Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  10:21:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A fine item, and a very nice addition to the collected creations here at the Magic Shop. Thanks Arivia.

Although I think the ability score benefits (+4) are a little high, I'd just like to hear your reasoning behind such a high benefit?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  14:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started off with the idea of combining a potion of bull's strength, a potion of fox's cunning, and a potion of bear's endurance into one. You could only gain the benefit to any one ability score, but it did have added versatility. I used the 3.5 item creation rules to stat the item up(assuming that the choice of one of three 2nd level spells was equal to a 3rd level spell), and those spells in 3.5 grant a +4 bonus. If you're concerned about how high a bonus the item would give, you could change it to the 3.0 spells(1d4+1 bonus, I believe) or you could simply decrease the bonus. I'd suggest you recalculate the cost, counting the effect as a 2nd level spell. You could make it at a caster level of 5th to halve the cost, but the duration would be similarily halved.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  12:45:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...interesting. I appreciate your thoughts on this Arivia.

Just a quick message for the regular patrons of this humble establishment - Due to some unforeseen complications, my usual Wednesday updates will be delayed until Friday.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  17:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about this and decided it would be an interesting item to have in an inventory.

The sap of the drunken fool(name needs work)
Something made by a alchemist and a wizard, no one is sure whom, but it is made by taking the leather and placing it in a cask, and left to ferment in the mixture of the most potent liquors from all of the races for 3 years. The leather will appeared ruined and useless for a sap, but can still make it. Once the sap is made the wizard put many enchantments on it to strengthen the leather without it drying.

When someone is hit with the sap the do not go unconcious, but instantly go into a drunken stupor, like they had been drinking for days. Allowing an easy capture or theft of items. Drunken masters enjoy it because of the instant drunkeness. The initial hit does not hurt but the insueing hangover is a not fun.

Dmg 1d6
Saving throw Fort DC 35

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

Edited by - Trafaldi on 08 Dec 2003 15:53:53
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  21:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would that be a normal hit, or is it considered a touch attack?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  03:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm normal hit but once you are hit you will be so drunk that you wont be feeling it.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  02:01:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trafaldi, this is an interesting item, but I have the feeling that I have read something like this before from a third-party publication. Where exactly did the idea for this item come from?.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  13:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truthfully i was sitting around and thought it up, figured it would be a marvelous idea for a game, weather a theif or a drunken master would use it. I just dragged it out of my own skull.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  13:58:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it turned out, I was partially wrong anyway. The item I was thinking about is actually a drug ('purple dust') from one of the many 'Assassins' books currently available. It gave the imbiber a similar ability.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  14:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote about this powerful item some time ago and just rediscovered it in my book of notes. Here it is, converted to 3.5 edition!

Cen Edth

Cen Edth is a +2 defending, shocking burst, intelligent shortsword:
AL CG; Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12; Empathy; 30 ft. vision and hearing; Ego score 9.

Lesser Powers: electricity resistance 10, sense motive +11 (10 ranks, 1 Wis).

Languages: Common (understands), Elven (understands).

Personality: Cen Edth is thought to contain a sentience of an elf maiden who, for unknown reasons, came to inhabit the blade of Cen Edth. She is joyous and imparts happiness and serenity upon her bearer unless held by someone who commits evil acts. It is said that if Cen Edth is used to shed innocent blood, she will attempt to overcome her wielder or "call" out to someone else who may be able to take her. If she is held by an individual with an evil alignment, Cen Edth expresses strong feelings of despair upon them and occasionally releases a disturbing mental scream. She usually does this when it would especially be most inconvenient to the wielder (such as during spell casting).

History: Cen Edth is thought to have been forged long ago by elves living in the great Shantel Othreier. The one who created the beautiful blade remains unknown but the first recorded owner was a famous elven warrior named Cen Edth, whom the blade has been named for. After his death, the shortsword was passed down in succession to his heirs until long after the Crown Wars. After the fall of Shantel Othreier and some of the other great elven kingdoms, Cen Edth dissapeared only to resurface centuries later, in 626 DR. A halfling lass named Kysi Brownhedge found the blade near her home outside of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. She had it on her mantle for years until it was stolen by two "unusually dark skinned elvish chaps" who reportedly took Cen Edth somewhere to the south. There, it was once again lost to record...until recently, where it is presumed to be in the possession of a drow assassin known as Theikneryl Daekh.

Strong Evocation; Caster Level 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, call lightning or lightning bolt, shield or shield of faith, resist energy; Price 68, 308.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  09:06:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three new spells, fresh from my game on Wednesday...

Merge with Shadows
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Sha 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: Caster
Duration: 1 minute/ level

You draw shadow stuff to your self giving you the fallowing ability. In conditions other than full daylight, you can wrap your self in shadows, giving you concealment. Attacks against a creature with concealment suffer a 20% miss chance (see the Chapter 8: Combat in the Player's Handbook for more information on concealment). Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  09:09:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trapping Vine
Transmutation
Level: Drd 2, Rng 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: One full round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./ level)
Area: One creature
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

With this spell, a Druid or Ranger can send out a web of vines to trap a target. The vines grow out of a quarterstaff, club, or some other wooden object held in the caster's hand. The caster makes a ranged touch attack; if successful, the target can make a Reflex save to move out of that square. If the save fails, the creature is entangled as if he was caught in a net. The break DC is 15 + 1 for every extra five feet of the spell range that was not used, and the Escape Artist DC is 10 + 1 for every extra five feet. For instance, if Celia the Druid, level four, casts trapping vine at a dire bear thirty feet away, the break DC is (15+[25+{5*2}–30]/5) 18, while the Escape Artist DC is (10+[25+{5*2}-10]/5) 13.

