Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A strange question, regarding spells.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  10:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can a mage ore a priest make lees damage then rolled, and that way chose how much damage to give others.

Example

10 level Santa Pope cast a Fire ball 10d6 and he fore some reasons don’t want to inflict more than 20 points of damage is this possible even if he dose ex. 35 points of damage.

I know that he could chose to cast the spell with lees dices, but what about lowing the damage

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  15:43:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really anyway in core rules to declare maximun damage that a spell inflicts. Magic is not all that sure, plus there is the issue of saving throws that effect the amount of damage.

One thing you could house rule is a feat minimise spell, though not sure any character would want to waste a feat slot for such a feat.

Perhaps give such a feat as a bonus feat.

Minimise Spell:

Prerequisites: Ability to cast Level 1 spell.

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are minimized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A minimized spell uses up a spell slot the same level as the spell’s actual level.

Special: This is a bonus feat that does not count to the normal feat limit.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  15:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was just what I wanted to hear, thanks fore the feat…

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 07 May 2007 15:56:17
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  20:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a feat, I think in book of exalted deeds, or possibly one of the complete books, that allows you to have all damage caused by your spell be non-lethal. Not quite what you're after I know but it might aid your purpose (whatever that may be) :)
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  03:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The feat is called non-lethal Substitution. I like it for mages that don't want to destroy everything.

Another option would be to consider that the spells cause max damage of, say, 1d6 per level, as in the fireball example. He could cast a 10d6, or make it less like a 6d6, but I wouldn't have it alter the points of damage done, just the number of dice. That is, he could roll all 6's and cause 36 points damage, or 1's and cause just 6 points for that 6d6 fireball. Just saying, "I want to max out at 35 points of damage" doesn't work for me, I like that variable issue there.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  13:07:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone interested - you can find that feat, "Nonlethal Substatution" in Compete Arcane p. 81.

Good gaming, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 May 2007 13:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  13:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also this bit from the PH/SRD:
quote:
You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
So, a sorcerer 10 could cast fireball at 5th level, for example, and inflict 5d6 damage rather than the 10d6 she'd normally cause. Damage is still random, however, so it's just as likely she'll do 5 points of damage as 30.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  15:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its time fore me to tell you whey I ask you this question

I have this group of adventures (Npc) : The Burning Five (Five sorceress) they all cast fireball where they stand, and use magic to protect themselves against fire.

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 09 May 2007 15:56:45
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:31:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
So, a sorcerer 10 could cast fireball at 5th level, for example, and inflict 5d6 damage rather than the 10d6 she'd normally cause. Damage is still random, however, so it's just as likely she'll do 5 points of damage as 30.

A Sorcerer would have to cast it as a 6d6, since they don't get 3rd level spells til 6th level.

A Wizard could do the 5d6, since they can cast them at 5th level.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  20:02:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Maybe its time fore me to tell you whey I ask you this question

I have this group of adventures (Npc) : The Burning Five (Five sorceress) they all cast fireball where they stand, and use magic to protect themselves against fire.

Unless you're immune to that particular type of damage, dropping an offensive area of effect spell on yourself isn't the best strategy. There are very few circumstances where that would be a good idea...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  22:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

A Sorcerer would have to cast it as a 6d6, since they don't get 3rd level spells til 6th level.

A Wizard could do the 5d6, since they can cast them at 5th level.
Mmm, sorta. Depends on how you parse the sentence.

Fireball is a 3rd level spell, so it has a minimum caster level of 5. The fact that the sorcerer can't cast it until level 6 doesn't increase the minimum caster level; it just increases the minimum level that the caster needs. Semantics, I know, but stick with me...

A sorcerer can create a wand of fireball with a caster level of 5, even though she'd need to be 6th level to ever cast the spell. That's because it's the spell level--and not the class--that determines minimum caster level. The same goes for a paladin with a wand of bless weapon; even though he could never cast the spell with a caster level of 1 (paladin's don't get spells until their caster level is at least 2), he could create a wand with the lower caster level, because the spell's level is what sets the floor on caster level.

Of course, you're free to read the rule however you like. I just happen to see things differently.
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  03:02:26  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we SURE a wizard can't cast at a lower level than the spell requires?

A wild mage (Complete Arcane), for instance, casts a spell at CL +1d6-3, meaning that he could be casting it at 2 less than his own level. If a wizard 7/wild mage 4 casts a chain lightning spell and rolls a 1 on his wild magic check, his spell doesn't just fizzle because 9th level is too low to cast the spell. His lightning just does 9d6 damage.

I don't think lowering the caster level beyond what it would take to be able to know and memorize the spell stops you flat.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  05:01:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

Are we SURE a wizard can't cast at a lower level than the spell requires?

A wild mage (Complete Arcane), for instance, casts a spell at CL +1d6-3, meaning that he could be casting it at 2 less than his own level. If a wizard 7/wild mage 4 casts a chain lightning spell and rolls a 1 on his wild magic check, his spell doesn't just fizzle because 9th level is too low to cast the spell. His lightning just does 9d6 damage.

I don't think lowering the caster level beyond what it would take to be able to know and memorize the spell stops you flat.

Well Wild Magic is an exception to the rules regarding magic.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  16:38:12  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of "Caster Level" affecting spells known or spells per day (that would be your actual class levels). For instance, having the healing domain makes your caster level for healing spells one higher--but it doesn't give you more spells. You can have an effect that increases your caster level 4 or even 5, without giving you more spells. So why can't you have an effect that decreases your caster level without taking spells away?

Negative levels decrease your caster level by 1 each, but (if I'm not mistaken) they only wipe out one of your most powerful spells, not all of them. Example: a 5th level wizard gets hit with a negative level, loses the fireball he has memorized, but not any other 3rd levels spells he has for some reason. But then, if he can't cast them, doesn't that kinda seem like it wipes out *ALL* his 3rd level spells? Doesn't that seem a little overpowered?

Death Knell makes your caster level one higher for the purposes of determining the effect of your spells, but it doesn't give you more spells. Why can't some effect make it lower without taking spells away?

What about when you're operating under some kind of effect that makes your caster level lower--like shadow magic making your caster level for evocation spells down by one. A 6th level shadow sorcerer can learn fireball--he just can't cast it?

Also, you can create wands at a lower caster level than your own--a magic missile wand defaults at 1st level caster, even if you're a 10th level caster. Again, an instance of decreasing caster level freely. (I'm not going to argue that you can make a fireball wand at a 4th level caster, however.)

I just don't think that that's how temporary caster level decreases affect spells. I think they make them less effective (do less damage), but I don't think they make them unable to function.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000