Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Shifters in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  01:38:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20101206

Some good Realmslore nestled within and details some regions. For those not familiar, Shifters are like Were-creatures.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:22:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat. While I'm not so sure I'd use shifters in the Realms, I'm already brimming with ideas about incorporating this material into my existing RAVENLOFT campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  02:27:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, that would be great if I was a DDI. I do love the Shifters and have imported them to FR, a shame (ahem) I don't play 4e and that information isn't available to me.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:03:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this article, very useful stuff (for me, anyhow - it helps flesh out my Rakshasas a bit ...).

I notice that much of the discussion (at wizards) complained this is all fluff and no crunch. I don't understand the problem - the crunch is (and has always been) in whatever monster manuals your version of D&D uses, the fluff has never really been presented in any meaningful way (or if it has, then I missed it). I like giving the shifters some "identity" of their own instead of just copying whomever they look like.

Thanx Matt.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:14:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat. I added Shifters to my 3E games, by making them People of the Black Blood. Great Ideas in this article...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  04:46:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Boy, that would be great if I was a DDI. I do love the Shifters and have imported them to FR, a shame (ahem) I don't play 4e and that information isn't available to me.

Ditto.

I've long felt that shifters and changelings are two races that would be very easy to import into the Realms. The racial backstories are easy to tweak, and they'd certainly fit in readily enough, at least in small numbers (not more than a dozen or so in a good-sized community).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  05:56:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Psionic Eberron race could be spun as the descendents of Jhaamdath and the 12 Cities of the Sword...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  06:01:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Psionic Eberron race could be spun as the descendents of Jhaamdath and the 12 Cities of the Sword...

Already on it. Or, at least I was, back when Dargoth was still active, and we were working on Jhaamdath-related material [for Candlekeep] together.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Matt. I'll let one of my players in my campaign know since he is playing a Razorclaw Shifter Avenger taht worships Kelemvor.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Already on it. Or, at least I was, back when Dargoth was still active, and we were working on Jhaamdath-related material [for Candlekeep] together.

I'd like to see what you've got for that, if I may... It may be something I can tie into an idea of me own.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  16:18:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm VERY interested in the Rakshasa lore - sounds like some of the stuff I was working on (tying the Rakshasa into many beast-like races).

Too bad its DDi... maybe someday....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  16:24:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'd like to see what you've got for that, if I may... It may be something I can tie into an idea of me own.

I can definitely share my half of the info... but I'll have to contact Dargoth about sharing the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  23:40:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely a great article. Really gives some good ideas, character hooks, and the mechanics are actually quite good.

Now can we get some stuff for Warforged, Changelings, and Shardminds?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  00:03:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shardminds in the Realms would be nice...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  02:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Neat. I added Shifters to my 3E games, by making them People of the Black Blood..

I never played 3E (though I'm playing in my first ever Pathfinder Society games next Saturday, so I'm finally starting to get all the "crunch" bits in my 3.0/3.5 Realms library), but this is exactly what I've done in my 4E Realms games.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  03:45:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding news Chris!!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  16:19:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if this was a Dungeon or Dragon article mentioned in the OP? If so, what number, please?

Also for shifter afficionados, a few questions, if I may. Do shifters suffer from any of the vulnerability to silver of their antecedents? Are shifters able to contract lycanthropy?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  16:34:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anybody know if this was a Dungeon or Dragon article mentioned in the OP? If so, what number, please?

Also for shifter afficionados, a few questions, if I may. Do shifters suffer from any of the vulnerability to silver of their antecedents? Are shifters able to contract lycanthropy?

Dragon 394.

The Eber-whatsit campaign book did not mention either thing. I don't know what 4E did to the race.

In my opinion, shifters would not have issues with silver, and I'd either make them immune to lycanthropy, or more highly resistant than most -- after all, they are basically born with a stripped-down version of it.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  16:41:49  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dragon #394. Here's an updated link to the summary blurb.

Shifters are outlined in the 3.5e MM 3. I don't see anything there about vulnerability to silver or lycanthropy, but it does suggest checking the Eberron Campaign Setting (which I don't have) for more shifter feats. (Edit: I agree with Wooly.)

I dunno if "Sage Advice" or an equivalent is still running in Dragon, but that would be the place to check for canon answers to questions unanswered in the books.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Nov 2014 16:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  17:49:44  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both the Eberron Campaign book and Races of Eberron but I can find no definitive answer in either. Thanks for the linky, x, Wooly.

On a somewhat related note, wereporcupines, thoughts?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Nov 2014 17:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  17:56:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cooler than wereskunks, though those might have really sweet hair-do's in their human aspect

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Nov 2014 18:03:25
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  18:27:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From 394... "Shifters are thought to be blessed by Malar, bestial exarch of... Silvanus." What?! I just can't reconcile these 4e changes.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  18:39:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, under the Tethyr heading in teh OP article mentions the noble Janors of Zazesspur as the descendents of wereserpents that can shed their skins. What shifter trait do they inherit? How do they differ from Yuan-ti?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  00:45:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, under the Tethyr heading in teh OP article mentions the noble Janors of Zazesspur as the descendents of wereserpents that can shed their skins. What shifter trait do they inherit? How do they differ from Yuan-ti?

Options, off the top of my head:

A bite attack
The ability to spit poison
Scales covering their skin for increased AC
Some sort of grapple/Dexterity bonus

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  05:04:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess. They don't really conform to the traditional shifter traits, but when has that stopped anybody? Though mechanically no different than various yuan-ti breeds.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After having read Legacy of Wolves an Eberron novel authored by Marsheila Rockwell, I can confirm that 1. Shifters are unaffected by silver, other than run-of-the-mill greed (though I think it might make an interesting handicap, that as a DM I may reward with an extra Shifter feat) and 2. Shifters can, in fact, be afflicted by lycanthropy. Assuming, of course, we take for granted that novels are considered canon.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 24 Nov 2014 00:59:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  03:52:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

After having read Legacy of Wolves an Eberron novel authored by Marsheila Rockwell, I can confirm that 1. Shifters are unaffected by silver, other than run-of-the-mill greed (though I think it might make an interesting handicap, that as a DM I may reward with an extra Shifter feat) and 2. Shifters can, in fact, be afflicted by lycanthropy. Assuming, of course, we take for granted that novels are considered canon.

I believe that the Eber-whatsit novels were not, in fact, canon.

And either way, I really dislike the idea that someone born with a stripped-down version of lycanthropy would be just as susceptible to it as a regular human.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000