Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Stuff from Arivia's Waterdeep Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  23:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(psst, if you find this - and you know who you are - don't look!)

Hey everyone, I just wrote up Azuredge as a Weapon of Legacy (from the 3.5 supplement) in order to use her in an upcoming game I'm planning. I'd be interested in any input or ideas; I tried to balance her 3e rules treatment (in Magic of Faerun) with Steven Schend's original writeup in Waterdeep: City of Splendors. I think this is the first time I've actually found something in the Realms this system is appropriate for!

(Note: I didn't include any costs for either the rituals or the legacy abilities because I'm not concerned with the power level for my game. If using this in a party of players, consider reintroducing costs as Azuredge is actually more powerful than other weapons of its level consistently.)

Azuredge is a battle axe forged of silver, electrum, and steel alloys, with a handle cast in solid steel and wrapped in blue dragon skin. A star sapphire is set into its pommel, while the edge of the axe-head shimmers a deep azure blue. Runes run along the edge of the head and are inscribed at its center; these runes occasionally flash the same blue as the edge.

Nonlegacy Game Statistics: Azuredge is a +1 alchemical silver battleaxe. (See below for how it might appear as a greataxe or handaxe.) By saying the command phrase, “Gleam like waters deep,” Azuredge glows with blue light at will (as if light cast by a 20th level wizard.) Azuredge is incredibly light, and grants proficiency with itself to its wielder.
Azuredge, being an intelligent weapon, chooses her own wielder. She sticks to any service as if covered in sovereign glue unless she desires otherwise, and gives a #8722;4 penalty (in addition to any non-proficiency penalty) to any wielders she does not desire, sticking herself to the next possible surface. Azuredge can resist identification at will, as magic aura cast by a 20th level wizard.
Aura: Strong conjuration. CL: 20th. Weight: 15 lbs. (Varies, see below.)
Omen: Azuredge can sense great sources of inhuman evil (such as undead and evil outsiders.) If brought near one, the axe is shrouded with a blue, cold flame (no damage) that illuminates like a torch until at least sixty feet away from the source of evil.

History (Arcana, Waterdeep local): An axe glowing blue was last seen in Waterdeep in 1358 DR, when the warrior-smith Beryghon wielded it. Beryghon died fighting Myrkul’s undead legions in the Time of Troubles, and the axe was missing from his body when recovered. (DC 12)
Azuredge was last noted in the historical record as being wielded by Baeron, Open Lord of Waterdeep. It was missing from his funeral pyre. (DC 15)
Azuredge was created by Ahghairon, first Lord of Waterdeep, a guardian of the city to stand with its greatest heroes. The weapon is intelligent, possessing the memories of Lady Lauroun, Warlord of Waterdeep. (DC 20)

Legacy Rituals:
Because Azuredge is an intelligent weapon, no specific legacy rituals are required to unlock its power. Instead, she - Azuredge herself - chooses when to unlock her next power when her wielder has proven their worth. Suggested proof is as follows:
Proof of Valor: You must single-handedly slay an evil outsider or undead of at least Challenge Rating 5 within the walls of Waterdeep. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (Azuredge)
Proof of Heroism: You must kill at least twenty orcs single-handedly using Azuredge. This challenge may be accomplished outside of Waterdeep. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (Azuredge)
Proof of Knowledge: You must pray at the tomb of Lady Lauroun, located deep within the City of the Dead for at least twelve hours, arguing your dedication to Waterdeep to the spirits of Lady Lauroun and Ahghairon. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (Azuredge)

Wielder Requirements:
Most wielders of Azuredge fight with weapons primarily, such as paladins, fighters, and rogues. All wielders have one thing in common - a dedication to Waterdeep, and defending it from those who would corrupt the City of Splendors. Ultimately, however, the choice of a wielder is made by Azuredge herself.
Azuredge Wielder Requirements
-Must speak Chondathan
-Base attack bonus +2
-Must not have an evil patron deity

