Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  04:33:39  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is it? I believe the last thing I read of his was Blades of the Moonsea trilogy. I loved the Last Mythal books, and BotM.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  06:31:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

What is it? I believe the last thing I read of his was Blades of the Moonsea trilogy. I loved the Last Mythal books, and BotM.

Prince of Ravens

It's an ebook.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  06:34:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow, haha, my bad. I read that one, but I totally spaced that it was by him ^^; the writing style seemed different too, but not in a bad way.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  17:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any word on Rich's return to Candlekeep yet? I know a few of you sent him messages.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2013 :  02:41:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

Any word on Rich's return to Candlekeep yet? I know a few of you sent him messages.

Nothing as of yet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  23:05:35  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received this response from Mr. Baker on his personal website, so I figured I'd share it with you all:

Hi Mr. Baker!

Is there any chance we'll get to see more of Araevin or Geran Hulmaster? They are probably my two favorite Forgotten Realms characters and I'd love to read more about them!

Richard Baker- August 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I have half an idea for a potential follow-up to Blades of the Moonsea. Geran ends the series in an interesting place, and I'd like to revisit the character sometime. But I have no immediate plans to knock out another Geran book (or Araevin book, for that matter) -- it's up to Wizards whether more books fit into their Realms plans. But thank you for the compliment! I'm pretty proud of both series.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  01:03:57  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

It's spelled cwm or cwmb, and pronounced KOOM. It's a high, relatively level area. You might also think of it as a pass, vale, or cirque. I've hiked around Mount Rainier a fair amount since moving out to Washington a few years back, so I was thinking of places like Spray Park or Seattle Park or Burroughs Mountain when I was envisioning the battle at Evereska's western gate.

Is this serious? These areas were already defined in "Return of the Archwizards" and the events in Evereska were they not?

I mean you're one of my favorite authors, hands down, and I thought the book was excellent, but this has to be one of the worst word choices ever. I'm not sure why you would choose a word that essentially know one knows what it means, and assumes it's a horrible typo error.

It really breaks up the book, it's distracting and takes away from the great writing. It was sad to see.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  02:11:20  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pointed this out on the Realms-L mailing list some years back. I was embarassed to learn it was a word and not a typo. I do not fault Rich for using it, but myself for not doing my homework before airing a complaint.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  03:29:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to look that word up, too, when I first saw it in the book.

It's not the first time I've disagreed with a particular word choice, in a Realms novel... It's obviously a valid word, but it's not one I'd ever seen, anywhere else, before or after. It is my opinion that a less obscure word should have been used.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  05:30:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having as many Welsh ancestors (Edwards and Price mostly) as Irish, the word was known to me. I don't think another word should have been used at all...expanding the knowledge of people is what authors are all about if you ask me.

Should we refer to tacos by a better word? How about we call them folded flatbread and meat?

English by its very nature and origins sprang from a multitude of languages...and Welsh was one of the very first to contribute to many "English" words. I think its fair to say that using the word Cwm was a good idea...anyone that looked it up is unlikely to forget what it means now eh?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  05:38:10  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda wish Realms novels used more obscure words, and more sophisticated characters/plots. It was too easy to stop reading Realms novels entirely for a while when one took a direction I didn't like, for the simple reason that they felt dumbed down. (That's not a criticism of anyone in particular, particularly not anyone who's currently writing for Wizards.) It's not necessary or desirable for every book to read like Shakespeare, but I learned a lot of new words and ideas back in the day from reading Gary's rulebooks and adventures. I like books that encourage us to learn something new. It's not a terrible thing to need a dictionary occasionally when reading, or for kids (and adults) to acquire new vocabulary from reading a fantasy novel.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  05:44:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few other Welsh words that are used by English:

Dad (yep...if you wondered where that came from).

Coracle (nice little water rigs!)

Flannel (I wear it all the time!)

Penguin (means white head...one of the things toe heads are called where I'm from: "You little Penguin!" although I didn't understand until I was older and learned that the welsh is pen gwyn)

Dolmen (seen any nice stone tables lately?)

