Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2018 :  19:22:23  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

quote:

How is that spell even remotely associated with Divination? It's pretty clearly abjuration, being a super-specific mix of dispel magic and Mordenkainen's disjunction.

Vorpal parry is also transmutation, not abjuration.

Divination as it is the only way to penetrate the Anti Magic Shell. Abjuration wouldn't do anything inside an Anti Magic Shell. But a peek into the Past or future to 'borrow' a bit of Spell Plague is a great way to dissuade fools from activating Anti Magic Shells and walking through magical barriers, creatures, demons, elementals, animals, etc... Throw everything you have at an anti magic shell and nothing happens until there is a blinding flash and everything inside it explodes.

That's not even what Divination does. Pulling something from the future into the present is the province of Transmutation, as evidenced in Time Stop and, most importantly, the celerity line of spells, which literally have the caster pull time from the future into the present.

Pulling things to you, from somewhere or somewhen else, can also be Conjuration.

Yes, but in the context of D&D, chronomancy falls under Transmutation. Teleport through Time is a transmutation spell, not a Conjuration spell.

Edited by - LordofBones on 22 Aug 2018 19:22:39
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  20:47:35  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bolt of Cancellation.
Much like a rod of cancellation, but shot from a crossbow.
Because no one wants to go poke spheres of annihilation and other nasty things at arm's length (or even from throwing range).
Against targets other than magical effects, it's a blunt (type B, -1 damage) magical (+0) crossbow bolt.
Item saving throw vs. cancellation is easier (but of course a direct hit can damage them anyway).

quote:

This potion makes you turn dark green. It affects not only the skin, but also hair, eyes, nails, even clothing and equipment. It lasts for about a day. Some adventurers have been using it as a substitute for a Cloak of Elvenkind.

So it's just a variant of potion of blending with badly limited effect, but prolonged duration?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  13:54:12  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not really even blending. You're just green.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  19:17:25  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That just seems oddly specific and niche. I guess it would be of use if you were trying to camouflage yourself as a bush or something, but I can't really think of any use for it other than something doable with presdigitation for a laugh.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  19:29:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was assuming there was a bit of mockery in that item description.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  19:32:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the odd and seemingly useless magic items. For every successful formula there must be a hundred failures.
Someone may have wanted to create a potion of blending but his efforts came to naught but green. I'd make it a lot cheaper and easier to make the potion of greenness, it's there if people want to make it and it does have a few uses, but generally it's one of the less well publicised and used magical formulae

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  22:00:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

again, concept is 20 years old. It was created to defeat very specific types of effects. It could use some better wording, but essentially the idea was to modify a spell so that it could occur in areas which normally would stop the effect.

leyvas’ Random Dweomer Mutation (alteration, meta-magic)

Level: 8
Range: 0
Duration: 1 hour/lvl
Area of effect: spells on caster
Components: v,s,m
Casting time: 1 round per spell on caster
Saving throw: None

This spell causes a simple dweomer to combine with each of the personal spells on a caster (such as elemental aura, spelltrap, non-detection, etc....). This dweomer does NOT replace the spells normal dweomer, it simply works in addition to the caster’s normal dweomers. Thus, a spell of mind blank would show up as abjuration & mentalism PLUS this additional dweomer. Because of this, this spell cannot be used to, say, bypass an area which specifically prohibits scrying magics. Its main use lies in bypassing spells which passively allow spells with specific dweomers involved.

This dweomer constantly mutates unintelligently, though it will only mutate into forms of dweomers which are allowed within an area (i.e. in the area of a spell engine which allows only abjuration magics, it would only mutate into abjuration dweomers). Also, these dweomers never fully form enough to the point that the magic inherent is released (for instance, if it were randomly forming a “magic missile” like dweomer it molds the dweomer up until the point at which the magic actually begins to take effect in the real world). There is a very important difference between specifically prohibited and passively allowed magics. Specifically prohibited magics are those which “will not allow magics that contain a dweomer of a specific type to function” (EXAMPLES: anti-scrying magics, proof from teleport, etc.....). Thus, a teleport spell would have a “teleport” dweomer associated with it in addition to the random dweomer, and even with the random element attached it will not function in said area. Also, the caster need not fear that his elemental aura would suddenly develop a “teleport” dweomer and cease to function in an area proofed from teleport.

Passively allowed magics are those which “allow magics so long as part of its dweomer is of a certain type”. Examples of spells which function in this manner are sphere of wonder and spell engine. For instance, if a sphere of wonder were made to only allow spells which had a “geas”-type component, then the random dweomer is forced to stay within the bounds of “geas” type magics. However, there is a chance that the magic controlling this shifting dweomer is ruined before it mutates to an appropriate type (50% chance), and each personal spell should be thusly checked.

