Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  19:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another spell from Terrail. This one's just a bit more powerful then the two I posted before.

Anthalus's Final Warning
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 1 target/3 levels
Duration: 1 round per level, unless discharged
Spell Resistance: Yes(initial casting only)

This powerful spell was written by Terrail's current Archmage, Anthalus Wyrdcrier. When cast, it causes the targets to glow with green light, similar to the faerie fire spell. If the caster speaks a certain word(decided upon casting) the spell truly activates, disintegrating everyone caught by the initial casting. This dweomer is used as a potent threat, because once someone is illuminated by is, they can be slain at will.
Material Component: Emerald dust worth at least 1,000 gp.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  19:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it is, this seems slightly overpowered.
I'd suggest adding one or two saving throws: A Willpower save at casting time, and a Fortitude save to avoid disintegration.
Also, you can eliminate the bit on the SR; the current rules would be check once, at time of casting, unless the spell allows otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  20:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, the only reference I can find regarding an Eighth Imaskarcana is that written by our very own Steven Schend, which is listed here. It mentions that Elminster himself said, "I have seen one of these giant stone sages of Imaskar, aye. Whether it be one of Seven or an Imaskarcana at all is for someone of more rarified interest than mine own. Of course, ye can only get answers out of it if ye know the tongue of the Imaskari, for it only recognizes that tongue. There be only one Faerunian living or dead who might teach it to ye, and he's hardly one to welcome ye for a lesson while he wanders about the Underhalls......" Thus leading us to believe that Halaster Blackcloak himself is the only Faerūnian outside of Deep Imaskar to speak Roushoum, language of Imaskar.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 04 Apr 2004 20:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  21:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The saves would have to be made at the initial casting. Perhaps both a Will and Fort together. The point of the spell is that once you're caught by it, there's no chance of surviving-unless the mage lets you go. This way it can be used to dissuade troublesome foes, who know that if they don't listen up, they're dead.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  23:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Setting aside my Imaskarcana project for a little while, I have come up with a spell that was used in the book Extinction, by Lisa Smedman.

Thought Bottle of the Archmage
Transmutation
Components: S, V, M
Casting Time: 1 Full Turn
Range: One Bottle
Duration: Permanent

Originally created by Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, to aid him if captured by mind flayers, this spell has numerous other uses. When cast, it transmutes a normal bottle into a thought bottle, which is capable of holding memories, thoughts, and ideas, along with a single spell of any level. During the casting, the spell draws a memory, thought, or idea out of the caster's memories, and into the bottle. It also contains one spell designated by the caster. The memory is recalled, and the spell is triggered when the bottle is imbibed. The effect is instantaneous, with the spell being cast and the memories restored at exactly the same time. As Gromph Baenre has proven, the spell's best use is against being captured by mind flayers, though the Archmage of Menzoberranzan has used the spell for other purposes.

Material Components: One non-enchanted bottle, the tooth of a lich, and a crushed spider.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  08:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A selection of spell scrolls, copied from the tomes of Shiana Nightfalcon of Mulmaster:

Call of the Archmage
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Same plane
Area: 1 familiar creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Must be willing
Spell Resistance: N/A
The caster may specifiy one being on the same plane, and can teleport said being to any spot within 30ft. of himself. The spell's target learns the casters identity and must be willing for the spell to function.

Dead Man Floating
Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Target: Caster
Duration: 10 minutes/level
The casters skin pales and feels cold to the touch, her eyes turn black. Her feet lift of the ground, hovering at a height of about six inches, and her breathing stops.
The caster gains the following benefits from this spell:
-See invisible
-Feather Fall
-Always hovering at a height of 6"
-No need to breath

The caster can still move at his normal speed or run.

Dead Men Floating
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: 1 living creature/level
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
As Dead Man Floating, but affecting up to 1 target/level

Discern Destination
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No
If cast less or up to one round after a teleportation effect occured within the spells given range, the caster learns the exact destination of the effect unless the teleporter succeeds at a will save. If he decides to teleport to the learned location, it is considered "Studied carefully" for the next hour.

Engulfing Darkness
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
The target is surrounded by a dark shroud of negative energy. If it fails a fortitude save, it will take 1d4+4 negative energy damage each round the spell remains active. In addition, the light conditions decrease greatly, reducing visibility to 10 ft. into any direction.
The spell heals undead rather than damaging them, and does not affect constructs.