Azuredge Abilities
Wielder Level
Ability
5th
+1 throwing alchemical silver battleaxe
6th
Scion of splendors (lesser)
7th
Resize
8th
Lingering wounds
9th
+2 throwing alchemical silver battleaxe
10th
Defender
11th
+2 throwing disruption alchemical silver battleaxe*
12th
Awakening
13th
+3 throwing disruption alchemical silver battleaxe
14th
Secrets of the city
15th
Scion of splendors (greater)
16th
+3 throwing disruption good alchemical silver battleaxe
17th

18th
+4 throwing disruption good alchemical silver battleaxe
19th

20th
+5 throwing disruption good alchemical silver battleaxe
*See below.

Legacy Item Abilities:
All of the following are abilities of Azuredge.
Scion of Splendors (Su): While wielding Azuredge, you gain a +5 enhancement bonus on Sense Motive and Diplomacy checks within Waterdeep’s walls. At 15th level, this bonus increases to +10.
Resize (Sp): As a standard action, you may resize Azuredge, turning it from a battleaxe to a greataxe or handaxe. It takes another standard action to return it to a battleaxe. This ability may be used at will.
Lingering Wounds (Su): Azuredge cuts supernaturally deeply and viciously. Wounds created by Azuredge are not healed by fast healing or regeneration. An enemy dealt damage by Azuredge that would kill it dies. However, Azuredge does not dispel regeneration effects for the next round on a successful hit.
Defender (Sp): The wielder of Azuredge may cast detect evil three times a day as a cleric equal to their character level.
Disruption: Unlike a traditional weapon, Azuredge’s disruption effect applies to undead and evil outsiders.
Awakening (Ex): At 12th level, Azuredge fully “awakens” and begins to communicate with her wielder. Azuredge is neutral good (Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10, Ego 19), and considers itself female. She can communicate telepathically, empathically, or speak out loud in Common or Chondathan, although she rarely communicates at all. Azuredge can see and hear as a human within 60 feet, as well as detect outsiders, undead, and evil creatures (see above.) Azuredge’s purpose is the defense of Waterdeep, and she rarely tolerates activities that would take her away from this purpose. However, Azuredge is very tolerant of different wielders’ moral codes and actions; as long as the wielder serve Waterdeep, she dismisses small issues other intelligent weapons might fight over. Azuredge never speaks to anyone except its wielder or Khelben Arunsun.
Secrets of the City (Ex): At 14th level, the wielder may ask questions about Waterdeep of Azuredge. She has a +12 bonus to Knowledge (Waterdeep local, history) checks.

Adventure Seed
Since Beryghon’s death in the Time of Troubles, Khelben Arunsun has had Azuredge stored in Blackstaff Tower. Khelben intends to leave the axe somewhere in Waterdeep favoured by adventurers, so that she may find a willing wielder to defend Waterdeep against what he believes to be new and coming troubles. Still, Khelben does not want to let such a powerful artifact go unwatched; he may scry Azuredge and her wielder at any time (consider this a persistent scry spell, with no chance of failure.) Khelben may also speak to Azuredge or use her resize ability if holding the axe.

Edited by - Arivia on 20 Mar 2013 23:31:01

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:32:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not at all familiar with the 3.5e "Legacy Weapons" rules-set, but I do like what I'm reading here. Especially the "Awakening" ability... that sounds particularly fascinating.

[And it's good to see you visit these halls once more, Arivia. Welcome back! ]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:56:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 on good to see back within ck. Outstanding information. The only input I have is that Azure Edge surfaced in a recent (last couple of years) novel by Stephen. It may have some addional information, even if 4e.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not at all familiar with the 3.5e "Legacy Weapons" rules-set, but I do like what I'm reading here. Especially the "Awakening" ability... that sounds particularly fascinating.

Unfortunately, that's not really mine - it's just taken right from the writeup of Azuredge in Waterdeep: City of Splendors. It was less free-handing and more figuring out how to represent the idea from the Adventuring Quarter setup of Azuredge as campaign-long-plothook.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  03:42:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you again, Arivia!

