Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abbreviations and Acronyms (2nd edition)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  18:46:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can invent or guess other works then Away From Keyboard if just seeing the letters then not seeing a person post for a while. Most of the time I use BRB.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  22:21:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Ah, I love hearing stories of children getting into their gaming universe! My son is two and a half, and loves playing around my with my backgammon board because he see's me and my father playing it (my dad likes old school Avalon Hill wargames a lot, but not D&D and all that), but I cannot wait to get him into D&D and more!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2021 :  15:22:14  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One I've noticed in common use at the Wiki,

SCAG: Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2024 :  21:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other day I mindblanked on how to read the old stat blocks, for example (NE hm F9/T7: Dex 17, Cha 16). Neutral Evil, human male, level 9 Fighter, level 7 thief, Dexterity of 17, Charisma of 16. I think I remembered most after a bit of effort:

(<AL> <race><sex> <class><level/<class><level>: <ability><score>)

Really it was the race and class abbreviations.

h = human
e = elf
1/2e = half-elf
d = dwarf
1/2 = halfling
o = orc
1/2o = half-orc
g = gnome???

F = fighter
T = thief
M = mage
C = cleric
P = priest
D = druid

Can't remember if Barbarian, Cavalier, Paladin, Assassin, Monk, Ranger, Bard hand their own.

Maybe others can further elaborate.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2024 :  22:42:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those abbreviations were first a "thing" in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover (p.69) - which was the advent of 2E and so no more cavaliers, assassins, and - for a time - barbarians and monks. Rangers were "R", Bards were "B" and paladins were "Pal". I've always used "M" for monks and "Ba" for barbarians. Gnome was indeed "g". I always use "ho" for half-orcs and halflings were "half", although I use "ha". Half elves were "he". If you want 5E equivalents download the free preview of my "Beckoning Road" article at the DMs Guild. Heck, buy the whole thing. Best 3-star product you ever saw according to my sole reviewer.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2024 :  13:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Those abbreviations were first a "thing" in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover (p.69) - which was the advent of 2E and so no more cavaliers, assassins, and - for a time - barbarians and monks. Rangers were "R", Bards were "B" and paladins were "Pal". I've always used "M" for monks and "Ba" for barbarians. Gnome was indeed "g". I always use "ho" for half-orcs and halflings were "half", although I use "ha". Half elves were "he". If you want 5E equivalents download the free preview of my "Beckoning Road" article at the DMs Guild. Heck, buy the whole thing. Best 3-star product you ever saw according to my sole reviewer.

-- George Krashos

Ha. That review did inspire me to go move the location of Shevel on my Rashemen map (and my in-progress Faerun 5E map).
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2024 :  01:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I appreciate the clarifications. I also picked up a copy. I'll leave feedback in the DMsGuild scroll.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000