Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New WotC column on FR site - "Class Chronicles"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  09:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

At last, we have activity on WotC's FR site.

This time, a new column entitled Class Chronicles, by Eytan Bernstein.

The first article is Beguilers and Dragon Shamans

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  05:03:21  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Part 2 is up!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070228

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  05:16:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Eytan really did a good job with Duskblades. I wasn't going to use them in my campaigns, but I like it as a divergent, competing bladsinger "school" that is associated with the Vyshaan, and I like the idea of them showing up among the Fey'ri and the Eldreth Veluuthra. Really great ideas Eytan.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  10:00:35  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know it was up until I read it here.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 28 Feb 2007 10:00:51
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  14:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Mr. Bernstein your adaptation of Duskblades to Forgotten Realms was awesome! I look forward to your next submission.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  14:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with KEJR in this. I was one of the DMs that pretended to not use duskblades in Faerūn (because of the famous bladesingers), but after read the good ideas of Eytan, my concept change radically.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  15:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK...everything I could say is a mere copy of what KEJR and Moradin's Chosen already said, hence I just state...damn good job, Eytan! This way one can incorporate duskblades into the Realms. Thanks for penning these articles.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  21:29:54  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. The duskblade entry is definitely one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  06:54:12  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES VERY GOOD.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  15:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Eytan *is* brilliant, so . . .

(Though I'm not saying that just 'cuz of this column. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  21:34:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am soooo blushing :)

Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  00:04:42  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I thought the Beguiler was pretty well done, but the Duskblade write-up was awesome.
Wish this one had hit the web before I created my current Duskblade character.
You're not suckering us in by having WotC post the best ones first, are you?
Can't wait to see the next one go up.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  00:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of the class, but I've got to hand it to you, Eytan, the duskblade concept is pretty cool. The column seems to be shaping up nicely.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  08:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, you made these classes come alive for me. I never had much interest in them before and hadn't thought of them in any Realms context. But you have made the scales fall from my eyes!

You have baptised these generic classes in the holy waters of Realmslore and now they have found new life in my soul. I already have 3 new NPC's that I am working on to have ready for upcoming sessions.

Great work! Looking forward to more!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  11:49:41  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chance87

Wow! I thought the Beguiler was pretty well done, but the Duskblade write-up was awesome.
Wish this one had hit the web before I created my current Duskblade character.

I have little control over what gets published first. I usually submit the article in sets of four or five classes, then they split it up however they like. So far, I've done three sets. I'd like to think that my upcoming two are actually an improvement on the first one.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  11:52:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Eytan, you made these classes come alive for me. I never had much interest in them before and hadn't thought of them in any Realms context. But you have made the scales fall from my eyes!

You have baptised these generic classes in the holy waters of Realmslore and now they have found new life in my soul. I already have 3 new NPC's that I am working on to have ready for upcoming sessions.

Great work! Looking forward to more!

Thanks. I think the knight and dragon shaman entries were actually a little light in realmslore (though the other two were not), but I am attempting to rectify this by making sure that all future classes have at least some new or expanded realmslore in them.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  01:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan if a Knight character takes levels of the Purple Dragon Knight PrC how does the Knights Fighting Challenge work with the Purple Dragon Knights Oath of Wrath ability?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  15:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chance87

Knowing Eytan, that's a resounding *no* -- there's no end to the man's good work.

And having had the pleasure of . . . ahem. Right, super-secret. Right-o. Well. You'll like it.

quote:

Mutual.

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Seconded! I'd thought them rather gamey, but the ways they fit in are awesome, awesome, awesome.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  02:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job, Eytan.

I am presently running a campaign which involves both the Eldreth Veluuthra and the Daemonfey. You have given me some more "seasoning" with which to flavour my game. Though I don't have the PHB II and am unfamiliar with the duskblade class, I'm going to have to do some research so I can add them into the mix.

Thanks very much, and keep 'em coming!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  05:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, this was exactly what I was looking for.
I originally picked up the PHB II for the feats, but this adds another way to spice up the Realms.
In my campaign, it's spring 1374 and the party is currently heading towards the Anauroch. One of the ruins they're heading for is that of Mhaelos (Hlondath), of which the LEoF's rumors says that "Evermeet bladesingers" were spotted poking around the ruins. These I had planning on being members of the Eldreth Veluuthra, and it's only natural that some fey'ri around going to be poking around. I would venture a guess and say that in my game, the Eldreth Veluuthra would probably also use duskblades.

Not to mention next on my party's objectives list is sneaking around the Moonsea, and they've already miffed the Zhents by taking down a low-ranking skymage in combat. There will definitely be some Zhentilar knights looking for them. ~_^

Thanks again for the great Realmslore!

