Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:07:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilinel, I only suggested that because I have always felt that these type of items, such as the one you designed should have a special twist to using them. The alignment change you added to your magical item was good, but out of balance with the potential gains when polymorphed.

Anyway, I am working on a similar item at the moment, although this magical item is a powerful relic from the Blood War between Baatezu and Tanar'ri.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:11:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to it Mournblade.

Anyway, one of my gaming friends has just walked through the door, and is carrying my magical item creation notebook. What this means is, I may be able to post a few items from my game on Friday night.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:23:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first of the items that I have just recently crafted. Most of these items don't even have backgrounds yet -

Waukeen's Favor
This singular rough shaped gold piece has been blessed by the holy power of Waukeen priests. It has the symbol of Waukeen engraved with silver on one side, and an engraving of an unknown face on the other side.

Caster Level: 3rd
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, follower of Waukeen
Market Price: 200 gp
Special:
When this gold coin is taken and then flipped high into the air, it will then spark off a bright shining (non-blinding) light from an unknown source. As the light dissipates the PC will be showered in a rain of 6d6 gold pieces per three levels of the PC.

It is at the DM's discretion, how many times this magical item can be used, before the ability of the coin fades. A normal number of times, is anywhere from 5-to-10 times.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2003 07:50:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:39:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the next item -

Journeymen's Friend
This staff was crafted by merchants in the service of the Church of Shaundakul. It is made of an unknown and unique source of wood, and is covered with runes in Wild-Elven script. It is approximately six feet in length and is capped at both ends by silver cast caps. It has been used by adventures caught in troubling situations while journeying from one destination to the next.

Damage: 1d6
Caster Level: 5th
Market Price: 3,000 gp
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true strike
Weight: -
Special:
The PC can only use the special ability of this staff twice per day. At the PC's command, the staff casts a single True Strike spell on the bearer. A duration of 12 hours must pass however before the power can be used again.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:52:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no proper name for this item. It was developed by Brax for use when detailing and analysing new magical items which have come into his possession -

Brax's All-Purpose Magical Detector
This short 20 cm hollowed out flute-like tube is made of bone. It was carved by an idle Brax when the Sage had to close the shop for repairs due to damage caused by a maddened Gelugon looking for an item that the Sage supposedly stole, during one of his frequent trips to Sigil.

The blacksmith hollowed out the arm bone from the semi-blasted and broken body of the Gelugon, and set to work fashioning this handy item he had been thinking about for a while. After it was carved and shaped, he had the Sage enchant the item with a detect magic spell.

Caster Level: 2nd
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic
Market Price: 1,567 gp
Special:
When the bearer blows through the tube onto the any object, the enchantment, detect magic is cast in the direction of the blow. This ability can only be used twice per day.

If there is a magical object in the presence of the tube when the detect magic is cast, the object will glow in a soft blue hue, visible only to the caster.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2003 07:52:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:54:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it for today. My regular weekly update of magical items should be posted either this Wednesday, or Thursday coming.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  22:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the items, mainly Waukeen's Favor. I'll make sure to bring some coin so I may buy a Magic Detector for my trips later on.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  23:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, two questions. One, what is the limitaion on the Waukeen's Favor coin? Surely the PC can't just flip it an endless amount of times. Second, with the detect magic spell, would the PC be sensing the magic, or would it glow (like in a CPRG)?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:38:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Targon, I'm glad you like the new additions.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:48:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to finish that last post early, I was having a pretty deep conversation with my friend over the keen ability and it's effectiveness in actual combat, once a PC gains levels higher than 20th. I wasn't able to answer Bookwyrm's questions, but I have some time now so I will do it.

Bookwyrm, the original Waukeen's Favor magical item was designed with only a limited amount of uses (charges), say 5-to-10 times. However as time past and the magical item again started popping up in gaming sessions, the potential for abuse of the item soon become apparent. So I basically said that the item could be used only a limited numbers of times according to the DM's discretion, and that is the way it has remained. I forgot to enter that into the entry, so I will do so after this message is posted.

As for the detect magic ability, that I have found has always been a personal choice on the part of the players and DM. Some DM's like the fact that magical objects glow with magical radiance, others prefer the fact that the bearer senses the magic of objects when close. For me personally, I prefer the glowing of magical objects.

Thanks,

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:54:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made the appropriate adjustments to the first and last entry of magical items that I just posted yesterday. They are now fully balanced and accurate.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need for a special post, Sage. I saw the changes without you pointing them out.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:10:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realise that, but some of the other customers have emailed me about informing them of any changes to items both new and old by making the relevant post in the Shop.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  10:02:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as promised I have some new additions. Included in this cache is a special spell I designed on-the-fly during last nights gaming session.

The new items should be up soon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  10:06:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the new spell I have been working on. I'll admit that it may need some improvements, since I really haven't had time to test it properly yet.

Glimmer
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 hour or until dispelled/discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

This spell causes the fields of probability to off-balance around the caster. This has the result of protecting the caster from attacks. Any one opponent who attempts to target the caster for an attack is penalised by a 25% chance of missing when attacking. Once the attack has been made, whether successful or not, the spell is then discharged.

All non-targeted attacks penalised by the chance to miss upon the bearer suffer a 1 hp per die of damage reduction. This also results in the discharging of the spell as above.

