Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New WotC column on FR site - "Class Chronicles"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  17:04:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good to see some realmsifying of existing vestiges (I was particularly not liking acerak as a vestige, though for me I'll probably still have Sammaster as a vestige, but Mellifleur will replace Acerak. The Sammaster vestige will do things that are more draconic and/or meta-magic oriented).

I was intrigued by Zceryll and wondering if there's more lore there to be found. I quickly scanned LEoF, DoF, CoV, CoR, Serpent kingdoms, LoD, and PoF looking for the well of dragons entry figuring I'd find something about the bone scepter of Zceryll. I really like the idea behind this vestige, and I can see it being a vestige that the Theurgist Adepts possibly contacted. However, if there's actual lore there, I'd like to be able to set dates to it to see if they're possibilities. Any pointers or was it created whole cloth?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  17:17:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Excellent work Eytan. I really liked the "Realmsified" vestiges in the article, and I love new vestiges as well. Really happy about the article.

Thanks! I'm really pleased with this one as well.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  17:24:18  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Very good to see some realmsifying of existing vestiges (I was particularly not liking acerak as a vestige, though for me I'll probably still have Sammaster as a vestige, but Mellifleur will replace Acerak. The Sammaster vestige will do things that are more draconic and/or meta-magic oriented).

I was intrigued by Zceryll and wondering if there's more lore there to be found. I quickly scanned LEoF, DoF, CoV, CoR, Serpent kingdoms, LoD, and PoF looking for the well of dragons entry figuring I'd find something about the bone scepter of Zceryll. I really like the idea behind this vestige, and I can see it being a vestige that the Theurgist Adepts possibly contacted. However, if there's actual lore there, I'd like to be able to set dates to it to see if they're possibilities. Any pointers or was it created whole cloth?

Indeed there is. In Dragons of Faerun, Zceryll is mentioned on page 15 and star spawn are mentioned on page 74. She is also mentioned in the 4th Magic Item Compendium preview article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070306a) on adapting that book to the Realms. I like to try and reinforce new lore with additional references.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  19:48:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool, so the star-spawn scepter is rumored to be Imaskari in origin (or at least used during their time), that leaves Zceryll as a possibility of being a vestige that the theurgist adepts may have used timeline-wise.
Hmm, another thing that comes to mind.. my natural inclination is that Zceryll was human to start off with. However, there's nothing that I know of that's indicating that she wasn't Sarrukh or something else. Have you guys laid any of this groundwork to cement her original race?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  19:54:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the web article could imply something where it says "Most items related to the entity have one thing in common: wielders hear or see alien words, whispered or uttered by unseen beings--perhaps by Zceryll itself."

Perhaps Zceryll was Illumian?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:36:46  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about assigning her a race, but though it would be more interesting to leave her origins more mysterious.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  23:32:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are errata I wrote for the Summon Alien and Bolts of Madness abilities.

The summoning ability functions all ways as if you are a sorcerer of your effective binder level casting a summon monster spell. Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority) has the pseudonatural template (and yes, that means you can summon a pseudonatural celestial badger if you like). Just like a sorcerer, you must use a full round action to employ this ability. The duration is 1 round/level. You can only summon one creature at a time (so you can't summon 1d3 or 1d4+1 lower level creatures). The ability is a supernatural ability, not a spell or spell-like ability, so augment summoning and any other feat that affects summoning spells do not apply, though you might find uses for feats that affect supernatural abilities. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can summon additional creatures by waiting 5 rounds (each separate use of this ability has its own duration).

Bolts of madness requires a standard action to use and is a supernatural ability. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  16:49:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the add on about feats not affecting it and that you only get one creature not multiple lower levels. Would be interesting that a 20th lvl binder could pretty much constantly be running around with 4 pseudonatural hezrous though (or given the space, 4 fiendish pseudonatural gargantuan monstrous scorpions), which he could use to set off traps, short term scout, etc... and replace within 30 seconds <g>. Of course, you'd be constantly summoning a new one every 30 seconds.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  18:26:20  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At 20th level, pseudonatural hezrous aren't that big a deal. Fights can be incredibly nasty at that level. The monsters could certainly help, but they wouldn't dominate any fight.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 20 Jul 2007 18:26:50
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  19:14:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>At 20th level, pseudonatural hezrous aren't that big a deal. Fights can be incredibly >>nasty at that level. The monsters could certainly help, but they wouldn't dominate any >>fight.

