Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Turnips?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  13:25:41  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Warm winds.

What are turnips? Why do gnomes have an obsession with turnips? Can one make a living with turnips somehow?

Much thanks...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  13:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"You know, that reminds me of the time waaay back..."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  13:55:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well turnips are a root crop see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip
Who can understand the tastes of a gnome?
Yes indeed money can be made with tunnips. In game selling them to nomes might be profitable *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  02:52:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can make a killing by grinding them into powder and selling it to Doozers...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  13:49:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turnips are "garsar" in the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  16:26:32  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oO
In common I guess. I saw a reference in a piece of lore on the borderkingdoms which stated turnips were eaten by the local people. They taste like radicces dont they?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  20:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

What is "garsar" please ?

N.B. : Do not forget that I'm A French Faerūnian !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  21:15:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

What is "garsar" please ?

N.B. : Do not forget that I'm A French Faerūnian !

The Realms name for turnips. I believe that was what George was saying.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  21:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aaaah ! That's just what he was saying ?
Sorry I thought it was a comparison with something I did not know.

thanks Kuje.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000