Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Druids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:25:19  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i have a question : why druids are allowed to fight with a scimitar although they can wear any metal armor, shield or weapon?
i don't follow the logic of DnD on this point.

Edited by - Alaundo on 06 May 2003 14:02:48

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:40:12  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eilinel, i knew that order wasn't your main caracteristic... but look where you posted this

Edited by - zemd on 06 May 2003 10:41:16
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:44:23  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(I should kill her one day... a sneak attack with a critical hit made by a maximized lighting bolt for instance...)
Why did u want to say?
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eilinel:
quote:
i have a question : why druids are allowed to fight with a scimitar although they can wear any metal armor, shield or weapon?
i don't follow the logic of DnD on this point.

Because the mechanics of 1e and 2e are extremely arbitrary and nonsensical.

Druids use sickles to harvest mostletoe. Since they use sickles to harvest mistletoe, it is therefore OK to use sickles as weapons. Since scimitars are curved, like sickles, it's OK to use them as weapons too. Never mind that in games terms, from a broad conceptual standpoint, a scimitar is just a curved longsword.

Please, no condescending dissertations from weapons experts on the real-world differences between straight-bladed swords and scimitars.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 08 May 2003 17:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  20:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bran, I'm shocked! I wasn't going to say a thing. Were you, Mournblade?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  02:00:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I only clarify things as points of interest! Despite my dissertations I actually allow Dual Wielding, and double bladed swords. I think of my game like a movie. It is off reality a bit, but I still like to stay in line with SOME physics. I just love history what can I say?

And I teach biology and Chemistry. Makes no sense.

X2 RULED!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmmh... I thought about that but im not convinced, anyway.

they can also use pic... i know that pic was used to hunt wild pigs but...
allright, i won't say anything too.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  17:32:01  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mournblade94:
quote:
Hey I only clarify things as points of interest! Despite my dissertations I actually allow Dual Wielding, and double bladed swords. I think of my game like a movie. It is off reality a bit, but I still like to stay in line with SOME physics. I just love history what can I say?
And I teach biology and Chemistry. Makes no sense.
X2 RULED!!!

So are you not interested in my ignorance, or are you just not interested in clarifying it?

I'm sure I do a bang up job of clarifying it myself. "Two-handed swords weigh 15 lbs? Sure, sounds OK to me."
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  22:40:56  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all Bran. The only thing I know about Saracen swords have too do with Damascus steel which was immensely stronger, and could hold an edge better than western steel.. I don't think Damascus steel was a new alloy, I think it was a new technique...

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Xaralin
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  03:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Xaralin's Homepage Send Xaralin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In third edition I don't ever recall it saying Druids can't have metal for a weapon or anything all it says is that Druids try to have as little metal on them as posible because it interferes with the pure and primal nature that they attempt to embody. I am very suprised that no one coverd this.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  17:18:44  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xaralin:
quote:
In third edition I don't ever recall it saying Druids can't have metal for a weapon or anything all it says is that Druids try to have as little metal on them as posible because it interferes with the pure and primal nature that they attempt to embody. I am very suprised that no one coverd this.

"None at all" would be "as little as possible".
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  14:18:02  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmmh scimitar does not look like sickle much more than that...
First it does cut on the same side and second it comes from regions where sickles never existed...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  16:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the reason for them being able to use scimitars is because scimitars were hunting weapons before they ever were fighting weapons. They were not used as fighting weapons until after the turks and most arabians started to use them that way.