And I like what you've done here. Azuredge is a good hook to pick up and run with, and I like this treatment of it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  04:18:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Unfortunately, that's not really mine - it's just taken right from the writeup of Azuredge in Waterdeep: City of Splendors. It was less free-handing and more figuring out how to represent the idea from the Adventuring Quarter setup of Azuredge as campaign-long-plothook.

Does this include the "Adventure Seed" bit you included at the end of the write-up in the opening post?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  04:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Does this include the "Adventure Seed" bit you included at the end of the write-up in the opening post?

Yep. There's an expansion of that in booklets 3 and 4 in the box set, too. It's a nice, fun way of giving PCs purpose early on in their Waterdhavian adventuring career.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  23:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed the name of the thread since I'm going to put some other things in here. Anyway, I've always liked the Raven Queen (from 4e's pantheon of deities), even though I've had little reason to use the generic pantheon for 4e. But since 4e took Bane and Sehanine, I figured I might take the Raven Queen and put her in Faerun for fun. Specifically, why not set her up with Bhaal's leftover portfolio in the 1370s? So here's a 3e-Realms focused writeup of the Raven Queen, following the format from Faiths and Pantheons.

The Raven Queen
New Blood, Dripping Talons, The Murderous Storm
Faerunian Demigod
Symbol: A raven-black wing on a blood-red circle
Home Plane: Fury’s Heart
Alignment: Neutral evil
Portfolio: Assassins, blood, murder
Worshipers: Assassins, murderers, sadists
Cleric Alignments: LE, NE, N, CE
Domains: Cold, Death, Destruction, Evil, Fate, Retribution
Favoured Weapon: “Talon of Death” (scythe)

The Raven Queen is a cold, dispassionate goddess dedicated solely to expanding her dominion over the taking of life across Toril. Implacable and unknown (despite her recent mortality,) the Raven Queen is merciless in conflict, slaying without pause anyone that works against her growing cults across Faerun. Many Faerunians are unaware of the Raven Queen’s existence. Despite her viciousness, the Raven Queen holds strictly to her own moral code: she can be coaxed into contracts and pacts, and while she brings death seemingly in random bloodshed, her schemes are slow and subtle. She holds a special bitterness for the undead, and instructs her followers to slay any that they find. Ultimately, the Raven Queen cares for nothing except gaining more power and committing more murders, and little except other divinities will stop her.
Her church is organized into small cells found in large cities across Faerun, often in northern areas. Her clerics work tirelessly to convert new worshipers, gain power both secret and political, and make coin by offering assassination services to the city’s underground. Each of her clerics must commit murder at least once a tenday, believing that any murdered souls directly strengthen the Raven Queen. Leaders of each cell are apparently hand-picked by the Raven Queen herself, visited by bloody dreams and inspired to a new city to spread their terrible influence.
Clerics of the Raven Queen (known as bloodletters) pray for their spells just after dusk, when night has slain the sun and sent safety into hiding. Prayer involves the cleric cutting their arms with a special knife, dripping blood into a cup which is then drank in reverence. Holy days include Midwinter, when death is hanging most deeply around Faerun, and Uktar 12, called “the Bloody Rise,” when the Raven Queen apparently ascended to divinity. Holy days are marked by kidnapping, murder, and human sacrifice. Bloodletters often multiclass as rogues and assassins.
History and Relationships: Somehow, the nameless being now known as the Raven Queen ascended to divinity in 1368 DR. How she gained her divinity is unknown, but one thing is certain according to sages researching her cult: she bears the divine powers and portfolio of the dead god Bhaal, Lord of Murder.
The Raven Queen is on familiar, if not quite friendly terms, with Bane, Kelemvor, Loviatar, Talona, and Mask. (Notably, while Kelemvor disagrees with the Raven Queen’s murderous methods, the two share a common understanding of the role of the afterlife for Faerunian souls. Kelemvor does not appreciate the Raven Queen’s minions attacking the Fugue Plane to steal petitioners for her fortress, however.) Malar and the Raven Queen are close allies, and her citadel in Fury's Heart is on the edge of Malar's part of the plane.
The Raven Queen’s enemies include Chauntea, Cyric (who still wants the portfolio he feels was rightfully his), Helm, Ilmater, Lathander, Lliira, Torm, and Tyr.
Dogma: Let none escape their inevitable, unknowable death. Spread pain and let blood flow as much as possible, so that the people of Faerun may know fear once more. Power is transitory - just as life is - but the best power can be wrested from others through strength and treachery. Cloak yourself in the cold that brings death to the land as you bring death to its inhabitants, and leave corpses to rest so that new lives may be born. Destroy those who would turn away from the destiny of a short life and a quick death - immortal and undead alike.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  01:27:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that you've tied the portfolios of Bhaal with the Raven Queen's set. Good stuff!

