Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spider Climb Spell Component vs Lloth's Dogma
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  15:22:20  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A friend of mine pointed this out to me and I find it interesting that this is the only spell component required in the spell, besides bitumen. The caster must eat a live spider, as per the spell requirements. Now, here is where it gets interesting.

Lloth's Dogma demands that no spiders are to be harmed. Well, if a Drow of Lloth casts this spell, the caster is harming a spider that is sacred to Lloth. What would happen if a Priestess or High Priestess or a wizard were to cast this spell, what would happen to them?? Would they remain living or would they face the wrath of Lloth??

Your comments and thoughts??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  15:58:04  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wouldn't it be easier on you to allow a special component alternative. surely lloth would want this spell on her worshipper's lists. maybe the caster could have a spider focus for such spells.

just a thought.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  16:39:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minor components really do not matter, it could be considered fluff (not important). Just house rule spider not required.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  16:44:29  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not what the spell states. It states that a live spider must be eaten. Also, I don't see a spider as a 'minor' component in a Lloth governed city.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - Drakul on 01 Oct 2007 17:11:51
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  16:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or just have the Lolthites developing a new version of the spell, which doesn't require the consumption of a spider.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  17:14:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Thats not what the spell states. It states that a live spider must be eaten.

I know what the spell says, all I am saying because the component is readily available you can ignore it. As far as the game goes rare components matter, not common ones.

quote:
Usually you don’t worry about components, but when you can’t use a component for some reason or when a material or focus component is expensive, then the components are important.

Call it a design flaw that requires Drow to eat a live spider and ignore the requirement in your game. If you really desire a spider, change it to a dead one of which Lolth would be less upset with *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  19:04:35  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Call it a design flaw that requires Drow to eat a live spider and ignore the requirement in your game. If you really desire a spider, change it to a dead one of which Lolth would be less upset with *wink*

I can see dead spiders being a bit of a dicey trade. Going around looking for them (and resisting the temptation to hasten the process) sounds like one of the most tedious chores ever.

Or maybe one could argue that since material components are "consumed" in the process of casting, the spider goes off to Spider Heaven (AKA the Demonweb Pits) before it's actually "harmed" by stomach acid or what have you.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  19:26:29  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would certainly believe that there is a 'special version' of this spell for drow. I cannot imagine that they were unable to develop a spell with alternative componants (such as a small lizard or the likes) but the same spell effects in the many years they live under Lolth dogma.

I will look through the sourcebooks of earlier editions and see if I can find anything interesting.....

Edit notes:
1. I just thought about something: due to their (once inherited) ability to levitate most drow had no need of that spell. You see the point?!?!

2. It might be the case that magic-users do not care so much for Lolth dogma after all......

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Oct 2007 19:55:17
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  19:54:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2nd Ed. Sourcebook Drow of the Underdark features the drow cleric variant of the spider climb spell, p. 58:

"The version of spider climb used by drow priestesses is a slight improvement over the widely-known wizards spell. Bare hands and feet are required, and the affected creature moves at MV 9 (6 if at all encumbered). Movement is silent, unless loose rock, etc. is dislodged. Objects that weigh less than 1 pound will stick to the effected being's hands and feet for the spell duration, making certain types of spellcasting virtually impossible.
The effect can be prematurely ended by the caster, by pronunciation of a word (if the affected being is not the caster, the caster must be within a range of 10ft/level for the word to have any effect). Sufficient force will tear a spider climbing being away from the surface he is clinging to; the DM must determine what occurs according to the situation.
Unlike the wizardly equivalent of this spell, no material components are required. If the caster is the recipient of the spell, its duration can be (by silent will) stopped and started; i.e., a climber who reaches a ledge can 'turn off' the effect and sleep, cast other spells, and engage in other activities, 'turning on' the spider climb later in order to climb down.
This option is not available to recipient creatures other than the caster. Such beings must be touched for the caster to transfer the magic to them. This can be done at any time during the life of the spell; i.e. a priest can spider climb for a time, touch another being, and by will transfer the remaining time of the ability to that other being. If a being is unwilling to be affected, a saving throw vs. spell is allowed, to negate the effect (this ends the spell immediately)."

According to this ("Unlike the wizardly equivalent") there actually seems to be no other variant of this spell for drow. Otherwise they certainly would have mentioned it in the book, IMHO.

However, the book features two wizard spells that might be useful when the spider climb spell is no option:
- Darkwings, 3rd lvl spell, an 'alter self' variant which can be cast on any one creature allowing poor flight with bat-like wings.
- Skyhook, 2nd lvl spell, creates a climbing hook of magical force, which roots itself anywhere the caster desires even in mid air, supporting up to 700 lbs.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Oct 2007 20:01:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000