Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 A future DnD player.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone,

I was wondering, while I'm trying to find a group in my area, would it be a good idea to get the 3.5 versions of the core books? If not that what other books can I get? I'm just wondering because maybe I could start coming up with campaigns or various characters I would like to send off in my worlds.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  17:31:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have the 3.0 versions of the book?

If not then you definately need to the 3.5 versions. Player's Handbook (PHB), Dungeon Masters Guide (DMG), and Monster Manual (MM). The PHB2 and DMG2 aren't necessary and MM2 and MM3, but if you like lots of monsters then the MM2 and MM3 are must buys, along with Fiend Folio and Creature Collection 1 & 2 (CC1&2 by White Wolf) IMHO.

You really don't need anything else after that. If your players want to use a prestige class it's an easy enough rule to stay, "you have to bring the book yourself." Personally I photocopy or print out such things so I don't have to bring the book, but it's still important to have a copy of such things.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also depends whether you want to be a player or a DM. The only essential for a player would be the PHB, but there are other books you might want such as the Complete ... series and the Races of ... series. If you're going to run games then the DMG and MM are pretty much essential, and the other MM (2, 3, and the new 4) are probably good buys.

Then there's also setting books. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book (FRCS) and (whisper this quietly: the Eberron Campaign Setting (ECS)) cover the two main worlds published by Wizards, and a lot of players will be familiar with those. There are a lot of books for both settings available, and there are a lot of third party publishers producing their own game worlds some of which are popular alternatives. Or there's the option of creating your own world, in which case all I can say is "good luck, that's a BIG job".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  19:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a player, I'd get the Players Handbook and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Players shouldn't have access to the Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual -- knowing their material can only spoil your enjoyment -- and the other player-targeted books are mostly extraneous, gratuitous, pointless rules toys. Read Realms sourcebooks and novels instead.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  19:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Gillies,

It depends on whether you want to be a Dungeon Master or a player.

If a DM, you'll need all three core books and the FRCS.

If a player, the PHB is enough. The Player's Guide to Faerûn wouldn't hurt, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

...and the other player-targeted books are mostly extraneous, gratuitous, pointless rules toys.
From an equally biased perspective, I'd disagree. Lots of fun for players and DMs to be had out of those books.

Note Realms sourcebooks have similar amounts of "extraneous, gratuitous, pointless rules toys" as well, which are also very fun to use in play. ( at Faraer Grumpypants)

Good luck Gillies!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  20:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the Realms sourcebooks have less rules content, and what there is is more focused on playing in the Realms, while the 'core' books have material which, though it can certainly be used in the Realms, is only incidentally compatible with it, liable to distract from more important things, and moreover a lot more stuff than you want to try to process when starting to play the game, even if you aren't trying to assimilate a new setting at the same time.

But I accept and return the .
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  21:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2nd edition I lived happily without even thinking of kits, my players did so as well, 3.5 gives you more options and that is always a good thing, says he who did convert fairly recently...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  21:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks for the suggestions everyone. So I know I need to get the PHB but can you guys think of anything that is a generally need book , either it br Forgetten Realms or something else. Also does anyone happen to live in the Northumberland (Ontario) area and is looking for a new player? If so give me a pm.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  21:47:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just the PHB is necessary. You might want to browse through the Complete books, maybe there's a prestige class you'd want to pick up, but if you're just starting out, I'd browse them from other players, don't go jumping out to buy them.

If you want to play the Realms, I'd say the FRCS and Player's Guide to Faerun are your buys (PGtF covers 3.5 changes to the Realms.)

Don't go jumping on the FRCS and PGtF until you're actually playing in a Forgotten Realms game though unless you like the Realms and just want the books.

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  02:31:04  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey scribes, please remember that Gillies seems completely new to the game.

Gillies, get the PHB and read/skim. Just having that will give you the idea/basics of the game. Go to your local library and put in a request for the library to buy the main setting books (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and that other one, Ebberon). There is usually a teen budget for books that they would love to spend on suggestions from teens. That way you can check them out without outlaying alot of your cash. Also take an afternoon and flip through them at the local game store (hopefully you have one around).

Look for a regular game through a local game store to sit in on or post your name on their bulletin board. Don't necessarily jump at the first group but try out a few. It sometimes takes some time to find the right group you feel at home with.

Happy hunting. I think this hobby is one of the most satisfying to get into.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  06:09:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually he makes a good point. Don't get the Player's Handbook.

