Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:03:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have now made the appropriate changes to the entry.

Thanks again Bookwyrm,

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. And the IPS guy () should drop 'em by whenever I manage to finish them.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:25:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll make time for their delivery then.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and by the way, congratulations on your promotion. Your status as a Learned Scribe is not only deserved, it's a breath of fresh air.

(Now the question is if anyone can figure out what I meant by that. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:39:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I get the general idea of your statement Bookwyrm, and I happen to agree (I think).

Anyway thanks for the congratulations, but truth to tell, I hadn't even noticed, I've been so busy lately.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2003 09:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if you 'agree' with me, then you didn't get it. Don't think of the second part as a concept of quality. It's more of a riddle. Think about it. Why would I assign the idea of 'air' to you?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:51:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously I am little tired, it's late here and I should really be in bed. You may have to help me along with this, or I'll try and work it out tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:09:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Due to the fact that my Silver Marches campaign will be detailing so rather exciting adventures tonight, I thought I would post some of the items I will be using in the campaign.

So here's a special collection of magical items, that I cooked up yesterday for the campaign tonight.

Enjoy .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:11:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the first of three new items -

The Blade of the Frostmaiden
Constructed from a very unique form of ice found only in the depths of the Caverns of Cold in the utter North of the Realms, by Aurilite clerics, this greataxe is a weapon that seems to pulsate with the power of the Cold Goddess herself. The axe is pure white of colour, and is icy to the touch. A crystallised symbol of Auril has been forged into the axe head, using a selection of diamonds found in the mines of Spine of the World Mountains.

Damage: 1d12+3
Weight: 20 lbs.
Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be 10th level
Market Price: 22,567 gp
Cost to Create: 11,345 gp + 670 XP
Special:
This frozen axe functions as a +3 greataxe The rare form of ice that was used in it's contruction seems to radiate cold from the inside of the axe, so that it is always frozen from the inside to the outside. The unique properties of this ice are so strange that even if the axe is exposed to heated conditions or removed from icy or frozen terrain for more than a day, the frozen nature of the axe remains intact.

Let me know what you think

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:12:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the next one -

Tyr's Truth of Evil and Lies
It is written in the holy texts of Tyr that the God of Justice himself gave the design of this unique magical item to his high priest of the temple of Tyr in Teziir. The cleric, Melina of Tyr followed her lord's directions to the letter, travelling the length and breadth of the Realms to collect the materials needed for the weapons construction. When she returned she turned over the day-to-day operations of the temple to the other clerics, and locked herself away in her chambers to construct the weapon.

The blade of the axe is slightly curved upwards and it's face is polished so that it actually shines reflected any light which hits it's surface (so much so that it can be used like a mirror). The axe is forged of hard adamantium, and the blade has been crafted from mithral. Along the base of the axe blade atop the handle are a series of ancient Tyrian runes which read, "True evil and lies cannot hide from Tyr's Truth".

Damage: 1d8+2
Weight: 10 lbs
Caster Level: 6th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, detect evil, discern lies
Market Price: 57,330 gp
Cost to Create: 27,710 gp + 2,432 XP
Special:
Tyr's Truth of Evil and Lies is a +2 battleaxe. If the wielder touches the weapon and concentrates specifically upon a particular target, the weapon detects lies uttered by the target by humming slightly, as if the wielder had cast discern lies. Also, a detect evil enchantment is always active on the axe, and glows slightly red when the axe detects any evil creature, as if the wielder had cast detect evil. Finally the battleaxe grants its wielder a +1 enhancement bonus to his/her Strength ability, but only to those of the Tyrian faith.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 May 2003 07:14:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:13:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the last one for today -

Oldamnar's Globe of Infinite Gazing (Crystal Ball)
This transparent globe was crafted 7 years ago by the wizard Oldamnar, of Tantras. It was designed by Oldamnar so that he could scry on his rivals, whom he believed was forging an alliance against him to try him out of Tantras. The supposed conspiracy of rival wizards was a result of Oldamnar's paranoid nature, however this nature lead him to create several powerful globes of seeing (as crystal ball described in the DMG). The crystal balls created by Oldamnar were forged from a strange type of glass crystal found only in the depths of the Inner Sea. The globes sit upon a jewel-encrusted base with three small ivory inlaid silver legs.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, scrying, silent image
Market Price: 70,000 gp
Weight: 7 lb.
Special:
These globes of seeing work exactly the same as those crystal balls described in the DMG except for one thing - these globes allow silent image to be cast in such a particular way that the point of creation can be of any place or area displayed in the globe. The only thing that the wielder must perform, is the casting of the silent image spell.

Hope you enjoyed them all,

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:16:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's it for today, remember, I like to hear what you have to say about these magical items, so please let me know what you think of them.

I should have some new items by next Friday, so as always keep this scroll handy.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

The unique properties of this ice are so strange that even if the axe is exposed to heated conditions or removed from icy or frozen terrain for more than a day, the frozen nature of the axe remains intact.

Is that supposed to mean that it can melt if given time?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this one:

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

These globes of seeing work exactly the same as those crystal balls described in the DMG except for one thing - these globes allow silent image to be cast in such a particular way that the point of creation can be of any place or area displayed in the globe.

I suggest you add that the silent image can only be maintained if the caster also maintains a 'lock' on the location. This would add to the DC of the scrying check.

I like everything else, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:35:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, what it means is, that no matter what conditions the axe is exposed to, the unique ice will never melt, under any circumstances. I picked up the idea from a science journal I read back in University about a theoretically hypothesised special material made from frozen ice that could never break and never be melted.

