managed the troll wererat but was still a ways off from lich. I stole an idea from Baldur's Gate 2 and sent a bunch of exploding kobolds after him - he survived them but then ran right into the wizard who created them: One Acid Arrow and he was doomed.

I did also once have a vampire PC and a young red dragon PC. Both were tricky because they had to limit their outdoor activities to night time and the dragon spent most of his gold on Polymorph scrolls to make him appear human.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  16:49:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play spellcasters almost exclusively. Among them I've had 1 that researched becoming a lich starting about level 12. The DM strung out that research amid adventuring for over two real world years. Eventually I got it done and he NPCd me. Jerk-Face :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000