There is one drawback to this spell. As the dweomers are shifting all the time, at any given time the caster will have hundreds of types of minor dweomers form around him continuously. Thus, if the caster entered an area which didn’t specifically prohibit a certain type of spell, AND there were a spell that reacted if magic of a certain kind went off, there is a 1% chance per spell on the caster that he triggers said spell. For instance, if there were some kind of warding that sounded an alarm if scrying magic is present, and the person passing through has 10 spells on himself, then there is a 10% chance he’ll set off the alarm. Of course, non-detection may protect against such spells which DETECT for such magics rather than being TRIGGERED by such magics.

The material component of this spell is an object which has had a magical aura (such as Nystul's magical aura) on it, or which has been exposed to Underdark radiations for an extended period of time.

This spell is Wild Magic. Since a Wild Encantatrix would be extremely rare, I would drop Meta-Magic and just make it Wild Alteration.

Bear in mind, the incantatrix did not EXIST in 2nd edition, and this was written up for 2e. Also, incantatrixes are not the masters of metamagic, but they are highly proficient at it. Many magics study the concepts of metamagic. It was "meta-magic" during that 2e era because it was "modifying the magic". That being said, I could also see it having it be a wild magic spell due to the random aspect, as long its not ONLY wild magic. That's a good point.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  22:59:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

<Sleyvas snipping all the back and forth>

[quote]

Are...are you being this obtuse on purpose?

Honestly LordOfBones, I think he is. It seems to be his method.

What he's talking about with "bringing back some spellplague" to escape... he's making a reference to Yaphyll and the spell she cast that enabled her to escape Thakorsil's seat. Szass Tam basically ordered her to cast her "most powerful divination known to your order no matter the peril to your mind, body or soul" to tell him the outcome of some plans. Since she was in Thakorsil's seat, she was forced to complete the action.

So, she used a lot of drugs and poisons on herself to reach a high level of enlightenment. She then cast a spell which "splits herself in two and sends one half into tomorrow". NOTE: she says tomorrow, but she means "the future" as the next day isn't the spellplague. She is temporarily seeing the future with clarity and offers up advice. Then she starts spouting these unclear prophetic divinations that we all now recognize as hints to the coming spellplague, death of Mystra, Cyric and Shar's involvment, the shattering of the world tree, etc... all while surrounded with blue fire.

It should be noted as well in the novel that Tam actually wants to save Yaphyll as she is a good resource, and he "spoke the words to dissolve the crystal pyramid"... or in essence, he removed the runes of chaos that were primarily binding her to Thakorsil's seat... so the bit of spellplague that apparently seeped back to her past self unexpectedly didn't necessarily do as much as people think in freeing her, but it did enough to allow her to stand up. Tam then simply touched her with his lich's paralyzing touch and she died because of all the drugs and poisons in her system, or possibly because the spell would do exactly that (i.e. kill the past half and keep the future half alive). It is a bit unclear WHAT her spell does exactly, and its meant to be so. For my part, I'm actually using this unclearness to actually send Yaphyll to Abeir during the spellplague years (as in her "future" self ends up travelling somewhere that transfers when the spellplague hits).

The one thing I would also stress here is that the viability of recreating that scenario should be implausible. It happens the one time due to the extremely unpredictable factors of the spellplague. Its not something someone can plan "yeah, I'm gonna do this".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  23:06:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Potion of Green

This potion makes you turn dark green. It affects not only the skin, but also hair, eyes, nails, even clothing and equipment. It lasts for about a day. Some adventurers have been using it as a substitute for a Cloak of Elvenkind.

Side Effects of Potion: Spelljammer Captains from other crystal spheres are suddenly drawn to you if you are a member of the opposite sex. If you are female, you are inexplicably driven to wear scanty bits of clothing, especially bikinis, and you gain a +10 bonus to all dancing skill checks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  23:07:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Potion of Green

Side Effects of Potion: Spelljammer Captains from other crystal spheres are suddenly drawn to you if you are a member of the opposite sex. If you are female, you are inexplicably driven to wear scanty bits of clothing, especially bikinis, and you gain a +10 bonus to all dancing skill checks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  00:16:37  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Blue Stick.

