Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  18:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Many thanks for the offer, angerzen. I'll also respond to your lengthier PM on other items, shortly.

With regards to hosting, Candlekeep has had to move web hosts a number of times due to the vast amount of bandwidth used. At one point it was personally costing $120 bandwidth charge per month on top of the annual hosting fee! Even since moving to the current host a few years back, we have had to move server/application pools on the shared servers due to the forum sucking a vast majority of the database resources (hence the ASP errors we have experienced in the past).

The forum is certainly undergoing migration but with a custom built site integrated, rather than a CMS. Watch this space...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  03:23:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had a little chuckle at the fact that while this particular scroll was opening, I encountered an ASP error.

Hehe. That's never happened before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  22:28:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a server problem, I don't think, but for some reason the text is no longer wrapping meaning I have to arrow over to see the complete text. Never had that happen before. Help?

Edit: Odd. It seems to have fixed itself.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 06 Jan 2014 22:29:38
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  22:32:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Not really a server problem, I don't think, but for some reason the text is no longer wrapping meaning I have to arrow over to see the complete text. Never had that happen before. Help?

Sometimes a url over long causes the problem the "word" is too long so can not wrap.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  22:35:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odder still it appears to only happen in the "Exalted Monk follower of...Sharess" scroll.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  22:56:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Odder still it appears to only happen in the "Exalted Monk follower of...Sharess" scroll.

There was a bizarrely formatted post in that scroll, from a spammer. I nixed the post (and the spammer), and it resolved the issue.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  02:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Sometimes a url over long causes the problem the "word" is too long so can not wrap.

That, and the actual screen-size/resolution. I've seen nearly 30-inch monitors that don't really suffer from that issue.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  12:30:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a 30 inch monitor. Sadly. Silly Sage.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  14:36:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know... I know. I've often been accused of making assumptions rather too easily.

Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  13:21:24  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I've some trouble with my outbox : it's empty and I never deleted any message in it!!!
Before I had configured my profile to have two separate page for outbox and inbox, now I've configured it for only one page for both hoping they showed up, but look like they're lost :(

Could somebody help me please?

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  09:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

Hi, I've some trouble with my outbox : it's empty and I never deleted any message in it!!!
Before I had configured my profile to have two separate page for outbox and inbox, now I've configured it for only one page for both hoping they showed up, but look like they're lost :(

Well met

I haven't encountered this issue myself, Regcod and have the same configuration of a two-page split. The databases weren't altered during the recent migration, so all data should still be available. I'll take a look behind the scenes and query your id for the physical data.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  15:49:54  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

Well met

I haven't encountered this issue myself, Regcod and have the same configuration of a two-page split. The databases weren't altered during the recent migration, so all data should still be available. I'll take a look behind the scenes and query your id for the physical data.

Thank you, :)

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

grasyhoax
Acolyte

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  17:19:21  Show Profile Send grasyhoax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I got this new 'process' called stij.exe running on my machine the past few days, and I can't seem to gt rid of it. It's supposedly part of the Incredibar/Incredimail family of apps, but I don't use those, so I don't know how or why this thing was installed. Its infuriating. Thus far, no anti-malware/antivirus identifies it as malicious, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd just like to know how it snuck in on me - I'm pretty damn careful.

Can you go uninstall ALL that "Incredi-" stuff?

That's what I'd do. Also keep in mind that some malware is sneaky and masquerades as a legitimate process; I once caught a malware disguised as svchost.exe. I only saw it because I was using Process Explorer and noticed that process didn't have the same info as the other svchost entries.

You may also need to go into Safe Mode to get rid of it. Some of the trickier malware requires that.

Also keep in mind most anti-virus programs won't catch some malware, particularly adware or scareware. Something like Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, or Spybot S&D will help greatly.

Go to Top of Page

grasyhoax
Acolyte

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  17:21:51  Show Profile Send grasyhoax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry for the previous entry, that seemed somrthing hijacked ny browser. and plewase berware of ccc extensions, those files with such ccc ending may belong to malware that hacks your data - http://soft2secure.com/knowledgebase/ccc-file
Go to Top of Page

GabrielRoss
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2016 :  13:55:14  Show Profile Send GabrielRoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
grasyhoax: What do you mean by saying "beware of ccc extensions"? My files are locked and I can see ccc in their ending. Am I infected or what? Also, can I use this guide: http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-ccc-file-extension-virus.html???
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  00:19:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
500 Internal Server Error

Only lasted a half-hour or so, still that hasn't happened in a long while.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  02:02:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

500 Internal Server Error

Only lasted a half-hour or so, still that hasn't happened in a long while.

That error occurs , most often, when host server is over loaded. Nothing to worry about if it happens rarely.
Should it become a persistent problem, it becomes a search for a new hosting service.

I do understand that donations to cost of host server are welcomed. Free and good hosting clearly better.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  09:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, I haven't seen the error for some time, but would be down to the server load, as Kentinal states. We had Candlekeep moved to a larger and less populated application pool some years ago, but maybe it's starting to get more population. Alas, the coffers don't stretch to a dedicated server.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic