Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pipeweeds of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  00:07:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am making an elfling NPC that is a cultivator and purveyor of pipeweed. Is there a list anywhere of the various strains and what, if any, are the effects of smoking the various weeds grown in the Realms? I saw something of a list in the Smoking in the Realms thread, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Sources?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2010 00:25:30

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  01:51:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid only Ed could answer this to any definitive degree, as its not really a subject that's received all that much attention in the published Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  01:56:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having said that, I'll note that the pipe is by far the most common way of smoking in the Realms. A range of plants are smoked [though they've never been properly listed {which is why I've suggested asking Ed}], with different psychogenic and medicinal effects:- for instance, Elminster smokes thalander and phaelder rather than tobacco -- which is widely available, and more often called tobacco than pipeweed though there may be a Realms term we've not yet heard. [But Elminster's eversmoking pipe is not famous: most people who've heard of Elminster wouldn't even know he smokes one, let alone that it's magical or anything about it.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  16:14:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing my own bit of thread necromancy, here... I am suddenly, for reasons, thinking of pipes in the Realms.

Do we have any published lore on pipes and smoking, in the Realms, other than the passing reference there and there?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  17:17:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inside Raven's Bluff page 60 has this for the tobacco shop there:

Gloammg Dark--cures coughing
Gloaming Light--cures headaches
Ancient Ash--cures feaver
Burrowville Blueleaf--fights tiredness
Misty Moss--cures ulcers
Wizard Weed--removes wrinkles
Laughing Leaf--increases merriness
Dungeon Delight--warms body
Oscar's Only--aids eyesight
Nicotiana Night--aids sleep

Edit: Aurora's also has this on page 133: TABACCO: Dark and sweet-scented, this Nexalan leaf can be used for the same purposes as common pipeweed. However, there all comparison ends, for pipeweed cannot match the rich, full flavors of true Nexalan tabacco (or tobacco). I sell only the finest tabacco, imported directly from Nexal and packed in sealed pots to retain all its true flavor. Every pot comes with a complimentary churchwarden so that you need not delay your enjoyment. (100 gp/lb.)

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 23 Sep 2020 21:54:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  22:39:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd found the Aurora's reference, but not the Raven's Bluff one -- I have the pdfs (and printed copies) but didn't think to look in them.

I was more interested in the pipes themselves, though, rather than their content. Is there some bit of lore there that I've forgotten?

I seem to recall Elminster's pipe getting its own write-up, but I don't recall if there is other pipe-lore anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  07:29:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Pipe got a write-up in Polyhedron #70.

In the Al Quadim adventure "The Rose of Jumlat" in Dungeon #57 (p.46) it uses the term "dukhan" for tobacco which I've taken to be an Alzhedo word.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  14:47:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd found the Aurora's reference, but not the Raven's Bluff one -- I have the pdfs (and printed copies) but didn't think to look in them.

I was more interested in the pipes themselves, though, rather than their content. Is there some bit of lore there that I've forgotten?

I seem to recall Elminster's pipe getting its own write-up, but I don't recall if there is other pipe-lore anywhere.

Well, as to pipes, cloud giants, smoke mephits, and leprechauns have been noted to use them in the Monstrous Manual (leprechauns specifically use the long stem variety).

Page 37 of the FRCS: The dwarves of Tarkhaldale were known for their carved pipes.
page 66 of the FRCS: "full-bowled pipe of gnomish make" (it seems that gnomes make distinctive pipes)

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  16:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, as to pipes, cloud giants, smoke mephits, and leprechauns have been noted to use them in the Monstrous Manual (leprechauns specifically use the long stem variety).

Page 37 of the FRCS: The dwarves of Tarkhaldale were known for their carved pipes.
page 66 of the FRCS: "full-bowled pipe of gnomish make" (it seems that gnomes make distinctive pipes)

Which FRCS? That acronym is used pretty interchangeably for the 1E and 2E boxed sets and the 3E book.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  16:30:53  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e one (not the OGB).

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  17:26:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are cigars a thing in the realms? I don't remember reading about them anywhere?

I just picture a fella on a pale horse riding in the Western Heartlands with two Starwheels on his sides and a wide-brimmed hat...smoking a nice cigar. =)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  17:30:40  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I just picture a fella on a pale horse riding in the Western Heartlands with two Starwheels on his sides and a wide-brimmed hat...smoking a nice cigar. =)

Aurora's has cigars (pg 132).

Edit: Pffft. Who needs Starwheels:

Swordcoast Handbow: The first of these hand crossbows were created on the Sword Coast, hence their name. They all have a standard set of features:
• The enhancement bonus will be determined randomly like any magic weapon with any curse results being ignored. This bonus will be applied to any bolt/quarrel fired from the weapon so that they can hit creatures that have a protection against non-magical weapons or magical weapons up to amount of the enhancement.
• The cross bar will fold up next to the body and unfold automatically everytime the weapon is inserted into/drawn from a form fitted carrying pouch (holster).
• The weapon has an opening in the handle hidden behind one of the grips where the user can place a gem of up to 500gp value. With a gem in place, the weapon will automatically create and load a bolt up to 2 times per round giving the weapon a rate of fire of 2 shots per round. This rate of fire only applies if both the bolts are created by the weapon and each time a bolt is created, it reduces the value of the gem by 1 gp. Once the value reaches 0 gp, the gem is gone and no new bolts will be created until a new gem is inserted. Putting a new gem in the handle takes a full round and typically cannot be done while in melee combat.
• The bolts created by the weapon do greater than normal damage for bolts of those size (1d6/1d6 vs 1d3/1d2) and allow the weapon to have the same range as a light crossbow. Bolts used that were not created by the weapon have the normal range and damage for that bolt.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 24 Sep 2020 17:53:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  18:55:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

H4 Throne of Bloodstone

"Ahem." A polite throat-clearing noise from behind you causes you to spin around, weapons and spells at the ready. But instead of another demonic threat, you see a short, stocky little man with huge angel's wings wearing a white robe. He calmly puffs on a cigar as he looks at you. "I'm Saint Sollars. Pleased ta meetcha," he says.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  22:14:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Fellfire,

Here is a link http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9025&whichpage=1 to another scroll at the Keep regarding this. I think they are all legitimate, I just can't find all of the sources. However, the Cormyrean, "West Fennet Number Three" is references in A Murder in Cormyr,
quote:
"Your clothing," said he, "bears the odor of West Fennet Number Three, a pipeweed that the tobacconist in town refuses to carry because of its bitter aftertaste. Farmer Snaggard, having gathered a fondness for it in youth, grows a small plot of it every year for his own use only, and he has been an inveterate patron of the Swamp Rat since it opened."

Here is that list as well from the other scroll:

• Maztica
    ~Money~
    50 gram pouch (80 gp)
    Zahekarin (Dwarven variety)
    ~Axe~
    50 gram pouch (1 gp)

• West Fennet (Cormyr)
    ~Afterburn~
    50 gram pouch (6 sp)

• Neblin (Deep Gnome variety)
    N/A
    50 gram pouch (5 gp)

• Selterian (Halruaa)
    ~Shards~
    50 gram pouch (3 gp)

• Bree (Liuren)
    ~Breeze~
    50 gram pouch (100 gp)

• Silfarindrin (Elvish variety)
    ~Evereskan~
    50 gram pouch (10 gp)

• Makepeace Pipe (Mastercraftworks) (30 gp) high quality item
    Note: Pipe 13-15 inches in length made entirely of clay. Each pieces if fired in the magical kiln of the master potter llvn Makepeace of Corm Orp.

(*) similiar to the Churchwardens of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Rings novels

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000