Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:36:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like my modified spell listing (mostly). Where did you find it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was in one of those downloads you directed me to. Remember when I asked about feats? They had a section on spells as well.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:52:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right. I hardly ever look at the spell listings anymore. I prefer my own creations these days...

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  01:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malanthius patiently flips through the massive tome of Bark and Leaves " Unsurprisingly, our dear friend mister Neydeer did not restrict himself to duration affected spells, but as a whole tried to make arcane manifestations more as he put it 'environmentally friendly'.Unfortunately he's so ridiculously long winded as to make it nearly impossible to find the actual spells in his works. So if you'll just give me a moment here..."

Thanks for posting the list of effected spells guys, also, i think it should be a little higher and take longer myself. This is going to be several spells i just need to find time to sort them out and post them. Next up hopefully: Neydeer's Amazing Fertilizer...

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  02:50:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting .

Just a note to everyone, that I should have a few new items up this week (sometime) .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  02:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah . . . a Green, huh?

Well, it should prove interesting at the least.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Malanthius ponders the indecipherable tome of bark, Another Malanthius materializes behind him. The newer version glances at a strange glowing hourglass in his hands, nodding. Putting it away, he quickly opens a dimension door and tosses the original through it, tome and all saying "I always did wonder how that happened to me..."

Noticing the surprised look on the Sages face, he quickly explains " Oh do relax, it was completely self inflicted. Doesn't count and all that. Now i know that you haven't quite gotten the pet shop up and running yet (but be assured you will old friend) i thought i might bring a rather harmless fellow to get you started..." As he speaks he withdraws a small cage from within his robes containing what appears to be a fluffy white rabbit.
"Quite harmless , er, provided ofcourse you don't let him out of the obdurium cage, and um, well, you do keep lots of carrots handy don't you?" The tall practitioner takes a quick glance at the hourglass " oh dear, i'm going to be late, or is it early? Anyway i simply must remember to have the instruction manual for sal if and when he takes this blasted device off me. This is starting to become really confusing..." Saying this, he quickly dives through a nearby wall that seemed solid enough a minute ago. In his wake, a single page of paper flutters across the room and down onto the sages desk.

Fluffy white Rabbit with SHARP POINTED TEETH !
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice 25d10+ 250
Initiative: +15(+11 Dex,+4 improved initiative)
speed: 50 ft
AC:34 (+2 size,+11 Dex,+20 natural)
Attacks: Bite +26 melee
Damage: Bite 3d10+5
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft,by 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 18/+3,immunities, regeneration 30,scent,blindsight,Fast Healing 6,SR 22
Saves: Fort +31,Ref +34, will +15
Abilities: Str 20,Dex34,Con 30,Int 3,Wis 9, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +15
Feats: Blind Fight, Dodge, Improved Inititive, Iron will
Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: solitary
Challenge Level: 16
Treasure: none
Alignment: Always chaotic evil (honest)
Advancement: Are you out of your mind?!!!

The one of a kind (we hope) Fluffy white Rabbit With SHARP POINTED TEETH (!!!) is a creature of legend (or at least incredibly exageratted rumor told by drunken grail knights)that while it's origins remain mysterious, most agree, this isn't your ordinary rabbit.
Although any holy warrior can easily detect the insidious nature of this creature (it's EVIL! EVIL I TELL YOU!) the rabbit seems to remain docile unless provoked or it runs out of it's supply of carrots. If provoked it goes on a killing rampage in an area of 1d20 miles.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  03:53:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks great Malanthius, and it's balanced as well. Tell me though, did something in particular influence your creation of this creature, because I am fairly certain I have read something like this before, only it was a strange evil bag-type Outsider creature with SHARP POINTED TEETH?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  07:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the deadly bunny-rabbit. I actually seem to remember something like it from Autherian-era legends. Though I might be getting it mixed up with a giant, savage hare with yellow fur and a black horn, said to live on an island somewhere in the Indian Ocean. It's called the Miraj. (I don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but just for kicks I always say it like the word 'mirage.' )

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sighs* I guess there just aren't that many Monty Python fans out there anymore. *goes to look for his holy hand grenade of St Antioch*

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:21:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess there are just some things that even a Sage cannot understand...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming he's talking about Monty Python and the Holy Grail. However, it's been many years since I saw that movie. ::thinks:: At least eight, I suppose. I don't remember any rabbits, but that's where the "Holy Hand-Grenade" was from.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:39:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what he was talking about, I just simply meant that these are probably films that are not worth my attention.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. I only watched it at my brother's insistance. Some of it was good. Most of it wasn't.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  18:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* It stands confirmed. I have a terrible sense of humor. I thought that flick was hilarious. My favorite part where the conjurer says "It ain't na ordinary rabbit! It's got a mean streak a mile wide!" Or words to that affect. The knights laugh at him, march to their deaths, and have to use the "Holy Hand Grenade" to kill the invicible bunny. Alas contrary to popular belief the blessed bomb didn't quite end the carrot killer...

Excerpts from the Pythoninomicon:

... And soeth, the most Holy of Hand Grenades didst not truly smite the vile bunny, instead sending it to a different realm entire...

The Dark Sorceress of Varonlee was badly wounded and almost out of spells. The company of fantastically optimistic opportunistic Legionaires were certain they were about to expunge the land of this vile evil; little did they know the ancient spell slinger had one last trick up her sleave. "Fools! I will call into the limbo between the planes and summon a creature foul beyond thine comprehension!" she screamed following with an oath of mighty words of such power the room trembled from them.
The smoke and dust coalesced into a small white rabbit.
"What?!!" screetched the sorceress, "I paid ten thousand rubies for a bunny?!!" Kicking at the animal in frustration, the Sorceress began to cast her second last ditch spell when the offended carrot connosiur ripped her in half.
Last spotted by the Company of F.O.O.L.s as they fled the fury of the berserk vegetarian, the current where abouts of this long eared monstrosity are unknown....

