Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Users of the Shadow Weave and Shadow Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ladern
Acolyte

Mexico
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Ladern's Homepage Send Ladern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running an adventure that involves shades, and one player is a monk/sorcerer that is spying in the rest of the PC's for orders of Shar clergy.

Obviously he wants to enter to the Dark Moon Order and i was thinking of giving him the shadow wave feat.

And now, i was thinking of using the Shadow magic from the Tome of Magic, but i don't know how to adapt the spells for a normal caster (i dont wan't to use the new casting rules on the book).

Any advises in this (as i also whant to use shadow magic for the Shade spells). And the way to blend normal magic and shadow magic (i think it would make a cool change, not only Mystra's black and white copy - wave) and the modifications to feats and class abilities that you consider.

Also, does anyone has seen a PrC for the Dark Moon Monks of Shar? any idea of the feats that it would need.

If life turns back at you.....

Sneak Attack for extra damage

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  14:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladern

I'm running an adventure that involves shades, and one player is a monk/sorcerer that is spying in the rest of the PC's for orders of Shar clergy.

Obviously he wants to enter to the Dark Moon Order and i was thinking of giving him the shadow wave feat.

And now, i was thinking of using the Shadow magic from the Tome of Magic, but i don't know how to adapt the spells for a normal caster (i dont wan't to use the new casting rules on the book).

Any advises in this (as i also whant to use shadow magic for the Shade spells). And the way to blend normal magic and shadow magic (i think it would make a cool change, not only Mystra's black and white copy - wave) and the modifications to feats and class abilities that you consider.

Also, does anyone has seen a PrC for the Dark Moon Monks of Shar? any idea of the feats that it would need.

I don't know if there are any actual prestige classes for the Dark Moon Disciples, but there are some substitution levels available for its monks - they were slotted into the Web Enhancement for Champions of Valour, in lieu of a proper WE for Champions of Ruin. You can download the .pdf from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a.

I don't know if your character is already past the requisite levels or not; in any case, I hope this helps.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  20:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladern:

Many of the Mysteries in Tome of Magic function similarly to spells in the Player's Handbook. You can modify the Mysteries by ruling that whenever the monk/sorcerer casts a spell that is similar to a Mystery, then the spell functions as the Mystery description instead of the Player’s Handbook description.

Also, each Mystery has an equivalent level listing, so you could rule that if the monk/sorcerer wants to cast Black Fire (Tome of Magic, page 142) then he should first add it to his spells known list as a 2nd level spell.

As you know Mysteries are broken up into four categories (called paths) of power (Fundamental, Apprentice, Initiate and Master). I think that this is as much a game balance rule as it is a flavor rule. Because of this, I would advise you to at least follow the rules for learning Mysteries presented in the Tome of Magic.

However if you feel this is too restrictive, just follow my advice in the first paragraph and I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun!

Good luck with your campaign!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 15 Jul 2006 20:23:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000