Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Once Around the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  22:52:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I'm re-reading some of my older FR books, hoping to recapture some of the magic that first drew me in.

I've started Once around the Realms, and it's not nearly as 'charming' as it was when I knew less.

Anyhow, everyone in the novel prays to 'Eo' -- is that a reference to Ao, and if so then why is he being referenced so often?!

So who is this, or why is it mispelled (repeatedly), and if it is merely Ao mispelled why is it that everyone in the Realms prays to this one being?

I understand the novel is supposed to be 'tongue-in-cheek', but this is just plain outright innacuracy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2007 21:01:55

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  23:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eo, Io, and Ao are old drinking buddies, right?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  00:27:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Eo, Io, and Ao are old drinking buddies, right?

I guess so...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  00:56:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, there are the lost brothers, Oo, Uo, and sometimes Yo.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  01:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And let's not forget the demipower of Mishaps, Uh-oh.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  01:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're just big fans of Michael Jackson. Captain EO and all.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  01:39:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

They're just big fans of Michael Jackson. Captain EO and all.

See, I didn't know whether to make the Micheal Jackson joke or the vowel joke, so I have to thank Murray for having my back on this one . . .
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  11:38:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even getting irritated by Once Around the Realms is pointless. That book has very few redeeming qualities, even as satire.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  13:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably good as a way to visit many of the realms in one book.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  16:31:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC also lists it as noncanon, unlike the Double Diamond events, unless Brian changed that by adding material from the novel into the Grand History. Peers at Brian.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  16:37:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remeber does the book also reference the Overgod most high...

EiEiO ???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  21:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eeeah Eeeeah Nyalartothep...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  01:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

WOTC also lists it as noncanon, unlike the Double Diamond events, unless Brian changed that by adding material from the novel into the Grand History. Peers at Brian.

Negative. I included no events from Once Around the Realms into the Grand History.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  02:02:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Negative. I included no events from Once Around the Realms into the Grand History.

Groovy. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  12:11:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you very, very much .
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  13:06:28  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do they have an actual published list?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  13:26:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they do. See here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  21:01:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished it a few days ago.

I remember enjoying it the first time around, when I barely new much about the Realms. It didn't seem anywhere near as good now that I actually know stuff.

Anyhow, I got most of the (satirical) references, except the following. Any help on what they relate to?

Gherri, Aahnnie, and Modesti - The Tabaxi warriors who invented the parachute.

Aleekhan and Sammhie - The two Khans from the Hordelands.

There are at least four normal sailing vessels named in the book - I was going to add them to our list of known FR ships, but should I bother if they aren't canon?

Also, I figured a way of 'fixing' a least a couple of the weird things in the book. Would that just be considered a total waste of time?

Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  21:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Geronimo, a battle-cry used by paratroopers circa WWII. Sounds similar when you string all three names together.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:04:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the book when it came out. I took it it as a spoof to serious realms lore with RW similarities. I remember one such comparision to the A-team. If I have to explain the A-team, I am getting way too old. it was entertaining for what it was.

Edited by - scererar on 10 Oct 2007 03:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  05:20:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never watched the A-team; not a single episode - EVER.

quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

quote:

Geronimo, a battle-cry used by paratroopers circa WWII. Sounds similar when you string all three names together.

OMG - that's awful!

Perhaps worse then the Fantasy Island and Gilligan's Island references.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  06:49:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouf, I had forgotten about that one. I seem to remember that being the place where I degraded the book to dust collector.
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  22:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall Maztica being described like Fantasy Island...

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  03:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Perhaps worse then the Fantasy Island and Gilligan's Island references.

Since you've read it recently, I seem to remember a Jaws reference as well, did I make that up? Almost as bad as Once Around the Realms was the ridiculos prologue to Realms of Magic, with Volo peddling his Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, the Revised, Authorized, & Expanded Edition to Justin Tyme. Silly, just plain silly.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  03:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are at least four normal sailing vessels named in the book - I was going to add them to our list of known FR ships, but should I bother if they aren't canon?

Also, I figured a way of 'fixing' a least a couple of the weird things in the book. Would that just be considered a total waste of time?

Personally, I try to pretend this book doesn't exist.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  04:28:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aleekhan and Sammhie - The two Khans from the Hordelands.

"Salaam aleikum" is an Islamic greeting that means "Peace be with you" or "Peace be upon you". Which it is depends on the translation; "aleikum" seems to have many variant spellings, as well.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  05:33:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there was a Jaws refernce, along with refernces to hundreds of other very un-Realmsian things.

Speaking of "FR weirdnesses" - Are the comics considered canon? I know the video games and Double diamond books aren't, yet much of their lore has made it into the canon Realms.

How about the article in Dragon #228 - Gangsters of the Underdark? It's an April issue, but I thought all things in Dragon were considered canon?

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2007 01:35:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  05:50:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comics are canon, since there are references in the Realmslore that pertain to certain aspects of the comics themselves -- like NPCs for example. And we've seen Steven Schend make an effort to include some of the material from the AD&D comics into his crafted Realmslore -- like the character of Kyriani for example, who is now a Lord of Waterdeep. And this from Steven himself -

"As the guy who used to be the liaison and approvals guy for TSR and the AD&D comic with Kim Yale (may she rest in peace) at DC, I can say unequivocally that the events and characters are all canonical.

Steven
who also led the charge to move the characters into the game material as well..."

And it would appear WotC assumes some parts of the "Double Diamond" novels as canon [or at least will be], given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerūn. WotC tell us that when the timeline reaches 1377 DR, some form of those novels will become canon.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  06:13:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, there was a Jaws refernce, along with refernces to hundreds of other very un-Realmsian things.

Speaking of "FR weirdnesses" - Are the comics considered canon? I know the video games and Double diamond books aren't, yet much of their lore has made it into the canon Realms.

How about the article in Dragon #228 - {i]Gangsters of the Underdark[/i]? It's an April issue, but I thought all things in Dragon were considered canon?

Not completely sure about this, but I always thought that the April issues (not just that article)of Dragon was optional in the highest degree and used at own risk.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  11:12:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

How about the article in Dragon #228 - Gangsters of the Underdark? It's an April issue, but I thought all things in Dragon were considered canon?

Not completely sure about this, but I always thought that the April issues (not just that article)of Dragon was optional in the highest degree and used at own risk.

There were some serious articles in April Dragons, but most of them were obvious jokes.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Nov 2007 11:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  19:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And it would appear WotC assumes some parts of the "Double Diamond" novels as canon [or at least will be], given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerūn. WotC tell us that when the timeline reaches 1377 DR, some form of those novels will become canon.

Was there any mention of events from the Double Diamond Triangle Saga in the GhoTR?

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000