Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  04:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can I make the map bigger on my screen? I can't really read it (but thanks for sharing, Brian).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

How can I make the map bigger on my screen? I can't really read it (but thanks for sharing, Brian).
Yes, trying to read the text would be quite difficult. The intent was merely to show the position of Returned Abeir in relation to western Faerűn.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  16:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened to Katashaka? It seems odd that they used your name for it in the GHotR and then removed it in the 4e Realms. Daft if you ask me to introduce it officially in one game supplement and then delete it in the next.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  17:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Evermeet, FRCG p.132 “An echo of the fey refuge remains in Toril as an isle with the same shape and diameter, lying off the coast of the unfamiliar continent of Returned Abeir.”
Like you Markus, I read this as Returned Abeir replacing the lands *North* of Maztica. Using the scale provided on both 4E maps, you also find that Returned Abeir isn’t all that big a place; hardly deserving the continent moniker.

Anyway, I put together a quick map I how I see the Trackless Sea in 1479 DR. You can view it at http://www.geonomicon.com/realms/4ETracklessSea.png

I prefer your take on it Brian, but according to page 87 of the 4E FRCG it does state that the "greatest portion of the returning world, however, replaced Maztica"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  17:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, trying to read the text would be quite difficult. The intent was merely to show the position of Returned Abeir in relation to western Faerűn.

*laughs* Well, thanks anyway.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  18:32:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

quote:
Evermeet, FRCG p.132 “An echo of the fey refuge remains in Toril as an isle with the same shape and diameter, lying off the coast of the unfamiliar continent of Returned Abeir.”
Like you Markus, I read this as Returned Abeir replacing the lands *North* of Maztica. Using the scale provided on both 4E maps, you also find that Returned Abeir isn’t all that big a place; hardly deserving the continent moniker.

Anyway, I put together a quick map I how I see the Trackless Sea in 1479 DR. You can view it at http://www.geonomicon.com/realms/4ETracklessSea.png

I prefer your take on it Brian, but according to page 87 of the 4E FRCG it does state that the "greatest portion of the returning world, however, replaced Maztica"

Well, that just means the biggest chunk was transposed with Maztica. It doesn't say that equal amounts were traded.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, that just means the biggest chunk was transposed with Maztica. It doesn't say that equal amounts were traded.

My reading of it is that the whole of Maztica is gone, and in its place is the (much smaller) Returned Abeir. I think in my campaign (if we ever make it to the Spellplague and I choose to use it at all) I'll have Returned Abeir North of Maztica as per Brian's map.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  20:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in the spirit of full disclosure, I still very much enjoy Maztica, so that may color my opinion of where Returned Abeir sits. The lands north of Maztica were never fleshed out in any detail before, so I see my placement as a good compromise. :) But yeah, none of this is official.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

What happened to Katashaka? It seems odd that they used your name for it in the GHotR and then removed it in the 4e Realms. Daft if you ask me to introduce it officially in one game supplement and then delete it in the next.
Well, it doesn't specifically say that Katashaka is gone. The name is even mentioned in the history section (sorry, don't have the book in front of me to provide the page number). So, just like Kara-Tur and Zakhara I say that Katashaka still exists until something explicitly says it doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  22:54:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My reading of it is that the whole of Maztica is gone, and in its place is the (much smaller) Returned Abeir. I think in my campaign (if we ever make it to the Spellplague and I choose to use it at all) I'll have Returned Abeir North of Maztica as per Brian's map.

I still don't see where it is even implied that equal landmasses were exchanged...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  01:04:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

*laughs* Well, thanks anyway.

Brian you BIG TEASE!!! Give the lady some text!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  01:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I'll do one better. See that chunk of land north of Returned Abeir. Henceforth, it shall be known as Rinonalyrna.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  16:36:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll do one better. See that chunk of land north of Returned Abeir. Henceforth, it shall be known as Rinonalyrna.

Very nice! Now what can you do about getting The Red Walker on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How the heck did I miss this?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  19:11:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

How the heck did I miss this?

Wake up woman!

I hear it is a sassy land full of bold, beautiful ladies with silver tongues....but maybe Brian can clarify the area for us?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  16:39:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...

Now you got me thinking about an Icey wasteland ruled-over by buxom women in fur bikinis!

Sort of like Norse-version Amazons!

You pretty man-thing... you make Snoo-snoo!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2008 16:40:00
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  12:16:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hmmmmm...

Now you got me thinking about an Icey wasteland ruled-over by buxom women in fur bikinis!

Sort of like Norse-version Amazons!

You pretty man-thing... you make Snoo-snoo!"

