Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  02:28:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And an amazing job you guys did too!

I have yet another question regarding the GHotR though:

I am only guessing when I ask this, but did you have to leave out lots of information for the purpose of a set number of pages available for publication? If you did have to leave out information about various things...is there any chance it could come to light? Specifically concerning the Moonsea, Zhentarim and other areas in and around the Moonsea like Thar?

I'm primarily curious out of a desire to have as much information available as possible before I start a 1st Edition AD&D game in Melvaunt...I don't want to conflict with the "past" of prior to 1357 DR.

Thanks again for all the great work guys!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As George has already intimated, 376 DR is the correct date for Azoun's victory, and this did, in fact, occur while he was Crown Prince (not as king). The scene from Cormyr: A Novel--set in that same year--takes place just days before Azoun sets out on his campaign against Valashar.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  13:20:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

And an amazing job you guys did too!

I have yet another question regarding the GHotR though:

I am only guessing when I ask this, but did you have to leave out lots of information for the purpose of a set number of pages available for publication? If you did have to leave out information about various things...is there any chance it could come to light? Specifically concerning the Moonsea, Zhentarim and other areas in and around the Moonsea like Thar?

I'm primarily curious out of a desire to have as much information available as possible before I start a 1st Edition AD&D game in Melvaunt...I don't want to conflict with the "past" of prior to 1357 DR.

Thanks again for all the great work guys!

Brian's the guru but my impression was that, if anything, the font size and word/page count was stretched to accomodate everything that we could come up with. To my knowledge there weren't any chunks of history or dates that didn't make it in the end. That said, I would have personally loved another 3-4 weeks to give the final timeline a thorough go through to catch most if not all of the inevitable snafus and fill in a few more holes. Heck, it would have been nice to know that the product was happening a year in advance so even more hitherto unrevealed history could have been put in. I guess we'll all have to wait for GHotR II.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

As George has already intimated, 376 DR is the correct date for Azoun's victory, and this did, in fact, occur while he was Crown Prince (not as king). The scene from Cormyr: A Novel--set in that same year--takes place just days before Azoun sets out on his campaign against Valashar.

You mean the scene where Amedahast decides that Azoun is a jerk who toys with people's hearts?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

You mean the scene where Amedahast decides that Azoun is a jerk who toys with people's hearts?

That one, indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:45:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Cormyr Reckoning and Dale Reckoning... Were those two things deliberately different, or was Cormyr Reckoning something created to fix an "oops"?

CR threw me for a while, since the family tree in The Wyvern's Spur uses CR dates, but that book is explicitly set in the Year of the Shadows, which is 1358, not 1333, as listed in the family tree.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  18:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Speaking of Cormyr Reckoning and Dale Reckoning... Were those two things deliberately different, or was Cormyr Reckoning something created to fix an "oops"?

CR threw me for a while, since the family tree in The Wyvern's Spur uses CR dates, but that book is explicitly set in the Year of the Shadows, which is 1358, not 1333, as listed in the family tree.
CR actually predates a lot of "oopses" ("oopsi?"), but it's a pretty handy tool for fixing lore conflicts that just involve stretching the timeline.

As for the Wyvernspur family tree, the timing had a snag (Giogi and his generation would have been far too old for the book), which CR was able to fix. An updated and corrected family tree can be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That one, indeed.

Thanks for the clarification.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  18:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found out today that the Grand History has made it as a semifinalist for the 2008 Origin Awards. Needless to say this news is quite exciting for me. It definitely feels great to know that others appreciate your work. A great big thanks to all of you that supported the Grand History over the years, and to Candlekeep in particular. You guys rock!

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/04/22/14028

It's nominated in the Publication, Non-fiction category. Odd eh?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 24 Apr 2008 18:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:25:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As one of the first people* to spread the word to both this and the WotC forum about the original pdf, I'm quite happy to see your work get nominated for such an honor!

*and possibly the first person to spread the word!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Apr 2008 19:26:48
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  21:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  21:41:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Congrats from me as well!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:34:28  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I can shed some light on that. I've helped the OA people sort out the categories over the years. Grand History is not a narrative piece of fiction and not a game accessory intended primarily for use in play. It's really about the Realms and its history, so that makes it game-related non-fiction.

Oh, and congrats, sir.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 24 Apr 2008 22:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:47:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Brian...

See, folks from here in Montana can be recognized for what they do...even if lots of folks don't know WHERE Montana is!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  23:30:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

even if lots of folks don't know WHERE Montana is!

...Or care.