This is a tube about 12" long about 1" in diameter. It Turns anything that passes through it blue. Said item has a magical aura that can be detected and radiates abjuration magic. If the item is magical has charges and can fit through the tube it gains 1d4 charges. But it only works on things that are not blue and turn blue. Hence for most things it will only work once unless you have some other way to change its colour permanently to something other than blue. If it was magical it gains back its magic for 1d4 charges or 1d4 standard time periods for the item function, never more than 1d4 days. If it never was magical nor is blue it turns it blue, permanently. To function whatever it is must pass right through in one way all the way. If something is already blue, nothing happens. If it can't be turned blue nothing happens. The Tube appears to be a blue tube made of an unknown non pliable material.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  01:11:10  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bear in mind, the incantatrix did not EXIST in 2nd edition, and this was written up for 2e.

I was not aware that 9547 "Cult of the Dragon" was not for 2e.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I like the odd and seemingly useless magic items. For every successful formula there must be a hundred failures.
Someone may have wanted to create a potion of blending but his efforts came to naught but green. I'd make it a lot cheaper and easier to make the potion of greenness, it's there if people want to make it and it does have a few uses, but generally it's one of the less well publicised and used magical formulae

Who knows what the creator was trying to do. He could have been trying to make a Potion of Wishes, for all we know. As it turned out, the world got a cheap potion for poor, first-level Thieves. I doubt they're complaining.

When I put these on the shelves of The Old Xoblob Shop, my players bought them all up, at 20gp each. I'm sure they have a use in mind.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 25 Aug 2018 02:40:10
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  01:31:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bear in mind, the incantatrix did not EXIST in 2nd edition, and this was written up for 2e.

I stand corrected goodsir. Still, I don't see incantatrixes as being the only delvers into metamagic, nor do I see incantatrixes as being ones incapable of that spell. Granted, that spell is also HIGHLY specialized and only intended to defeat a very narrow range of magics. I mainly developed it as a possible counter to the efficiency of sphere of wonder (I think that's the old 2e spell where you could say "only spells of X type work in this area"), and something that a mage might develop if he specifically knew a foe favored that spell.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Aug 2018 01:33:56
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  06:35:47  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Who knows what the creator was trying to do. He could have been trying to make a Potion of Wishes, for all we know. As it turned out, the world got a cheap potion for poor, first-level Thieves. I doubt they're complaining.

When I put these on the shelves of The Old Xoblob Shop, my players bought them all up, at 20gp each. I'm sure they have a use in mind.

I'm reminded of that Blackadder episode where Percy delves into alchemy to make gold, and makes green instead.

Lord Percy Percy: I've done it, my Lord! I've discovered how to turn things into gold! Pure gold!

Blackadder: You have? Show me!

Lord Percy Percy: [takes lid off melting pot, and Baldrick, Percy and Blackadder are bathed in a green glow] Behold!

Blackadder: Percy... it's green.

Lord Percy Percy: Yes, my Lord!

Blackadder: Now, look, Percy, I don't mean to be pedantic or anything, but the color of gold... is gold. That's why it's called gold. What YOU have discovered, if it has a name, is some... Green.

Lord Percy Percy: [removes lump of Green from pot] Oh, Edmund... can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest Green?

Blackadder: Yes indeed, Percy, except that it's not really a nugget but more of a splat.

Lord Percy Percy: Yes, my Lord. A splat today, but tomorrow, who knows, or dares to dream...

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  13:15:27  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I think that may be where it came from. I had no idea.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  15:48:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The glowing green Stick.

This is a tube about 12" long about 1" in diameter. It Turns anything that passes through it glowing green. Said item has a magical aura that can be detected and radiates abjuration magic. If the item is magical has charges and can fit through the tube it gains 1d4 charges. But it only works on things that are not glowing green and turn glowing green. Hence for most things it will only work once unless you have some other way to change its colour permanently to something other than glowing green. If it was magical it gains back its magic for 1d4 charges or 1d4 standard time periods for the item function, never more than 1d4 days. If it never was magical nor is glowing green it turns it glowing green, permanently. To function whatever it is must pass right through in one way all the way. If something is already glowing green, nothing happens. If it can't be turned glowing green nothing happens. The Tube appears to be a glowing green tube made of an unknown non pliable material.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  16:49:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pet rock

Typically a stone no larger than the average human fist, the first person to touch it will hear a purring sound and will get a slight feeling of relaxation from the noise. Thereafter, the same noise and the feeling of relaxation will happen any time the owner of the rock (i.e. the first person to touch it and this ownership continues as long as the owner is alive) pets the rock. The relaxation offered is not strong enough to counter any type of magical emotion control.