They probably can use them because of the fact that, in the D&D time span they would have been still used as hunting tools.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  01:04:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D is just an amalgamation of all the ancient cultures of the earth. The rationale for the scimitar is simply Gary Gygax and Dave aRneson thought the scimitar looked like a sickle and decided to include that as possible weapons. (there have been very old articles in DRAGON on this, I'll try to find them). With weapons like the athkatla coming into play, it is obvious the D&D world has no arms race. If it did, the chain mail armour would soon become obsolete and everyone would truck around in Plate Mail. Despite the weight, PLATE MAIL is WAY easier to wear than CHain Mail. You need a really good belt to wear chain mail so that the weight can be distributed somewhere, otherwise your shoulders and neck will BURN with fatigue. I ahve struggled with mixing armours in D&D games for awhile. Eventually I stopped getting so technical, and just figured it is what the character likes...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  02:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

D&D is just an amalgamation of all the ancient cultures of the earth. The rationale for the scimitar is simply Gary Gygax and Dave aRneson thought the scimitar looked like a sickle and decided to include that as possible weapons. (there have been very old articles in DRAGON on this, I'll try to find them). With weapons like the athkatla coming into play, it is obvious the D&D world has no arms race. If it did, the chain mail armour would soon become obsolete and everyone would truck around in Plate Mail. Despite the weight, PLATE MAIL is WAY easier to wear than CHain Mail. You need a really good belt to wear chain mail so that the weight can be distributed somewhere, otherwise your shoulders and neck will BURN with fatigue. I ahve struggled with mixing armours in D&D games for awhile. Eventually I stopped getting so technical, and just figured it is what the character likes...

That could work. However if they wanted a more sickle like weapon why didnt they just not give Druids scimitars and give them Kopeshes instead? That way the sharp edge of the blade would have been on the inside of the curve... More like a sickle is.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  08:02:02  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... nor scimitars, nor khopeshes are really weapons or tools done for the forest... and swords are ust the continuity of farm tools as well.
But i agree that they had to give somehing to the druids that could be efficient, i mean compared with what the priest can use.
i actually don't remember if druids could use scimitars in the 1st edition, and i don't have my books here.

But, i think its enough about that, eventually its a fantastic game!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  00:20:55  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

hmm... nor scimitars, nor khopeshes are really weapons or tools done for the forest... and swords are ust the continuity of farm tools as well.
But i agree that they had to give somehing to the druids that could be efficient, i mean compared with what the priest can use.
i actually don't remember if druids could use scimitars in the 1st edition, and i don't have my books here.

But, i think its enough about that, eventually its a fantastic game!

Yep 1st ed druids COULD use the scimitar.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  11:42:09  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, but it looks good anyway, i think it was also a reason for their choice.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  22:33:20  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eilinel:
quote:
well, but it looks good anyway, i think it was also a reason for their choice.

What looks good, scimitars? In 1e, they were so dopey only druids used them.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:27:45  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ye, but they look good. What does Drizzt use to fight? its not the chance that they give him scimitars, it just looks good.
Even if it can be dopey
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's talking about the look of the blade, not the look of its stats.

Personally, I prefer a saber blade. Preferably with a finger-ring, or a rapier-style hilt.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:42:25  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep, but u go to the finess, scimitars are not that fine. I also prefer sabers even if my avourite stays the greatsword.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:51:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always liked the look and feel of a well crafted rapier. They are also my favorite D&D bladed weapon.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:56:22  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or maybe its because the scimitar blade seems to be a leaf border...
::getting a poetry soul:: and the nerves running like a live the sharp line between the beauty and the danger...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very interesting and poetical bent eilinel.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:57:11  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its too much congratulations, my dear friend. But im better in French, im sorry
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  23:03:24  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eilinel:
quote:
ye, but they look good. What does Drizzt use to fight? its not the chance that they give him scimitars, it just looks good.
Even if it can be dopey

In 1e and 2e, Drizzt's not as minmaxed as he could be.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  14:27:25  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a bit enough, no?
u may not think so...
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  18:26:36  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eilinel:

I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm, epecially written, doesn't cross linguistic and cultural barriers well.

I think Drizzt is very minmaxed in 3e, which I think is bad. He is not so minmaxed in 2e, which is better.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  10:55:27  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think so too, actually but the problem is that if he wasn't, he couldn't be as glorious as he was in the 2nd, because characters are going as powerful as he is before reaching the 16th level, u know.
well, i don't know, i don't like Drizzt a lot beavuse of that...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  16:54:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilinel, in case you haven't seen it, there is a current posting on the new 3.5 Druid up on the WotC site.

It's located here.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000