Forceblast
Evocation [Force]
Range: 60 ft.
Area: 60 ft. line
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Everything in the path of the Forceblast takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage per caster level, to a max of 10d6. The blast effect is treated as a bull rush from a Large creature with a strength of 24.

Shroud of Fear
Necromancy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Every creature that wishes to attack the caster must succeed at a will save or be overcome with fear. (and attack another target instead) Even on a successfull save, attackers instinctively fight as defensively as they can against the caster. (i.e., make use of actions like Fight Defensively or feats like Expertise)

Whirl Till You Hurl
Transmutation
Level: Dru 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Target: One creature of large size or smaller
Saving Throw: See text
The target creature is whirled around by a strong gust of wind. If it fails a reflex save, it stumbles 1d4x5 ft. into a random direction, is stunned for one round and is knocked prone. Flying creatures are instead blown away 1d12x5 ft. into a random direction.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World

Edited by - Darkheyr on 07 Apr 2004 08:34:22
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  13:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There, I almost forgot to more spells...

Immobilize
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level
The target creature is rendered utterly immobile. It can still attack, cast spells or perform any other action, as long as it does not involve moving. It is, essentially, rooted to the ground it is standing upon. Flying creatures are held in mid-air instead, but do not fall down.

Mental Shock
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20 ft. burst
Saving Throw: Will half
This spell was developed after some frustrating rogues which proved to be nigh invincible to regular evocation spells. Since some of them even resisted Shianas Hold Person spells due to potions of Freedom of Movement, she quickly developed a new dweomer, which directly struck at the mind of the affected creatures - essentially causing a huge headache, dealing 1d6/level points of damage - halved by a successful will save. Sadly, this also brings some drawbacks, for example undeads and constructs being utterly immune against this spell, not to mention applicable spell resistance.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  01:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, these are some very interesting spells, Darkheyr. One or two of them seem a bit overpowered, but I'm sure it could be handled with some minor tweaking...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:06:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are interesting, although I think the Whirl Till You Hurl spell needs a better name (my preference would go for a name perhaps a little less graphic ).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  18:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name is part of a private joke, and thus wont be changed on my side ^^

Overpowered? Always open for tweaking suggestions :)

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  20:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't understand what you mean by "It can still attack, cast spells or perform any other action, as long as it does not involve moving." Almost every action, except thought and psionics, requires some sort of motion. I think you should let the spell still leave them the ability to talk, as it gives an opportunity for a wizard with the still spell metamagic feat to escape his magical bonds, given the low spell level...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  23:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the wording is confusing... It basically prevents the target creature of moving out of his five foot square (or 10x10 or whatever face a larger creature might have)

It can talk, cast, do ANYTHING, as long as it doesnt have to actually move to another position.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  15:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! That explains it. Sorry, I just didn't understand what you meant...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  22:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's yet another bit of magic from our friends in Terrail.

Gloves of Anthalus: These are a pair of dark blue gloves, the left twined with silver thread, the right with gold. They allow the wearer to use mage hand at will, as well as three other powers. The left glove can be used to cast chill touch, and the right glove to cast shocking grasp, both once per day. These abilities can be used while wearing only the appropriate glove, but the third power, burning hands, needs both. It can also be used once per day.
The Gloves of Anthalus were created by the Archmage of Terrail for his required unique item. They served him well, providing minor battle magic as well as a bit of versatility, useful for a beginning mage. He wears them still, though most agree that they have since been enhanced with many more enchantments of far greater power.
Faint evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 3, Craft Wondrous Item, mage hand, chill touch, shocking grasp ,burning hands; Price I'm unsure about the price. Any help, Sage?

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 09 Apr 2004 22:42:13
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  01:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Here's yet another bit of magic from our friends in Terrail.

Gloves of Anthalus: These are a pair of dark blue gloves, the left twined with silver thread, the right with gold. They allow the wearer to use mage hand at will, as well as three other powers. The left glove can be used to cast chill touch, and the right glove to cast shocking grasp, both once per day. These abilities can be used while wearing only the appropriate glove, but the third power, burning hands, needs both. It can also be used once per day.
The Gloves of Anthalus were created by the Archmage of Terrail for his required unique item. They served him well, providing minor battle magic as well as a bit of versatility, useful for a beginning mage. He wears them still, though most agree that they have since been enhanced with many more enchantments of far greater power.
Faint evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 3, Craft Wondrous Item, mage hand, chill touch, shocking grasp ,burning hands; Price I'm unsure about the price. Any help, Sage?