Paw (yes, every time you look at your kitty or puppy...thank the Welsh)

Bow (welsh I think is bwa)

Iron (many similar Gaelic words...Welsh being the closest and being "hearn" so I'm giving the Irish this one with "iarun")

That's all I can remember right now...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  11:53:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I kinda wish Realms novels used more obscure words, and more sophisticated characters/plots. It was too easy to stop reading Realms novels entirely for a while when one took a direction I didn't like, for the simple reason that they felt dumbed down. (That's not a criticism of anyone in particular, particularly not anyone who's currently writing for Wizards.) It's not necessary or desirable for every book to read like Shakespeare, but I learned a lot of new words and ideas back in the day from reading Gary's rulebooks and adventures. I like books that encourage us to learn something new. It's not a terrible thing to need a dictionary occasionally when reading, or for kids (and adults) to acquire new vocabulary from reading a fantasy novel.

It's not that I have problems learning words from books; indeed, I think my vocabulary is much stronger for my reading.

But I would debate whether or not learning "cwm" has done anything for my vocabulary. As I said, I had never seen that word before reading those books, and this is the first time I've seen it since. It's not a word that lends itself to conversation; I can't picture using it unless I'm discussing terrain features with a geologist or person of Welsh descent.

To me, it come across like a word that was used just for the sake of using it. I'm not saying that's what the author did, but I'm sure we've all known people that deliberately use words unfamiliar to others, to showcase their intelligence. That's what it felt like, to me.

Plus, for most of us, the word looks like a typo. One of the basic rules of the English language is that words have vowels -- and cwm does not. Seeing an unknown word and apparent typo pulls a reader out of the story -- it makes someone put down their book and reach for a dictionary.

And that's why I object to the use of the word -- it stands out so prominently that it breaks the flow of the story, and takes me out of what I am reading. In my opinion, words should keep a reader immersed in the story -- using words that kick them out should be avoided.

I had a similar objection to Richard Lee Byers's use of the word "translate" in the Rogue Dragon books. Yes, it does mean "teleport" and was thus used correctly. And I was already familiar with that usage of it... But for years, in just about everything I've read (Harry Potter being the only real exception), translocation was described as teleportation. So seeing another word used -- even though it was correct -- threw me off, especially when that word has another, more common meaning that is entirely different. The word, again, drew attention to itself and thus broke the flow of the story.

So that's my thing: use whatever words are appropriate, but don't use words that draw the reader's attention away from the story. Keep the narrative flowing.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Oct 2014 14:52:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  13:26:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is funny, because I read something just yesterday by a designer I truly respect and admire, and was stymied that he used an odd word choice, when I could think of at least three simpler words that conveyed the same thing. What I think this may be is a case of 'over-writing' - not sure if I coined that just now, or if it is a known phenomena. I'm probably (very) guilty of it myself.

I almost think its something a writer does to show how clever he/she is - I have to wonder if they compare notes on how many words they make their readers look-up (and damn you, L. Ron Hubbard! Damn you to hell! )

quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

I just received this response from Mr. Baker on his personal website, so I figured I'd share it with you all:

Hi Mr. Baker!

Is there any chance we'll get to see more of Araevin or Geran Hulmaster? They are probably my two favorite Forgotten Realms characters and I'd love to read more about them!

Richard Baker- August 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I have half an idea for a potential follow-up to Blades of the Moonsea. Geran ends the series in an interesting place, and I'd like to revisit the character sometime. But I have no immediate plans to knock out another Geran book (or Araevin book, for that matter) -- it's up to Wizards whether more books fit into their Realms plans. But thank you for the compliment! I'm pretty proud of both series.

All I have to say about this is this: Rich Baker is the ONLY FR author to have written a 4th edition novel series that felt like it belong in The Realms... or, at least, MY (our?) Realms. You could take the Bladess of the Moonsea series and plunk it down in the 1e/2e/3e eras with almost no problems - the 4e changes were barely addressed and treated as an afterthought. Kudos for that.

The other authors - several I adore as FR designers - I think became too restricted by the changes. In some cases it was because the series itself had to address those changes (Ed's books), but in others, I almost felt like they were trying too hard... like we were having our noses rubbed in Spellplague (even when there was no reason to bring it up). Sadly, I feel the Sundering novels also went that way... "Hey, this is a great manuscript you handed me a few years back - can you put the word 'Sundering' in it somewhere, in at least three places, and we can pretend its about something else? Because then we're good to go!" Yup - that is EXACTLY how I picture those conversations going.

