Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  03:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I think the Varm are a tribe now...

Centuries past The Ride was indeed known as the Varm, named after the predominate tribe of horse nomads in the region. Today the Varm tribe is greatly diminished, their numbers ever lessened by more aggressive tribes like the Vaegould. Despite their current ill fortune, the Varm remain the only trueblood descendants of the progenitor culture which founded the Citadel of the Raven.

So, yes the Varm is both a geographic location and the name of a human tribe with a storied legacy.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  03:37:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wait...the Varm are "pureblood" of the original race eh?

Sweet! I nailed that one on the head...

Now...what about these Horreb eh?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  16:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm impressed by all the research you're doing for The Ride Dalor. I look forward to reading your work on the region when it's completed. As to your PM (which I cannot respond to because my Candlekeep mailbox is full), I have no plans currently to write anything more for the region. Though at some point I'd welcome an opportunity to write a sequel to Monument of the Ancients.

As to the Horreb: I like the path your following with the Thri-kreen and the Spellweavers. I'd also suggest to you that the Horreb likely had contact with the empires of Mulhorand and/or Unther. I envision the pyramid on Sorceror's Isle being an embassy of sorts within Horreb controlled lands.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:13:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm impressed by all the research you're doing for The Ride Dalor. I look forward to reading your work on the region when it's completed. As to your PM (which I cannot respond to because my Candlekeep mailbox is full), I have no plans currently to write anything more for the region. Though at some point I'd welcome an opportunity to write a sequel to Monument of the Ancients.

As to the Horreb: I like the path your following with the Thri-kreen and the Spellweavers. I'd also suggest to you that the Horreb likely had contact with the empires of Mulhorand and/or Unther. I envision the pyramid on Sorceror's Isle being an embassy of sorts within Horreb controlled lands.

I had thought about the origins of the Pyramid too...especially because it is metallic.

Then I found this in Dragon #338 concerning the Spellweavers:

quote:

"...In this forgotten time, the Spellweaver empire consisted of a vast league of colonies, called nodes, which spanned the multi-verse. Huge pyramids of stone and steel..."

Now, the pyramid on sorcerers isle isn't as massive as these; but it goes on in the article to speak about the collapse of the empire and the left behind remnants founding small enclaves.

I've considered the origins of the Spellweavers heavily, and the Thri-Kreen as to how they are intertwined, and I think I've come to a wonderful idea.

More soon for all. The ideas have meshed and coalesced, so now I just have to fine tune the writing.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:40:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SNIP...... As to your PM (which I cannot respond to because my Candlekeep mailbox is full),

Brian,

Markus, The Sage or another scribe gave me a cheat around the full box. Just click on the scrbes name , them click to send them a pm and it will let you send one regardless of how many pm's are stuffed in your inbox!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  19:04:36  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I had thought about the origins of the Pyramid too...especially because it is metallic.

Then I found this in Dragon #338 concerning the Spellweavers:

quote:

"...In this forgotten time, the Spellweaver empire consisted of a vast league of colonies, called nodes, which spanned the multi-verse. Huge pyramids of stone and steel..."

Now, the pyramid on sorcerers isle isn't as massive as these; but it goes on in the article to speak about the collapse of the empire and the left behind remnants founding small enclaves.

I've considered the origins of the Spellweavers heavily, and the Thri-Kreen as to how they are intertwined, and I think I've come to a wonderful idea.

More soon for all. The ideas have meshed and coalesced, so now I just have to fine tune the writing.

The pyramid on Sorcerer’s Isle may be bigger than it looks. There could be hidden levels leading deeper into the earth or the hidden levels could be residing on a pocket plane. Yarash spent most of his time building large equipment then running mutation experiments. So it could be possible he never had a chance to fully explore the place. Or maybe he has fully explored it. We really don’t know how deep the machinery went in the game.
Some extra information you probably don’t need to know: I believe Yarash experimentations on the lizardmen came from old scrolls from one of the Creator Races. (the Sarrukh)

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  20:20:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny you mention that!

I had thought that it could only be the tip of the iceberg!

I don't want to muck up Brian's area; so I'll start a new thread.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  04:43:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian,

You wrote the bit on Vaasa, and you and your brother Matt wrote the Monument of the Ancients adventure; so I thought this would be a good one for you:

The Vercy Wood. What can you tell me about it. Pre-Spellplague it did not exist at all...so I'm guessing it is a woodland of new growth that has grown over the past hundred years OR it is a magical wood of some sort that sprang up. What have ye fine sage?

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  23:44:43  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... possibly Tyranthraxus (though the details of that entity's subjugation haven't seen print yet).

Wonder if Bane's name had been Baron Schodt long ago.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  23:50:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

quote:
... possibly Tyranthraxus (though the details of that entity's subjugation haven't seen print yet).

Wonder if Bane's name had been Baron Schodt long ago.

Man...I tell you what...you are really thinking outside the box today Rhewtani!

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  22:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

[quote]Originally posted by Brian R. James
Brian,

Markus, The Sage or another scribe gave me a cheat around the full box. Just click on the scrbes name, them click to send them a pm and it will let you send one regardless of how many pm's are stuffed in your inbox!

Thanks for that kind sir. That "feature" has been driving me nuts!

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  22:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Vercy Wood. What can you tell me about it. Pre-Spellplague it did not exist at all...so I'm guessing it is a woodland of new growth that has grown over the past hundred years OR it is a magical wood of some sort that sprang up. What have ye fine sage?

You could look at it in one of two ways. A) The woods have always been there, just never before appeared on a map of the region B) The woods appeared sometime over the last hundred years, possibly as a result of the Spellplague.