I'd be interested to hear more about how that came about.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  02:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love the fact that you've tied the portfolios of Bhaal with the Raven Queen's set. Good stuff!

Well since there's no listing in GHotR for the ending of Throne of Bhaal, I'm just going to say Melissan won over Abdel in the final battle for the power of the Bhaalspawn. Neat and tidy-like. (Melissan does wear a feathered circlet in the finale, so there's some precedent.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  03:04:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well since there's no listing in GHotR for the ending of Throne of Bhaal, I'm just going to say Melissan won over Abdel in the final battle for the power of the Bhaalspawn. Neat and tidy-like. (Melissan does wear a feathered circlet in the finale, so there's some precedent.)

Aye.

The writers of the game and the novelisations for Throne of Bhaal have previously stated that because of the multiple endings of the CRPG, it would be difficult to declare these endings in canon Realms sources.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  13:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For an NPC I'm putting together, I wrote up gray orcs as a character race according to Pathfinder's race construction rules. Here is the result, there's nothing particularly new, but the rules are completely consistent.

Gray Orc Racial Traits:

-+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Gray orcs are physically weaker than mountain orcs, but they have a stronger will and drive for independence.
-Orc: Gray orcs are humanoids with the orc subtype.
-Medium: Gray orcs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
-Fast: Gray orcs have a base speed of 40 feet, being accustomed to loping running in order to cover great distances.
-Scent: Gray orcs have the scent special ability. (See Bestiary 304.)
-Light Sensitivity: Gray orcs are dazzled in areas of bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
-Ferocity: Gray orcs can remain conscious and continue fighting even if their hit point totals fall below 0. They are still staggered at 0 hit points or lower and lose 1 hit point each round as normal.
-Weapon Familiarity: Gray orcs are always proficient with the greataxe and longbow.
-Languages: As per home region. (See page 27 of the Player’s Guide to Faerun.) Gray orc NPCs commonly have Common and Orc as automatic languages, and Draconic, Giant, and Goblin as bonus languages. (Races of Faerun notes that gray orcs are usually illiterate, but illiteracy is not represented in the Pathfinder rules. You might rule that literacy is gained by taking a level in a PC class, or spending 1 skill point in Linguistics.)
-Level adjustment: None. (Gray orcs have a total race point budget of 9: Humanoid [0], Normal speed [0], Standard abilities [0, tweaked down], Standard languages [0], Fast [1], Ferocity [4], Weapon familiarity [1], Scent [4], Light sensitivity [-1]. A budget of 9 is equal to other core and expanded races; see the Advanced Race Guide, page 239.)

Sources: Races of Faerun page 65, Advanced Race Guide pages 138, 214, 244.