So, anyway, my point is that Rich wrote the only 4e novels I actually enjoyed. I didn't read them all, but mostly because I didn't want to, and that was because they tried too hard to be about a world I was not a fan of. I don't agree with a lot of his design decisions, but I think he is a terrific author, because he made me enjoy his stories, DESPITE when they were set.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  02:39:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said Rich is one of THE BEST authors hands down. I can't think of another author who portrays elves as well as he does. His books just ooze great elfi-ness and really make me FEEL how elves are different, and special. I think that's a major achievement, as 'properly" portraying elves is to me at least, a task of great difficulty.

As for the "cwm", I'm fairly stymied myself that an editor worth her/his salt let that one go.

I would like to mention however that in my most recent issue of National Geographic, I was surprised to see that "the Western Cwm" is apparently a real place on Everest. I wonder if the author may have "borrowed" some of the features of Everest for the novel.

Of course I still think the word is quite a silly and confounding choice which serves to kill my immersion, and continues to do so into the 2nd book.

Otherwise fantastic trilogy.

Edited by - Cards77 on 14 Nov 2014 02:41:46
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  19:50:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To me, it come across like a word that was used just for the sake of using it. I'm not saying that's what the author did, but I'm sure we've all known people that deliberately use words unfamiliar to others, to showcase their intelligence. That's what it felt like, to me.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Good points all, and I completely agree. Realms authors should (be allowed to) step up their game, but not in the cherrypicking words to make banal sound fresh way.

I think it would be fascinating and frustrating to see exactly how much freedom authors are given in writing novels for WotC, and what points they're restricted on. I have a feeling it would be depressing for aspiring authors. They probably need a pretty thick skin before even going into the process.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 14 Nov 2014 19:52:58
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  03:25:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I just finished Avenger and am dying to know if there will be a follow up novel in the near future detailing Vaasa's plans 10 years down the road from where this book ends.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  12:16:57  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do the simple diamond-shaped brooches of those who stood guard over Nar Kerymhoarth, the Nameless Dungeon, have any magical properties? Thanks in advance.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  17:54:04  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who exactly is or what is The Pale Sybil? Will anything else ever be written about her? She seems like an incredibly interesting character that likely has a long and equally interesting history. Can you tell us anything more about her? Has anyone ever statted her out for 3/3.5? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  12:04:20  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker,
first I want to thank you for writing the Last Mythal Trilogy. One of the best Forgotten Realms Book / Trilogy that I’ve read... The story of the Trilogy inspired me to design an adventure for my group. So I would like to know more about the weapons and armor of the Fey’ri.
In your books you state, that the arms and armors are of fine quality and elven workmanship, and from the Vyshaan armories in the Nameless Dungeon. Also the daemonfey are described as “dressed in armor of scarlet and gold”. Can you tell me more about these types of ancient armor? Are there mostly chainshirts, chainmails, plate mails or some other kind similar maybe to the hoplite armor (the armor of the classic Greek warrior described in the 2nd Edition Book Combat & Tactics)? What do you think?
What Materials were used by the Vyshaan armorers: mithral, elven steel, bronze? In his book “The Summoning” Troy Denning gives the following description of an Aryvandaaran tomb: "Their bejeweled weapons and gold-trimmed armor were lying untouched beneath a thick layer of dust. By their amber skin and ornate bronze armor, Galaeron knew these to be Aryvandaaran nobles, high lords of the aggressive Vyshaan clan." Are the armors from the Nameless Dungeon quite the same material?
Do some of the armors have the qualities of Elven Chain? Or what other magical qualities do they have? Is there maybe a family crest on some of the armors or weapons and how does it look?
I would like to know more about this!
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2018 :  20:18:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich, can you tell us what exactly was the fate of the Company of the Riven Orb?

We have been enjoying Prison of the Firebringer immensely!

Thank you so much for all your hard work. It's been a joy sharing your different works with my family both in and out of game.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000