true, but 4 unholy blight area effect spells going off each round would be pretty nasty (roughly 12d8 dmg per round assuming they fail one will save out of the four) . Plus, the power attack with the true strike from pseudonatural template could be fun. I've yet to use a binder in a campaign, but the more I'm reading the more I'm liking the idea. They lose a lot of versatility that a wizard would have, but they seem like they'd make great encounters for PC's.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  00:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan any plans to do god blooded templates (MM5) for FR deities in your articles?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now I'm only dealing with core classes. Who knows what might be in the future?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  05:48:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next one is up: Shadowcasters

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jul 2007 05:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  09:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice ... now i can't wait for Truenamer to show up ... and what you based that on ... i remember a debate turning into that it could be dwarven ancient magic that elves took over and refined again and again ending up with the 'easier' but limited Arcane magic

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  11:30:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for making that distinction between shadow magic and Shadow Weave magic. I'm really glad that you did that. Also, very interesting regarding the follow up to the Demarch Alliance war between Leira and Mask's followers.

Interesting inclusion of a few of the other "darkness" related gods that don't often get thrown in the category with Mask and Shar.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  21:50:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eytan . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for making that distinction between shadow magic and Shadow Weave magic. I'm really glad that you did that. Also, very interesting regarding the follow up to the Demarch Alliance war between Leira and Mask's followers.

Interesting inclusion of a few of the other "darkness" related gods that don't often get thrown in the category with Mask and Shar.

I struggled with that for a bit, but with Eric's help, I refined it so that there was a clear difference that was easy to follow. I wanted to follow up on Demarch to add some more detail.

These esoteric classes give us the opportunity to look at some of the less frequently discussed gods.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  23:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eytan . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for making that distinction between shadow magic and Shadow Weave magic. I'm really glad that you did that.

Me too, speaking as someone who has long been confused about the topic.

Although, what are the...uh..."Stingers of Oaxaptupa"? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of them before. Were they mentioned in another article? I have to admit, I'm not really interested in a lot of these exotic classes (I'm just not--though I DO think the articles are well written) so I'm a bit "lost" when it comes to the more clandestine details.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Jul 2007 23:44:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  01:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Eytan . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for making that distinction between shadow magic and Shadow Weave magic. I'm really glad that you did that.

Me too, speaking as someone who has long been confused about the topic.

Although, what are the...uh..."Stingers of Oaxaptupa"? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of them before. Were they mentioned in another article? I have to admit, I'm not really interested in a lot of these exotic classes (I'm just not--though I DO think the articles are well written) so I'm a bit "lost" when it comes to the more clandestine details.

The man-scorpion dudes that have settled under Amn, I think.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  01:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Thanks Wooly.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  06:38:32  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Thanks Wooly.

That particular plotline is not of my creation. I think Eric writes about it in Power of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  13:37:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And he got it from "Monsters of Faerūn".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  15:44:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally they were called the tlincalli -- the half-man, half-scorpion creatures detailed in the first [going from memory] FR Monstrous Compendium Appendix. They are originally from Maztica, but some have made it to Amn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2007 15:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  03:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, thank you all for the information.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  05:09:15  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

And the next one is up! :)

Truenamers:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070801

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  06:03:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it didn't delve deeply into ancient origins for them, but for the most part I liked the associated information about the various churches and the like, and it fit in pretty well with how I envisioned it (especially the church of Deneir, for example).

I also agree that most truenaming study would likely be to gain enough ranks to cast various truenaming spells or take truenaming PrCs (which is how I envision introducing the concept into a campaign if I get the chance to work it in).
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  05:28:18  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New installment for Incarnum - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070808

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 08 Aug 2007 05:28:31
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  06:02:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm not a fan of Incarnum at all, I do like the way you tied it to heavy magic and the interesting twist of throwing Karsites into the mix. Very good job of throwing some good Realmslore into the mix, even if the system still kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  12:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree with KnightErrantJR. With good will, and a good search in some tomes of Realmslore, good results can be achieved even with some game aspects that we don't like to much. I really love the way that you manage the Incarnum aspect, Eytan.

A great job, indeed.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  18:32:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That was the reaction I was hoping for. This was a really hard topic to figure out, but I'm glad I found some solid Realmslore to work with.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000