Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Poison Distillery and Recipies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently one of my players (A Drow Assassin) told me that he'd like to rent or buy a small house and use it specifically to manufactor poisons. Unfortuntely I've never been to adept at bottony, Mycology (or even Biology for that matter ) have have absolutely no idea what equipment etc the player would require. I was wondering if anyone could hint at this or possibly help me construct a list. (This player is a bottonist, and it would be quite nice to impress him )

Secondly I was wondering if anyone could help me construct 'recipes' for poisons. Perhaps selecting fantasy poisons from various sources (in particular this excellent resource by Susannah Redelfs and hosted here at candlekeep).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Hanx
Elrond

Mod edit: added quotation marks to the coding to make it show up correctly.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Aug 2006 18:55:10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  18:58:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Equipment: Mortars and pestles, cutting boards and knives, sources of fire, beakers, vials, various liquids, containers for storage, bowls and pans for mixing stuff up... Racks for herbs and containers of leaves and roots, diagrams of specific plants, books of plant and herb lore... Oh, and hooks and such for hanging up stuff to dry out.

If you've a copy of the old Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog, the wizard section should have lots of nifty stuff to inspire you, equipment-wise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Aug 2006 19:01:27
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  20:01:02  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As regards sourcebooks, the Arms and Equipment Guide has a decent section on poisons and you may also want to check out the Book of Vile Darkness.

Mostly for poison manufacture you want to extract it from its source, if it's a creature or distill it from its plant. Wooly said it all with regard to equipment. Although, this link might help:
www.ilpi.com/inorganic/glassware/index.html

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  09:57:29  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are specific poisons for the Underdark in the 3. Ed. sourcebook of the same name - Underdark. Just to get some inspiration...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:02:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Lords of Darkness book also has some about Poisons in it. Maybe Champions of Ruin, too.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:41:47  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically he would need a complete Alchemy/Chemistry Lab setup for starters, of course this is totally dependant on what type of poisons he wants to make too.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the PCs in my campaign is a Wild Dwarf. A wild dwarf would certainly not need access to a laboratory, and even if he had access he wouldn't know what to do with it all.

How, then would you guys suggest I deal with that since he has Craft(Poisonmaking) and has hopes to make some of the deadly stuff.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:51:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's a reason why science was able to improve upon poisons and venoms and develop antidotes. It's because it was, well, science. Your Wild Dwarf is probably going to be limited either to poisons that he could directly 'milk' from animals or plants, or those which could be created in very simple ways according to prepration more similar to 'cooking.'

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Well, there's a reason why science was able to improve upon poisons and venoms and develop antidotes. It's because it was, well, science. Your Wild Dwarf is probably going to be limited either to poisons that he could directly 'milk' from animals or plants, or those which could be created in very simple ways according to prepration more similar to 'cooking.'

I was thinking along those lines already, I mean he's not going to be able to produce the vast majority of poisons. And the one's he's going to be able to make are going to require ingredients from the jungle, since that's all that he's really familiar with (as far as poisons go).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:59:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wild dwarf would as Dan says, be be limited to natural poisons. I don't agree that these are more limited in potency, its more a case of needing fresh ingredients for the natural poisons, such as frogs, snakes, plants etc. These poisons would have to be found locally (where the dwarf would be an expert)and the dwarf might be severely limited outside of his jungle environment as he has little knowledge of the ingredients needed in other lands. With time he will of course learn.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herbalism is so overlooked sometimes in D&D. :)

When I played in 2E, almost all of my characters had the Herbalism proficiency.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:02:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And their names were Cheech and Chong?

Sorry couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:06:38  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blinks a few times.*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:05:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Well, to be fair... I'd rather say just Chong.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:11:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Well, to be fair... I'd rather say just Chong.

Why do I suddenly have the munchies...

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  21:14:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a topic here, I know I did...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  21:34:17  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! I wasn't the one who went off topic this time!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  22:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that the old "gray" 1e Forgotten Realms boxed set had a bunch of poisons described in detail (ingredients and how to make them)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  22:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to learn more about poisons and herbs in the Realms. It just adds more to the game when your character can identify a poison that is more unique than... spider poison!!! How about Black leaf poison? Doesn't that sound cool. Not that it is a real poison. I think candlekeep has an herb description section which I read through once already. I picked a few things for a campaign I'm planning in the Dales. If only I had a poison or two to add.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  01:06:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I seem to recall that the old "gray" 1e Forgotten Realms boxed set had a bunch of poisons described in detail (ingredients and how to make them)

Aye, it does.

The FRA also mentions a few by name, with few supportive details.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if the character has access to magic this changes things a bit. in a magical toxicology lab one might have magically reinforced cages for exotic creatures, evil essence-harnessing devices, a collection of portals to different exotic locales to collect the different ingredients, and all sorts of containers with interiors environmentally suited to best preserve the substance within, these conatiners can float and spout openings of perfect size so they can be commanded to mix poisons all by themselves. a magical toxicology lab might be suited with area spells that nuetralize poison in case it spilled or leaked out into the room. a toxicology lab might rely on magically animated iron lung-esque apparati to cultivate spores and develop airborne pathogens.

or if the character doesnt have magic it should have ovens to store warm ingredients and cool ice wells to store cold ingredients. many escape passages so if it is in a land where toxicology is forbidden the maker can escape to safety easily.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000