Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Paladins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:53:37  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and... then?
is one of those ways better than the other?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  21:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I was just explaining the alignment for you.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  04:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say this has been a very intense, and informative discussion that I've just finished reading. ::whew!::

I think that I can agree with whichever poster who said that Tyr was basically a "stick in the mud" kinda guy(god).... And that's basically how I play a paladin to him that I'm playing... I wonder how many people play the kind of paladin that basically shouts "I'M A PALADIN!!" no matter where he goes. I don't. Mine that I play was the kind that "hinted" at her abilities like an off-hand comment about the detection of evil over there or such as that.

I'd say that the poster, Mournblade, knows his history stuff! I kinda like history myself but aren't as knowledgeable nor have any sort of a degree in it. A friend of mine minored in history and my ex-boyfriend is an ancient history and WWII buff. My mother is a Civil War (American) buff. Anything I've learned of those periods, I learned from them as I never learned that nifty stuff in school (stupid USA school system! )

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  18:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main problem with American education is that kids get too bored, usually because the teachers can't actually teach. They just recite and expect you to remember.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  18:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, I had an excellent physics honors teacher, who was eventually replaced by some college moron (No offense for those in college, I am referring to this one person only, not you.) who didn't know what she was talking about!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  18:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had a professor who didn't know what he was talking about. But I have had a few who simply couldn't teach. One actually did almost nothing but read from the book! Why did I pay for that class, anyway? I might as well have just paid for the book for all I got out of it. And since it was using the same book as part one of the course, which had a wonderful professor, I wouldn't have taken a loss.

These people are why I want to be a teacher. In fact, it was my Biology professor who convinced me of it. I was absolutely sure that for most of that semester, I could have taken her place and taught better by reading from the book -- and as you might have guessed, I don't conider such an act to be actually "teaching."

D&D ought to be required for teachers, don't you think? Of course, a bunch of them would just become munchkins, probably.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  18:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and that would be such a disgrace to the Realms......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  19:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But at the very least, it might get idiots like Jack Chick from going to/putting their kids through our colleges. Then they wouldn't get degrees, would have to settle for low-paying jobs, and generally pass out of society. Forget survival of the fittest -- it would be more like survival of the sane!

Ah, what a nice thought. Too bad it wouldn't be that easy . . . . As it is, it would make for a great addition to John Lennon's Imagine.

Imagine all the world . . . playing D&D . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  22:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I like it. Of course, if we all got low-wage jobs, McDonalds would have an influx of employees.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  16:00:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Bookwyrm,

I am certain I am about to step into a pit of hatred with my answer here, but here goes...

Paladins are just martial clerics, who have given up a certain amount of magical skills in lieu of the martial ones. Paladins are just simply a force multiplier of protection, enforcement, and determent. Now, the thing about it is...why were at one time Anti-Paladins the "bad" paladins of evil gods, and paladins were "good" paladins for good gods? What about the neutral ones? No paladin of Silvanus, or how about Kossuth? If you take into account what I've said, and use in my campaigns, you realize quickly that alignment restrictions on paladins are useless. Paladins in the founding days of Gary Gygax were quite simply a romanticization and comingling of the ideas of divine magics and martial skills of knights from a hybrid High Germanic Manorial time in Earth history. When juxtaposing materials from 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons against what and where it is now, one can quickly see that it was very old school, romanticized Medieval stuff.

A paladin of Shar, should be no different than a Paladin of Lathander, Oghma, or Moander (were he still alive, wait...).

Just my 2.3344908343 cents worth.

Best regards,

P.S. Let the heresy trial begin!!!! lol

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Here's what I want to know. Why do non-martial gods and goddesses have paladins? For instance, Chauntea and Sune; they don't seem to be the types. And it was mentioned elsewhere that Kelemvor, who was now considered Lawful Neutral, also has paladins. If a paladin can only be Lawful Good, how can that fallow? Do the neutral powers have alternate classes to the paladin? (I ask that because I've heard of the anti-paladin.)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2020 :  07:13:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all, and specifically Great Reader Bookwyrm,

Just over two years of waiting and still, no hatred towards my response here! ;)

I figured I would stir the pot with my outlooks on things. There must be a great many Eldath worshipers here. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2020 :  07:34:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the times have caught up to your genius cpthero2. In 5E paladins can be any alignment so all of the things you note above are perfectly valid. Kudos to you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  05:15:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

I just want to thank the academy, all of my supporters, the Old Mage, and especially Kadh yn Ororm al Mjol in supporting my endeavors. I wouldn't be up here with this Golden Paladin award without you all!

In all seriousness...I am really glad that they did that. One of my more favorite subjects to read on is ethical modeling and especially how it affects policy creation in economics and law. It is good stuff for my brain.

In fact, I've been thinking about starting up a scroll regarding ethical modeling for analyzing character's of the Realms, as well as for figuring out character builds. What do you think?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, the times have caught up to your genius cpthero2. In 5E paladins can be any alignment so all of the things you note above are perfectly valid. Kudos to you.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000