Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  16:20:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice write-up of this item, which I really like. Adds great flavour and I think it really does fit into the realms, indeed. So thanks for sharing.

Ergdusch

P.S.: Send you a pm with my thouhgts on the price calcualtions and such.

Edit note: I like the evil charm of Besheba too, btw! A quick thought on your 'advanced version of that one though: IMHO, it should bestow no more than a -10 penalty. After all, bad luck is (or should be) as random as good luck and Tymora might have her hands in preventing the worst damage after all. This would be almost impossible though with a -20 penalty (which would be the inverse True Strike effect you mentioned).

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 29 Feb 2008 16:34:32
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
StarBog, Vangey isn't dead yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  18:49:58  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I've edited the item to add Ergdusch's info (thanks Ergdusch!) and to reassure fans of Vengey (yes, I know technically Vangey is still....you know ;-))

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:41:57  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will now take the liberty, to sell(ad) an item to the shop. Its old and im sad to see it go...

But here it is:
Robe of Am’mara:

This dark, red robe, is of epic beauty. It is long with black runes magically drawn upun it. It gives the wearer the appearance of rulership. This great robe was given to her, as rulership of a Netherise city became hers. It grands the wearer the folowing abilities:
· Spell resistance 25
· Imunity to mind effecting spells.
· Ability to cast one extra spell per lvl. 1-9.
· DC of all spells increase +1

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  01:32:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We appreciate your contribution Nicolai. Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I will now take the liberty, to sell(ad) an item to the shop. Its old and im sad to see it go...

But here it is:
Robe of Am’mara:

This dark, red robe, is of epic beauty. It is long with black runes magically drawn upun it. It gives the wearer the appearance of rulership. This great robe was given to her...

Perhaps you should say, "This great robe was given to Am'mara..." It's not that obvious who you are referring to.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:02:44  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... I should have written that. For it was given to Am'mara the elf, long long ago.

When I think of it, a have some more loot I would like to sell.

Judgement:
The blade wielded by Angariel the High Judge of Kelemvor. This +5 keen, vorpal, adamantine, mecurical greatsword is of epic power. Edged upon the blade are the holy words of Kelemvor, which glows bright red when wielded in combat. The hilt resembles a dying angel.

Go to Top of Page

Brother Accam
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Brother Accam's Homepage Send Brother Accam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the likelihood that some (or even all) of these magic items will be updated to 4E?

'Too much time spent in stuffy rooms reading old books written by dead men.'
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:55:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that'll probably depend on whether each of the scribe's who have presented items here, will want to update them. I likely won't. But if others want to take a shot at updating any magic item I've presented here, then feel free.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2008 06:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  15:10:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The magic item I've posted here -- Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye, back on page 36 -- is pretty easy to flip to any edition since all it does is change a person's hair color and style. It was originally a tongue-in-cheek creation (stemming from a discussion about artwork not matching descriptions), but I can readily see it being used by wealthy socialites (though perhaps the price should be bumped up, since it does have a long-lasting, if minor, effect).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  21:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Accam

What's the likelihood that some (or even all) of these magic items will be updated to 4E?

Well met

There are no plans for us to convert any material currently on the site into 4e (unless the authors wish to do so).

Whilst we accept any new 4e material (and indeed still welcome material from previous editions), it would be unwarranted to convert material already held at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:29:45  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my part, I have no plans to convert any of my material. It is all intended for 2e. However, conversion to any other system is a very simple matter, even in those cases where specific numbers have been provided. If you want to use them in 3e or 4e, feel free to make whatever changes you feel are needed. For the most part, they can be used as-is.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

DorianAdricus
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  20:25:07  Show Profile  Visit DorianAdricus's Homepage Send DorianAdricus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've only recently started posting, I thought I'd contribute a couple magic items from one of the first Realms games that I ran (they were created for a Silverymoon based game in 3e).