The feeling of relaxation and the purring noise is felt/heard only by the owner and they will be the only ones to hear the shriek of pain if the rock is destroyed. No one else will hear or feel anything. The rock does not detect as magical. This leads to the friends, family, and acquaintances of the owner to think they are crazy, an idiot, or possibly, both.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  18:08:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

The pet rock

Typically a stone no larger than the average human fist, the first person to touch it will hear a purring sound and will get a slight feeling of relaxation from the noise. Thereafter, the same noise and the feeling of relaxation will happen any time the owner of the rock (i.e. the first person to touch it and this ownership continues as long as the owner is alive) pets the rock. The relaxation offered is not strong enough to counter any type of magical emotion control.

The feeling of relaxation and the purring noise is felt/heard only by the owner and they will be the only ones to hear the shriek of pain if the rock is destroyed. No one else will hear or feel anything. The rock does not detect as magical. This leads to the friends, family, and acquaintances of the owner to think they are crazy, an idiot, or possibly, both.

I was thinking of doing something like this, though I would have called it something like the Stone of Pettis.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  02:28:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

The pet rock

I was thinking of doing something like this, though I would have called it something like the Stone of Pettis.

Well, dazzerdal said he likes the odd and seemingly useless. This pet rock is truly useless. When I was playing with my friends in college, one of us got a useful pet rock. It would levitate around and he could teach it tricks. We tied a staff to it and threw a sheet over it and used it to frighten some guards because they thought it was a ghost.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  03:20:47  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hair of Krshna

This wig is a specialized form of a Hat of Disguise, which can only ever be used to impersonate a priest.

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  14:00:02  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Teething +2

This ring is about the size of a Krispy Kreme donut and is made of leather. It provides a +2 bonus to AC and all saves, just like a Ring of Protection, but it only works when you chew on it.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  23:13:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're not really even blending. You're just green.

Right. So, like potion of rainbow hues but does less for longer.

quote:

I was not aware that 9547 "Cult of the Dragon"

It's even older than that. Dragondex shows "The Enchanting Incantatrix" article by Ed Greenwood back in #90, so it was using AD&D1 rules.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  16:43:58  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Folding Golem

This is a Wood Golem but when the hidden button is pushed and the magic word spoken the Golem folds into a 5" Square Box. 5x5x5 inches. In all other respects it is a Wood Golem.

If a second magic word is spoken the wood Golem folds into a rather odd (ugly) chair.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  13:50:09  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

The Folding Golem

This is a Wood Golem but when the hidden button is pushed and the magic word spoken the Golem folds into a 5" Square Box. 5x5x5 inches. In all other respects it is a Wood Golem.

If a second magic word is spoken the wood Golem folds into a rather odd (ugly) chair.

In reverse, that could be a nasty surprise for a party of low-level adventurers.

Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  02:37:15  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apportation School of Magic, it is a lost or was school of Magic. Its greatest spell is the 9th level Sky Castle Spell. This was modified from a Flying Cottage spell to something spectacular. At 17th level a caster is able to raise a cottage or house. For every 4 additional caster levels one is able to make a larger structure or group there of fly in the sky. A Tower at 21st level. A Keep at 25th level. Small Castle at 29th level. Medium Castle at 33rd level. Large Castle at 37th level. A small city at 41st level. A medium city at 45th level. A large city or metropolis at 49th level. We use Circle magic to get to the required caster levels.

9th level spell
Apportation School
Casting time is 1 turn
VSM
Material component is a 1000 gpv coach per size level of the Structure or Structures risen.
Duration is permanent.
Structure is capable of travelling 10 miles per hour and able to rise 1000 feet per hour up to 10000 feet max altitude, unless everything is sealed and a fresh air supply is available. Then one as able to travel up to orbit or higher. Accelerating up to 0.8C in one year. Gravity needs to be added but that requires another spell. Only city sized structures are able to achieve orbit.

Such a flying structure can be enhanced. The Red Cohort base is the Flying Small city that is a temple dedicated to Beshaba It is known as the Storm City of Peril. It is enhanced with a solid fog cloud surrounding it, several darkness spells and a curtain of lightning. The structure around the city is a large lake with two gates to the elemental plane of water which allow water to flow constantly into and rain out of the base upon those below. It can't, without magic, be determined if it is just another rain cloud or the Secret base of the Red Cohort. It changes with various winds and appears to be a nasty thunder and rain storm. We often land and allow the locals to visit the gambling halls and show their reverence to Beshaba. There are shrines to Bane and Kossuth as well. In the city of Peril we practice an aberration of Thayan Schools of Magic. Apportation is one of the schools. We have nine of these school in Peril.