Edited by - Arivia on 07 Apr 2013 13:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  16:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a hole in PGtF's treatment of orc regions; there's no Damara region for orcs but there should be one per the gray orc entry in Races of Faerun (and there wasn't one in the errata, either.) Here's a quick one whipped together from other entries on Table 1-8:

Orc & Half-Orc Region: Damara
Recommended Subraces: Half-orc, gray orc
Automatic languages: Orc, Damaran
Bonus languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Ulutiun, Undercommon
Favored Deities: Orc pantheon, Bahamut, Ilmater, Tempus
Regional Feats: Blooded, Fearless, Tireless (remember that Daylight Adaptation is not a regional feat; see the PGtF errata)
Bonus Equipment: (A) Spear* or great axe* or (B) Chain mail* with armor spikes

Bahamut and Draconic are there mostly for dragon stuff in the old Bloodstone series and the Year of Rogue Dragons. If you're downplaying that part of Damara, just remove those options.

Edited by - Arivia on 07 Apr 2013 16:41:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  03:00:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo! This is going in my notebooks for potential use at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  15:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oooo! This is going in my notebooks for potential use at some point.

The region or the race?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  16:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's the reason I was doing that work. While I'm positioning Tharsk as an ally and possible party member for my one player, I've generalized him here a bit so you can use him in your own game if you'd like.

Tharsk is a tall man, his hulking shoulders barely occluded by the folds of his robes. His imposing figure is made no less fearsome by the pale grey veil drawn over his eyes, and the yellowing tusks that move up and down with his every word. Despite any first impressions, Tharsk is gregarious and often smiling, a man who works long hours as both a scribe and mage in happy friendship with the “civilized folk.” Underneath the veil (a necessary refuge from his hereditary sensitivity to sunlight), Tharsk has bright blue eyes and a wild mop of dark black hair. His familiar, a rat named Hakuk, commonly hides out on the top of Tharsk’s head, under his hood.
Born in the orc-infested mountains around Damara, Tharsk was exiled from his tribe after displaying both an aptitude for arcane magic and an uncommon mercy towards his enemies. Wandering across the Cold Lands, he eventually fell in with the growing school of illusions founded near Heliogabalus. Working with the school’s deep gnome instructors, Tharsk both learned how to work as a scribe and was able to capitalize on his natural aptitude for the Art. Slowly, carefully, Tharsk was begrudgingly accepted by Heliogabalus’ tradespeople. He eventually turned his profession into work as a travelling writer and caravan guard, travelling the Realms to see new people and places.
Tharsk does not believe in the idea of the orc race as a plague commonly suggested in both the North and the Cold Lands. Instead, he argues that the orcs of Faerun are enthralled and enslaved to larger forces of evil, whether those are fiends, other horrors, or even just the predations of deities such as Gruumsh. His worship of Luthic is based in her role as the Mother of Orcs - he both wishes for orc fecundity and an opportunity for new generations of orcs to live better lives. In his spare time, Tharsk is a fervent reader of news and stories relating to Obould’s kingdom of Many-Arrows (he believes in a kinship between himself and Obould) and pens small articles and broadsheet tall tales under the pseudonym “Ethlador Zemas, Scribe of Secrets.” He holds a distrust of the law due to past persecution, but also believes that a society without guidelines returns to the anarchic tribalism of the orcs. While he has shed many of the savage habits of his homeland, Tharsk cannot refuse a challenge, and will fight an injustice until slain or otherwise disabled.
Tharsk of Heliogabalus
Male gray orc illusionist 3 of Luthic
N Medium humanoid (orc)
Init +2; Senses scent (Bestiary 304); Perception +1 (untrained)
Defense
AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+1 bracers of armor, +2 Dex)
hp 20 (3d6+9); ferocity
Fort +2; Ref +3; Will +4
Offense
Spd 40 ft.
Melee mwk greataxe +2 (1d12/x3)
Ranged blinding ray +3 (see below) or mwk longbow +4 (1d8/x3)
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 3rd; 4 cantrips/3+1/2+1; concentration )
2nd - alter self, hypnotic pattern (2)
1st - color spray, disguise self, protection from law, shield
0 (at will) - arcane mark, daze, detect magic, read magic
Statistics
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 11
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 13
Feats Daylight Adaptation (PG), Scribe Scroll (B), Toughness
Skills Diplomacy +3, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Profession (Scribe) +7, Spellcraft +8
Languages Common, Damaran, Gnome, Orc
SQ arcane bond (rat familiar), extended illusions, light sensitivity
Combat Gear none; Other Gear mwk greataxe, mwk longbow, 100 arrows, +1 bracers of armor, scholar's robes, assorted gear and gold worth 270 gp (mostly in silver tradebars or small bloodstones)
Spellbook
0-Acid splash, arcane mark, daze, detect magic, detect poison, ghost sound, mage hand, mending, message, open/close, prestidigitation, read magic, resistance, silent portal (Mag);
1- Color spray, comprehend languages, disguise self, identify, protection from law, shield, unseen servant
2- Alter self, hypnotic pattern
Opposition schools: evocation, necromancy
Blinding Ray (Sp): As a standard action, Tharsk can fire a shimmering ray at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The ray causes creatures to be blinded for 1 round. Creatures with more Hit Dice than Tharsk’s wizard level are dazzled for 1 round instead. He can use this ability 5 times per day. (3+Int modifier)
Extended Illusions (Su): Any illusion spell Tharsk casts with a duration of concentration lasts a number of rounds equal to 1 (1/2 wizard level) after he stops concentrating. At 8th level, new school ability gained. At 20th level, class ability changes.
Ferocity (Ex): Tharsk can remain conscious and continue fighting even if his hit point totals fall below 0. He is still staggered at 0 hit points or lower and loses 1 hit point each round as normal.
Scent (Ex): Tharsk can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. He can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.
He can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.
When he detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. He can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. When he is within 5 feet of the source, he can pinpoint the source’s location.
He can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom (or Survival) check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10 (no matter what kind of surface holds the scent). This DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Survival skill. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2013 :  14:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I have to figure out what to do with Khelben's stats, and there's already a Chosen of Mielikki in the South Ward, and because the Pathfinder cleric was a little inspirational, here's a generic Chosen template that should fit most deities and situations. Generally Chosen have one or two unique powers above this, but I leave that as an exercise to the reader. Still, this is pretty consistent to the treatment in the 3e FRCS and Faiths and Pantheons.

