Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 War of the Spider Queen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  23:27:47  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Right. I'm coming to the end of 'Realms of the Elves' and I've got all six novels in the 'War of the Spider Queen' series sitting on the shelf. The thought of committing to a six-part series is ever so slightly daunting, particularly as I'm not a major fan of drow particularly (although I liked the Liriel Baenre books an awful lot and the recent RAS short in 'Realms of the Elves' really impressed me). I therefore have two questions:

1) Is it worth reading the series? (Bear in mind, if it helps you answer the question, that I've also got the 'Year of Rogue Dragons' series, the Erevis Cale trilogy and the House of Serpents trilogy all untouched on the shelf. Oh, and the 'Return of the Archwizards' series too, for that matter...)

2) Are there any other series or individual novels I should read prior to starting?

I don't usually make these kind of posts as I'm usually content to dip in more or less randomly as my fancy takes me, but this is a pretty big commitment here and I'm genuinely undecided. A big thing for me is how well the characters are done - are they likeable, well-drawn with believable motivations, for example?

Your comments and advice are very welcome.

Regards!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  23:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Return of the Archwizards takes place first chronologically (I think). So I would read that first. Make sure you read Shadows Witness from the Sembia series before you read the Ervis Cale trilogy, though IMO you don't really need to read any of the other Sembia series, they do have tidbits that are alluded to in the Ervis Cale trilogy. Also, Return of the Archwizards has implications on the next trilogy of Ervis Cale novels (the third which has yet to be published). I have not read the War of the Spider Queen yet, I tried once but couldn't make it through the first book. I need to try again sometime, but there are so many FR novels that I have not had the money to buy in the past three years.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you'd ask me, I'd say you should read the whole series in one go. It is quite a workload, of course. Still, you will get to know the writing style of six authors, so you have a better picture when deciding on future novels. And while reading the sixtet, get your hands on Shadowbred* and Shadowstorm* too, so you can go on with the Erevis Cale trilogy and the Twilight Wars trilogy (= *) that comes thereafter. and when you have finished this, in May 2008, you'll have the final novel of the latter series, Shadowrealm* ready in the bookshelves ;)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  04:26:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that a lot of people have raved about how much they enjoyed the War of the Spider Queen. Because of that, it is possible I went into the series expecting too much... I didn't dislike the books, but I didn't find them all that noteworthy, either.

The Return of the Archwizards trilogy is one of those that people either love or hate. Sadly, I fall into the latter category.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  11:35:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the series on yourshelves I can add that I have read WotSQ and enjoyed it very much indeed. There where ups and downs in the series bepending on the books but overall I truely enjoyed it.

Other than that I cannot add any other advise as I have not read any of the other trilogies you named.

Hope that helps a little.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  12:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS: Well ... when it comes to FR novels, I think of Paul S. Kemp first. That shall not diminish any other author and there are quite a few really good ones about ... it's just that I like Paul's style and his presentation of the FR and D&D most.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  17:18:20  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments. They're greatly appreciated. I must admit, the Erevis Cale trilogy is tempting because 'Shadow's Witness' was so very good - the first chapter, iirc, in particular was drenched in the kind of cold sweat horror that only rarely appears in Realms fiction. Many of the WotSQ writers I'm already familiar through other novels - I already know Smedman, Kemp, Baker, Reid and Byers can write - I've read enough of their Realms stuff already.

Right, I'm gonna plunge in anyway. I will, of course, be alternating them with other single novels (I've got a rogue, two fighters, three priests and four wizards to encounter, for a start :) ), so, if I feel too 'drowed out', I'll get a bit of respite here and there.

Okie-dokie.

Thanks a bunch!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  17:52:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! A rouge series novel! You should check out the thread Rouge series than for guidence.

Some of those series novels are really great works. I especially like them for their non_RSE content!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  18:37:13  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Oh! A rouge series novel! You should check out the thread Rouge series than for guidence.

Well, I like a bit of make-up on a lady as much as the next man.

But, yes, I quite agree - I really enjoyed 'The Alabaster Staff' especially. 'The Yellow Silk' is the one I've got left. And it's by an author I haven't read before...

All the best!

JDD

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand the trepidation about reading 6 drow books in a row. I'm the type of person who would break that up with some other books, myself.

I've read the first 2 books in the WotSQ series so far. I'll read the others eventually, but I can't say I'm dying to finish the series. It's possible to get "drowed out", and I've heard that the series ends up amounting to...not much in terms of story.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

PS: Well ... when it comes to FR novels, I think of Paul S. Kemp first. That shall not diminish any other author and there are quite a few really good ones about ... it's just that I like Paul's style and his presentation of the FR and D&D most.

The fact that he wrote one of the novels is why I think I will end up reading the series eventually.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000