While the target is trapped, the Druid or Ranger holding the other end can attempt to control the target by making an opposed Strength check; if successful, the target can only move in the range of the spell. If the target moves closer to the caster, the caster can spend a standard action to retract five feet of vine (Reducing the range the target can move, but not increasing the break DC or Escape Artist DC), or a full round to retract enough vine to pull it 'taunt'.

Focus: The club, quarterstaff, or other wooden object that acts as the originating point for the vines.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  09:14:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Righteous Bolt
Evocation (lawful)
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell invokes the righteousness of law to launch a bolt of law at the target. You must succeed at a ranged touch attack to hit your target. Dealing 1d4 points of lawful damage/2 levels (Max 5d4 points of lawful damage) to none lawful targets. This spell does 1d8 points of lawful damage/2 levels (Max 5d8 points of lawful damage) to chaotic targets.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  10:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Sage. I think I'm going to get some use out of that Righteous Bolt spell this weekend...
One question. Merge with Shadows is apparently a Sha 2 spell. What class are you referring to?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  10:31:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean Arivia?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  10:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Sha 2

I was referring to that line. I've never heard of the Sha class before.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  11:13:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was originally meant to represent the 'Shadow' clerical domain, but instead I ended up generating a whole new 'Shadow'-themed PrC.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  14:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It was originally meant to represent the 'Shadow' clerical domain, but instead I ended up generating a whole new 'Shadow'-themed PrC.

For some reason, I thought it was for a Shadow Adept...or for someone who taps into the shadow weave.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  14:55:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it could be I guess, but I never really liked the mechanics behind the Shadow Adept PrC...probably the reason why I created my own...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  21:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I really love your magic items, even if I haven't visited the shop too often. I was wondering if you had anything for rogues or drow in particular. I am making a new campain in the Underdark, so items that dissolve in sunlight are fine as well. Thank you in advance.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  11:44:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I stand ready to assist you .

A few questions though -

1) How soon do you require these items?

2) Are you allowing any exotic PC races for your characters?. I only ask because I have some interesting ideas brewing already, and they revolve around monstrous races.

I may be a little delayed in posting some samples up though, as I am swamped with a little of everything at the moment...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  21:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on you, Sage, however, it would be nice to recieve these items by next Saturday, not this Saturday, but any sooner would be excellent! Oh, and as for the campain races, I definetely need some things for a drow wizard, and a drow rogue, but as for anything else, why not let your creativity flourish? Post them, and I'll see if I like them (I'm sure I will, I've seen some of your past work.).

Shadowlord steps back into the shadows in the corner of the shop, and shadows start to swirl around him. He then mysteriously vanishes, causing the many of the shop's patrons to acquire a look of curiousity and fear. The Sage suddenly runs into the back of the store, searching for his tome of "Shades and Their Astounding Abilities".

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  14:00:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I think I can have something ready before the Saturday following next, and they hopefully be tailored for Drow wizards and rogues...

I might even check through my notebooks from my 'Underdark' campaign adventure series from last year. I know there are a few magic items from that particular series that I haven't post here yet, and some that I have.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  00:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks be to ye Sage, for this service, Ye'll recieve a bottle of Elminster's Choice Beer, on my tab....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  03:04:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you .

Although I must tell you that I prefer the bitter taste and rich aroma of Cormyrian Fire Wine...

You may wish to place an order the next time you visit the Forest Kingdom.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't visit Cormyr much. They have a particular hatred for drow, such as myself, and an even greater hatred for shades, such as myself, since the Tilverton Incident. Though I may be able to acquire some Fire Wine......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 08 Jan 2004 21:09:28
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2004 :  20:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Choice Beer? If I'm not mistaken, Elminster prefers a good wine . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  03:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, details, details, so long as Sage provides my items in the alloted time slot, I can acquire for him any drink he might desire......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  12:24:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Shadowlord...I should have something for you by Thursday if not then, Friday at the latest.... I apologise in advance for the tight schedule between the release of these items and your game, but I've had two exams, and three days of work over the last week and I am tired...

Anyway I have some new creations...mainly spells -

Sign of Protection
Abjuration
Level: Wiz/Sor 3
Casting Time: Free action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 round
Target: You
Components: S
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell is specifically meant to provide protection to oneself when taken by surprise by an enemy. The caster weaves a sign in the air in front of them with a flick of their wrist, causing a geometrical symbol to appear before them for a split second before vanishing. This spell provides the caster with several benefits, but only for a single round following its casting. The caster gains a +4 armor bonus to AC and SR (15 + half caster level) versus any spells that are cast at them after the sign of protection is in place.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  12:27:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a spell I'm still not sure about. I've been thinking about reworking it, but I thought I might see what the general opinion on it is first -

Protection From Draining
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Effect: Target becomes resistant to Ability loss and Energy Drain.
Duration: 1 hour / level or until used
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

The target of Protection From Draining is warded from effects and spells that cause Ability Score loss or drain. Protection From Draining has a number of charges equal to the caster’s level x 2. By expending one charge, the target can negate one point of Ability Score loss. By expending three charges, the target can negate on point of Energy Drain. Every time the target is subject to an attack that causes Ability Score Loss or Energy Drain, it is the target’s choice if he want’s to expend charges to prevent the Ability Score Loss or Energy Drain. The target can prevent an infinite number of such attacks each round as a free action, as long as Protection From Draining has sufficient charges.

Once the spell runs out of charges, it ends.

Material Component: A diminutive, silver shield (worth 5 gp.).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000