Lothandrian Moonblade: This unique +3 longsword is forged of the purest platinum. Its crosspiece and guard are made of silver blue mithril while the hilt is wrapped in supple blue dragon leather and entwined with string made from the blue-black hair of a silver elf. Set into the crosspiece of the blade is a pale blue sapphire the size of a robin’s egg. Five runes of power decorate the flat of the blade near the hilt on both sides, seeming to be inlaid in diamond. The runes are the personal sigils of the four former and one current wielder of the moonblade. Pale silver-blue flames flicker in the depths of the sapphire when a power of the runes is activated.
The former wielders of the blade and the powers linked with them are as follows:
· Lady Talindra Lothandrian, the blade’s first wielder. Born in The Year of the Leather Shield (-75 DR). She was saved from drowning by activation of the first power of the moonblade. The wielder of the sword may survive without air.
· Lord Orlus Lothandrian, the blade’s second wielder. Born in the Year of Scattered Stars (168 DR). He was saved from a lonely death in the depths of the Wealdath by activation of the second power of the sword. The wielder of the moonblade may cast regeneration once per day.
· Lord Arutharin Lothandrian, the blade’s third wielder. Born in the Year of Freedom’s Friends (324 DR). Lord Arutharin was granted a second mount by the moonblade after his first was lost in an aerial combat with Pyrethraxus the Red over the Stormhorn Mountains in the Year of the Hunting Ghosts (659 DR). The wielder of the moonblade may summon forth Silvermane, a celestial griffon imbued with the spirit of Arutharin’s bonded mount for up to six hours per day. If Silvermane is killed, she may not be summoned again for a tenday.

Silvermane: Adult female celestial griffon; CR 6; Large magical beast; HD 8d10+21; hp 73; Init +2; Spd 30 ft, fly 80 ft. (average); AC 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural); Atk +8 melee (2d6+4 bite), +3 melee (1d4+2, 2 claws); Face/Reach 5 ft. by 10 ft./5ft.; SA Pounce, rake (1d6+2), smite evil; SQ Scent, darkvision 60 ft., acid/cold/electricity resistance 15, damage reduction 5/+2; SR 20; AL NG; SV Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +3; Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills and Feats: Jump +8, Listen +6, Spot +11
Special Attacks: Pounce (Ex): If a griffon dives or leaps upon a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even if it has already taken a move action.
Rake (Ex): A griffon that pounces on an opponent can make two rake attacks (+8 melee) with its hind legs for 1d6+2 slashing damage each.
Smite Evil (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal attack to deal additional damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.

· Lord Gerin Lothandrian, the blade’s fourth wielder. Born in the Year of the Corrie Fist (450 DR), Lord Gerin fought valiantly using magic and steel against both the Army of Darkness that consumed Myth Drannor, and later against the armies of Hellgate Keep, where he met his death. Gerin primed the moonblade for battle, and the sword granted him the power to, three times per day, conjure a roiling blue fireball (15d6, Reflex for half, DC 22), which burns only creatures of evil.
· Lord Kyrin Lothandrian, the blade’s fifth weilder. Kyrin was granted the ability to change into a great and terrible being by the power of the sword in the Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR). The sword allows the wielder to shapechange into the form of a gold dragon of half again the user’s hit dice. This power may be used once per month.
In additon, the moonblade is intelligent (Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 17), lawful good, and has taken the name Marus Eltemrion Lothandrian for himself. It can communicate telepathically with its wielder or speak Elven, Common, Chondathan, Celestial, Abyssal, or Seldruin (Ancient High Elven). Marus considers himself an archmage, a patriarch of the Lothandrian clan, and every Lothandrian’s great-great-great uncle. Marus is fussy, arrogant, but quite knowledgeable about scholarly matters taking place before the Year of the Curse (882 DR) as after that he was preserved out of time by Elven High Magic.
Caster Level: 18th. Weight: 8 lbs.

And...

Izdal’s Key: This unique +2 throwing returning thundering warhammer was named and carried by the thirdson of Delzoun, Thain Izadal Delzoun and lost upon his death in the Year of Silent Screams (-133 DR). Composed of adamantine with two diamond eyes set on the face of the two headed weapon, it is inlaid with diamond dusted Runes of Sundering. It has the ability to ignore hardness when attacking inanimate objects.
Go to Top of Page

Kilsek
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  14:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Kilsek's Homepage Send Kilsek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the shop!

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons | Our new Minis Price guide | Geeked D&D Banner Exchange
Jiv'elgg lueth jiv'undus phuul jivvin. L'elamshin d'lil Ilythiiri zhah ulu har'luth jal.
Torture and pain are fun. The destiny of the Drow is to conquer all.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  20:08:10  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im putting in a scroll. If anyone would like to use it in there campaing i would like to know. That said here it is:

Melcar’s Obdurium Shield
Transmutation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell transforms the skin of the caster into Obdurium giving him a damage reduction 30/- 60 hp per lvl of the caster.

