Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All things Nimbral
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  18:26:58  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to request the scribes here to help me with finding all official sources of material on the island nation of Nimbral. From there I can adjust and add for my own campaign).

But, first, I have to make sure I get all I can officially. To those that can help, I thank you!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  19:06:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me start this by providing you with the most esoteric of all Nimbral references - one in a Greyhawk/Spalljammer source!

quote:
Form pg.50 of Greyspace
The nation of Costepen, which has the largest quarries, has based its vibrant economy largely on the selling of Ginsel marble to spacefaring traders. From Ginsel, the rock has been taken to distant worlds where it commands a king's ransom. Rumors claim that one entire wall of the palace in the city of Rauthaven on Toril is made of Ginsel marble; knowledgeable stonemasons deny that this is possible, since the value of so much rock woud be almost immeasurable.

And so, if that rumor is true, then obviously the people of Nimbral - or at least its rulers - are extravagant and care little about how much they spend on 'creature comforts' and fine art. And even if untrue, it still means that Nimbral is known amongst other worlds (for whatever reason).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jan 2014 19:09:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  21:14:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this thread.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6372

Also, personally, I've always felt that Leira had fey links, and so I've always felt that the island would be very fey oriented.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  17:10:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, those articles from the WotC website that sleyvas directed to are the best source. There's also a little bit in Champions of Valor and some more in relation to Samarach in Serpent Kingdoms.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  06:23:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

antiquis ego iubes vires suas ut exaltarentur de terra, et dicant!

quote:
Check this thread. http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6372 Also, personally, I've always felt that Leira had fey links, and so I've always felt that the island would be very fey oriented.

I did read through that scroll, and I plan to message Tom as well, but I had a question here for you: what was it that made you feel that Leira had fey connections?

I'm working on a lot of Leira material now and as I am sure you know, there is not much to go off of.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  22:43:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

antiquis ego iubes vires suas ut exaltarentur de terra, et dicant!

quote:
Check this thread. http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6372 Also, personally, I've always felt that Leira had fey links, and so I've always felt that the island would be very fey oriented.

I did read through that scroll, and I plan to message Tom as well, but I had a question here for you: what was it that made you feel that Leira had fey connections?

I'm working on a lot of Leira material now and as I am sure you know, there is not much to go off of.

Best regards,

Just given that everywhere she's heavily worshipped is a place with a lot of fey (Nimbral, the moon, etc...), plus the fact that the fey are so illusion oriented.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  03:54:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just given that everywhere she's heavily worshipped is a place with a lot of fey (Nimbral, the moon, etc...), plus the fact that the fey are so illusion oriented.

I just re-read the entry on Selūne, in Realmspace. Unless I overlooked it, there is no mention at all of fey there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  09:32:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed did a six-part series on Nimbral as part of his Realmslore web column for WotC. Look here:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

Can't recall if it had any Leira lore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  19:35:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I just re-read the entry on Selūne, in Realmspace. Unless I overlooked it, there is no mention at all of fey there.

there's only 2 races mentioned as living there, elves and humans (well, maybe half elves too). Elves are considered fey.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  20:15:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

there's only 2 races mentioned as living there, elves and humans (well, maybe half elves too). Elves are considered fey.

I've always had an issue with that categorization, which is a newer thing in D&D. For me, fey (or fae, as I prefer) are the actual faeries -- semi- if not fully immortal nature spirits with innate magic, like sprites and pixies and leprechauns and such. Elves may be related, but it's such a distant thing that they're no longer the same category -- like how birds are descended from dinosaurs.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  07:25:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Thanks for sharing that. I've read those before, but to anyone who has not read them:check them out! Good stuff. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  19:31:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've always had an issue with that categorization, which is a newer thing in D&D. For me, fey (or fae, as I prefer) are the actual faeries -- semi- if not fully immortal nature spirits with innate magic, like sprites and pixies and leprechauns and such. Elves may be related, but it's such a distant thing that they're no longer the same category -- like how birds are descended from dinosaurs.

Not so new edition wise. When the creator races were first discussed there was much talk of the elves and the "fey" creator race as being intertwined. Still, I get where you might think of them as separate. I personally think of elves as fey-related (moreso than say giants, dwarves, gnomes, goblins, etc.. which also have a presence in the feywild).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  20:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fine with saying they're fey-related -- just not that they're fey enough to count as fey. Dogs are related to wolves, but I'm not going to assume a Chihuahua can fit into a wolf pack.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  03:30:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a map of Ruathaven in the novel "Into the Void."

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  05:26:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Thanks for sharing that. I am going to check that out right away.

I didn't want to push, but since I am commenting here...

I made a post in Chamber of Sages about the Exodus of Leirans. The whole idea has my mind swimming with intrigue and more. I know you're super busy, but if you do find time, I'd love to get your insight on those questions I have. Leira is one of my most favorite deities of the Realms! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  16:20:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, personally, I've always felt that Leira had fey links, and so I've always felt that the island would be very fey oriented.

Or fey creatures playing with illusions lived there, and the Leirans thought it's fun.
So relations between fey, elves and visiting Leirans were mostly good, perhaps it was already a popular spot for illusionists, and some already have settled there...
To think of it, there probably were some reasons why they chose that island as their new home.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  22:42:12  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, since my name was mentioned above, Prestige of the Realms is in Alaundo's Library here at the Keep.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  09:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

FYI, since my name was mentioned above, Prestige of the Realms is in Alaundo's Library here at the Keep.

Well met

Indeed it is, and a fine tome!

Prestige of the Realms can be found in Alaundo's Library, or here's the direct PDF Link.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  14:28:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Or fey creatures playing with illusions lived there, and the Leirans thought it's fun.
So relations between fey, elves and visiting Leirans were mostly good, perhaps it was already a popular spot for illusionists, and some already have settled there...
To think of it, there probably were some reasons why they chose that island as their new home.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant... if I didn't word it that way above, because sometimes my mind and my fingers don't meet, my idea was that the illusionists chose this place because it reminded them of what they would LIKE in an illusory realm. In other words, they didn't come here and tame a wilderness into conforming to their will so much as join an existing community that they began to slowly overgrow into? Better?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000