I jest, of course. Montana is one of the few states in the continental US that I still need to visit.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  02:19:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A great big thanks to all of you that supported the Grand History over the years, and to Candlekeep in particular. You guys rock!
Congratulations to you Brian. It has been a honour to host what has become such an importance reference source for the online Realms community.

Like Wooly, I was among the few* who regularly directed interested peoples from across many different Forums, to your original PDF compilation here at Candlekeep.

I wish you the very best for all your future efforts on behalf of the Realms online community.

* though, I actually consider myself the first to spread the word, at least, beyond Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2008 02:19:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  03:09:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

* though, I actually consider myself the first to spread the word, at least, beyond Candlekeep.

I was spreading the word on the WotC forums before I came over here!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  04:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It definitely feels great to know that others appreciate your work. A great big thanks to all of you that supported the Grand History over the years, and to Candlekeep in particular. You guys rock!

A great big thank to YOU ! You make us dream.
Congratulations to you and "Merde" about the following events.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  04:09:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was spreading the word on the WotC forums before I came over here!

Suuure you were.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  04:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  08:40:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:

I can shed some light on that. I've helped the OA people sort out the categories over the years. Grand History is not a narrative piece of fiction and not a game accessory intended primarily for use in play. It's really about the Realms and its history, so that makes it game-related non-fiction.

Oh, and congrats, sir.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

I seem to recall that this sort of reasoning has also led to "The Map of Ankh-Morpork" topping one or two non-fiction bestseller lists.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  10:06:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:

Oh, and congrats, sir.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

I seem to recall that this sort of reasoning has also led to "The Map of Ankh-Morpork" topping one or two non-fiction bestseller lists.

Indeed. In fact, I recall Pratchett himself expressing the same type of confusion that Brian displayed above, when he first heard the news.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  15:44:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian - Well deserved, and I hope you win. Your tome will probably be known as the 'last great Hurrah' of the Old Realms, and it is a an excellent 'finishing piece' for the setting we love.

quote:

I jest, of course. Montana is one of the few states in the continental US that I still need to visit.
I feel the sdame way...

I've always wanted to see a "Dental Floss Tycoon" up close and personal.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:09:31  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Indeed. In fact, I recall Pratchett himself expressing the same type of confusion that Brian displayed above, when he first heard the news.

I'm interested to hear how everyone thinks it should be classified.

As I said, the reasoning goes: Grand History doesn't have a traditional narrative line or presentation, so it isn't fiction, at least as the OAs have traditionally defined it. And the OAs tend to take the lead given by the publisher, as far as determining product intent; WotC very clearly says the product is not a game supplement. It's right there on the company web page about the book.

So Grand History appears intended as a reference book for both gamers and Realms fiction fans. Given the way the categories are defined, non-fiction's the best fit.

This has an upside. The book's not competing against The Orc King in fiction or Castlemourn in the game category, and the classification gets the Realms into another OA category.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 25 Apr 2008 17:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Twizz Stonefist
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  07:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Twizz Stonefist's Homepage Send Twizz Stonefist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead (D&D Supplement) (Hardcover)
by Bruce R. Cordell (Author), Eytan Bernstein (Author), Brian R. James (Author)
This title will be released on January 20, 2009.
I love amazon for info on his Secret Project.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  17:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You caught me!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  18:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You caught me!

Ye can't hide behind the NDA shield here, Brian

Congratulations again. I'm very happy to see that developments are continuing for you

Now...what's it all about?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  14:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, the product has not yet been announced by Wizards, so there is precious little I can say about it at this time. This was, however, my first big chance to get my hands dirty with the 4E ruleset and I’ll admit that it was at once both thrilling and nerve-racking (got to make those deadlines! ) I’ll be able to reveal more in the coming weeks.

Edit: Wizards posted the cover art, which can be seen here: http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_dndacc_9780786950690_xlgpic.jpg

Edited by - Brian R. James on 26 Jun 2008 19:27:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Officially, the product has not yet been announced by Wizards, so there is precious little I can say about it at this time. This was, however, my first big chance to get my hands dirty with the 4E ruleset and I’ll admit that it was at once both thrilling and nerve-racking (got to make those deadlines! ) I’ll be able to reveal more in the coming weeks.

Edit: Wizards posted the cover art, which can be seen here: http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_dndacc_9780786950690_xlgpic.jpg

Is that Vecna himself on the cover?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  19:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why yes, I believe it is. Vecna is the preeminent bad guy in Open Grave.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that Vecna himself on the cover?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page