Price(by 3.5 DMG): chill touch & shocking grasp=1800 x 3 x 1 /5 = 360 x 2 = 720. burning hands= 1800 x 3 x 1 /5 = 360 x 0.75(because of the two gloves requirement; ad hoc) = 270. mage hand= 1800 x 3 x 1= 5400 x 2(multiple different abilities)=10,800.
10,800 + 720 + 270 = 11,790
Total Cost= 11,790 gp.
270+720=990 gp
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  04:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, what are the rules for an item being useable at will? A hat of disguise, for instance costs merely 1,800 gp, and it allows you to use disguise self at will. This seems cheap for something so potentially useful. After all, magic missile is of the same level, and you don't see any items letting you hurl them at will.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  07:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can tell you that a lot of them are based on how they'd be used. A hat of disguise isn't a battle spell, and can be seen through by someone perceptive. Magic missile not only deals 2 to 5 points of damage that isn't affected by energy resistances, it also strikes unerringly (no ranged touch attack) and has no save.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  20:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a small spell(cantrip or orison) that can be used at will? The Hand of the Mage can cast mage hand at will, and it costs 900 gp. Is this an accurate cost of such a device?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  21:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In case you didn't see it before, here it is again.

Thought Bottle of the Archmage
Transmutation
Components: S, V, M
Casting Time: 1 Full Turn
Range: One Bottle
Duration: Permanent

Originally created by Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, to aid him if captured by mind flayers, this spell has numerous other uses. When cast, it transmutes a normal bottle into a thought bottle, which is capable of holding memories, thoughts, and ideas, along with a single spell of any level. During the casting, the spell draws a memory, thought, or idea out of the caster's memories, and into the bottle. It also contains one spell designated by the caster. The memory is recalled, and the spell is triggered when the bottle is imbibed. The effect is instantaneous, with the spell being cast and the memories restored at exactly the same time. As Gromph Baenre has proven, the spell's best use is against being captured by mind flayers, though the Archmage of Menzoberranzan has used the spell for other purposes.

Material Components: One non-enchanted bottle, the tooth of a lich, a crushed spider, and the components of the spell that is released upon drinking the bottle.

I'd like it if someone could review/critique my spell. Questions, comments, suggestions?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 10 Apr 2004 21:18:28
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  21:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great spell! It would have many uses not just against the mindflayers but any creature that tries to use mind-affecting spells that bend you against your will.

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Material Components: One non-enchanted bottle, the tooth of a lich, a crushed spider, and the components of the spell that is released upon drinking the bottle.

The tooth of a lich? Wouldn't that be very hard to come by? Doesn't a lich's bones disintegrate when he/she 'dies'? I don't know much about spell components but wouldn't it make more sense to use say a mind affecting mushroom or something? Just an idea

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  22:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you don't have to kill the lich to get his tooth, though it would be very difficult... I'm still debating on whether or not to use it as my final component...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  00:54:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is an interesting spell, although I would appreciate you not posting your items more than once, please Shadowlord . It can become distracting, and can make other scribes turn away from reading further into the scroll...

In future, simply post the date and time of your original item, so that it can be used as a reference, or failing that, use a location link...

I thank you...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  01:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

What about a small spell(cantrip or orison) that can be used at will? The Hand of the Mage can cast mage hand at will, and it costs 900 gp. Is this an accurate cost of such a device?

As anyone sane can admit, the price values for magic items have confusing rules. However, according to the estimation rules in the 3.5e SRD, an item that let you use a 0-level spell at will has a base price of 1000gp. You add more if the spell has particular durations: x4gp if the duration is measured in rounds; x2gp if 1 minute per level; x1.5gp if 10 minutes per level; x0.5gp if 24 hours or more.

Now, that is still confusing in regards to some spells. For instance, prestidigitation is one hour, period. My personal guess would be to treat that as x1, but they don't say that. Similarly, they don't seem to have rules for spells like mage hand, where the duration is "Concentration."

However, since the price of a hand of the mage is 900gp, we can assume that a spell with duration "concentration" is priced like an instantaneous spell. That means you're left with the original base price of one-half times one times 2000gp, or 1000gp -- the number I mentioned before.