Get this...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/953927200

You'll need the dice it has and extra booklets would be great for a new player. Take the ISBN number and bring it to your local bookstore, if they don't have it, they should be able to order it. (I'm sure there's a few on ebay too.)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/centurio/PlayersKit.jpg

Either way, don't go buying the Campaign books till you find a group and find out what they're playing.. you might end up not using the campaign book!

Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm most likely getting the PHB and some dice from a place I know. Altough the beginner package looked nice, what I really need is the hard core rules, because then I know all there info I need and a lil extra stuff. Also I was wondering, is there a class that summons creatures using objects such as cards or totems? If there isn't how would one make such a class?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  01:22:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Player's Kit has the PHB in it and those are the only rules a player needs.

As for classes, you can't use something your DM doesn't ok. As for making a class, there's really no rules for it.. atleast I don't remember there being any.

No there are no pokemon tamers in D&D. Creatures are handled via spells for the most part. You'll want to look at druid for animals or a wizard or sorcerer for magical creatures. There's a good prestige classes called Summoner in Relics & Rituals by White Wolf, but again your DM will have to ok you using that. Regardless of the base class you use, you'll be waiting till level 5 or 6 to become a Summoner.

Stick to the basics, get the Player's Kit, it'll teach you how to build a character and has a solo adventure you can run for yourself without a DM to learn to player. It still comes with the Player's Handbook, so you won't be missing out on that.

Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  06:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question here SirUrza say a dm is playing by the core 3.5 rules from wizards of the coast, would I be able to come in with a class from a different company (white wolf) and still be able to play his or her game? Also I like your suggestion for the players starter kit. The thing is I have you fine gentlemen or ladies to turn to when I have a 3.5 question. Then again I guess it all comes down to price.

Edited by - Gillies on 03 Sep 2006 06:28:43
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  06:35:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but I think the 2 booklets are extremely valuable to a new player, particularly the solo adventure.

Yes, Wizards of the Coast came up with what's called the OGL, Open Gaming License. It lets companies basically use the ruleset of D&D, D20, and create their own campaign setting. Anything with a big Sword & Sorcery logo on it from white wolf is D20/D&D compatible.

Ultimately the DM has the final say on what you can and can't use and many I know stick to Wizards products only, and some don't allow any Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc. material to be used if we're not playing in those campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  07:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so the players starter kit is the way to go. Here is another bad newbie question what is the difference between rules of D&D and D20?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  14:31:04  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D is a fantasy roleplaying game.
D20 is a set of rules for roleplaying (not necessarily fantasy.)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/whatisdnd

Edited by - SirUrza on 03 Sep 2006 14:33:51
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  00:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can the PLayer's Kit PHB hold out in a real game?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  19:33:26  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Player's Kit comes with the PHB. There's no difference in content. The player's kit comes with stuff the PHB doesn't have.

Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  20:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone here explain the differences between PH2 and PH3.5? Like I know the follow the same rules but what is truly the difference between them?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  21:20:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second edition and third edition are almost entirely different gaming systems. There's a huge amount of differences, way too many to list here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing you want to have in order to play would be the Players Handbook (PHB) for 3.5e (provided the game you're playing is 3.5e). You can just as easily used the SRD or borrow someone else's books.

There is also a Players Handbook 2 (PHB2) for 3.5e, this simply provides supplemental rules and options for your characters. This is completely optional.
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  03:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So PHB2 and PHB3.5 just really tweak the game. Which has more entertaining classes?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  04:12:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need the PHB3.5 to play the game. It IS the PHB. "Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook 1." This is what comes in the Player's Kit I recommended to you.

See the Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook 1 here.

The PHB2 is just OPTIONAL character building techniques and classes that the DM might not allow. There's absolutely nothing in it that a player must have to play the game (unlike the PHB).

See the Player's Handbook 2 here.

I'd even say that you should look at the COMPLETE series of books before you get the PHB2. The Complete series lets you agument your characters based on the basic classes in the PHB.

The PHB2 is for people that are tired of the same-old same-old and need something new/different, but something that still fits into D&D. As I new player, I advise staying away from it. Better to spend your money on a setting book once you join a game (if there's one for the setting they're using) or getting a complete book once you've played a few characters and find a class you like.

Edited by - SirUrza on 10 Sep 2006 04:20:25
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  05:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright would happen to list some characters from PHB 3.5? Also anyone got any stories of when they first started their adventures?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  07:04:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, it appears I'd misread the question.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  00:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a random question for ya. What was your first character and any suggestions of characters with the new system?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  00:52:03  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just pick something you want and like, don't go off other people. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000