One last question sage, do you ever use any of the material that's been posted here, and how well did it work out? Thanks in advance,

Mal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  03:55:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for asking Malanthius.

Most, if not all of the material that I display here at the shop has in some form or another been used in my home campaign. Some items were earlier creations in 2e format, which I had converted to 3e stats before posting them here. There are others where I have said which campaign I had used them in, and finally the are a few items that are just creations from a spur-of-the-moment inspiration from something I have seen or read about.

As for these items working, well in most cases that depends upon the player who is using the item, and the extent of my involvement (as DM) to carry out the necessary effects. A few items have had little impact on the campaign, while other more powerful and near epic items are sometimes over used - there is simply no happy middle ground in my campaigns unfortunately....

If you want any more information, I will email some of my players reactions and thoughts about some of the items I have introduced.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  07:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I certainly still want to know how they liked my creations, if at all. (Including other things I've created elsewhere.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  08:07:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll get to that in my next visit Bookwyrm. I really have not used that many items from other creators that are displayed here at the shop, unless I have said so previously. I will see about incorporating some other designs of yours maybe tonight or in Wednesday's game.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2003 08:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  10:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that you had used some of them, at least before that staff(-sling) of elemental might . . . . I'd like to know that one worked, at least. I had to look hard to find some sort of special bit that was truly epic. I still wonder if it was enough.

That reminds me, I still have that non-epic staff-sling idea waiting. I suppose I ought to get off my sagely butt and take care of that one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:36:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Bookwyrm...I have set aside a number of your creations for my rather large dungeon adventure tonight. I'll let you know how my players reactions to the items and their uses are tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:37:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, here are two more items that will be used in my campaign tonight -

Staff of Greater Ability and Might
This old gray, withered and wooden staff was found among the personal possessions of the famous Cormyrian Archmage Beltram the Humble. The Archmage created this staff shortly before his 116th birthday mainly because he did not want to feel the greater effects of his advanced age and also to improve his mental faculties.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Staff, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Endurence, Eagle’s Splender, Fox’s Cunning, Owl’s Wisdom
Market Price: 40,000 gp
Special:
This staff allows the use of the following spells -
- Bull’s Strength (4 charges)
- Cat’s Grace (4 charges)
- Endurance (5 charges)
- Eagle’s Splender (3 charges)
- Fox’s Cunning (3 charges)
- Owl’s Wisdom (3 charges)

This staff cannot be recharged (although a DM can alter this restriction if he may so wish).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:39:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's the other -

Ioun Stone of Toughness:

Caster Level: 5th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, the caster must have the toughness feat
Market Price: 8,000 gp
Special:
These special ioun stones (which are usually of a light brown colour) possess all the standard features of a regular ioun stone. However this ioun stones of toughness grants the benefit of the toughness feat upon the PC when it is used.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:41:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as the comments on Bookwyrm's items, I will also have some Wu Jen staves from my 'Kara-Tur' adventures which deal with the four elemental aspects. I will post these creations tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:14:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NightElf suggested the idea for this in another scroll. It was in response to my idea about having a pre-described time for a specific activation on a spell -

Delayed Shatter
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 5, Chaos 5, Clr 5, Destruction 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (30 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area or Target: One solid object
Duration: Up to 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Delayed Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, non magical objects up to 5 rounds after being cast upon the object.

This spell can only be cast on objects and is not an area effect spell.

Arcane Material Component: A 20cm in area piece of mica

This is only a rough working, and I am expecting suggestions for improvement since I believe there are some things that can be changed with this. However I would still like to hear your thoughts on this.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:14:50  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for giving out cursed items, and heres one of my player's favourites (actually My favourite, they hated it )

Dreamweaver, Quarterstaff +2

This highly ornate staff is constructed of carefully carved Onyx shaped in the form of a Dragon. Once equipped, this item forms a bond with the holder, and cannot be released. It functions perfectly as a +2 Staff, but when the holder attempts to sleep he is presented with terrible visions and cannot sleep properly. This prevents spell memorization and hit point regeneration overnight, and usually results in fatique the next day. This cursed item only activates when held by a wizard.

As I said, this is the perfect weapon against a wizard, the party recieved it from a zhentarim wizard just before they entered Daggerdale. He was undercover, of course, and this weapon proved quite notorius. (none of the PCs could use "Remove Curse" )

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"

Edited by - NightElf on 26 Jul 2003 14:25:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:24:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this. I have been thinking about posting some of my more sinister () and cursed type magical items here.

The fact that the curse only operates at night and completely bonds with the wielder is an interesting addition, although I don't think that this item should really be unremovable, surely a wish spell can remove this item and sever the connection it has with the wielder?.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:28:32  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, none of the pc's could use "Remove Curse" as in none of the PCs had that spell in their lists , if that's what you meant...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:34:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's okay . I just like to think that even the most sinister magical item that carries a curse can be negated in some way.

Go to Top of Page

DarkMistress
Acolyte

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:56:23  Show Profile  Visit DarkMistress's Homepage Send DarkMistress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could change it so that it needs a special material to remove it, that could be the reason for an adventure?

"Darkness is both friend and enemy"
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:59:06  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Idea, the item that you need could be in a long lost dungeon or something. Hows this:

Stone of Dispelling

This rune covered emerald is highly sought by mages and clerics alike. With ancient powers, this stone has the ability to dispel any magicks in the area once a day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000