But then you have to remember that this is an estimation. If you look at all those official items that don't have a hard formula to figure price (unlike scrolls, wands, and potions), you'll see they don't match up to this table. That's because the designers took into account what, how, and when the items would be used. Hand of the mage isn't a damage-dealing spell; it isn't even a likely battle spell, unless the player is clever. In fact, it's really a spell for clever players anyway.

Think about it. What are you going to use mage hand for? There aren't any hard-and-fast situations for this spell. About the most common, probably, is a way to trigger something from a distance. Yet it can be used in creative ways, especially if the DM is the kind to allow that sort of action.

So, this item ends up as costing 900gp. If it cast ray of frost, a damage-dealing spell (and one that doesn't encourage creativity and roleplay), it would likely cost, say 1500gp. If not more.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes, it is an interesting spell, although I would appreciate you not posting your items more than once, please Shadowlord . It can become distracting, and can make other scribes turn away from reading further into the scroll...

In future, simply post the date and time of your original item, so that it can be used as a reference, or failing that, use a location link...

I thank you...

Err, right. Sorry Sage, won't happen again. Hmm, you know, I still haven't recieved your email about Blackrose Elves...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, you know, I still haven't recieved your email about...

Lot of that going around.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:12:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Err, right. Sorry Sage, won't happen again. Hmm, you know, I still haven't recieved your email about Blackrose Elves...

Shadowlord, if you look in the Blackrose Elves scroll, you'll see that I've now presented some of the information that I included in my failed email attempt.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  15:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, right. Just haven't gotten around to reading it, is all... Hey! I just noticed we have new smilies! GO ALAUNDO!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  09:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A set of three staffs appearing in my next campaign...

Staff of the Flamelord
This black staff is decorated with red blazing flames and a shimmering ruby at the top.
While casting a spell, the staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell to a full round action:
- The metamagic feat Elemental Substitution: Fire is applied to the spell
- Spells with the [Fire] descriptor (including those resulting from the substitution effect) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal damage limit. (for example, a 10th level caster may cast a Fireball with 12d6 damage)

Spells which cannot be altered by the Elemental Substitution feat are unaffected by the powers of this staff.

Staff of the Icelord
This black staff is decorated with icy blue flames and a shimmering saphire at the top.
While casting a spell, the staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell to a full round action:
- The metamagic feat Elemental Substitution: Cold is applied to the spell
- Spells with the [Cold] descriptor (including those resulting from the substitution effect) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal damage limit.

Spells which cannot be altered by the Elemental Substitution feat are unaffected by the powers of this staff.

Staff of the Stormlord
This black staff is decorated with white lightning streaks and a shimmering diamond at the top.
- The metamagic feat Elemental Substitution: Electricity is applied to the spell
- Spells with the [Electricity] descriptor (including those resulting from the substitution effect) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal damage limit.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  09:55:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely like these items Darkheyr. They're just perfect for the seven treasure hordes in the next stage of my FR/Inner Planes campaign...

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  11:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I might have some for the positive / negative planes as well :)

Staff of the Deathbringer
This jet black staff is decorated with twisted bloodred runes, and a perfect black pearl at the top. The pearl emits a chill feeling when touched. This staff only works when used by a divine spellcaster of evil alignment.
The staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell / action to a full round action:
- All spells utilizing negative energy are cast at + 2 caster level. This may exceed the normal level-dependant increase of the spell. (For example, a level 5 cleric's Inflict Light Wounds could deal 1d8+7 damage, duration type damage from negative energy would hold 2 more rounds etc.)
- Attempts to rebuke or command undead benefit from a + 2 level increase.

Staff of the Lifebringer
This brilliant white staff is decorated with delicate golden runes, and a perfect topaz at the top. The topaz emits a warm feeling when touched. This staff only works when used by a divine spellcaster of good alignment.
The staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell / action to a full round action:
- All spells utilizing positive energy are cast at + 2 caster level. This may exceed the normal level-dependant increase of the spell. (For example, a level 5 cleric's Cure Light Wounds could heal for 1d8+7, duration type heals would hold 2 more rounds etc.)
- Attempts to turn or destroy undead benefit from a + 2 level increase.

I'm still toying around with these two, not entirely happy with them yet...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000