Needless to say, the work was purely theoretical, and the project undertaken to work on the material never got the funding it needed. Anyhow, I liked the idea, and borrowed (stole ) a few bits from the article to create the unique ice found in Faerun. I have a description of the ice here in my notebooks, but it's pretty technical and chances are, unless you have a basic grounding in university level molecular physics, and quantum mechanics you probably won't understand it.

Anyway, I hope that helps,

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:37:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about adding the fact that the caster needed to keep a 'lock-on' the location, but I just thought that gamers would naturally assume this anyway when they used it in their campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if you have that on disk, send it to me. If not, just send the name of the journal and the issue. It sounds very interesting. Mournblade might find it so as well.

You might very well be surprised at what I can understand. (Just so long as you don't go into the math. For some reason my brain shuts down when that happens. )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:52:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand what you mean Bookwyrm.

I had to keep myself awake many times in these classes, with thoughts about magical weapons, and FR. Ah, they were good days .

Anyway, the article is maths-lite. However it does have some equations, basically dealing with wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and a few other aspects of quantum science, but the text and illustrations pretty much help you to understand what it is talking about without understanding the equations.

As for the title, well the journal was an Australian publication from 3 years ago. It was a university publication from the same University I was studying at. Of course, I could never find the actaul physicists involved with the project to ask some interesting questions that I had. Anyway I getting side-tracked here - I purchased it at my bookstore after I read it in the University library.

I may be able to email a portion of the notes I took from the article that deals with the ice in question to both you and Mournblade, however, you will also need access to the images to understand the notes, and I don't think I should send them by email. I might try sending you my notes of the ice, and some handrawn diagrams based on my interpretation of the article.

What email service do you use. I ask mainly because, the drawn images I may send, will make the email quite large. Let me know what service you use and I work it out from there.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Unhotmail. Don't worry about it. I'll see what I can dredge up on the Internet.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:05:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The university I studied at will soon be publishing their journal online at their website. I also believe there will be back issues available, so maybe you can just wait until then to have a look online. I'll let you know more about this when I hear it.

Thanks good buddy,

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  16:51:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage that sounds excellent! My mind is on the correct wavelength too since I have been poring over articles on particle physics. My email is comcast cable so it is pretty good. you can either send me the file, or I can run down to Rutgers and get it online if you have a link.

Thanks again my friend!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:17:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a good idea Mournblade.

But like I said before, word from the University, is that they will soon be publishing their journals online. In fact it should happen sometime this month - I should know, since I'm helping to get the website ready and fully coded.

So I'll get you the new link for the site as soon as I know the archives for the journal are up on the net and ready to go.

And since, like me you have an interest in particle physics, the rest of the articles in the journal had some other great stuff that I use for my campaigns also. You can try Rutgers, but I think your best option is just to wait for the archives to go up on the internet.

Anyway I'll let you know when,

Thanks good buddy,

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  10:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those archives sound very interesting. And, I'm sure, my once and future professor and temporary employee (short teacher's workshop this summer) Dr. Harold Williams will be interested enough to put it on his (as I like to call it) Grand Page o'Links of all things of the scientia physica persuation.

(Gee, how did those URLs get in there? )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:14:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW , that Grand Page o'links is great Bookwyrm. That must have had some serious updating since I last looked it over. I don't remember a lot of those sites being on there when I last checked. Of course, it should go without saying that I already had a lot of those pages bookmarked already, but here they are altogether in the same place.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've been to Dr. William's college website before?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:27:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I was doing some research for a sci-fi campaign setting several years ago, looking for some information regarding extra-solar planetary systems, and the workings of the Drake equations, and this page was one of the sites I found. It helped me a great deal when it came time to fleshing out the setting.

::The Sage looks over at his other computer, just realising that he had left a half written reply to a post on the Classic Battletech Forum, when a new post from Bookwyrm appeared in Candlekeep::

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He'll be flattered to hear that. He used to play an SF RPG years ago, but I can't remember the name right off hand.

Anyway, he's just that sort of person. Science in everything. (Except stupid "sci-fi" films like The Core. I never thought I'd hear of something with holes larger than Star Trek, but at least Star Trek's basic plot wasn't a scientist's bad joke.)

[Bookwyrm stops as he realizes that he's gone far off course, and figures it's about time to shut up before Alaundo catches them not tending to the customers' needs. ]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:50:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage looks cautiously over his shoulder, down the hall as he sits hunched over his table. Tomes and scrolls lay everywhere, the Sage quickly organises them all - especially the ones Alaundo had given to him to reference. He wants to appear busy, should Alaundo come calling::

Anyway, back to topic,

I was looking over MoF, with the section that details moonblades. I want to create a unique moonblade type magical item for the shop, but I really don't know where to start. Since Moonblades are unique magical items, the task would seem to appear impossible, but this is something I really want to try.

Anyone have any ideas?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, a moonblade's only good for an elf or half-elf of a particular family. I don't see any way to make one for general purposes. Or were you just wanting a unique combination of moonblade powers? I did that once, making a history for it (or at least the reasons for the particular powers).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  12:03:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually either way would be interesting. I have a few draft items here already. I am working on them for possible posting here in the shop.

However, I would be curious to know a little more about this unique combination moonblade you mentioned. Is it possible?. It may help me with a few ideas I've got cooking here. As for histories for the blades, they're already flesh out, with details connecting to my Evermeet campaign - that's the easy part - the combination of powers is where it becomes interesting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000