Material Component: a probability cube

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  10:08:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another new magical item -

Quill of Arcana
This irregularly fashioned reddish-grey cockatrice quill is the sole possession of the Sage of Perth. It was crafted during the brief period (brief for a being composed of purely psionic eternal energies given physical form) that the Sage worked as a Loremaster for the Temple of Oghma in Suzail, 300 years ago. The reddish plummage of the quill is offset by the small collection of grey feathers at the base of the quill before the point. This quill could be a a boon to all who live by the use of magic.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, creator PC must a total of 5 ranks in spellcraft, knowledge (arcana), and decipher script skills
Market Price: 7,564 gp
Special:
When the Quill of Arcana is held inverted within the bearers hand, it grants the bearer a +5 competence bonus to all spellcraft, knowledge (arcana), and decipher script skill checks.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  10:10:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the last new addition for today -

Razor Battle Gloves
Both of these crudely crafted black-chainmail gloves have four metal lengths of sharpened blades that extend out from the gloves to a length of five inches. Each blade is positioned above each knuckle of the bearers hand.

Caster Level: 11th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, mage armor, keen edge
Market Price: 93,235 gp
Cost to Create: 47,321 gp + 2,315 XP
Special:
These battle gloves function as +2 keen spiked gloves. They also grant a +2 armor bonus as per bracers of armor. The glove-blades do 1d4+2 slashing damage.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  10:12:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it for updates today. Next Wednesday I will have a few common purpose everyday-type magical items.

Watch for them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  10:11:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new spell to add to the Spellbook of the Shop. It should be up in a few minutes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  10:20:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the new spell. It was inspired by my work on a new Aurilite Temple I am designing for an upcoming campaign.

Coldburst Sphere
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Clr 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (200ft+40ft/level)
Area: 10ft/level-radius burst
Duration: Instantenous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Coldburst Sphere generates a sphere of freezing cold ice surrounded by a swirling cloud of chilled mist. The sphere will explode quietly from a preselected point of your choosing. All creatures in the area of the sphere are dealt 5d6 points of cold damage. A successful PC Reflex save results in half damage.

Material Component: a shard of ice, recently frozen

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  10:22:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have about five death and negative energy spells in the works. Would anyone be interested in seeing them when they are finished?. If so, I'll try and post them before the next update next Wednesday.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  09:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, that material componant -- does it fall under the same "if there's no gp value, assume it's in your pouch" rule, as stated in the PHB? Otherwise, a wizard or sorcerer would have to cast ray of frost or another cold or cold-subsituted (modifed by the feat Energy Substitution [cold]) spell. I'd have no idea where a cleric woudl get it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  10:32:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it does fall under that rule Bookwyrm. Unfortunately the campaign it was designed for was a very 'closed' campaign with regard to realism, if you catch my drift. The players didn't like to think too much about those types of things, so an easy explanation was usually the result. I dislike those type of campaigns, as you know, I like them to conform a little with reality to make them all the more interesting, but sometimes, gamers don't see things this way.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  10:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand. It was just the 'recently frozen' part that prompted my question.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:54:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as promised, the new items have arrived. Although I just want to make a point of informing customers that due to the very common and basic natures of these items, there really hasn't been any exciting background about them, since most have never been used before.

I have left all of that open for those beginner PC's and DM's who may wish to use the items posted here, but add their own fluff to the items.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:56:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the first -

Coldarmor

Caster Level: 3rd
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be 3rd level
Market Price: 2,115 gp
Cost to Create: 1,203 gp + 84 XP
Special:
This +1 leather armor also grants a +1 bonus to all cold-based attack saves

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:57:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the next one -

Ghelbin's Amazing Non-Losable Dagger

Caster Level: 7th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, dimension door, locate creature, creator must be 7th level
Market Price: 17,213 gp
Cost to Create: 9,654 gp + 754 XP
Special:
This +2 dagger, has a unique property that occurs only if the dagger is ever lost, misplaced, or stolen. By means of a dimension door spell, the dagger transports magically back to the original owners possessions, locating the bearer with a locate creature. It returns to the bearer within 1d10 hours. The only way to break the enchantment of the dagger is to consciously and deliberately give it away, or leave it behind.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:58:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the last one for today -

The Ring of the Rat

Prerequisites: Forge Ring, reduce
Market Price: 850 gp
Special:
Crafted from graying ivory with two small green jewels that resemble the eyes of a rat, this rat-shaped ring allows a creature, that places it on their left main index finger to automatically transform into a brown rat (size 'Diminutive'). The wearer can revert to their normal shape at will or the effects will be reversed after 1 hour of use. The powers of this ring can only be used once per day per character level of the wearer.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:00:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it for today. I should have some new items by next Wednesday, although the way I am crafting at the moment, they will most likely be powerful epic-level items.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the second and third ones. For the third, I also liked how it's less of a limitation of magic than of control -- that is, the more experienced the character, the greater number of changes in a 24-hour period.

For the second one, you pretty much gave me the specs for a pair of daggers my brother created for his first story. The only real difference was that the daggers returned after one minute. (I have to say, those daggers were one of my favorite parts of that story. He never finished it, though.)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000