So you've been on vacation in one of the Scandinavian mountain-range ski-resorts, have you?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 06 Sep 2008 12:16:50
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  16:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you that haven't seen it yet, Ed posted a juicy Realmslore-laden post on Returned Abeir; even giving the continent a name: Laerakond. Check it out here, five posts down: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10427&whichpage=64

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  19:24:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question on Ironfang Keep on Ed's thread:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

VERRRRYYYYYY interesting. Ed checked on that particular NDA at GenCon (this year, as in: two months ago) and it was still in force (with most of a year left to run), so either someone has received quiet but official assurances that nothing will be done with Ironfang Keep before the license runs out . . . or someone at Wizards doesn't know what licenses are still out there (which will possibly annoy someone at Hasbro no end).
Let's hope, for everyone's sake, it's the former.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO

Well, let's ask.

Brian, anything you can tell us? (originally posted on Ed's scroll)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 21 Oct 2008 19:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  04:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Ashe,

At the time I was writing the Ironfang Keep article, I was informed that Ironfang Keep had not just one, but two separate NDAs covering the location for use in computer games. But these were initiated back in the TSR era and nothing ever came of them. So without anything fresh in the works, I was allowed to “play with the Keep” in Ed’s words.

Ed had already established in previous lore that the inhabitants of the Keep had been abducting beasts in the region for centuries. I took it one step further by tying these “wizards” to the Cult of the Amalgamation as seen in City of Splendors. Throw in a previously undetailed Lost God and the Dark Three for good measure and you get my very first Dragon article. Over all I’m very pleased with how it turned out.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  05:54:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Greetings Ashe,

At the time I was writing the Ironfang Keep article, I was informed that Ironfang Keep had not just one, but two separate NDAs covering the location for use in computer games. But these were initiated back in the TSR era and nothing ever came of them. So without anything fresh in the works, I was allowed to “play with the Keep” in Ed’s words.

Ed had already established in previous lore that the inhabitants of the Keep had been abducting beasts in the region for centuries. I took it one step further by tying these “wizards” to the Cult of the Amalgamation as seen in City of Splendors. Throw in a previously undetailed Lost God and the Dark Three for good measure and you get my very first Dragon article. Over all I’m very pleased with how it turned out.

A good article too! I simply always thought that Ironfang Keep would be taller somehow? I had a picture of a tall, slender, black walled structure similar to Orthanc in Middle-Earth maybe...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:31:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Not really, if you consider that the epic adventure trilogy at the end of 3E had the PCs thwarting Shar's plans to blow up the Weave, only to have her succeed in doing so offstage. "Make the PCs the focus"... except when gods are dying and the world is going somewhere in a handbasket.

Anyway, no more of that.

Brian, my question is related to the GHotR: What is going to happen to the NDAs on all that (presumably now obsolete) pre-Spellplague lore if DDi is concentrating on post-Spellplague content? My focus here is on the Cormyr royal/noble lineage document that I understand is in the care of Brian "Garen Thal" Cortijo. I've been driving him crazy with questions for a couple of weeks now, and my inquiries on your Feedback scroll and on the WotC site (where I am known as FrustratedRealmsFan) have not stimulated a reply as yet. I would like to see pre-Spellplague lore under obsolete NDAs (such as the Ironfang Keep material that you did such a great job with) released in download form on the Wizards website, and I would be willing to pay for such pre-Spellplague lore on a per-download basis; making it available through DDi will simply cause me to lose interest in the lore, rather than think about subscribing to DDi. Besides which, it is my understanding that DDi is concentrating its Realms focus on post-Spellplague (or at least post-1385) lore, and I have no interest in canonical lore from that time period. There is money to be made by Wizards in the old lore, and such old lore is one of two ways that it will be my money; the other way, of course, is a Realms reset to 1375 or earlier, but that's not happening in my lifetime, I suspect. Hopefully this material will come to light soon, one way or another... and by "light" I don't mean open flame...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakk, as a freelance designer I have no power to overturn NDAs I'm afraid. Except under very special circumstances it's unlikely you'll see any articles which focus on the previous era. Having said that, I try to include as much edition neutral lore as possible in my articles. That's the best I can offer under the current circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:50:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick response anyway. I'm not really looking for any "new" material; I would just like to see the previously-written stuff get released; I'm happy with downloadable text files, even, although I'm happier to pay for it if it's in a nicely-formatted Word or PDF document.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  11:10:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jakk, as a freelance designer I have no power to overturn NDAs I'm afraid. Except under very special circumstances it's unlikely you'll see any articles which focus on the previous era. Having said that, I try to include as much edition neutral lore as possible in my articles. That's the best I can offer under the current circumstances.

-That sounds like a great idea BR.J!!!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  21:40:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about neverwinter in 4e??

i heard some rumors about it after it was ravaged by the plague...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  01:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are you looking for exactly sfdragon?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  09:31:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i want to know if it was rebuilt, or will it be rebuilt?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  16:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though Neverwinter officially lies in ruins, I have a sneaking suspicion that the city will see a rejuvenation of some sort in the not too distant future. Bioware developers have already commented that they may base a future Neverwinter Nights game around the reconstruction/reclaiming of the city.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, do you happen to know if the Imaskari god barrier ever fell? I was wondering if it collapsed as part of the Spellplague or if it disolved prior to that, or if it survived and is still functioning? Does this have a date? Or has it happened yet?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000