Chosen Template (CR +3)

The Chosen are once-mortals selected by a Faerunian deity and gifted with a tiny shard of divine power. They live to exemplify their deity's teachings and act to safeguard and advance that deity's interests on Toril.

Quick rules: +2 on all rolls (including attack and damage rolls) and special ability DCs; +4 AC and CMD; +2 hp/hd; can channel 10d6 divinity 3/day as a 20th level cleric.
Rebuild rules:
CR: Same as the base creature +3.
Type: The base creature gains the augmented subtype.
AC: Increase natural armor by +2.
Defenses
Damage Reduction: 10/magic, unless the base creature has another source of damage reduction.
Immune: aging, sleep
Special Attacks:
Channel Divinity: A Chosen may channel divinity as a 20th level cleric 3 times per day. They can only channel energy that matches their god's alignment. (For example, a Chosen of Lathander can only channel positive energy, while a Chosen of Lolth can only channel negative energy.) If your campaign uses variant channelling (Ultimate Magic 28), choose one appropriate channelling variant to apply to the Chosen's channeling.
Domain: A Chosen gains access to one of their deity's domains. They may cast each domain spell once per day as a 20th level cleric. If your campaign uses subdomains (Advanced Player's Guide 86), the Chosen may select a subdomain instead.
Furthermore, select one spell from that domain's spell list. The Chosen may either cast that spell at will, or have it apply to them continually (as if the spell's duration had been increased to 24 hours, and they are the only target.)
A Chosen may also use the granted powers of that domain as a 20th level cleric.
Ability Scores: A Chosen gains +4 to all ability scores.
Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  17:12:40  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a soft spot in my heart for Azuredge, since it was my first FR game and lasted for over 5 years. Still don't know why the GM let our cleric claim it, but it make for interesting times... My F/M/T moon elf helped causing much fun chaos in the realms. I jokely called her the high priestess of Erevan Ilesere, but she was too lazy to be a cleric...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000