The reason why the woods appear on the Monument of the Ancients map is because they also appear on the 4E Campaign Guide map. As far as unpublished lore on the Vercy Woods? Nope. I have none. Feel free to expand upon it as you wish.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  23:24:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

SNIP...... As to your PM (which I cannot respond to because my Candlekeep mailbox is full),

Brian,

Markus, The Sage or another scribe gave me a cheat around the full box. Just click on the scrbes name , them click to send them a pm and it will let you send one regardless of how many pm's are stuffed in your inbox!

That would be me.

When you've been a die-hard gamer as long as I have, you learn a LOT about cheating at stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:04:12  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have lore for it including it's namesake. It revolves around a Gnoll tribe that inhabits the area.

Edited by - Matt James on 08 Dec 2010 01:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:13:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do tell.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:35:07  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Do tell.

Well it's not official but I can do a write-up if you want. I wanted to expand upon it in a Realmslore article but never got the chance.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is a master timeline of all revealed events that occurred during the Spellplague publicly available? Or is that just for DDI subscribers?

There was a great article that, I believe, Brian or Matt wrote on the WOTC site a few years back entitled "The Spellplague: The Wailing Years", which gave a good overall summary of the event. But now it appears to have been swallowed up by DDI. Even an attempt to use the Wayback Machine to find an archived version of the page leads to a DDI wall.

I'm mainly looking for an official source to link to regarding the Spellplague's start and end for my Drizzt Chronology. The Ghost King and "Iruladoon" both tie in closely with the event, and I want to be able to point to external online documents, if possible.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  17:07:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

So is a master timeline of all revealed events that occurred during the Spellplague publicly available? Or is that just for DDI subscribers?

There was a great article that, I believe, Brian or Matt wrote on the WOTC site a few years back entitled "The Spellplague: The Wailing Years", which gave a good overall summary of the event. But now it appears to have been swallowed up by DDI. Even an attempt to use the Wayback Machine to find an archived version of the page leads to a DDI wall.

I'm mainly looking for an official source to link to regarding the Spellplague's start and end for my Drizzt Chronology. The Ghost King and "Iruladoon" both tie in closely with the event, and I want to be able to point to external online documents, if possible.

From over in the Previous Edition Downloads scroll:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

From the Wayback Machine (remember to copy & paste starting at http, the link info doesn't work because of the nature of the link):

Countdown to the Realms
Magic of the Realms - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080217023703/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a&pf=true
Spellplague: The Wailing Years - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080304014127/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&pf=true
Year of the Ageless One - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080310195729/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a&pf=true

I linked to the Printer Friendly versions so it saves on ink. If you want, email me through my account here with your email address and I can send you the PDF copies I made.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  06:03:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Do tell.

Well it's not official but I can do a write-up if you want. I wanted to expand upon it in a Realmslore article but never got the chance.

Don't feel constrained by having to have great ideas be "official" because none of us do! LOL

Seriously, share what you can!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 Dec 2010 06:05:45
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  13:59:38  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to ink up Brian's scroll too much. Maybe I'll put it in another section or we can petition Sage to give me a scroll to use.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  04:43:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for you having a scroll...I don't see why you shouldn't when you've obviously authored canon material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  05:15:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I don't want to ink up Brian's scroll too much. Maybe I'll put it in another section or we can petition Sage to give me a scroll to use.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  07:22:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

From over in the Previous Edition Downloads scroll

Thanks for those links, Ashe. I'm glad that at least you were able to kick the Wayback Machine and get it to work!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  08:25:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or see my sig...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  21:50:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question Bryan, did your word document of the Grand History
have more entries in it than the published Grand History had?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  00:25:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, No - more was added to the printed version.

The only parts 'left out' were the nifty color-coding (by region), and some of his speculative work pertaining to Toril's 'pre-history', which prologued the timeline in his original work.

Bryan's timeline was 100% drawn from canon sources, and I believe they left all of that intact.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2011 17:59:28
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  02:19:48  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, thats nice. I felt like I missed something because I thought
a lot in the book would end up on the cutting room floor.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  05:26:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know of at least one entry in the pdf Grand History that didn't make it to the printed version. I happened to find one when I was consulting both sources for something.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Feb 2011 05:28:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  18:14:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? Would you care to elaborate?

I thought only his pre-history stuff was left-out (being homebrew), and even a good chunk of that remained in (the stuff Gray theorized, I believe).

A lot did wind-up on the 'cutting room floor', from what I understand, but i was lead to believe it was all newer material.

I'd love to see an expanded, leather-bound version with all that stuff put back in, and maybe a bit more.

They can leave out all the stuff on Seros... seriously... it has ZERO impact on 99.9% of the games out there, and unless you read that specific series of novels, it also matters NOT AT ALL to non-gaming fans of the Realms. What a major waste of space that was - they should have put it all in a WE and kept more juicy bits in.

And NEW artwork.... PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

My stomache still turns when I see the Warforged (I can't turn the page fast enough). And no more "this is what Storm would look like if her hair were blonde", and "This is what Gondegal's armor looked like", or "here's a pebble that Elminster once walked past".

Okay, that last one was an exaggeration, but you get the point. If cows could read, even their intelligence would have been insulted by those captions.

Anyhow, I would still like to know what previous-canon entries were left out, and what was behind those decisions. There were quite a few that could have been left out (like ALL the Seros material), so I have to wonder at the reasoning behind whatever cuts were made.

In other words, were certain 'holes' left in-place so that future plans could over-write past lore without contradicting the GHotR?

And Bryan - make them get to work on my leather-bound, 'Director's Cut' edition.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2011 18:34:50
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  21:50:22  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed some elven items that didn't make the
book, but they weren't real important except to
a devoted Elfquest gamemaster like me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000