Occasionally we visit Thay Proper to show respect to Arch Zulkir Tam, but only land just outside the border and venture in when requested. If we fly into Thay it causes quite the commotion as a Thunder Storm is next to impossible in Thay. Suffice to 'thay' we are ambassadorial for the outer Thay and Inner Thay. The Main temple of Kossuth and the Enclaves. Plus we show great reverence to and support of House Tam and provide new magic, lore and other services. But that is a story for another time.

Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 30 Aug 2018 02:41:07
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  09:23:47  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Circle magic hard-caps at 40th caster level.

Seriously, Apportation was basically transmutation and conjuration. In 3.5e, it would be a descriptor, not a school of magic.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2018 :  02:04:32  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Circle magic hard-caps at 40th caster level.

Seriously, Apportation was basically transmutation and conjuration. In 3.5e, it would be a descriptor, not a school of magic.

Maybe for you worshippers of your Divine Mystra Magic.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2018 :  02:49:36  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Red Wizards are not so special that they can ignore the limitations of the Weave. Looking at the Apportation spell list, most of them were cannibalized from the older schools. I wouldn't make Apportation an alternate school of magic, I'd make Transfusers variant Transmuters, as in Unearthed Arcana, or a prestige class. It's easier in Pathfinder, a Transfuser is basically an archetype of the wizard class.

As for circle magic, here's the in-game rules:

Increase the circle leader's caster level by one for every bonus level expended (maximum caster level 40th).

Add Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, or Heighten Spell metamagic feats to spells currently prepared by the circle leader. Each bonus level counts as one additional spell level required by the application of a metamagic feat to a spell. The circle leader may add the feats listed to a spell even if he does not know the feat or if the addition of the feat would raise the spell level past the circle leader's normal maximum spell level (maximum spell level 20th).

Increase the circle leader's level by one for level checks (dispel checks, caster level checks, and so on) for every bonus level expended (maximum level 40th).

Note the hard cap.

Edited by - LordofBones on 01 Sep 2018 04:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  15:09:26  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Red Wizards are not so special that they can ignore the limitations of the Weave. Looking at the Apportation spell list, most of them were cannibalized from the older schools. I wouldn't make Apportation an alternate school of magic, I'd make Transfusers variant Transmuters, as in Unearthed Arcana, or a prestige class. It's easier in Pathfinder, a Transfuser is basically an archetype of the wizard class.

As for circle magic, here's the in-game rules:

Increase the circle leader's caster level by one for every bonus level expended (maximum caster level 40th).

Add Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, or Heighten Spell metamagic feats to spells currently prepared by the circle leader. Each bonus level counts as one additional spell level required by the application of a metamagic feat to a spell. The circle leader may add the feats listed to a spell even if he does not know the feat or if the addition of the feat would raise the spell level past the circle leader's normal maximum spell level (maximum spell level 20th).

Increase the circle leader's level by one for level checks (dispel checks, caster level checks, and so on) for every bonus level expended (maximum level 40th).

Note the hard cap.

I don't use a 20th level cap for spell casters as for a 40th level for circles that is up to you. If so you could change to a 3 level rise if you wish. Or you could just use it as a 9th level spell 17th level. Like I said we have our own version of a weave which is not influenced by your silly deities. Yes we have a temple of Beshaba but that is more to keep her away than attracting her.

Still if you must use your 40th level cap try this.

House 17th level, Tower 20th, Keep 23rd, Small Castle 26th, Medium Castle 29th, Large Castle 32nd, Small City 35th, Medium City 38th and either you can't do a large city (it being capped) or it is 40th.

Like I said we don't use your divine weave and we shy away from your Schools. We don't use all your spells either and some of the spells we use are not usable like Skycastle for those who do not use Apportation magic. Then again our Schools might not or might be locked out of your Weave you best pray for answers.

Our spells are separate. I'm not even sure if your magic blocks would block everything we cast or vice versa. Could be worth a look.

I myself have studied Divination Magic but I have switched to Scryology. I watch spy and find things. But I use Divination school magic too. And I can turn off your weave use in places but not totally. Somethings interfere with others. You could also look into a Wild Magic weave, if you can call it that, and Spell School. Wild Magic seems to work outside of the Weaves that you know about.

Yes our 'weave' is related to although not exactly a 150 foot diameter gem based magic. It is a bit different. Less centralised. I'll do a writeup on it. It also keeps us out of your wall for those who disbelieve in silly divinities. More on that later.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  18:36:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other words, Skimpy is using his own version of Thay that has little to do with any published Realmslore. Thus, anything pertaining to rules or published lore doesn't apply to HappyThay, as I'm now calling it.

Of course, ignoring rules and published lore means Skimpy's contributions to this thread aren't as useful as they could be, since he's not on the same page as anyone else.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000