Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Knights of Samular review
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  21:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a review of Elaine Cunningham's short story "The Knights of Samular" in her anthology Best of the Realms III. It is the long awaited sequel to the Thornhold novel that was left at a cliffhanger for the entire Harpers series but will, obviously, never be able to have one at this point. So, how does it stand up?

*lowers head* To be honest, not so well. Still enjoyable but I perceive some flaws (just don't expect me to do better).

I can summarize the Knights of Samular in a very simple manner. It feels like I'm listening in to two people talking about an incredibly awesome book they read and the after effects thereof. Indeed, Danillo Thann and Sir Algorind The Worst Paladin EverTM's conversing pretty much is the crux of the story.

I truly would have loved to have read The Knights of Samular novel. It's a book that involves a Lich, a demonic set of offspring, a corrupt paladin, family curses, and a five year quest to seek out new information and new life. Unfortunately, there's only 40 pages to tell the story and quite a bit of it is backstory.

I'll talk about the good now that I've talked about the bad. First, The Order of Samular is one of the three Major Paladin Orders in my game. There's the Order of the Radiant Heart, The Knights of Samular, and The Suffering Knights that collectively form the champions of the Triad. There never was an in-game write up of the KOS so it was always just played without much background.

Daaaaaaamnnnnnnn.

It's no wonder Sir Algorind turned out the way he did; the origins of the Order are soaked in blood, demonology, and foul offspring. The actions of Samular's brother are so unholy and twisted that it's difficult to really put into words. Seriously, the dude put a Demon on his niece to produce offspring. Whatever imprisonment he's suffering is not enough.

I just have to have the PCs discover the horribly twisted origins of the Order now. It'll be especially nasty as one of the PCs is the child of a Samular Paladin.

(weirdly, I'm entirely okay with such a disturbing tale of horror as the origin of a Paladin's order but I'm galled when one is treated like an utter doofus)

Also, the second best part of the story is Algorind finally getting a clue that Sir Gareth is a rotten and twisted monster. It and the moment where he rides an owl to escape his prison are the best moments in the book as we FINALLY get the realization he's going to break out of the rut he does.

....Unfortunately this is undercut by Danillo Thann casting a Suggestion spell to get him working. It's a tragedy that the guy wasn't allowed to fully come into his own and be a decent person of his own free will. Apparently, Sir Algorind is going to continue being a complete disgrace to his class. Still, he did have some nice moments like where he decided to apologize to Bronwyn and her niece.

I'm a tad disappointed with Sir Gareth's punishment. For the myriad evils and horrors the man had committed, I was hoping for something a tad more just than perpetual house arrest. Treason, blasphemy, kidnapping, and more should probably warrant a hanging. Clearly, the Knights of Samular aren't going to be redeemed from their corruption this generation if they choose to hide their dirty laundry like they do here.

The best moment of the short story? I would have to say that it would have to be when Danillo Thann and Khelben, unwittingly, say goodbye for the last time. I still think Danillo should be the new Master of Blackstaff Tower but story concerns dont' dictate at TSR. I know he certainly will be at MY table.

6/10

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  00:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have to come out and admit that unlike Charles (and several others), I never ever got the impression that Danilo and Khelben bid each other their very last farewell in that story (and I have read the Blackstaff novel). Were archmages are concerned (that is, they can zip all over the place), how do we know? Besides, I believe that scene takes place a few years before the events in Blackstaff?

I DID take that "farewell" moment more as a revelation about Khelben's character--he feels strong emotions but tries not to show them. Again, that's what *I* took from the story.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Oct 2007 00:54:04
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  01:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took the fact that Danillo was going to be gone for a few years and Khelben got a painful look on his face when he said that wasn't much in the way of an Archmage's life. For me, I took that to mean that Khelben had some inkling of his upcoming death and knew that he couldn't tip off Dannilo but that they would never see each other again.

Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  06:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you should re-read the section re the niece being "offered up" to the demon. It wasn't supposed to turn out that way.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  16:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

I think you should re-read the section re the niece being "offered up" to the demon. It wasn't supposed to turn out that way.

The Swordsage

Agreed, although Renwick should have known better.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I got that he didn't intend for her to become the host for demon spawn.

But she did, and that's what matters.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000