Material: One Weave Sphere and a piece of obdurium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  04:33:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im putting in a scroll. If anyone would like to use it in there campaing i would like to know. That said here it is:

Melcar’s Obdurium Shield
Transmutation
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One action
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell transforms the skin of the caster into Obdurium giving him a damage reduction 30/- 60 hp per lvl of the caster.

Material: One Weave Sphere and a piece of obdurium

I can't say I'm familiar with Weave Spheres or obdurium.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  16:40:06  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obdurium is a extremely hard metal of hardnes 30. 60 hit points per inch. It is found in Strongholds Builders Guidebook. A weavesphere is as follows:

Melcar’s Weave Sphere
Abjuration
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting time: 1 Min
Target: The Weave
Duration: 24 Hours
Saving Throw: No
Spell resistance: No

This is one of the most dangerous and powerful spells ever created since the fall of Netheril. Upon the casting of this powerful abjuration, the caster taps into the raw unfiltered power of the weave, drawing power directly from it, creating a concentrated sphere of energy that holds immense power. This however has a risk. When this spell is cast, a 1% chance of the spell failing utterly, ripping the caster apart, exists. A “Wish” combined with “True Resurrection” can bring the person back to life. If the spell is a success, a silverwhite sphere of weave essence is collected. The Weave Sphere has a variety of functions.

• A Weave Sphere is used as a powerful component in extreme spells and, being raw weave energy, acts as a conductor to the weave, making greater and more powerful spells possible.

• The Weave Sphere functions like a temporary “Mythallar”. (5 ft. per caster level emanation) Only the caster of the spell has the ability to touch the Weave Sphere. (Any item, or creature, living or undead touching it is instantly destroyed) The sphere is controlled telepathically via telekinesis.

• It can be used to make a disintegrating ranged touch attack. This however destroys the Weave Sphere, causing an explosion in a radius of 5ft. per caster level, damaging everything 1d6 per caster level. No save allowed.

• Functioning as a “Mythallar” the spell emanates magic. This ability suppresses an Antimagic Field and similar effects but not a Dead Magic Zone.

Material: A Moonstone

XP Cost: 1500
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  05:10:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that one of the advantages of a mythallar was the use of quasimagical items, I think this spell should be epic, not 9th level.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  14:37:09  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes well one could feel that way, but as it is only a temporary spell, it will be used to fuel other spells as a powerful component and not as i direct Mythallar effect. Or that's my idea about it, and the way im gonna use it.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  16:23:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Temporary? 24 hours is not that temporary. If you want it to be a 9th level spell, the duration should be in rounds.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  16:44:08  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there we disagree. When it's not permanent, its temporary! And ending if used as a component. Very much temporary!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  16:49:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, it's not permanent, but I do feel that the 24 hour duration makes it easy to abuse, even with the XP component.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  17:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a full day, it's a battery for all quasimagical items you care to have. Cast it again the next day, and you're still golden with all those cheaply-made magical items. Nope, 9th level is too cheap.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  18:42:30  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well yes and no. It is easy and perhaps 24 hours are too much... I would be inclined to say... 12 hour insted. Never realy thought about the use of quassi magical gear!

Thanks for pointing that out!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  04:05:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well yes and no. It is easy and perhaps 24 hours are too much... I would be inclined to say... 12 hour insted. Never realy thought about the use of quassi magical gear!

Thanks for pointing that out!

I think that's still too much. It enables your mage to quite readily become a walking arsenal. I'd make that spell not only epic, but one of the more difficult ones.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  14:38:14  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like and reflect on you say wolly, but as im not having any quassi items im not think much of that; compared to the duration of the spell. However im feeling what you say. But the spell is meant as a universal component for high powered spells. And some of these spells have a long casting time. 3 hours or something like that... so...

But I do appreciate any coments and surgestions!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  19:38:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like and reflect on you say wolly, but as im not having any quassi items im not think much of that; compared to the duration of the spell. However im feeling what you say. But the spell is meant as a universal component for high powered spells. And some of these spells have a long casting time. 3 hours or something like that... so...

But I do appreciate any coments and surgestions!