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  20:29:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Eytan if a Knight character takes levels of the Purple Dragon Knight PrC how does the Knights Fighting Challenge work with the Purple Dragon Knights Oath of Wrath ability?

By the rules, there wouldn't really be any synergy. If such a character was in one of my games, I'd probably allow the Knight abilities to stack with those of Purple Dragon Knights. Ultimately, they are probably not all that complimentary, at least in terms of mechanics, despite having extremely similar flavor and purposes.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 06 Mar 2007 20:29:24
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Eytan, this was exactly what I was looking for.
I originally picked up the PHB II for the feats, but this adds another way to spice up the Realms.
In my campaign, it's spring 1374 and the party is currently heading towards the Anauroch. One of the ruins they're heading for is that of Mhaelos (Hlondath), of which the LEoF's rumors says that "Evermeet bladesingers" were spotted poking around the ruins. These I had planning on being members of the Eldreth Veluuthra, and it's only natural that some fey'ri around going to be poking around. I would venture a guess and say that in my game, the Eldreth Veluuthra would probably also use duskblades.

Not to mention next on my party's objectives list is sneaking around the Moonsea, and they've already miffed the Zhents by taking down a low-ranking skymage in combat. There will definitely be some Zhentilar knights looking for them. ~_^

Thanks again for the great Realmslore!

Glad to hear you are getting use out of it. I think you'll all find some of the upcoming entries to be even more useful.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  20:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, here's a little feedback on your first two columns.

I don't think much of most prestige classes, as I find they rarely offer anything worthwhile that can't be done with the basic classes. These pieces don't change my mind, but they're interesting as answers to questions of what sorcerer-illusionists, tribal dragon worshippers, and knights exist in the Realms. The duskblade is a different case (and perhaps you had better pointed this out) because they're a potential new setting element.

I like the beguiler and duskblade material. The dragon shaman section is functional. I'll focus my comments on the knight section (and I noted your realization above that it's light in Realmslore).

This was an opportunity to discuss what 'knight' means in the Realms in contrast with standard English and D&D usage: first, it often refers to heroic, knightly people who aren't aristocratic plate-armoured horsemen, and these would *not* be represented by the knight class. The Knights of the North aren't PH2 knights (though they could include some). General information on the institution of knighthood in the Realms would also have been welcome: concepts of chivalry, social perceptions, the knight's code, etc.

Better to use the Realmsian 'goblinkin' than 'goblinoid' (which is found in Realms sources but it is more natural to Warhammer). Also, now that 3E sources are using 'Zhentilar' again, you might have made the distinction too.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  00:22:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes... 'Twas nice to see the term 'Zhentilar' being slipped back into the Realmslore through Power of Faerūn, especially after being edged out in prior 3e books.

Coincidently, Eytan, this was one of the critical points I mentioned with you at WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  00:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked th Duskblade write up but like others I felt the Knight was glossed over. The term "Knight" is rather miss used in the Forgotten realms. The name Knights is more commonly used for adventuring companys (Knights of Myth Drannor) or Paladin orders. I would have much rather have seen a Knight class article focusing on secular knight friendly organisations (Such as the Purple Dragon Knights of Cormyr) and Knight orders for Gods that dont support Paladin orders (Such as the Banite Knights of the Black Gauntlet)

Id also love to see substitute levels like those found in Champions of Valor/Ruins for knights so a Knight whose a member of the Knights of the Black Gauntlet would be different to a Purple dragon knight

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting points, Dargoth. I fully agree with you.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  23:14:26  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first part of the warlock entry is uphttp://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314. This one includes a novel tie in, courtesy of Erik Scott de Bie.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  23:23:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan . . . I have to say I like your Glasya hook a lot better than the one that shows up in the Fiendish Codex II Web Enhancement . . . no offense to the author intended. I like the idea of other evil organizations within Zhentil Keep . . . I can already picture campaigns where PCs have to figure out who the lesser evil is, the Zhentarim or the Black Star.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  23:36:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Much of the credit for the Black Star (if not most) goes to Erik's fertile mind. The basic idea was his and I adapted it a bit (with some help from George Krashos) to current Realms events and included the organizational format.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  23:53:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Erik and George seem to be alright folk as well . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  23:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the new format for the warlock any chance you can go back and add a part 2 to the Duskblade, Knight, Beguilers and Dragon Shamans?

Id particularly like to see organisation stat blocks and example NPCs for those classes youve already done

Something interesting I noticed in the tone of your warlock article is that it was written as fact where the previous class write ups where written up as optional rules

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page