Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Cityscape review please
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Apparently Cityscape is out in some stores and I was wondering if any scribes are going to rush out and buy it and if so I have a question

Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  21:07:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Apparently Cityscape is out in some stores and I was wondering if any scribes are going to rush out and buy it and if so I have a question

Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book

Thanks in advance

I can't give a full review as that wouldn't be professional (and I don't have time), but I do believe that this book would be of significant use in the Realms. The designers did an excellent job with what I feel is an extremely difficult subject.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  16:05:14  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen it yet but i have to say i am interested in this book.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  23:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesnt seem to be getting very good reviews from those who have it at enworld and over at WOTC.......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:02:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesnt seem to be getting very good reviews from those who have it at enworld and over at WOTC.......

I grabbed my copy today and well, after browsing through it, I thought it could have been a bit better. However, combined with the 3rd party city books, not counting Monte's city, but books on city info and how to run cities, it compliments them.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:17:23  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'v only seen the table of contents, it looked ok...

how is it in comparison to the other "terrain" books, Frostburn, Stormwrack and Sandstorm?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

I grabbed my copy today and well, after browsing through it, I thought it could have been a bit better. However, combined with the 3rd party city books, not counting Monte's city, but books on city info and how to run cities, it compliments them.

What do you think about my original question

"Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book?"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:32:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

What do you think about my original question

"Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book?"

I'd say it's useful for both but there's some parts that seem lacking, which 3rd party books cover in better detail. I'd like to see more details on tax collection, better details on the different humanoid districts, etc. I'd have preferred that the 20 pages of feats/spells/etc was cut down and used for something else or the page count could have been increased because there are a lot of sections that could have been expanded.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Nov 2006 00:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:33:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

I'v only seen the table of contents, it looked ok...

how is it in comparison to the other "terrain" books, Frostburn, Stormwrack and Sandstorm?

Myself, I'd get more use out of the terrain books then I would out of this book.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  20:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What third party books on the topic are there, and which would any scribes recommend?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  21:43:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cityworks and A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe

Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  13:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it primarily is a build your own city book. I bought it for use in my Ptolus game and about a third of the book could find use there, but realistically the only thing I can guarantee use is a couple of feats (which in itself is unusual as I tend to avoid feats).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000