It's not the duration I'm arguing. It's the fact that it's 9th level and not epic that I'm arguing. If the DC was appropriately high, it would be acceptable to me as an epic spell. As it is, it's just too easy.

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  04:20:01  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This spell is not really out of line with 9th level spells at all. The potential damage is particularly weak for a 9th level spell. It's also pretty weak in general compared to epic spells. Most of the concerns I see have to do with things that aren't even mentioned in your spell description. Just specify exactly what other effects your spell can be used to power., describe in exactly what respects the weave can be used as a temporary mythal, and specify the duration as "24 hours or until used." You might also want to specify a high value of moonstone, rather than just any moonstone - perhaps a complete moonbar in perfect condition.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  05:23:31  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game, a Border Kingdoms campaign, I replaced the Expert levels of council-woman Nardarra Leonpur of Emrys with Rogue levels and gave her this:

Kyton's Robe
Minor Artifact

Used to goad the easily-manipulated, the Kyton's Robe is an undeniably evil object that promises power at a hidden price. Blood red, with a black, five-link circle (Vei'x'zal's personal symbol), they at first glance appear to be robes that would befit a mage. In truth, however, the robes are more appropriate to a warrior or rogue.

The robe's primary ability is to benefit the wearer with a power similar to the chain devil's dancing chains ability. At will, a wearer may animate a single chain of any material and endow it with a form of autonomy. Such chains' hardness and hit points remain unchanged, but they become extensions of the wearer's will. The chain grows barbs, blades, or spikes and becomes a small construct. It possesses the same base attack bonus as the wearer, as well as the same strength and dexterity scores. It has no constitution, intelligence, wisdom, or charisma. Any appropriate feats that qualify as fighter bonus feats (i.e., weapon finesse, weapon focus, etc.) that the wearer possesses may be used by the chain as well. It has a +4 natural bonus to AC, as well as a +1 size bonus. It similarly receives any dexterity, dodge, or insight bonuses the wearer possesses. If the wearer possesses a sneak attack or similar ability, the chain can also make use of it.

This ability can turn a stray chain into a flanking partner or an opponents tools into a dangerous, nearby foe. Making chains dance, however, is not the only ability the Kyton's Robes possess.

The wearer gains a +3 profane bonus to AC, DR 5/silver or good, and regeneration 2 (takes normal damage from good or silver weapons, or spells with the "good" descriptor). Finally, the wearer gains an aura of evil equal to an evil outsider of equal HD.

These abilities are not without drawbacks. Upon donning the robes, the wearer must make a DC 24 will save or be compelled to perform an act of notable evil. Such acts include the sale or distribution of dangerous substances (narcotics, poisons, etc.), murder or grievous harm of another person, or some similar act. If such an act is not performed within 24 hours of donning the robe, the wearer becomes exhausted, and the condition cannot undone without first removing the robes or performing a great evil. Removing the robes after a failed save requires a DC 28 will save, and failure means that they cannot be removed for 24 hours.

Lastly, the robes act as a beacon to Vei'x'zal, who is able to plane shift to any location within 30 ft of them once a month. He also has an instinctive knowledge of the wearer's race, alignment, location (regardless of planar distances), and true name.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  06:10:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

This spell is not really out of line with 9th level spells at all. The potential damage is particularly weak for a 9th level spell. It's also pretty weak in general compared to epic spells. Most of the concerns I see have to do with things that aren't even mentioned in your spell description. Just specify exactly what other effects your spell can be used to power., describe in exactly what respects the weave can be used as a temporary mythal, and specify the duration as "24 hours or until used." You might also want to specify a high value of moonstone, rather than just any moonstone - perhaps a complete moonbar in perfect condition.

It doesn't matter that it's not mentioned. Part of the mythallar thing was the easy and cheap manufacture of quasimagical items. It doesn't matter if the intent is there or not -- if it is a mythallar, no matter how temporary, then it can be used to power quasimagical items. So a spellcaster with this spell can easily make himself an arsenal, cast this spell, and happily lay about with magical gizmos all day long, without worrying about the cost in creating them or even the number of charges the items have.

The intent doesn't matter -- the effective capability does. I can not think of any reason I'd need to drive my car at speeds exceeding 85 miles per hour. But it still has the potential to do 120. Just because I never come close to it doesn't mean I can't.

So I stand by my original point. If you're creating a mythallar, it needs to be epic.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Sep 2008 06:12:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000